Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/150.9/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Beef Knowledge- what do you know about Swiss steak and brisket?

My dad raises grass-fed beef for our families. ( so grateful for that...) We get all kinds of cuts. I have done a brisket on the Traeger, and it was outrageously good. Anybody have a TNT oven technique and recipe?

The Swiss steak is stacking up. I looked online but saw a lot of "cream of" recipes. Any good low carb ideas? Also, does it require a low and slow cook to get to tender?
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Hummm.... Swiss steak. I do it 2 ways and one can be LC. You could dip it in egg, roll it in plain, crushed pork rinds, season with seasoning salt and pepper and fry over med/low heat. Then make a LC gravy.....let me think as I don't really do LC. Almond Breeze won't work.....probably need something like Hood LC milk or thinned out HWC. Maybe take the grease you fried your steaks in and wisk in a bit of glucomannan, seasoning salt/pepper and HWC/water or a low carb milk and bring to a simmer until thick to make something like country fried steak. When I make swiss steak, I do the above but also saute onion and bell pepper, put it on top the browned steak and top with pureed stewed tomatoes but you could used crushed canned if you can take the carbs. Cover with a lid and simmer an hour. If you can take some carbs, thicken your gravy with flour and use thinned HWC for the country fried steak and simmer in crushed tomatoes for the swiss steak. I'm sure better LC cooks will chime in here. Even not being LC, I do like the crispness of pork rind coating.

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
SWISS STEAK

Swiss Steak is something my mother fixed often when I was young and I just LOVED it! She was inclined to serve it with traditional carb-y mashed potatoes, but I serve mine now with a mash of seasoned cauliflower. Just as good in my opinion. Mom didn’t put the red wine in her Swiss Steak either, but I think it transforms the ordinary into something special. You can use cube steak, round, chuck, sirloin or I even occasionally use 20-21 oz. raw beef shank (5 oz. worth of marrow bone must be trimmed out). I like to pound whatever meat I use for this with a cleaver to tenderize it a bit. The Resistant Wheat Starch (mostly deductible fiber) I dredge over this meat before browning isn’t necessary, but it only adds .25 net carbs per serving and tends to make a much browner, tastier gravy. Your call on that one. You can just brown the meat directly in the oil and save the fraction of a carb from each serving, if you don’t have RWS or prefer to not use it. This dish is Induction friendly and extremely nutritious. Check out the stats below!

INGREDIENTS:

16 oz. beef cube steak, round, chuck, sirloin (or 21 oz. cross-cut beef shank, bone trimmed out)
1 T. Resistant Wheat Starch (optional for dredging, but calculated below)
2 T. coconut oil (or olive if you prefer)
4 oz. sliced onion
1 large green bell pepper, sliced
3 Roma tomatoes, cubed large
Dash each salt and black pepper
¼ c. red wine (I used Zinfandel)
2 c. water (or beef broth if available)
Small amount of your favorite thickener (optional)

DIRECTIONS: Cut meat into 4 portions. Pound meat on both sides with a cleaver to tenderize it a bit. Dredge both sides of each piece with the Resistant Wheat Starch, if using. Heat oil in non-stick skillet and brown over high heat until nicely browned on both sides. Add onion and brown a minute or two. Add bell pepper and tomato, the water (or broth) and wine. Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook about 45 minutes to 1 hour. you want the meat to get tender, but not to cook the veggies to death. If I can remember, I wait 15-20 minutes into the simmering before adding the bell pepper so it doesn’t totally fall apart. I like to thicken my gravy with a sprinkle of thickener, but thickening isn’t necessary. Serve topped with a generous portion of the sauce and veggies. This is nice with mashed cauliflower or steamed, seasoned zucchini noodles.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes four 4-oz servings, each contains:

352.3 calories
15.75 g fat
8.3 g carbs, 3.28 g fiber, 5.02 NET CARBS
40 g protein
97 mg sodium
530 mg potassium
45% B6, 83% B12, 53% C, 19% copper, 43% iron, 51% niacin, 38% phosphorous, 20% riboflavin, 70% selenium, 84% zinc
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I just recently did my first grass-fed brisket in the oven at 325º and it was adequately tender with a GREAT flavor. But I think I will cook it much slower next time (300º) so it will be even more tender. I may even do it in my roaster over all day long at 250º to see how that does, too. Like I said, it was my first time doing a GF brisket, so I had no idea of knowing how tender (or not tender) it would come out. Certainly wasn't fall apart tender like commercial briskets cook in the oven.

This is how I did it:

OVEN ROASTED GRASS-FED BEEF (pic is on my website)

Because grass-fed, grass-finished beef is so much leaner than ordinary mass-produced commercial beef in grocery stores, it tends to cook up drier and a bit tough if you don’t take special precautions to compensate for that. The 5# chunk of brisket you see in the pic above was cooked slow, surrounded by a little water and covered with foil for part of the cooking time and then cooked open for the remaining time. It came out tender and VERY flavorful. Healthy goodness! I usually put a bit of rub on mine. This is suitable for all phases of Atkins and for Paleo-Primal diners as well. I served mine with a broccoli souffle and a tomato/cucumber salad.

INGREDIENTS:

1 4-5# piece of grass-fed beef brisket
½ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. minced dehydrated garlic
½ tsp. onion powder
¼ tsp. dill seed, crushed
¼ tsp. dehydrated red bell pepper (optional)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Mix all the spices together and sprinkle over all surfaces of the meat. Place meat in large roasting pan and pop into oven, uncovered for 1 hour. Lower heat to 325º and remove pan from oven. Pour ½ ” water in the bottom of the pan around the meat. Tightly cover with a piece of large aluminum foil and pop back into oven and cook for about 4-5 more hours. Check once and replenish water if below 1/4″ deep. Uncover for the final hour of cooking to get a nice brown crusty surface on the meat. Meat is well done (how I prefer oven-roasted cuts like this) when it reaches an internal temperature of 140º on your meat thermometer. I may like rare steak, but I don’t like my brisket rare. Remove from the pan and let it sit on a cutting board for 10 minutes before cutting/slicing. Thicken the juices in the pan with your favorite thickener, deglazing any tasty brown bits stuck to the sides of the pan, seasoning as needed with salt and pepper. Serve with your favorite sides. Leftovers freeze and reheat well in foil.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: One 4 oz. serving contains:

340 calories
22 g fat
50 mg sodium
0 g carbs, 0 fiber, 0 NET CARBS
32 g protein
22 % RDA Vitamin B6, 122% B12, 15% copper, 40% iron, 8% magnesium, 30% niacin, 39% phosphorous, 23% riboflavin, 50% selenium, 7% thiamin, 97% zinc
buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/150.9/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Thank you!! Both those recipes look awesome Buttoni, and your ideas Cindy are helpful as well.

Can I dredge them in almond flour? Will that make a crust the way regular flour does? I don't
Have resistant wheat starch.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
Thank you!! Both those recipes look awesome Buttoni, and your ideas Cindy are helpful as well.

Can I dredge them in almond flour? Will that make a crust the way regular flour does? I don't
Have resistant wheat starch.
I think almond flour would burn and get bitter but I have never tried it.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote