Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: srbtennispro
using flax seed meal like bread crumbs?

I often use a mix of ground frenches onions and parm chesse to make a crust like coating for things like chicken tenders. However, sometimes it is a little salty- how do you think using less of the fried onions and throwing in some flax seed meal would work?
srbtennispro is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I for one don't like flax so I can't help you there but what I do use is ground up pork rinds or pork rind flour. Of course pork rinds are salty too but I think the saltiness you are tasting is coming more from the parmesan.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Ok, thanks, but does it even make sense I guess, I've used it a few times to make a LC bread, just wondering if it would work as a filler more or less to cut down some on the other ingredients; and I agree, I'm not a huge fan of the taste either.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I think the frenches onions are pretty salty and have quite a few carbs too. People do use flax as a breading and it would help with the saltiness, but I think it burns quicker so you might need to cut your chicken pieces smaller so they will cook faster. I like to use flour mixes and add Parmesan and spices too.

I have used Jennifer's bake mix mixed with parmesan for breading, and others have used the fantastic flour mix to bread meat and poultry.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Yeah, I don't worry too much about the carbs in the onions, I don't use that much of them anyway. I'm going to be baking the chicken in the recipe I'm using so I don't think with it mixed in with the other stuff that burning would be a problem
Old 02-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I love flax in bread/muffin applications but it does not work as a breading for me. Almond Flour/Parm mix with seasonings is great. I use that to make chicken parmesan.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote