Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Liquid whey

Wow, someone on another forum linked to a King Arthur Flour website article about liquid whey. Really interesting info. When I drain my yogurt I have heretofore tossed the whey down the sink. But as a buttermilk sub, I'm going to start saving it. Here's a copy/paste of the key part of the article:

Let’s make some whey.

You can drain yogurt in a sieve with coffee filters; or through cheesecloth, tied in a bag and set over a draining bowl in the fridge...........the result is thick yogurt with very mild tang and lovely flavor. So, don’t think good Greek-style yogurt requires spending lots of money on fancy yogurt to begin with.

Now, besides the yogurt, you’ve captured the drained liquid whey. Eight ounces if you’ve drained a pint of yogurt; a full 16 ounces, if you’ve drained a quart.

I often use whey in place of water in my yeast bread recipes; yeast loves its mild acidity. Plus, I love its protein and calcium.

And I’ve found it’s a great substitute for buttermilk in all kinds of treats, like these 100% Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins.

These muffins are SO tender and SO moist, they’ve quickly become my family’s favorite breakfast treat. Give ‘em a try – I’m betting your family will agree.

And from now on – save the whey!

Just thought I'd share in case you all have been tossing out the whey like I have. I didn't know it HAD a use! Ya learn something everyday.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
Look at all the great things we learn from this site, thanks Peggy................. Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Peggy, do you use homemade yogurt or store bought? If its store bought what kind/brand do you like?

Thanks for the tip!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mikalama
Yet another good use is to make lacto-fermented vegetables, as explained by Sally Fallon in her wonderful book, Nourishing Traditions. I have made sauerkraut and pickles using her technique, and they have turned out wonderfully!

BTW, she says that the whey will last 6 months refrigerated. You only use a small amount per batch of fermented food, so it is a good thing that it doesn't go bad quickly.
mikalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Great info Peggy. I dont make Greek yogurt because I dont have the heart to throw out the whey. Next time I bake I will try this though. I have gained 5 lbs so it may be a long time before I bake.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: birdlady46
Stats: 170/155/145
WOE: modified low carb
Start Date: Nov 2008
DIY Yogurt

After purchasing a frozen ice cream, yogurt, sorbet maker, I decided that I was paying too much for a container of greek yogurt. Frozen yogurt with DV syrups, some fresh/frozen fruits are delish! So I make my own yogurt. One gallon non-fat milk, adding 1/2 cup dried milk. Mix well. Heat gradually, stirring continuously, to 180F. Place pot in large bowl filled w/ice. Stir to lower temp to 110F. Now you add a small amt of yogurt - I have used Stoneyfield and Chobani. You need a yogurt w/several cultures. 2-3 T. Scoop out one cup of the milk-wisk in yogurt-add to milk. Place milk in a crock pot liner or any non-metallic container. My oven has a bread proofing setting - 100F - I leave it all night. In the a.m. I line a colander w/a diaper towel. Place yogurt in colander. Place a small bowl under the colander to keep colander out of the whey. This can be on the counter or in the frig. This can be 2-6 hrs. I usually end up w/a large Fage -35 oz - of Greek style yogurt.
Marilyn
birdlady46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Peggy, do you use homemade yogurt or store bought? If its store bought what kind/brand do you like?

Thanks for the tip!!
Gina, I've never made it. I just buy the Great Value Walmart brand, largest carton they sell, and drain it off until it's reduced by about 50% volume. Tastes GREAT for recipes, and I really don't like yogurt at all. I don't do yogurt plain straight out of a carton, in ANYTHING. Only drained off, and only in recipes for cakes, cheesecakes and savory Indian recipes. Haven't been able to eat it right out of a carton since I lived in Iran age 10. Reminds me in smell and taste too much of the goat and sheep yogurt they made over there.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Thanks Peggy, I don't like yogurt by itself, I do use it in baking, but I usually will use sour cream instead. I'm dont really know too much about yogurt, so I thank you for the info.

I would buy it just to get the whey though.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote