Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Yaz
Senior LCF Member
 
Yaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 333
Gallery: Yaz
Psyllium Husk Bread (loaf) with Protein Powder

Psyllium Husk Bread (loaf) with Protein Powder, Flax Meal & Pea Fibre (Whey Concentrate) Boiling water method.

I modified my recipe from the following blog.
CrossFit CatCave: Psyllium Husk Bread (edited)

At the time I made this loaf I didn't have any Oat Fibre so I used the Pea Fibre that I had. In the future I will use Oat Fibre instead as it has better stats then Pea Fibre.

My recipe is as follows, I do change it up from time to time, sometimes adding seeds and sometimes leaving it plain. My original loaf was made with Pea Protein and it rose very nicely but flattened and it was too moist. I find that whey protein is much better for this loaf.

INGREDIENTS
60 g Psyllium Husk
30 g Golden Flax Meal - I'm sure you could sub this with almond or coconut flour if you don't want to use flax.
1 Eggs, Large - room temperature
159 g Simply Egg Whites - room temperature
42 g Olivio Light Spread
1 tsp Magic Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/8 tsp Salt
2 tsp Spices, Onion Powder
1 cup Water - boiling
50 g Pea Fibre - I will sub oat fibre next time, this may impact the amount of water that is needed.
100 g Whey Protein Concentrate, Unflavored

Mix dry ingredients (grind husk into powder) Add boiling water LAST after eggs and oil have been mixed in.

Baked at 350F for 65 minutes. I have a very old gas stove/oven so your temperature and baking time may vary.

I used a standard size loaf pan and got 18 slices out of the loaf. The batter is very solid and sticky, so I used the back of a silicone spatula that I dipped in water to flatten out the batter/dough.

The texture is a "little" spongy because of the psyllium husk, so I think adding coconut flour might help with this. I found that when I added sunflower and pumpkin seeds to the mix the texture was not really noticeable at all.

Last edited by Yaz; 02-17-2013 at 01:35 PM..
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Sounds good, I have everything but the pea fiber which I may sub with whey. I'm not sure when I will get it made but I will post my results when I do!!

Thanks for sharing!

Ps. You may want to remove the link and just post the name, to be on the safe side. They don't allow a lot of links to other blogs and websites.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Yaz
Senior LCF Member
 
Yaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 333
Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Sounds good, I have everything but the pea fiber which I may sub with whey. I'm not sure when I will get it made but I will post my results when I do!!

Thanks for sharing!

Ps. You may want to remove the link and just post the name, to be on the safe side. They don't allow a lot of links to other blogs and websites.
If you have oat fiber I would use that instead (pea fiber has calories and carbs) or you could omit the fiber altogether. The original recipe doesn't use any fiber, I added it to add bulk to the loaf and attempt to get a higher loft and density.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
Ginaaaaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,398
Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
If you have oat fiber I would use that instead (pea fiber has calories and carbs) or you could omit the fiber altogether. The original recipe doesn't use any fiber, I added it to add bulk to the loaf and attempt to get a higher loft and density.
I meant oat fiber not whey. lol
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!
 
rosethorns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Puyallup. WA
Posts: 5,587
Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I'll have to give this a try. I make your roll and it comes to 3 slices of bread for me.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Yaz
Senior LCF Member
 
Yaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 333
Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I'll have to give this a try. I make your roll and it comes to 3 slices of bread for me.
I made one for brekkie today and I accidentally poured in way too much egg whites. The bun came out HUGE! But it still didn't taste eggy which was really nice.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!
 
lterry913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,965
Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Could you give tbsp measures for GROUND psyllium and flax meal. I don't have a scale. My psyllium is already powder. Thanks oh, egg whites too please and olivio spread...is that like margerine?

Last edited by lterry913; 02-17-2013 at 05:46 PM..
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
lterry913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,965
Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
Psyllium Husk Bread (loaf) with Protein Powder, Flax Meal & Pea Fibre (Whey Concentrate) Boiling water method.

I modified my recipe from the following blog.
CrossFit CatCave: Psyllium Husk Bread (edited)

At the time I made this loaf I didn't have any Oat Fibre so I used the Pea Fibre that I had. In the future I will use Oat Fibre instead as it has better stats then Pea Fibre.

My recipe is as follows, I do change it up from time to time, sometimes adding seeds and sometimes leaving it plain. My original loaf was made with Pea Protein and it rose very nicely but flattened and it was too moist. I find that whey protein is much better for this loaf.

INGREDIENTS
60 g Psyllium Husk
30 g Golden Flax Meal - I'm sure you could sub this with almond or coconut flour if you don't want to use flax.
1 Eggs, Large - room temperature
159 g Simply Egg Whites - room temperature
42 g Olivio Light Spread
1 tsp Magic Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/8 tsp Salt
2 tsp Spices, Onion Powder
1 cup Water - boiling
50 g Pea Fibre - I will sub oat fibre next time, this may impact the amount of water that is needed.
100 g Whey Protein Concentrate, Unflavored

Mix dry ingredients (grind husk into powder) Add boiling water LAST after eggs and oil have been mixed in.

Baked at 350F for 65 minutes. I have a very old gas stove/oven so your temperature and baking time may vary.

I used a standard size loaf pan and got 18 slices out of the loaf. The batter is very solid and sticky, so I used the back of a silicone spatula that I dipped in water to flatten out the batter/dough.

The texture is a "little" spongy because of the psyllium husk, so I think adding coconut flour might help with this. I found that when I added sunflower and pumpkin seeds to the mix the texture was not really noticeable at all.
I made this today and substituted oat fiber for the pea protein 50g.

I didn't add spices or oilvio spread, You said it was too moist so I thought
eliminating the spread would help with that.

I added 1 cup boiling water and it looked way too thin so I ended up adding about a cup of almond flour until the batter thickened up to what you said your batch looked like.

End result was a bread that was like a dense rye...not bad but could use a lil tweaking as it was the slightest bit dense and had a dry after taste if that makes any sense?e

I feel adding oil or more fat will make it moister, but may make it even more dense and less likely to rise during baking or fall after baking.


I wonder if adding the Better Than Flour Mix In place of the oat fiber would have helped texture as it has oat fiber along with other flours.


Suggestions are welcome.
__________________
Control breeds Confidence.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Yaz
Senior LCF Member
 
Yaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 333
Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I made this today and substituted oat fiber for the pea protein 50g.

I didn't add spices or oilvio spread, You said it was too moist so I thought
eliminating the spread would help with that.

I added 1 cup boiling water and it looked way too thin so I ended up adding about a cup of almond flour until the batter thickened up to what you said your batch looked like.

End result was a bread that was like a dense rye...not bad but could use a lil tweaking as it was the slightest bit dense and had a dry after taste if that makes any sense?e

I feel adding oil or more fat will make it moister, but may make it even more dense and less likely to rise during baking or fall after baking.


I wonder if adding the Better Than Flour Mix In place of the oat fiber would have helped texture as it has oat fiber along with other flours.


Suggestions are welcome.
Sorry, I use a kitchen scale to weight most things that have calories so I don't know what the cup/spoon equivalents would be.

There is such a minimal amount of spread/oil that it shouldn't make a difference in the moistness of the bread.

I haven't tried subbing oat fiber for pea fiber yet as I only had pea the few times I made this bread. The next time I will definitely try it with oat fiber. I wonder if cutting back on the oat fiber might help make it moister. It could be that pea fiber helps to make it moist.

Like Maria's healthified subs, the water needs to be boiling! When you pour it into the dry ingredients it's really wet but firms up right away as you stir.

If I have time this weekend, I'll make a loaf with oat fiber and see how it comes out for me. Also the brand of protein powder you use could make a difference as well.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!
 
lterry913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,965
Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Well I did sub the oat fiber and I did use boiling water ... It was just dense and had a weird after taste. As you said the amount of water may need to be adjusted as I used the full one cup and the dough would not firm up until I added a lot more almond flour. maybe next time i will just add less water...but with that much psyllium I would think you would need a lot of water.
I did use a scale to measure as I found one on sale.

The bread looked great it rose beautifully with no holes, but it just tasted off...and I just can't put a finger on what it was unless it was the oat fiber, or protein powder.

I would be very interested in your results if you try this again with the oat fiber.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.