Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Almond flour equivalent (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/797620-almond-flour-equivalent.html)

afunnyladyNJ 02-21-2013 03:38 PM

Almond flour equivalent

I have some recipes that call for soy flour. I don't want to use soy, and would like to sub with almond or coconut flour. Does anyone know how much to use if it calls for 1 cup of soy flour? I need to keep my carbs low! I tried searching online for a converter but couldn't find what I was looking for.
Thanks - Sandi

rosethorns 02-21-2013 03:50 PM

Sandi I don't think there is a converter. But if you put up the recipe that will make it easier for us to help you.

afunnyladyNJ 02-21-2013 03:57 PM

Esther - It's a recipe for 'Ricotta Carnival Fritters' aka Zeppole. The author is George Stella and I downloaded his ebook Monday. He uses soy products in most of his recipes, along with Splenda. I sub his ingredients with good results, but the soy flour has me stumped. Here's the ingredients:
2 cups canola oil *
1 cup soy flour (recommend:
Arrowhead Mills brand)
1⁄2 cup sugar substitute
(recommend: Splenda)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
3 large eggs

Note: * the canola oil is for the deep fryer.

Soobee 02-21-2013 04:00 PM

I would try more almond flour, say 1 1/4 cups, and less coconut flour, say 1/4 to 1/3 cup.

lil.trubl 02-21-2013 04:05 PM

Look up the "Wheat-belly Cookbook" as the auther talks about how to sub almond and coconut flour for soy and wheat... happy hunting

rosethorns 02-21-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afunnyladyNJ (Post 16272954)
Esther - It's a recipe for 'Ricotta Carnival Fritters' aka Zeppole. The author is George Stella and I downloaded his ebook Monday. He uses soy products in most of his recipes, along with Splenda. I sub his ingredients with good results, but the soy flour has me stumped. Here's the ingredients:
2 cups canola oil *
1 cup soy flour (recommend:
Arrowhead Mills brand)
1⁄2 cup sugar substitute
(recommend: Splenda)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
3 large eggs

Note: * the canola oil is for the deep fryer.

I thought it was his. I saw it on facebook. Soobee is right that will do it. But I don't know if you can fry them with these ingredients. Try a few at first and see if it works. If not bake the whole thing.

When he was on tv I tried his recipes and found out I'm allergic to soy.There are some of his I've been able to sub and they come out great.Don't get discouraged if this doesn't work.
When you get the hang of it you'll know how to change a recipe. It takes a while.Some you can sub almond flour only. I should download his recipes.

I hope that helps.

rosethorns 02-21-2013 04:31 PM

Sandi look at your batter when you change things. You may need more liquids too.

Yep I would check out the wheat belly cookbook.

Oh yeah Sandi I'm from Woodstown NJ.

Soobee 02-21-2013 04:44 PM

I forgot to add that if you use coconut flour, you usually need more eggs.

afunnyladyNJ 02-21-2013 04:56 PM

Thanks Soobee, lil trubl, and Esther. I'll see if one of my friends has the Wheat Belly cookbook.
Esther, I wasn't sure where Woodstown was, but I see it's in Salem County. That should be right next to PA, right?

rosethorns 02-21-2013 05:10 PM

PA & Delaware Sandi.Ive read wheat Belly and get there news letter but I don't have the cookbook.