Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceanlover66
WOE: low carb
New here! Ready to shop and need help

Hi everyone!
I am new to the boards, but not real new to low carbing. I just started in January. But I still have SOOOO much to learn. Here are the issues I am having. In looking at the Netrition site, I would like to know ....what are your MUST HAVES in your cupboards? This is what I am looking for.

First, I saw Carbquick. I miss having pancakes, muffins, etc.

I also am looking for low carb bread. I have never made homemade bread in my life. I do have a bread machine. Any suggestions on this?

Sweetners. I gave up my 3-4TBSP of sugar in my coffee for the past million years to NO sugar at all. Again, since January. Right now, I am eating 12 grain bread, but has about 18g per slice for lunch. I need to have a sandwich for lunch!!! Which sweetner do you like? I also LOVE cold green tea, but I need something to sweeten it with otherwise it tastes dry and bland. Plus, if I bake. Help?

And I keep hearing about this flavored liquid. There are so many flavors. I would love to make a slushie out of them, but with all the different ones, I don't know which ones to buy.

The fat debate. Right now I use half and half and powdered creamer in my coffee. Bad?
Butter or one of those buttery spreads?

A little background. I am 45 yo , female. Currently I have controlled high BP with lowest dose of meds.(Dr. thinks it is my anxiety). I have IBS, and I found out my cholesterol was 210 with the trigs being at 197. Up from 142 last year. I have anxiety and depression and started Amitryptiline last year. Only 30mg per day. But I wonder if that is what pushed up my trigs. Because I have ALWAYS lived on sweets. Maybe it just caught up with me. I have had impaired fasting blood glucose for the past 3 years. 102-107. But good A1c's and good two hour PP meal levels. I am 5'3" tall. Weighed in at 144, down to 138 now(since January). I dance one day a week doing tap, and do 30-45 minutes of dance and/or Zumba the other 2 to 3X a week. I have a belly. That is my downfall. I look like I am pregnant. Have had a belly since having my first child in 1990. And had two more kids and it just got worse.

So, I need to get those trigs lowered. And would love to have normal FBG levels again.

Would love to know what to buy. I do not have any healthfood stores around me, so I need to buy these things online. Appreciate any help you can offer!

Last edited by oceanlover66; 02-18-2013 at 07:59 PM..
oceanlover66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
Stats: 184/177/163/158
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2009
Well you're sure asking for a lot of info, you don't want to overwhelm yourself.

I will try and answer your questions with what I have learned. I'm not a doctor and I don't think I can tell you what you should follow as far as a diet but I can tell you what works for me. I can tell you that if you're just starting out you may want to try just eating clean at first, meats, vegetables and healthy fats. Try not to do too much low carb baking or you might get frustrated and give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlover66 View Post
Hi everyone!
I am new to the boards, but not real new to low carbing. I just started in January. But I still have SOOOO much to learn. Here are the issues I am having. In looking at the Netrition site, I would like to know ....what are your MUST HAVES in your cupboards? This is what I am looking for.

First, I saw Carbquick. I miss having pancakes, muffins, etc.

I also am looking for low carb bread. I have never made homemade bread in my life. I do have a bread machine. Any suggestions on this?

Sweetners. I gave up my 3-4TBSP of sugar in my coffee for the past million years to NO sugar at all. Again, since January. Right now, I am eating 12 grain bread, but has about 18g per slice for lunch. I need to have a sandwich for lunch!!! Which sweetner do you like? I also LOVE cold green tea, but I need something to sweeten it with otherwise it tastes dry and bland. Plus, if I bake. Help?

And I keep hearing about this flavored liquid. There are so many flavors. I would love to make a slushie out of them, but with all the different ones, I don't know which ones to buy.

The fat debate. Right now I use half and half and powdered creamer in my coffee. Bad?
Butter or one of those buttery spreads?

A little background. I am 45 yo , female. Currently I have controlled high BP with lowest dose of meds.(Dr. thinks it is my anxiety). I have IBS, and I found out my cholesterol was 210 with the trigs being at 197. Up from 142 last year. I have anxiety and depression and started Amitryptiline last year. Only 30mg per day. But I wonder if that is what pushed up my trigs. Because I have ALWAYS lived on sweets. Maybe it just caught up with me. I have had impaired fasting blood glucose for the past 3 years. 102-107. But good A1c's and good two hour PP meal levels. I am 5'3" tall. Weighed in at 144, down to 138 now(since January). I dance one day a week doing tap, and do 30-45 minutes of dance and/or Zumba the other 2 to 3X a week. I have a belly. That is my downfall. I look like I am pregnant. Have had a belly since having my first child in 1990. And had two more kids and it just got worse.

So, I need to get those trigs lowered. And would love to have normal FBG levels again.

Would love to know what to buy. I do not have any healthfood stores around me, so I need to buy these things online. Appreciate any help you can offer!
If I were you and had IBS I would stay away from Carbquick and all grains for that matter, as well as dairy. You can try using almond flour, coconut flour, oat fiber, and psyllium for baking, but with IBS I would probably be careful with eating foods with lots of fiber. There are tons of recipes on here using those ingredients as flour and breading, and Parmesan and crushed pork rinds work for breading as well.

Low carb bread is a tough one and something that most people have a hard time replacing. I like the Fantastic Flour Mix for pizza, bread, cakes, muffins, pancakes, pie, donuts. Here's the link so you can check it out.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...flour-mix.html

For sweeteners I like to use liquid Splenda also know as ez-sweetz because the granular has maltodextrin in it and it makes me sick. I also like to use Xylitol and Erythritol which is 70-75% as sweet as sugar. Stevia is also good, the nunatural is the best one ive found.

You will find that it takes a while to learn how to bake with low carb ingredients but once you do it will be just like baking with regular flours and sugars.

I think the flavored liquid you're talking about is the davinci syrups, there are lots of flavors and I guess it depends on what you personally like for flavors. If you want to make slushies I would think fruit flavors like raspberry and those types of flavors would be what you're looking for. I like to buy the simple syrup and add my own extracts and I use Capella drops too. I also like the vanilla for baking.

As for the fat debate you should know that healthy fats are not your enemy and they're good for you. Carbs and sugar are your enemy and are not good for you, they cause you to store fat instead of burning it off. Forget about everything you learned about low fat, it was made up so the big companies could sell their junk food. When you eat low carb your body will go into fat burning mode so you will need to eat healthy fats. Your body burns fat or it burns carbs and sugar so if you eat fats and carbs and sugar your body will burn carbs and sugar and store fat.

Normal BS is between 70-100, so you want to stay as close to that all the time. I've been diabetic for 15 yrs, and control it by eating low carb. If your type 2 you can more than likely control your BS with diet. Some doctors have BS numbers for diabetics too high, like I said you want to try and keep your BS as close to normal as you can.

Eating low carb and exercising are the best way to keep your BS under control. This forum is very helpful and there's a lot of information to take in, but just remember this, its taken you 45 years to learn how to eat the WRONG WAY, so don't expect to learn to eat the RIGHT WAY in a short amount of time. Just take baby steps, learn what you can and don't try to change everything at once.

I don't know what type of low carb diet you're planning but I can give you a list of ingredients that I buy monthly and you can decide what you want to try. I wouldn't go out and buy a bunch of ingredients at once because most of us have learned an expensive lesson by doing that. a lot of these ingredients you've probably never even heard of, I know I didn't before I came here.

My list

Almond flour
Coconut flour
Oat fiber
Xylitol
EZ-Sweetz
Davincis syrup
unflavored Protein powder
eggwhite powder
glaucomannan powder
Psyllium Husk Powder
Flaked Coconut, Unsweetened
Cream
Butter
Coconut oil

So there you have it!! Welcome to the forum and good luck on your journey.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If I were you and had IBS I would stay away from Carbquick and all grains for that matter, as well as dairy. You can try using almond flour, coconut flour, oat fiber, and psyllium for baking, but with IBS I would probably be careful with eating foods with lots of fiber. There are tons of recipes on here using those ingredients as flour and breading, and Parmesan and crushed pork rinds work for breading as well.
Just wanted to add concerning my IBS. I do not have the "normal" type of IBS where I have C or D. I can eat anything and nothing bothers my stomach. It has only acted up twice. Once in 2007 and once last year when I had my appendix out. I just get very bad lower pelvic pains. I take meds and I never have any pains. So the Carbquick wouldn't harm me. My IBS is anxiety induced.

Thank you so much for all the help and advice!!!! Yes, I was always told eat low fat. I was told that Coconut oil is infamous for raising LDL?

What about egg yolks? Bad? Good?

Yes, it has taken me 45 years of eating badly. And it's funny how I keep hearing from diabetics(Which I am not a diabetic) that their dieticians tell them to eat low fat but yet carbs are fine? Makes no sense.

My goal is to get down to 130, I am at 138 now.

I am going to be looking at your ingredients. Do you make your own breads? Again, thanks so much
Old 02-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MSBONES
Quote:
Do you make your own breads? Again, thanks so much
Do you have Sara Lee 45 calorie & Delightful Breads in your area? This has 13 g Carbs for TWO slices & it is really good. If you do, you will need to pay attention to the nutrition facts cause you can easily grab the wrong loaf and it will be 15 carbs per slice. If you go to the sara lee website, you can put in your zip code and it will tell you if someone sells it near you. Good luck
MSBONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Gina very well said !!!!!

Oceanlover this is a Journey that is out of this world.Only you can do this. I have been at my sister for 2 years to start her journey. She has
for the last 6months. She is doing great.

MSBONES is right about Sara Lee Bread. It use to be 5 grams per slice
years ago.

This is a great thread to read. There is a lot of info but not all of it.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...s-newbies.html

Good Luck Oceanlover.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Just wanted to add concerning my IBS. I do not have the "normal" type of IBS where I have C or D. I can eat anything and nothing bothers my stomach. It has only acted up twice. Once in 2007 and once last year when I had my appendix out. I just get very bad lower pelvic pains. I take meds and I never have any pains. So the Carbquick wouldn't harm me. My IBS is anxiety induced.

Thank you so much for all the help and advice!!!! Yes, I was always told eat low fat. I was told that Coconut oil is infamous for raising LDL?

What about egg yolks? Bad? Good?

Yes, it has taken me 45 years of eating badly. And it's funny how I keep hearing from diabetics(Which I am not a diabetic) that their dieticians tell them to eat low fat but yet carbs are fine? Makes no sense.

My goal is to get down to 130, I am at 138 now.

I am going to be looking at your ingredients. Do you make your own breads? Again, thanks so much

Well, I'm still going to advise against the carbquick, its highly processed and has quite a few controversial ingredients and has a really funny taste, but you're welcome to try it. I like using parmesan for coating chicken and pork, and a lot of people like using crushed pork rinds and the fantastic flour mix (link below) works great for coating meats and for biscuits, cakes, cookies, pancakes, pies, donuts and even for thickening gravies and sauces.

I can point you to some threads for bread, but everyone's tastes are different, low carb food will never taste exactly like the high carb food you use to eat but we are always coming up with recipes on here that taste as close to the real thing as possible. I don't make a lot of breads but I've been making pizzas using this crust recipe.
This is the flour mix original thread
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...flour-mix.html

This is the flour mix sticky thread with links to all the recipes in the original thread

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html

Better Than Flour Pizza

1 1/4 Cup Better Than Flour Mix(link above)
3 Tbsp Psyllium Husk Powder
1/4-1/2 Tsp Salt (didn't really measure)
2 tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 tbsp of Basil
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tbsp Baking Powder
3 Large Eggs
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients and mix until blended. Add eggs and mix until well combined. Add boiling water and mix until dough thickens (I just use a fork to mix the eggs in then add water and mix until all the water is mixed in and the dough comes together). Place the dough on a piece of parchment cut to fit the pan and then put a piece of plastic wrap over the dough, pat it into a round and roll it out, I roll to about 1/8" and use a large cookie sheet. After its rolled out I top it with sauce, cheese and whatever toppings you like.

Place in oven and Bake for 25 minutes.

You should prepare yourself for a lot of trial and error when it comes to low carb baking, A lot of recipes use uncommon ingredients and will make your head spin trying to decide which ones to try.

Here's some threads that will get you started with bread making and bread substitutes.

Good Bread Recipe

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ad-recipe.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-improved.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16009752

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...se-rounds.html

There are tons of amazing recipes on this forum, you will find low carb main dish recipes, sweets, breads and side dishes.

Egg yolks are fine, high cholesterol is caused by eating carbs and sugar, not by eating foods that contain cholesterol, so eggs and healthy fats like unrefined oils and butter are good for you.

You want to be mindful about baking sweets because even though they may be low carb they all have artificial sweeteners that should be used sparingly, at least that's what I keep telling myself. lol

You can search the forum if you're looking for certain recipes like breads, cakes, beef, chicken, pork or fish recipes by going here

Low Carb Friends - Search Forums

By the way, I know you said that your IBS isn't that bad and is caused by stress but you should really do some research on grains and IBS and other health related issues caused by eating grains.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Wow, it sounds like I have SO much to learn here. Def going to look into that bread.Wonder if I can order it online if nobody carries it. I did see a whole thread on carbquick that seemed positive so that is why I was asking. Was looking for something good to make some muffins, breads, pizza crusts, rolls etc.
I cannot eat things that have a lot of fiber. It gives me such bad gas pains. And whole grains, I always though they were good.???? Guess not because whole grains are mainly in breads, correct?
I have to keep my iron levels up as well since I take 3 iron pills a day. The 3 things I know I need to do. Keep my blood sugar normal, lower my trigs, and lose the belly fat. (Oh and keep my iron levels up). So red meat is good for you even though Dr's say it is bad for you?
I have to admit. I am not a cooker and a baker. I always just cooked stuff from a box!
So I am going to be looking at all the recipes. I also get confused as to what fats are GOOD and what ones are BAD.
Thank you ladies for all the help and advice so far. I have a lot of reading to do!!!!
ETA: Do many people buy from Netrition?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
If you are going to bake good low carb foods, you are going to do a lot of shopping at Netrition.

Like others have said, breads are an individual taste thing with each recipe. I like Carbquick, but other do not. You will have to try it and see. It might be best to abstain from bread product for a few weeks so you can learn what to eat instead of sandwiches. It's hard at first, but it is a habit worth changing.

Fats.. Best cooking oil?
I use bacon grease and lard for a lot of things too.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow, it sounds like I have SO much to learn here. Def going to look into that bread.Wonder if I can order it online if nobody carries it. I did see a whole thread on carbquick that seemed positive so that is why I was asking. Was looking for something good to make some muffins, breads, pizza crusts, rolls etc.
I cannot eat things that have a lot of fiber. It gives me such bad gas pains. And whole grains, I always though they were good.???? Guess not because whole grains are mainly in breads, correct?
I have to keep my iron levels up as well since I take 3 iron pills a day. The 3 things I know I need to do. Keep my blood sugar normal, lower my trigs, and lose the belly fat. (Oh and keep my iron levels up). So red meat is good for you even though Dr's say it is bad for you?
I have to admit. I am not a cooker and a baker. I always just cooked stuff from a box!
So I am going to be looking at all the recipes. I also get confused as to what fats are GOOD and what ones are BAD.
Thank you ladies for all the help and advice so far. I have a lot of reading to do!!!!
ETA: Do many people buy from Netrition?
Carbquick has 14 grams of fiber per 1/3 cup so its quite high in fiber.

Whole grains are usually higher in fiber too and are usually high carb as well, and the body can't tell the difference between refined and unrefined carbs.

As far as what fats are good and what ones are bad, fats from grass fed pastured meats free of antibiotics and hormones are healthy, they are not processed. All other fats go through some type of process but like I said, cold pressed coconut oil and olive oil are less refined so are better options than refined. No matter how healthy a fat is though, you should limit how much fat you have in a day, your body will store what it can't use.

Red meat is high in iron but there are other foods high in iron also. Just do a quick google search for iron rich foods.

You should have no problem keeping your blood sugar normal as long as you watch your carb intake and always try to eat low carb breakfast with protein. I find when I skip meals it raises my blood sugar.

Most everyone here shops at netrition.