Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Expert Bakers....substituting maltitol honey for real honey in Paleo recipes... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/797706-expert-bakers-substituting-maltitol-honey-real-honey-paleo-recipes.html)

razberry 02-22-2013 05:06 PM

Expert Bakers....substituting maltitol honey for real honey in Paleo recipes...

I've run across many really great Paleo baking recipes that are very low carb except that many use regular honey. I have LC maltitol honey that tastes just like the real thing, but I know sugar adds more than just sweetness to recipes, it thickens and changes consistency of the baked goods. What would I need to add in with the maltitol honey to be able to use the recipes? I can't have the carbs with the real honey, banana, etc., that Paleo recipes often call for.

Ginaaaaaa 02-22-2013 05:35 PM

You are going to use honey for honey so it should work fine. If you were going to sub sugar for honey you would just use some extra liquid or water in the recipe to make up for the moisture from the honey.

Malitol I believe acts a lot like sugar, that's why it's used in store bought baked goods because its sweet like sugar and acts like sugar in recipes.

I can't eat anything with malitol it makes me really sick.

buttoni 02-22-2013 06:56 PM

Yes, I have had good luck using the sugar-free honey in recipes. For several cookie recipes, using it in lieu of the real honey maintained the chewiness in the recipe. Omitting made the cookies dry and hard.

CarolynF 02-23-2013 05:18 AM

If you can eat them without any intestinal distress, then go for it. Glad you found a sub.

Another thought...LC maple syrup?

ravenrose 02-23-2013 08:11 AM

xylitol honey is better, I believe. maltitol acts just like sugar for my blood sugar PLUS gives me diarrhea. forget it for me!

low-carb-c 02-25-2013 12:59 PM

I'm not a maltitol fan. My tummy is not happy when I eat it. I've had good luck subbing DaVinci's syrups in recipes that call for honey. I either use a flavored syrup, use vanilla with a bit of LorAnn honey flavoring, or use a small amount of molasses with the DaVinci's.

razberry 03-02-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16275926)
xylitol honey is better, I believe. maltitol acts just like sugar for my blood sugar PLUS gives me diarrhea. forget it for me!

I never thought about maltitol raising blood sugar. I'm trying to keep mine down, as I'm borderline. I'll order the Xylitol honey. Does it effect your BS any? Can you bake with it?

razberry 03-02-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16275316)
Yes, I have had good luck using the sugar-free honey in recipes. For several cookie recipes, using it in lieu of the real honey maintained the chewiness in the recipe. Omitting made the cookies dry and hard.

You are such a talented baker. Thanks so much!

razberry 03-02-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 16275652)
If you can eat them without any intestinal distress, then go for it. Glad you found a sub.

Another thought...LC maple syrup?

That's a good idea. I actually have some but it's quite thin....