Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Liquid whey (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/797432-liquid-whey.html)

buttoni 02-19-2013 04:12 AM

Liquid whey

Wow, someone on another forum linked to a King Arthur Flour website article about liquid whey. Really interesting info. When I drain my yogurt I have heretofore tossed the whey down the sink. But as a buttermilk sub, I'm going to start saving it. Here's a copy/paste of the key part of the article:

Letís make some whey.

You can drain yogurt in a sieve with coffee filters; or through cheesecloth, tied in a bag and set over a draining bowl in the fridge...........the result is thick yogurt with very mild tang and lovely flavor. So, donít think good Greek-style yogurt requires spending lots of money on fancy yogurt to begin with.

Now, besides the yogurt, youíve captured the drained liquid whey. Eight ounces if youíve drained a pint of yogurt; a full 16 ounces, if youíve drained a quart.

I often use whey in place of water in my yeast bread recipes; yeast loves its mild acidity. Plus, I love its protein and calcium.

And Iíve found itís a great substitute for buttermilk in all kinds of treats, like these 100% Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins.

These muffins are SO tender and SO moist, theyíve quickly become my familyís favorite breakfast treat. Give Ďem a try Ė Iím betting your family will agree.

And from now on Ė save the whey!

Just thought I'd share in case you all have been tossing out the whey like I have. I didn't know it HAD a use! Ya learn something everyday.

Ann Lytle 02-19-2013 05:49 AM

Look at all the great things we learn from this site, thanks Peggy................. Ann

Ginaaaaaa 02-19-2013 03:33 PM

Peggy, do you use homemade yogurt or store bought? If its store bought what kind/brand do you like?

Thanks for the tip!!

mikalama 02-19-2013 06:45 PM

Yet another good use is to make lacto-fermented vegetables, as explained by Sally Fallon in her wonderful book, Nourishing Traditions. I have made sauerkraut and pickles using her technique, and they have turned out wonderfully!

BTW, she says that the whey will last 6 months refrigerated. You only use a small amount per batch of fermented food, so it is a good thing that it doesn't go bad quickly.

Heidinem 02-20-2013 03:55 AM

Great info Peggy. I dont make Greek yogurt because I dont have the heart to throw out the whey. Next time I bake I will try this though. I have gained 5 lbs so it may be a long time before I bake.

birdlady46 02-20-2013 05:31 PM

DIY Yogurt

After purchasing a frozen ice cream, yogurt, sorbet maker, I decided that I was paying too much for a container of greek yogurt. Frozen yogurt with DV syrups, some fresh/frozen fruits are delish! So I make my own yogurt. One gallon non-fat milk, adding 1/2 cup dried milk. Mix well. Heat gradually, stirring continuously, to 180F. Place pot in large bowl filled w/ice. Stir to lower temp to 110F. Now you add a small amt of yogurt - I have used Stoneyfield and Chobani. You need a yogurt w/several cultures. 2-3 T. Scoop out one cup of the milk-wisk in yogurt-add to milk. Place milk in a crock pot liner or any non-metallic container. My oven has a bread proofing setting - 100F - I leave it all night. In the a.m. I line a colander w/a diaper towel. Place yogurt in colander. Place a small bowl under the colander to keep colander out of the whey. This can be on the counter or in the frig. This can be 2-6 hrs. I usually end up w/a large Fage -35 oz - of Greek style yogurt.
Marilyn

buttoni 02-21-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 16268424)
Peggy, do you use homemade yogurt or store bought? If its store bought what kind/brand do you like?

Thanks for the tip!!

Gina, I've never made it. I just buy the Great Value Walmart brand, largest carton they sell, and drain it off until it's reduced by about 50% volume. Tastes GREAT for recipes, and I really don't like yogurt at all. I don't do yogurt plain straight out of a carton, in ANYTHING. Only drained off, and only in recipes for cakes, cheesecakes and savory Indian recipes. Haven't been able to eat it right out of a carton since I lived in Iran age 10. Reminds me in smell and taste too much of the goat and sheep yogurt they made over there. :sick:

Ginaaaaaa 02-21-2013 06:05 PM

Thanks Peggy, I don't like yogurt by itself, I do use it in baking, but I usually will use sour cream instead. I'm dont really know too much about yogurt, so I thank you for the info.

I would buy it just to get the whey though.