Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
LC Gingerbread...

Found this recipe on Pinterest, but need to find a substitute for the blackstrap molasses. Gingerbread is a big favorite of ours, and I'd love to make a breakfast version with some added protein powder and denser texture. Also, I'm not sure this would be sweet enough; doens't have any other SF sweeteners added. Any ideas for modifications or better gingerbread recipes?

Recipe: Grain-Free Paleo Gingerbread
Ingredients

3 eggs, beaten
2/3 c. blackstrap molasses (need subtitution)
1/2 c. coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. maple extract
3 c. almond flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cardamom
2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Instructions

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, molasses, coconut oil, vanilla and maple extracts and beat well.
In another bowl, combine the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet slowly, combining well.
Spread the batter in a 13X9 greased glass dish (I used coconut oil to grease the pan).
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes THEN reduce heat to 225 and bake an additional 20-30 minutes until edges are brown and center firmed up.
Let cool completely before cutting.
[img]3rd goal - get to Onederland by New Years Day!!
Make a lifestyle/eating change forever
Down 50 pounds after starting back July 5th
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
2/3 of a cup!!! That's a lot for blackstrap!! I would think you could cut that in half and maybe 1/2 SF maple syrup.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Take it down to a Tablespoon of blackstrap molasses and sweetner and s/f maple syrup.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
One of my older recipes for gingerbread you might like to try. I've made it several times now as my DH just really likes this one a lot. It only has 1 T. molasses, along with some Splenda and erythritol. But it won't pass Paleo muster since it has oat flour in it. You might be able to sub in a blend of 3/4 c. almond and 1/4 c. coconut flour for the oat flour and try my recipe, adding in the cardamom in the other recipe if you want it. If you do and the batter is way thick, add an egg......that'll be the coconut flour soaking up all your moisture. Not making any promises it'll be as good, but you might like to give that a try.

Gingerbread Bars #2 (Sorry, unable to retrieve a pic on photobucket at the moment, but this recipe is on my site if you want to go look at the pic for this gingerbread)

These cooked up about 3/4″ tall. I think these would be excellent baked in a smaller pan (for taller pieces) and served topped with a dollop of whipped, sweetened cream.

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. oat flour
2/3 c. UNSWEETENED, unflavored whey protein powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. ground ginger
3/4 c. granular Splenda (or equivalent sweetener of your choice)
1/4 c. granular erythritol
1 T. oat fiber (NOT oat bran!)
1 T. flax meal
4 egg whites (I used the egg whites from a carton)
2 8-oz jars baby food carrots (I used Gerber)
water (1-2 T., but only if batter is stiff)
1 T. coconut oil
1 T. molasses

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Line bottom of 7×12″ ceramic or metal baking pan with parchment paper. Measure out all dry ingredients onto a medium mixing bowl. Stir well. Beat in the egg whites and pureed carrots. Stir well. If your batter is stiff (brands of carrots vary on water content) just add some water 1 T. at a time and stir in. I did not have to do this using Gerber brand carrots. My batter was fairly thin, probably because I used carton egg whites, which aren’t thick like whole egg whites. Let batter set for 5 minutes so flax meal will thicken it up a bit.

Grease well the sides of your baking pan. Pour batter into pan, tap on counter to level batter and bake at 350º for about 20 minutes. These will spring back when touched at center when done. Remove, cool completely and cut into 16 equal pieces. The size of pan isn’t so important as getting exactly 16 pieces, so the counts below will be accurate. Larger pans will yield a thinner (and possibly a drier) bar; smaller ones will yield a taller, more cake-like bar. Your call on the pan size.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 16 bars, each contains:
57.9 calories
1.82 g fat
7.01 g carbs, 1.24 g fiber, 5.77 g NET CARBS
4.80 g protein
118 mg sodium
92.8 mg potassium
9.3 % RDA Vitamin A, 15.5 % manganese
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's a pic of my gingerbread recipe above:
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Here's a pic of my gingerbread recipe above:
omg!! wontz some of this!!!!!!!
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's real good. DH is always asking when am I gonna make it again. He just LOVES it! It's not as good as my old high-carb recipe. But it's the best low-carb one I've come up with so far. Nice and moist, too.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
2/3 cup of blackstrap molasses would be way to much in my opinion. A little blackstrap goes a long way and it's also really bitter. I would use the other posters suggestions and use no more than 1 tbs and use 1/3 cup erythritol or erytritol/stevia blend such as Steviva or Truvia and 1/8 tsp white stevia extract powder. If not sweet enough add a bit more erythritol or erythritol blend but don't add more white stevia powder.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
one of the flax muffins flavors I make is gingerbread. it's the usual 50/50 flax meal and oat fiber plus half that amount unsweetened whey protein isolate, with a little salt, some canned pumpkin for texture/moisture, ground ginger, the same quantity of gingerbread sugar free syrup and water as the flax amount, and eggs. I am vague on the amounts because it is very forgiving and will be good pretty much any way you make it. microwave in silicone muffin pan about 7.5 min for 6 full muffin cups.
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone! Oh my goodness those pics look so good - I'll have to check out your website! I do have sugar free honey made with maltitol that's really thick, and also gingerbread coffee 0 carb liquid flavoring, and sugar free maple syrup. I have Truvia and Zylitol, but no erythritol. I see alot of people are baking with that, so I may have to order some. I'll work around with the recipe a bit and let you know what I come up with that's good. I wish I were a great baker, but unfortunately, no. This will be my first attempt in a long time at LC baking. Threw me off last time, so I've waited a bit to try it again. If I could get a good pizza crust, a good gingerbread, and a good "chip" alternative, I'd be set. Everything else I'm happy with making lowcarb. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm at work, or I'd respond to each of you individually. I really appreciate the support!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It's real good. DH is always asking when am I gonna make it again. He just LOVES it! It's not as good as my old high-carb recipe. But it's the best low-carb one I've come up with so far. Nice and moist, too.

I remember your website now! You are a wonderful chef/photographer! Really inspiring.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I only consider myself "fair to middlin" at both, as we say in Texas. But it's sure sweet of you to say that, Raz.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by razberry View Post
Thanks everyone! Oh my goodness those pics look so good - I'll have to check out your website! I do have sugar free honey made with maltitol that's really thick, and also gingerbread coffee 0 carb liquid flavoring, and sugar free maple syrup. I have Truvia and Zylitol, but no erythritol. I see alot of people are baking with that, so I may have to order some. I'll work around with the recipe a bit and let you know what I come up with that's good. I wish I were a great baker, but unfortunately, no. This will be my first attempt in a long time at LC baking. Threw me off last time, so I've waited a bit to try it again. If I could get a good pizza crust, a good gingerbread, and a good "chip" alternative, I'd be set. Everything else I'm happy with making lowcarb. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm at work, or I'd respond to each of you individually. I really appreciate the support!
If you like a thin and crispy pizza crust - try this - we love it!

Thin & Crispy Pizza Crust! Easiest EVER! Pics included!

For "chips" - have you tried thinly-sliced jicama? I also like thin English cucumber slices for dipping. Of course you can always use pork rinds!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
My family loves the alldayIdreamaboutfood blog's gingerbread bundt cake. Really good!

The gingerbread scones are also excellent, and you can make them, roll out the dough, cut into wedges, and flash freeze. Then bake them when you are ready to eat. That's perfect if you want to have some in the freezer for emergency tea time I've started doubling the recipe when I make it so we have some extras to freeze. I almost double the ginger, and add a little extra sweetener.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
My family loves the alldayIdreamaboutfood blog's gingerbread bundt cake. Really good!

The gingerbread scones are also excellent, and you can make them, roll out the dough, cut into wedges, and flash freeze. Then bake them when you are ready to eat. That's perfect if you want to have some in the freezer for emergency tea time I've started doubling the recipe when I make it so we have some extras to freeze. I almost double the ginger, and add a little extra sweetener.
Is that the recipe posted here? Thanks
That Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I only consider myself "fair to middlin" at both, as we say in Texas. But it's sure sweet of you to say that, Raz.
That's right, you're in Temple, just a bit south of me! Wow! Small world.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
Yes, I'd like to try and find it here, too, if it's posted.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
If you like a thin and crispy pizza crust - try this - we love it!

Thin & Crispy Pizza Crust! Easiest EVER! Pics included!

For "chips" - have you tried thinly-sliced jicama? I also like thin English cucumber slices for dipping. Of course you can always use pork rinds!
I haven't tried jimama. Do you think it could be sliced thin and baked with some olive oil in the oven until firm like a chip? Add some vinegar and sea salt and I'd be in heaven! I'll have to try it. I've eaten it fresh/plain, with dips, and just love it. I'll also check out the pizza crust link. Thanks so much!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't gotten "crisp" baking jicama in the oven. But I have deep fried jicama "chips" successfully. Then you could add yout vinegar and sea salt. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ato-chips.html

Also did a BBQ and Nacho Cheese Chip with jicama.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by razberry View Post
If I could get a good pizza crust, a good gingerbread, and a good "chip" alternative, I'd be set.

That's the way I feel too! If I can just get a few "staples" to come out consistently right, then I'm home free! I'm going to try the celeriac root chips mentioned on your lighter side blog (google Crispy Celeriac Chips). That is today's challenge!
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
No, it is on the alldayidreamaboutfood blog. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link. She has a gingerbread bundt cake, which I make sans glaze and have never missed it. We also love the scones, but with extra ginger and a bit of extra sweetener to compensate.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote