Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Ideas for salt pork and pancetta?

I have 12 oz. salt pork and 3 oz. very high quality pancetta that I need to use up in the next week. Any great ideas or recipes for these? DH bought the salt pork before we started LC and was going to make a "dirty rice" dish with it, but we no longer eat rice! And a ham and bean soup is out too (don't eat beans). So definitely need a new recipe for that. I am sure we could eat the pancetta as is, but I would love to hear any ideas. Thanks!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Maybe you could make your dirty rice recipe with riced cauliflower or shirataki rice. If you do decide to try it, you will need way less liquid.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
You could make it with quinoa too, if you're at the stage where you can add back some "good" grains (which quinoa techinically is NOT a grain anyway).

Otherwise, you can cube up the pancetta and use it in quiches or just as salad toppers, or anywhere else you'd use bacon.

Salt pork is really good in cooked greens, like kale/spinach/chard/dandelion/whatever you like.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
I grew up eating thick slices of salt pork pan fried until crispy, then you fry a piece of cod fish in the left over grease.

We would eat it with a side of boiled potato's but now I would have it with surkal which is a kind of sweetish sauerkraut seasoned with carraway seeds.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I made this with pancetta and it was really good:

Absurdly Addictive Asparagus

Serves 4
4 ounces pancetta, diced small
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound asparagus, sliced into 2 inch pieces on the bias
1 ¼ cup leek, thinly sliced (white and pale green only)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Zest of one lemon
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1-2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper

In a large non stick skillet, saute pancetta, stirring frequently over medium heat, until crisp and lightly golden

Add butter to pan. Add asparagus pieces and leek and saute until asparagus is tender crisp, about 3-4 minutes.

Add garlic, lemon and orange zest, toasted pine nuts and parsley and saute for about 1 minute, until fragrant. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I have made dirty rice with cauliflower before!! It comes out delicious!

You can cook the cauliflower (already grated) in a pan with just a little bit of chicken stock (less than you would use for rice, obviously) moving the rice around almost like you were sauteeing it, but you are basically letting it absorb the flavor of the chicken stock. Then separately sautee your pancetta and veggies and add them to the rice. You could probably also just sautee it all together too, I just have never done that before.

Another really delicious recipe comes from Linda Sues low carb website. Fake-out split pea soup, using green beans! I would just sub your salt pork for the smoked turkey or ham hocks.

LYNN'S "SPLIT PEA" SOUP
2 smoked turkey legs *
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
16 ounces frozen cauliflower
16 ounces frozen green beans
Salt and pepper, to taste
Onion, carrot and celery, optional (see my comments below)
Put the turkey legs in a large soup pot. Add the broth, water and bouillon granules; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the meat is starting to fall off the bones, about an hour. Remove the drumsticks from the broth and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, add the cauliflower and green beans to the broth in the pot. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes. Puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Remove the meat from the bones, cut into bite-size pieces and add to the soup. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.
Makes about 12 cups or eight 1 1/2 cup servings
Can be frozen
* Two smoked turkey legs will yield about 2 1/2-3 cups cut up meat.
Per Serving: 124 Calories; 4g Fat; 15g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2.5g Dietary Fiber; 3.5g Net Carbs

Lynn said that she doesn't care for carrots in her soup, but I do. Here's how to make a variation that has some onion, carrot and celery:
In a medium skillet, sauté in 1 tablespoon butter until very tender:
1 small onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
Add to the finished soup before adjusting the seasoning. Cook until heated through. You could also add the raw vegetables to the pot along with the cauliflower and green beans and puree everything together.
Per Serving: 143 Calories; 5g Fat; 15g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3.5g Dietary Fiber; 4.5g Net Carbs
This soup is excellent and it really does taste a lot like split pea soup. I changed Lynn's cooking method a bit to save some steps and only slightly tweaked the ingredients. Lynn only used one turkey leg in hers but the store where I shop sold them in packages of two so I used both. I figured they'd make the soup that much more filling and would provide some extra protein. If you only use one turkey leg or use a ham hock instead, figure on getting about 10 cups of soup. Thanks, Lynn, for your brilliant idea! I rated this recipe 5-stars for flavor and creativity.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Thanks for the ideas! I actually do have Miracle rice but I haven't use it yet, I'll probably start with a simpler recipe to try it. Might try the cauliflower rice, sounds interesting! Never would have thought of pan frying the salt pork. That may be the winner - simple and I am sure tasty! The asparagus recipe looks amazing. We love asparagus but I always pan roast it the same way. I'll have to pick up some leeks and asparagus this week. My DH would love me to try the "split pea" soup recipe. We have tons of ham in the freezer so I will try it with that.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote