Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Best sweetner (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/797349-best-sweetner.html)

princessmommy 02-17-2013 04:12 PM

Best sweetner

Until now i've used splenda but it doesn't work to well in my opinion for cheesecakes etc. So i'm getting ready to buy some new LC products so which is best to get? Ez sweets? Or that other sweetner that starts with an E can't remember the name Lol!!

margame 02-17-2013 04:58 PM

i don't use much sweetener so i won't recommend any.

just remember that nutrasweet and equal contain aspartame. aspartame breaks down into a few different components when it's digested, one of them being methanol (wood alcohol). the american environmental protection agency (epa) sets the safe consumption level of methanol at 7.8 milligrams per day, so for me, aspartame is on the NO WAY list.

the weston a. price foundation has a good write-up about sweeteners under the heading "sugar-free blues".

the weston a. price foundation (westonaprice.org) has a good write-up about sweeteners under the heading "sugar-free blues".

sya_unit 02-17-2013 05:23 PM

I like splenda, ezsweetz, stevia. I have a bit of everything. Use different things for different applications.

princessmommy 02-17-2013 05:31 PM

Anyone tried ez sweets in cheesecakes etc? For baking? I usually use splenda in cheesecakes and baking but it has a bitter flavor I don't like. I'd love to find something that tastes close to sugar

clackley 02-17-2013 05:35 PM

The best for cheesecake is a combination of erythriyol and xylitol.

LadyN 02-17-2013 05:39 PM

I use a combo of xylitol and erythritol and stevia. Xylitol and stevia i use a 1:1 ratio. My stevia measurs 1 dropperul equals 1/4 cup. So For 1 cup of sugar I sub 3/4 cup of the xylitol Erythritol and one dropperful of stevia. This makes a wonderful sub for sugar in all of my sweet recipes. I found that this fools many regular sugar eaters! I also powder my own sweetner in a coffee grinder set aside for that purpose. I have family members that still need sweet treats sometimes, and this is the only sweetner combo I use.

CindyCRNA 02-17-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmommy (Post 16264572)
Anyone tried ez sweets in cheesecakes etc? For baking? I usually use splenda in cheesecakes and baking but it has a bitter flavor I don't like. I'd love to find something that tastes close to sugar

Isn't ez sweets liquid Splenda? LadyN's combo sounds good.

princessmommy 02-17-2013 06:04 PM

See I didn't know What ez sweets was LOL! I just remember seeing the name in some recipes. I love making cheesecakes, especially for occasions where I Know there will be HC junk but I just haven't found that sweetner that tastes like actual sugar or at least as close as I can get Lol
thanks!!

rosethorns 02-17-2013 07:02 PM

No it is not Splenda. Splenda is scrauolose cut with maltodextrin.

ezsweets.....is liquid sucralose.....not cut with anything....wonderful for cheesecake.No aftertaste.

Erythritol is a polyol ........good for chocolate
stevia.......all natural sweetner.
Xylitol........good for chocolate.

Splenda or ezsweets is not good for chocolate
Synergy is want you want. More than one sweetner.

I hope that helps.

princessmommy 02-17-2013 07:42 PM

Perfect rosetorns! Exactly what I Needed!!!

lterry913 02-18-2013 06:23 AM

I use a combo of ez sweets and erthritol even for chocolate and it works awesome. Just remember erythritol can make things crunchy or cool tasting so grind it in a coffee grinder or magic bullet to get it fine/powdered for baking...and to eliminate the coolness taste factor use half of what the recipe calls for and half ez sweets. The bitter taste you get from the powdered splenda is from the fillers that are used to bulk it up. You will be happier with the new sweeteners you choose.
Erythritol has carbs but a low glycemic index ...might even be 0...so a lot of people disregard those carbs...it depends on the individual.

watcher513 02-18-2013 06:39 AM

I use EZ-Sweetz in cheesecakes with no problem at all. It saves lots of carbs too.

ravenrose 02-18-2013 12:03 PM

but people usually use the shortcut "splenda" when they mean sucralose in any form, I think.

Ginaaaaaa 02-18-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16265820)
but people usually use the shortcut "splenda" when they mean sucralose in any form, I think.

Not me because I can't handle the granular type which has maltodextrin, it makes me extremely sick. I can only use the liquid form.

That said, I mostly use liquid Splenda, xylitol and erythritol. I use both granular and powdered xylitol and erythritol for baking, but when I'm making frostings or using as a coating for donuts, those types of things I only use the powdered forms because the granular is very crunchy.

There is also a sweetener blend that I like very much.

Bobo's sweetener blend

1 cup erythritol
1 cup Splenda
1/8 tsp Stevia extract

1/3-1/2 cup = 1 cup sugar sweetness.

CindyCRNA 02-18-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 16265973)
Not me because I can't handle the granular type which has maltodextrin, it makes me extremely sick. I can only use the liquid form.

That said, I mostly use liquid Splenda, xylitol and erythritol. I use both granular and powdered xylitol and erythritol for baking, but when I'm making frostings or using as a coating for donuts, those types of things I only use the powdered forms because the granular is very crunchy.

There is also a sweetener blend that I like very much.

Bobo's sweetener blend

1 cup erythritol
1 cup Splenda
1/8 tsp Stevia extract

1/3-1/2 cup = 1 cup sugar sweetness.

This sweetener blend sounds good but what form of Splenda are you using since you don't use the granular?

Ginaaaaaa 02-18-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CindyCRNA (Post 16266101)
This sweetener blend sounds good but what form of Splenda are you using since you don't use the granular?

Liquid splenda, I add it in with the liquids.

elainesmith 02-18-2013 03:00 PM

Ginaaaaa,

I'm confused ...how do you measure in the splenda?

1 cup splenda, 1 cup E and 1/8 t stevia use 1/3-1/2 c = 1 cup...don't understand how you work it out.

Ginaaaaaa 02-18-2013 03:20 PM

Well if you were using the granular Splenda mix you could just measure out the right amount and you would use 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup sweetener mix per 1 cup of sugar needed, although I always thought the mix was a 1:1 sub.

What I do is mix the E and stevia and add the liquid Splenda in with the wet ingredients.
So say my recipe called for 1 cup of sugar, I would use 1/4 of the E and stevia mix and add liquid Splenda to equal 1/4 cup, then taste and see if I needed to add more. It's better to add too little than too much because you can always add more if needed. I'm sure its not exact but I'm more of a taste as you go baker and depending on how sweet I wanted it. Even when I baked with real sugar I added what I wanted to a recipe not always what the recipe called for.

Sorry I can't help out more than this, but maybe someone else can chime in with more accurate measurements.