Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Incredible Chocolate Cake

I have been on the hunt for a great chocolate cake. A few days ago, I realized that what I like most about cake is the frosting and that I probably would never be completely satisfied with a lc cake. There are lc cakes that I like, but to me, they are just not awesome and amazing. So, I started thinking about what I could do. I thought about cheesecakes, and as much as I like cheesecake and all the bazillion cheesecakes I've made over the years, I'm just not in the mood for a cheesecake birthday cake. So, I started thinking about flourless cakes...and as I was reading all the blogs I read on a regular basis, ginnyslowcarbkitchen had one posted on 2/14. I decided to give it a try today and it is INCREDIBLE! I only made half the recipe and baked it in two mini-springform pans. I used a combo of erythritol and stevia glycerite for the sweetener. While still warm, it was melt-in-your mouth awesome!! After it had cooled, it was still incredibly amazing. I put it in the fridge and will see what it is like after it has chilled overnight. I'm a little worried that the erythritol may recrystalize. I hope not. I need to make this Tuesday night for a Wednesday party. If it does recrystalize in the fridge, I may just skip putting it in the fridge and leave it out overnight and see if that works. If you like chocolate, this really is the best.

Last edited by Chocolate Rose; 02-16-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
I have been on the hunt for a great chocolate cake. A few days ago, I realized that what I like most about cake is the frosting and that I probably would never be completely satisfied with a lc cake. There are lc cakes that I like, but to me, they are just not awesome and amazing. So, I started thinking about what I could do. I thought about cheesecakes, and as much as I like cheesecake and all the bazillion cheesecakes I've made over the years, I'm just not in the mood for a cheesecake birthday cake. So, I started thinking about flourless cakes...and as I was reading all the blogs I read on a regular basis, ginnyslowcarbkitchen had one posted on 2/14. I decided to give it a try today and it is INCREDIBLE! I only made half the recipe and baked it in two mini-springform pans. I used a combo of erythritol and stevia glycerite for the sweetener. While still warm, it was melt-in-your mouth awesome!! After it had cooled, it was still incredibly amazing. I put it in the fridge and will see what it is like after it has chilled overnight. I'm a little worried that the erythritol may recrystalize. I hope not. I need to make this Tuesday night for a Wednesday party. If it does recrystalize in the fridge, I may just skip putting it in the fridge and leave it out overnight and see if that works. If you like chocolate, this really is the best.
i think i will try this today. Can you approximate the amounts of erythritol and stevia u used? TIA. Caren
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
for future reference, you could just make low carb chocolate frosting and eat that! LOL
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenL View Post
i think i will try this today. Can you approximate the amounts of erythritol and stevia u used? TIA. Caren
For half the recipe, I tried for 1/2 of 3/4 cup erythritol. I used a 1/3 cup measuring cup and did just a smidge more than 1/3 cup. I didn't measure the stevia glycerite at all. I just did a little squirt. Sorry I wasn't more accurate in my measurements. I used Trader Joes dark chocolate as I didn't have bittersweet chocolate and didn't want to go out. I just looked online and Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate is only 60% cacao. Since it worked so well with the dark chocolate, I'm going to stick with that for Wednesday and probably try 90% cacao chocolate the next time I do a test run.
I tasted it this morning and it is still awesome. I left one of the mini-cakes on the counter and it is very rich and dense and creamy and chocolately and totally awesome. I'm going to take the other one out of the fridge and maybe warm it slightly in the microwave and test it for erythritol crystals.
I am totally excited to have a low carb cake taste like a normal cake. At least it tastes normal to me, but I haven't had anything other than low carb in a year, so maybe my tastes aren't accurate?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
for future reference, you could just make low carb chocolate frosting and eat that! LOL
You know, I thought about that. Chocolatecoveredkatie has a recipe for Chocolate Mousse Frosting Shots.
But, since this is for a birthday, I needed to have an actual cake. I'm SO excited to have found one that will work this time!!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I tested the cake that was in the fridge overnight for erythritol recrystalization. It hasn't quite come to room temp and is still fairly cold, but I didn't notice any crystal crunchies. I'll try a bite again in a few hours and see if I notice any at that point. But, so far, so good. YIPPEE!!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
For half the recipe, I tried for 1/2 of 3/4 cup erythritol. I used a 1/3 cup measuring cup and did just a smidge more than 1/3 cup. I didn't measure the stevia glycerite at all. I just did a little squirt. Sorry I wasn't more accurate in my measurements. I used Trader Joes dark chocolate as I didn't have bittersweet chocolate and didn't want to go out. I just looked online and Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate is only 60% cacao. Since it worked so well with the dark chocolate, I'm going to stick with that for Wednesday and probably try 90% cacao chocolate the next time I do a test run.
I tasted it this morning and it is still awesome. I left one of the mini-cakes on the counter and it is very rich and dense and creamy and chocolately and totally awesome. I'm going to take the other one out of the fridge and maybe warm it slightly in the microwave and test it for erythritol crystals.
I am totally excited to have a low carb cake taste like a normal cake. At least it tastes normal to me, but I haven't had anything other than low carb in a year, so maybe my tastes aren't accurate?
Thanks so much! I will try this and report back. Caren
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Chocolate Rose, so glad you finally found the perfect cake!
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
Chocolate Rose, so glad you finally found the perfect cake!
Thanks! It's the perfect cake for this event. We'll see what happens next time. It is totally yummy. It's like a chocolate truffle cake.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Don't know if anyone cares, , but I thought I'd report back on how the cake I made last night worked out.
I made the whole recipe and decided to splurge and use my Swerve. I baked it in a 10 inch springform pan. Everyone really liked it which is what I was hoping for. I think that this may end up being my "go to" cake when I need to make/take a cake for something. But, I don't think I will use the Swerve again. I really didn't care for what it did with this cake. I could really taste that there was artificial sweetener and I didn't taste that when I used the combo of erythritol and stevia. I had some of the original cake I made left over (the one with erythritol and stevia) and tasted it again tonight to be sure that I didn't pick up on that throat clutching artificial sweetener taste, and I didn't. So, I'm going to stick with erythritol and stevia rather than Swerve.
Baking it in the 10 inch pan made for a very low cake, which was actually fine as a little of this cake goes a long way.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pspalin
Stats: 6/18/2011 R1P1D43 -38.2/ reload 8/18&19 R2P2
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 09/06/2008(atkins) 07/18/2011(hhcg)
Put mine in the frig....it was crunchy...kinda reminded me of the old fashion fudge my grandmother made that tasted great but felt like you were chewing sand.lol we ate the whole cake and my Dh said make it again!
pspalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspalin View Post
Put mine in the frig....it was crunchy...kinda reminded me of the old fashion fudge my grandmother made that tasted great but felt like you were chewing sand.lol we ate the whole cake and my Dh said make it again!
Was it your sweetener that made it crunchy? I didn't have a problem with crunchiness which surprised me because I usually do.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Chocolate Rose, would you mind posting the cake recipe you used? And, apologies in advance if it's in the previous posts and I didn't see it! TIA!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglenomore View Post
Chocolate Rose, would you mind posting the cake recipe you used? And, apologies in advance if it's in the previous posts and I didn't see it! TIA!
Here's the original recipe. The cake recipe is from All Recipes. I used TJs dark chocolate instead of the bittersweet, but next time I'll probably use 90% cacao chocolate. I baked it in a springform pan and lined the bottom of the pan with parchment.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes & Frostings Low Carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar substitute
18 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter
6 eggs

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease one 10 inch round cake pan and set aside.
In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water, salt and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
Either in the top half of a double boiler or in a microwave oven melt the bittersweet chocolate. Pour the chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.
Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate, 1 piece at a time. Beat in the hot sugar-water. Slowly beat in the eggs, one at a time.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Have a pan larger than the cake pan ready, put the cake pan in the larger pan and fill the pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
Bake cake in the water bath at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet. Chill cake overnight in the pan. To unmold, dip the bottom of the cake pan in hot water for 10 seconds and invert onto a serving plate.

Description:
"A dense chocolate cake for those of us who can't tolerate wheat or gluten."
Source:
"http://ginnyslowcarbkitchen.blogspot.com"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Don't know if anyone cares, , but I thought I'd report back on how the cake I made last night worked out.
I made the whole recipe and decided to splurge and use my Swerve. I baked it in a 10 inch springform pan. Everyone really liked it which is what I was hoping for. I think that this may end up being my "go to" cake when I need to make/take a cake for something. But, I don't think I will use the Swerve again. I really didn't care for what it did with this cake. I could really taste that there was artificial sweetener and I didn't taste that when I used the combo of erythritol and stevia. I had some of the original cake I made left over (the one with erythritol and stevia) and tasted it again tonight to be sure that I didn't pick up on that throat clutching artificial sweetener taste, and I didn't. So, I'm going to stick with erythritol and stevia rather than Swerve.
Baking it in the 10 inch pan made for a very low cake, which was actually fine as a little of this cake goes a long way.
I'm so glad you mentioned this! I've had the very same experience with Swerve. Something nasty in that blend. No problems at all when i use ZSweet granulated erythritol and add my own clear stevia liquid (NuNaturals). "throat clutching" is so exactly descriptive! This made me LOL.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenL View Post
I'm so glad you mentioned this! I've had the very same experience with Swerve. Something nasty in that blend. No problems at all when i use ZSweet granulated erythritol and add my own clear stevia liquid (NuNaturals). "throat clutching" is so exactly descriptive! This made me LOL.
I'm glad to know this. I had been saving my very expensive Swerve for a special recipe and was completely disappointed. I was thinking maybe it was something I did since Swerve always seems to get great reviews. At least I won't have to buy it any more.