Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Do you buy in bulk? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/797720-do-you-buy-bulk.html)

Gibbs 02-23-2013 04:38 AM

Do you buy in bulk?

As I'm thoroughly enjoying the case of sausage I bought from work, patties, pre-cooked and ready to go, I was wondering if anyone else buys in bulk? And what products? I also have a case of hard boiled, shelled eggs coming!!

LiterateGriffin 02-23-2013 04:50 AM

Oh, HECK yes!!

I buy the big vacuum-sealed packages of meat (rib eye, beef tenderloin -- aka filet minon, pork, etc) that you have to cut up yourself. I can buy rib-eye for $5.99 that way when it's selling for $10.99 at the grocery. (Have also gotten some really nice and tender top sirloin for $2.99/lb, which is what's usually charged for ground beef, around here!)

I picked up 40 lbs of bacon in bulk, several months back. Recently got 40 lbs of catfish... have some sausage, and 80 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts coming my way soon!

I used to buy my eggs by the case (15 doz -- like used in food-industry) before we moved. Now I can only find half-cases (7 doz), which is fine, because my fridge is smaller and I wouldn't have room for the whole case.

Generally speaking, if I can find it in bulk, I'll buy it that way... And am generally pretty darned pleased with my savings! I also love having a freezer full of meat. Particularly when a paycheck is going to be tight for some reason, I take a perverse pleasure in saying, "Well, I guess we'll just have to eat Rib Eye this week." Oh, woe is us. :laugh:

Nigel 02-23-2013 06:26 AM

I buy things in bulk and vacuum seal them.
Mostly nuts and almond flour.

I also vacuum seal anything that I don't use very often.

For bulk buys, whatever is a good deal wherever I shop.

I bought a gallon of dill pickles...don't kow if that would be considered bulk.

I shop a lot at Sam's and get bulk stuff there.

I shop the bulk bins at Whole Foods and Sprouts for various beans, soy, etc.

greybb1 02-23-2013 06:31 AM

I do too. I buy hamburger from Zaycon foods, 40 pounds in 4 10 pound packs. I eat a lot of burger and this is the best. Practically no fat or water in it. I add either bacon fat or chopped pepperoni to it to give it some fat.

I also buy meat from Costco, steaks, ribs and roasts.

My dad raises Black Angus and he's raising a calf for me that I'll have butchered next year. I'm only going to keep 1/4 of it, that will be about 125 pounds of meat.

Like LiterateGriffin I love having a freezer full of meat!

I'm jealous about the eggs! I wish I could find them here.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 02-23-2013 11:48 AM

I am very interested in Zycon foods. Does anyone else use this company?

greybb1 02-23-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE (Post 16276384)
I am very interested in Zycon foods. Does anyone else use this company?

Never had anything but excellent meat from this company and excellent service and you absolutely cannot beat the price for the quality. I get 93/7 burger that is amazing.

They also couldn't make it easier for you to pick up the meat. You drive up by the truck, tell them your name, they check your order, you pop the trunk, they put it in and off you go!

Here are some of the things they've had for sale in the last year I've been a customer are:
burger
boneless skinless chicken breasts
whole smoked hams
breaded chicken tenders (par cooked)
bacon
cat fish fillets
salmon
smoked salmon
chicken wings
sausage links and patties
shrimp
talapia

I'm soooo tempted to buy the smoked hams and I probably will next time it goes on sale.

Deb 02-23-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greybb1 (Post 16275747)

I also buy meat from Costco, steaks, ribs and roasts.

YES !

i cant figure out why people shop any where else for there meat
we make a afternoon out of cutting and ziplocking and.....

we have 3 freezers:heart:

I have a pantry in my suite here and 2 in the basement for canned and dry stock also

people say i am a food hoarder/junky

:confused:

:jumpjoy:

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 02-23-2013 12:55 PM

how do you find out where the truck is going to be?

greybb1 02-23-2013 02:50 PM

Here's the locations link https://www.zayconfoods.com/locations

Click the subscribe and you should see what's offered in your area, where the locations, and when the pickup hours are. The ground beef event happens about every 4 months as well as the chicken event. It works out great if you can get someone else to go in with you.

LiterateGriffin 02-23-2013 03:03 PM

I've been using Zaycon, too. That's where I got my bacon & catfish, and where I have my chicken coming from.

I missed one pickup (ground beef :( ) I was really upset, because I wanted the meat. But when I contacted them, they simply credited my account for the full amount.

You can also get 'credits' if you refer someone who places an order... $1 goes to your account for each order they place.

The boneless, skinless chicken I'm getting? $1.79/lb.

And a few things they've had HERE recently have included fully-cooked buffalo wings, and smoked-salmon (much smaller quantity, and delivered FedEx to the door). (I got the salmon, but not the wings... That was just BEFORE my wings-fixation.~chuckles~)