Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cabbage Rolls (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/797396-cabbage-rolls.html)

Widget 02-18-2013 11:17 AM

Cabbage Rolls

My son has been bugging me for 2 yrs. to convert my cabbage roll recipe to low carb, so today I did. It turned out really good. The recipe calls for a cup of sour cream which ends up being only 2 tablespoons per serving, so don't let the amount of sour cream in the recipe scare you off. You can substitute your own seasonings, this is just the blend of seasonings I like best. I put optional on the shirataki noodles or Miracle Rice 'cause I know some people don't use them. Of course it means you won't have quite as much hamburger mixture, but it shouldn't change the taste either way.

Cabbage Rolls (makes 8)

8 cabbage leaves

7 oz. pkg. Miracle Rice OR shirataki noodles (optional)

8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon

1 lb. ground beef
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Mrs Dash, Table Blend
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 egg
1 tablespoon prepared mustard

1 cup sour cream

Cook the cabbage leaves in boiling, salted water for 3 minutes. Drain, set aside to cool.

Rinse the rice or noodles under running water for 2 minutes, drain. Place in a non-stick skillet and stir-fry until the liquid has evaporated. If using noodles, chop them in the food processor. Set aside.

In a small bowl, stir together the tomato sauce and bouillon, set aside.

Saute the ground beef, butter, onion, celery, salt, pepper, Mrs Dash and garlic powder until the beef is browned.

Grease a square or rectangular baking pan and spread the tomato sauce mixture on the bottom.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl, use a fork to beat together the egg and mustard. Stir in the ground beef, then the rice.

Place about 1/8 of the mixture on each cabbage leaf. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Place cabbage rolls in the pan. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.

Place the sour cream in a small bowl and microwave until warm. Remove the rolls from the pan, stir the sour cream into the pan drippings. Place the rolls back in the pan and spoon the sauce over the rolls.

rosethorns 02-18-2013 12:32 PM

These look great Widget.

I use cauliflower rice to make my cabbage rolls and stuffed peppers.

Widget 02-18-2013 01:48 PM

Yeah, I tried cauliflower as a substitute for rice when I made stuffed peppers. It was OK, but to me Miracle Rice has more the texture of real rice. Of course cauliflower can be substituted. The good thing about this recipe is the ground beef is pre-cooked, so you don't have all that liquid and goop cooking out of the hamburger into the sauce, and the sauce is yummy.

gello5440 02-18-2013 03:09 PM

As soon as my oven is repaired this is on the menu. It sounds so good!

rosethorns 02-18-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Widget (Post 16266151)
Yeah, I tried cauliflower as a substitute for rice when I made stuffed peppers. It was OK, but to me Miracle Rice has more the texture of real rice. Of course cauliflower can be substituted. The good thing about this recipe is the ground beef is pre-cooked, so you don't have all that liquid and goop cooking out of the hamburger into the sauce, and the sauce is yummy.

When I get the COURAGE to try tthe rice and noodles I will try this Widget.:shake:

It really sounds lovely.

buttoni 02-18-2013 04:02 PM

Sounds VERY good, Widget!

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 02-19-2013 01:18 PM

Gotta try this. I used to love cabbage rolls.

slbbw 02-19-2013 01:29 PM

Yanno, I think I would enjoy miracle rice more in a recipe like this where many strong flavors are included. On my list! :)