Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Red Velvet Cheesecake

I came up with this yesterday afternoon, heavily adapted from Maria Emmerich's Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake filling. I found some Lorann Red Velvet Cake Emulsion at TJ Maxx and needed a way to use it.

Red Velvet Cheesecake
makes one 6" cake

crust
1/2 cup hazelnut flour
1/8 tsp fine celtic sea salt
2T melted butter
2T erythritol
1/8 tsp stevia glycerite

Combine crust ingredients and press into bottom of 6"x3" springform pan that's been buttered or sprayed with cooking spray. Set aside.

filling
1.5oz sugar free dark chocolate (I used Simply Lite from Trader Joe's)
1/4 cup sour cream, room temp
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp red velvet cake emulsion
1lb cream cheese, room temp
3/4 cup erythritol
3/4 tsp stevia glycerite
2T hershey's special dark cocoa powder
1/8 tsp fine celtic sea salt
1 egg + 1 yolk, room temp

Nuke dark chocolate in small bowl in microwave for 30-45 seconds, until melted, being careful not to let it seize. Slowly stir in sour cream until blended, then add vanilla and red velvet emulsion. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, erythritol, stevia, cocoa power and salt until creamy. Beat in eggs til just combined, then stir in chocolate/ sour cream mixture. Pour into crust. Bake at 350 for 50ish minutes until set. (Mine was still very slightly jiggly in the center but came out super rich and creamy after resting overnight in the fridge.) Let cool on counter for an hour or so, then cover and refrigerate overnight. I had a slice for breakfast with a little creme fraiche on top but it would be lovely by itself.

I got 6 servings, you could probably get 8 if you cut them smaller. I think these could also make awesome cupcakes... next time.

Per 1/6 recipe
Calories 415
Fat 36.9
Net Carb 4.3
Protein 9.2
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
That does look good!
I bought some of the emulsion before Christmas specifically so that I could make the Red Velvet Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from 24/7lowcarbdiner. So, if you need another recipe to use with the emulsion, it's definitely a good one.
Where do you find the vanilla bean paste?
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Yummy!! Saving this one to impress family and friends. Sounds amazing!

Thanks for sharing.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
That does look good!
I bought some of the emulsion before Christmas specifically so that I could make the Red Velvet Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from 24/7lowcarbdiner. So, if you need another recipe to use with the emulsion, it's definitely a good one.
Where do you find the vanilla bean paste?
Ooh, I'll check those brownies out. Funny, I made the red velvet smoothie from 24/7 LCD this morning for breakfast. Not bad.

The vanilla paste is made by Nielson-Massey. I normally get it at Williams-Sonoma but sometimes you can find it at Ross or TJ Maxx for half or less of the $11 WS price. It's really rich and decadent. You can also sub vanilla extract, it just doesn't have the actual bean scrapings in it like the paste. It does have a tiny bit of sugar but you use so little that I don't bother with figuring out how much. In my old life before LC, I baked A LOT. I have a stockpile of vanilla paste from those days.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs S View Post
Ooh, I'll check those brownies out. Funny, I made the red velvet smoothie from 24/7 LCD this morning for breakfast. Not bad.

The vanilla paste is made by Nielson-Massey. I normally get it at Williams-Sonoma but sometimes you can find it at Ross or TJ Maxx for half or less of the $11 WS price. It's really rich and decadent. You can also sub vanilla extract, it just doesn't have the actual bean scrapings in it like the paste. It does have a tiny bit of sugar but you use so little that I don't bother with figuring out how much. In my old life before LC, I baked A LOT. I have a stockpile of vanilla paste from those days.
Thanks. It does sound decadent. I used to bake a lot, too, but never had the paste.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Sounds delicious! DH loves Red Velvet Cake, so he'd probably like this.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote