Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!
 
razberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Anyone keeping your tried and true LC recipes on Pinterest???

I have started, and it's really kept me motivated. My most recent attempt will be the following recipe. My hubbie is a Chick-Fil-A addict, and I love it, too. Here is a recipe I found. Not sure if I should use almond or coconut flour as the breading. What do you think?
I have stayed on plan for 3 weeks now without cheating. My new motivation comes from Pinterest. I've been saving and trying wonderful recipes there. I have a new one that my hubbie has requested that I need to make lowcarb. He's a huge Chick-Fil-A fan, so I found these chicken bites. I'm going to try and make them lowcarb, but not sure if I should use almond or coconut flour. Here it is. Please share your recipes and motivation with me!
Chick-fil-A Bites
I came across these little chicken bites over at skinnyrunner.com. The recipe comes from iowagirleats.com.
Chick-fil-A Bites

Ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt & pepper
3/4 cup milk (I'll use almond milk/cream mixture)
1/4 cup dill pickle juice
1 egg
1 1/4 cups flour (I'll use coconut or almond flour)
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar (I'll use SF sweetener)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup peanut oil, divided (or canola or vegetable oil)

Directions: Whisk together egg, milk and pickle juice, and pour into a large Ziploc bag or bowl. Add chicken pieces and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.

Combine flour, powdered sugar, salt and pepper in a large Ziploc bag. Shake to combine. Remove chicken from the marinade and add into the bag. Shake to coat the chicken completely.

Heat half the oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat (6 or 7 out of 10.) Test the oil by dropping in a bit of the flour mixture. If it sizzles, the oil is ready, if it pops, lower the temperature a bit.

Gently place chicken pieces into the oil with tongs. Do this in 2 batches, as you don’t want to overcrowd the pan. Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on one side. Turn the chicken over and allow to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Heat the remaining oil and continue with the other half of the chicken pieces.
__________________
Met 1st goal - get below 250 again check!!!!
Current weight 234
2nd goal - get to 222 by Thanksgiving
[img]3rd goal - get to Onederland by New Years Day!!
Make a lifestyle/eating change forever
Down 50 pounds after starting back July 5th
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I keep my tried and true recipes in a folder on my computer and keep them backed up on an external hard drive. I know a lot of people love Pinterest but I just haven't got into it yet.


Here's what I would try if I were making it, but the coconut or almond flour would work too!

I came across these little chicken bites over at skinnyrunner.com. The recipe comes from iowagirleats.com.
Chick-fil-A Bites

Ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt & pepper
3/4 cup milk (I'll use almond milk/cream mixture) I would use calorie countdown or a mixture of cream and water-personal preference.
1/4 cup dill pickle juice
1 egg
1 1/4 cups flour (I'll use coconut or almond flour) I would use fantastic flour mix
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar (I'll use SF sweetener) I would use powdered xylitol
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup peanut oil, divided (or canola or vegetable oil)

Directions: Whisk together egg, milk and pickle juice, and pour into a large Ziploc bag or bowl. Add chicken pieces and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.

Combine flour, powdered sugar, salt and pepper in a large Ziploc bag. Shake to combine. Remove chicken from the marinade and add into the bag. Shake to coat the chicken completely.

Heat half the oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat (6 or 7 out of 10.) Test the oil by dropping in a bit of the flour mixture. If it sizzles, the oil is ready, if it pops, lower the temperature a bit.

Gently place chicken pieces into the oil with tongs. Do this in 2 batches, as you don’t want to overcrowd the pan. Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on one side. Turn the chicken over and allow to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Heat the remaining oil and continue with the other half of the chicken pieces.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Always on, slightly off
 
CindyCRNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,018
Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
I have put a couple of recipes from here onto Pinterest and I have also pinned from some LC sites. There is quite a bit on Pinterest that is LC and there are more all the time.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,617
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Yes as Gina says. I did this sorta with the mix and made " chicken nuggets". They were so good.I baked mine. The coating stayed on really good.

I haven't really done anything with Pinterest. I like the pics though.

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-18-2013 at 02:16 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
MSS726's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 141
Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
I love Pinterest, and I have pinned quite a few, but if they are really good, I save them to my computer only because a few that I have found and clicked on are gone, especially from blogs. I don't want to take a chance of losing them, since some are fabulous!
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
razberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Thanks so much! I'll try it with your suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razberry View Post
I have started, and it's really kept me motivated. My most recent attempt will be the following recipe. My hubbie is a Chick-Fil-A addict, and I love it, too. Here is a recipe I found. Not sure if I should use almond or coconut flour as the breading. What do you think?
I have stayed on plan for 3 weeks now without cheating. My new motivation comes from Pinterest. I've been saving and trying wonderful recipes there. I have a new one that my hubbie has requested that I need to make lowcarb. He's a huge Chick-Fil-A fan, so I found these chicken bites. I'm going to try and make them lowcarb, but not sure if I should use almond or coconut flour. Here it is. Please share your recipes and motivation with me!
Chick-fil-A Bites
I came across these little chicken bites over at skinnyrunner.com. The recipe comes from iowagirleats.com.
Chick-fil-A Bites

Ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt & pepper
3/4 cup milk (I'll use almond milk/cream mixture)
1/4 cup dill pickle juice
1 egg
1 1/4 cups flour (I'll use coconut or almond flour)
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar (I'll use SF sweetener)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup peanut oil, divided (or canola or vegetable oil)

Directions: Whisk together egg, milk and pickle juice, and pour into a large Ziploc bag or bowl. Add chicken pieces and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.

Combine flour, powdered sugar, salt and pepper in a large Ziploc bag. Shake to combine. Remove chicken from the marinade and add into the bag. Shake to coat the chicken completely.

Heat half the oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat (6 or 7 out of 10.) Test the oil by dropping in a bit of the flour mixture. If it sizzles, the oil is ready, if it pops, lower the temperature a bit.

Gently place chicken pieces into the oil with tongs. Do this in 2 batches, as you don’t want to overcrowd the pan. Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on one side. Turn the chicken over and allow to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Heat the remaining oil and continue with the other half of the chicken pieces.
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!
 
razberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I have put a couple of recipes from here onto Pinterest and I have also pinned from some LC sites. There is quite a bit on Pinterest that is LC and there are more all the time.

Yes, I have saved mine into categories. I went back and looked at the original boards I'd made with all of the high carb foods, and am tempted to just delete them. Hopefully I'll replace all of my old favorites with new LC ones. I know that I'll have to eat this way for the rest of my life, so it needs to become my norm. I'm not very creative, so it gives me a way to see what others are doing and get ideas. I tend to fall off track from boredome and monotony, so maybe it will be the thing, other than this board, that keeps me on track. Hey, whatever works!
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
razberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS726 View Post
I love Pinterest, and I have pinned quite a few, but if they are really good, I save them to my computer only because a few that I have found and clicked on are gone, especially from blogs. I don't want to take a chance of losing them, since some are fabulous!
Thanks! I never thought about losing the pinned links. I haven't been doign it that long, but you're right. I need to go back and save my tried and trues so I won't lose them. Some of them I've pinned the ingredient list, so that when I'm bored and want to know what I can make, I can easily see what works with the ingredients I have.
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS726 View Post
I love Pinterest, and I have pinned quite a few, but if they are really good, I save them to my computer only because a few that I have found and clicked on are gone, especially from blogs. I don't want to take a chance of losing them, since some are fabulous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by razberry View Post
Thanks! I never thought about losing the pinned links. I haven't been doign it that long, but you're right. I need to go back and save my tried and trues so I won't lose them. Some of them I've pinned the ingredient list, so that when I'm bored and want to know what I can make, I can easily see what works with the ingredients I have.
I like you & others have repinned recipes I've found on Pinterest. Haven't put any on there myself.
But, I have found that some of the things I've pinned are missing (at least sometimes). I think they (Pinterest) either delete some of them, or they just don't show all of what "we" have pinned, and it may alternate. That really aggrevates me. But then it is free. But it is aggravating when they get us hooked, make it seem like your pins will be there for you, then they disappear!!
I too keep all my recipes in files on my computer. I do try to keep them backed up, but I get behind. I need to do that tomorrow!! (Too sleepy tonight, it's late!)
I have a nook (simple nook) which I bought actually mainly for recipes (I'm not a reader). I have been saving a lot of my recipes to PDF, and putting them on the nook. It started out to just be for trying new recipes, but I got an 8gb disk for it, and have been putting quite a few on it to use from there (and keeping there).
__________________
Billie

***********
For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
***
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
razberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
That's a great idea! I've never had any come up missing, but I'm going to start saving the ones I'm most interested in, or the ones I've made and liked, on the hard drive, or emailing them to my recipe email.
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.