Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   my daily bread, improved (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/797373-my-daily-bread-improved.html)

Heidinem 02-18-2013 06:54 AM

my daily bread, improved

This is a high fat, high fiber bread that really tastes good

1/2 c flaxmeal
1/4 c almond meal
1/4 c oat fiber
1 T coconut flour
2 T chia seed
1 t baking powder
2 T water
1-2T olive oil
2 T coconut oil
2 eggs

Mix all ingredients & bake @ 350 for 25 minutes. Makes 8 slices.

Nigel 02-18-2013 12:17 PM

Thank you for the recipe. It sounds good to me.

CarolynF 02-18-2013 01:11 PM

Looks great..What size pan???

buttoni 02-18-2013 04:30 PM

It does sound good. Ditto on what size pan did you use Heidi?

Heidinem 02-19-2013 03:34 AM

I use 5x7 Pyrex & bake in my toaster oven for 20 minutes. Regular oven takes longer. My toaster oven is a combo toaster with a tiny oven cavity that has just the right amount of space for this (hard to find) glass dish. I cut the bread into 4 squares & then slice each into halves. I used to double this recipe & bake in a glass loaf pan but then had to try to get even slices & had to refrigerate the leftovers. Using the small pan I get enough for 2 days for hubby & myself & the bread stays fresh without refrigerating.

I tried adding chia seeds to my diet soon after I began this diet & developed all kinds of digestive problems. However, adding coconut oil to this bread seems to have taken care of those issues :). The coconut flour adds a dryness to the bread that I like. I love coconut in all its forms, including the flour.

Mrs S 02-20-2013 08:39 AM

I made this and it's in the oven now. Can't wait to try it for lunch. I had to make a few adjustments due to ingredients on hand and tasting as I mixed it.

1/2 c flaxmeal
1/4 c almond meal
1/4 c oat fiber
1 T coconut flour
2 T chia seed, ground
1 t baking powder
3 T almond milk, unsweetened
4T olive oil
2 eggs
1/4 tsp sea salt
5 drops stevia glycerite

I upped the liquid to 3T because the dough was so thick and dry. This might be due to my grinding the chia seeds. Anyway, while I wait for it to bake, I calculated the carb info for the whole recipe as I made it.

Calories- 1220
Fat- 194
Net Carb- -10 (yes, that's minus 10 carbs)
Protein- 37.6

I'll follow up later after tasting it. Thanks Heidinem!

Thefram4 02-20-2013 09:16 AM

Just made this its lovely :clap: thank you

Even my husband who is not big on low carb bread alternatives liked it, so that is a definate success

Mrs S 02-20-2013 11:34 AM

I just had my lunch and I have to say the bread was really good. I like the blend of 'flours'- the bread doesn't have too strong a flavor of any particular one. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Pam 02-20-2013 12:37 PM

I would like to make this bread, but I don't have any chia seeds. Do I really need them? Can I substitute something else?

Ginaaaaaa 02-20-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam (Post 16270303)
I would like to make this bread, but I don't have any chia seeds. Do I really need them? Can I substitute something else?

Chia seed adds moisture to baked goods so you could probably try adding extra fat or liquid to take its place. Alternatively you could use glucomannan, xanthan or guar gum for moisture as well.

Mrs S 02-20-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs S (Post 16269683)
I made this and it's in the oven now. Can't wait to try it for lunch. I had to make a few adjustments due to ingredients on hand and tasting as I mixed it.

1/2 c flaxmeal
1/4 c almond meal
1/4 c oat fiber
1 T coconut flour
2 T chia seed, ground
1 t baking powder
3 T almond milk, unsweetened
4T olive oil
2 eggs
1/4 tsp sea salt
5 drops stevia glycerite

I upped the liquid to 3T because the dough was so thick and dry. This might be due to my grinding the chia seeds. Anyway, while I wait for it to bake, I calculated the carb info for the whole recipe as I made it.

Calories- 1220
Fat- 194
Protein- 37.6

I'll follow up later after tasting it. Thanks Heidinem!

I just reran my numbers and saw that I made a couple of mistakes. I've double checked it this time. The correct info for the whole recipe:
Calories 1220
Fat 104.5
Net Carb -10 (negative 10)
Protein 36.6

Sorry for any confusion. :o

Heidinem 02-21-2013 04:10 AM

Thanks for running those numbers!. The bread works very well without chia seeds and and it is also good with the addition of cheese, jalapenos or sun dried tomatoes. I was looking for a way to include chia & coconut oil on a daily basis while avoiding digestive problems from the chia & this bread seems to fit the bill. I'm so glad that those of you who tried it liked it :).

I also liberally grease the pan with coconut oil. I would like to get at least 1T of coconut oil per day, I am insulin resistant and worry about Diabetes 3! I think Dr Newport recommends 6T per day.

at_last 02-21-2013 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs S (Post 16269683)

Calories- 1220
Fat- 194
Protein- 37.6

Your recipe looks great! However, it isn't possible to have negative net carbs. Fiber is a part of total carbohydrates. It's never more than the total carbs. Net carbs are determined by subtracting fiber from total carbs.

According to my calculations for the whole loaf:

Calories: 1407
Fat: 129
Total Carbs: 60.82
Fiber: 55.6
NET CARBS: 5.27
Protein: 36.88

Boboelink 02-21-2013 05:04 AM

Thank you for this recipe. I am really longing for a slice of toast this morning and am going off to my kitchen to whip this up, if possible. I know I do not have all the ingredients like chia seeds--but have most of them...so will improvise and see how I do. Somewhere I have a recipe for almond bread too...that's very easy and straight forward. So hopefully I'll be able to have that slice of toast for breakfast today. Thanks again.

Mrs S 02-21-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by at_last (Post 16271384)
Your recipe looks great! However, it isn't possible to have negative net carbs. Fiber is a part of total carbohydrates. It's never more than the total carbs. Net carbs are determined by subtracting fiber from total carbs.

According to my calculations for the whole loaf:

Calories: 1407
Fat: 129
Total Carbs: 60.82
Fiber: 55.6
NET CARBS: 5.27
Protein: 36.88

That's what I thought too and was surprised at the negative number. Now I'm wondering if the nutritional calc I'm using for ingredients isn't so reliable. Hmmm...

Brendajm 02-21-2013 05:25 PM

I made this yesterday and it is really good. I had Chix salad sandwich today. Yum. I made it exactly as written. I wasn't too sure about the baking powder. It says 1 t.. I used one tbsp but was worried that it should be one tsp

Ginaaaaaa 02-21-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 16273149)
I made this yesterday and it is really good. I had Chix salad sandwich today. Yum. I made it exactly as written. I wasn't too sure about the baking powder. It says 1 t.. I used one tbsp but was worried that it should be one tsp

Tablespoon is either T or tbsp and Teaspoon is t or tsp.

What size pan did you use?

Brendajm 02-22-2013 07:07 AM

my pan was a problem, I used an 8 by8 as I didnt have a 5 X7, it would of worked ok but it stuck some and my bread ripped in half getting it out.

Ginaaaaaa 02-22-2013 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This bread reminds me of banana bread. I want to get some banana flavoring to add to it. I used all olive oil and left out the chia seeds.

It toasts up nice but didn't get crunchy or crispy. Maybe I will try toasting it at a lower temp to see if I can get it crispy.

I liked it with my eggs this morning.

Tweaker Geek 02-22-2013 03:01 PM

Gina - did you replace the chia seeds with something else or just leave out entirely? And when you say all olive oil - does that replace the water, coconut oil and olive oil - so 5 or 6 Tbsp. olive oil?

Ginaaaaaa 02-22-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 16274988)
Gina - did you replace the chia seeds with something else or just leave out entirely? And when you say all olive oil - does that replace the water, coconut oil and olive oil - so 5 or 6 Tbsp. olive oil?

I left the chia seeds out and I used 4 tbsp of olive oil, left out the coconut oil and used the 2 tbsp water.

Tweaker Geek 02-22-2013 06:23 PM

Thank you!

Ginaaaaaa 02-24-2013 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made French toast with this, it tastes good but its too dense. I liked the bread using the fantastic flour mix better for french toast.

This bread would make a great quick bread, add in some fruit, sweetener and extract and I bet it would be yummy!