Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Another Low Carb Bread Recipe

I have been experimenting with trying to get a low carb bread that doesn't impact my blood sugar and I've finally hit on one.

When testing this recipe....
My baseline blood sugar reading was 105
I ate one whole roll on an empty stomach.
I tested at 30 minutes and the reading was 122
I tested 30 minutes later at 1 hour and the reading was 140
I tested 30 minutes later at 1 hour and 30 minutes and the reading was 124
I tested 30 minutes later at 2 hours and the reading was 110

The really amazing thing about this is that I get a reading of between 160 and 170 at one hour with nothing but plain meat.

Later that night I ate a hamburger on one of these buns with mayo, mustard, pickle, tomato, onion and meat. My blood sugar reading at one hour was 132... The amount of bran in the mix seems to reduce the impact of whatever you eat along with the bread.

I'm using home ground whole wheat flour, I'm not sure if that is the same thing as what you buy in the grocery store. If I didn't have a grain mill I would buy stone ground whole wheat from a health food store. If I'm not mistaken I believe that what you get in the grocery store is just white flour with germ and bran mixed back in.

I'm using the Equate brand (course milled) psyllium husks from Walmart.

Low Carb Buns and Bread

2-1/3 cups very warm tap water
1 teaspoon sugar
4 packets Splenda
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
2 tablespoons yeast
Mix wet ingredients well in bread machine pan or Kitchen Aid mixer bowl. Add yeast and let stand for 5 minutes or until it starts to foam up.

Then add dry ingredients.....
3 cups whole wheat flour
6 tablespoons psyllium husks
3/4 cup vital wheat gluten

Select dough cycle on bread machine and let the kneading cycle finish then let the dough rise for 15 minutes. Any longer and the dough will start crawling out of the machine. I've never done this in the mixer but I think kneading on low speed with the dough hook about 12 to 15 minutes should do then let the dough rise 15 minutes.

Divide the dough into 12 – 4 ounce rolls, shape and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.

Let rise for 25 minutes while you preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Flavor improves overnight so it's best to bake the bread the day before you will need it.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
They look aMAZing!
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
Chicken Lady, any recipe created by you has to be good!!!
libbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Oh, My Goodness! This looks wonderful!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

LOL thank guys...
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
They look lovely!

I've cut wheat out of my diet, it makes my face break out, gives me a slight case of eczema on my elbows and causes all kinds of tummy issues.

I wish I could have them though they look amazing!! Great job for those who can have wheat!!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Gwen those look wonderful! Good job!

It's similar to what I've been making - major difference being, I sprout the wheat first (soak overnight, drain, then rinse and drain 3 x day for the next day and a half) and then dehydrate it, then grind. It's working really well for carb-sensitive DH.

Isn't it fantastic to find something that works well for you, looks great, and tastes great too? You're an amazing experimenter!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
They look lovely!

I've cut wheat out of my diet, it makes my face break out, gives me a slight case of eczema on my elbows and causes all kinds of tummy issues.

I wish I could have them though they look amazing!! Great job for those who can have wheat!!
That totally sucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Gwen those look wonderful! Good job!

It's similar to what I've been making - major difference being, I sprout the wheat first (soak overnight, drain, then rinse and drain 3 x day for the next day and a half) and then dehydrate it, then grind. It's working really well for carb-sensitive DH.

Isn't it fantastic to find something that works well for you, looks great, and tastes great too? You're an amazing experimenter!
I am totally impressed! You have way more patience than I have.

This is not something that I eat everyday but once in a while when we have hamburgers or pulled pork I want a bun to eat it on that doesn't make me want to Ralf. This fills the bill nicely and doesn't blow my blood sugar out of the water.

I only make the rolls I don't make a loaf of bread because it would be too much of a temptation to eat every day. Because of the low carb diet I'm off all my meds now and I don't want to do anything to mess that up.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Those rolls look amazing, ChickenLady!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Those rolls look amazing, ChickenLady!
Thanks, luckily when I make them the 12 rolls get eaten up right away so I'm not tempted to overindulge.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LowcarbFan
Unfortunately this isn't something that I or most people here can eat. 21g carbs each for just the flour alone isn't low-carb at all. This must be a maintenance type of recipe or perhaps it is a "lower" carb bun not a "low carb" one.
LowcarbFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Those look wonderful! I'm thinking whole wheat pastry flour would probably work just as well and the carbs would be lower yet. Great that you can handle a bun like that once in a while as a treat.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowcarbFan View Post
Unfortunately this isn't something that I or most people here can eat. 21g carbs each for just the flour alone isn't low-carb at all. This must be a maintenance type of recipe or perhaps it is a "lower" carb bun not a "low carb" one.
I can, and DO, easily eat 21 grams of carbs and yes I am in maintenance. There are other eating plans here as well, not just Atkins people, so other people's plans may well allow them far more carbs than what some others may do. Protein Power, IIRC, allows quite a few more carbs than Atkins, at least when you get past the early stages.

And, Gwen has already stated that this is a "once in a while" treat, not an every day staple of her diet.

So IMHO there is room here for all KINDS of recipes and ideas - I think the thing MOST of us will agree we avoid as often as possible would be sugars of any sort (that are not eaten up by the yeasts in bread or processes of yogurt making) - if a recipe doesn't fit your plan, just pass it on by!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 02-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I can, and DO, easily eat 21 grams of carbs and yes I am in maintenance. There are other eating plans here as well, not just Atkins people, so other people's plans may well allow them far more carbs than what some others may do. Protein Power, IIRC, allows quite a few more carbs than Atkins, at least when you get past the early stages.

And, Gwen has already stated that this is a "once in a while" treat, not an every day staple of her diet.

So IMHO there is room here for all KINDS of recipes and ideas - I think the thing MOST of us will agree we avoid as often as possible would be sugars of any sort (that are not eaten up by the yeasts in bread or processes of yogurt making) - if a recipe doesn't fit your plan, just pass it on by!
I mostly agree with this, I like to see recipes of any kind because they might be able to be made lower carb.

I don't really agree with what you said about the sugar though. I think most avoid sugar AND grains because our bodies metabolize them the same way. Our bodies can't distinguish if its sugar, whatever type of sugar or grains because grains turn to sugar in the blood steam. The fiber might slow this process down a little but the fiber really only you up and makes you feel fuller.

Whole grains turn to sugar the same as refined grains, the body can't tell the difference.

That's what I've always thought anyways.

Another thing too, wheat is shown to cause a whole slew of health problems, so more and more people are avoiding it.

Like you said, everyone is different and are on different plans so all recipes are welcome!

Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowcarbFan View Post
I'm not trying to argue with you about what you or anyone else eats but low carb is not that simple. It's not a straight forward process of carb in, carb out. Our body processes are much more complicated than that.

Carbs taken into our body = sugar. Carbs are converted into sugar in our blood stream, it doesn't matter what the source of the carbs are, it can be strait up table sugar or broccoli it all gets turned into sugar when it hits our blood stream. But if you add enough fiber into the mix it slows down the digestion process and so slows down the rate at which your body can absorb that sugar. Using a blood glucose meter you can test to see how fast or slow your body is converting what you have just eaten into sugar and so you are able determine what is acceptable to eat and what isn't.

Now I'm nowhere near smart enough to calculate grams of carbs + proteins + fiber and tell you up front what it's going to do in my blood stream but I can test my blood after I've eaten something and tell you how well a food is being handled by my body and seeing as how I'm a type II diabetic my body is going to be much more sensitive to sugar than the average healthy person. So I can tell you that unless you have an allergy to wheat or some sort of digestive issues and can't handle a lot of fiber, this recipe is fine for whoever wants to try it.

I would not suggest anyone eat this stuff every day but as a once in a while treat with a hamburger patty or some other meat it is fine.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Very informative and well said!!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
So it's low-glycemic(for you, I guess it will vary from one person to the next), but not "low carb" by most low-carb diet standards.
I am curious, have you tried the natures own 100% whole wheat buns? About the same amount of carbs and fiber, but not all the work
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I mostly agree with this, I like to see recipes of any kind because they might be able to be made lower carb.

I don't really agree with what you said about the sugar though. I think most avoid sugar AND grains because our bodies metabolize them the same way. Our bodies can't distinguish if its sugar, whatever type of sugar or grains because grains turn to sugar in the blood steam. The fiber might slow this process down a little but the fiber really only you up and makes you feel fuller.

Whole grains turn to sugar the same as refined grains, the body can't tell the difference.

That's what I've always thought anyways.

Another thing too, wheat is shown to cause a whole slew of health problems, so more and more people are avoiding it.

Like you said, everyone is different and are on different plans so all recipes are welcome!

I MOSTLY agree with what you said too, Gina! BUT for us, we've found that sprouting the grains really works well to keep the "sugar problems" at bay - I don't even pretend to know all the scientific reasons why except that sprouting apparently "burns" some of that sugar in the process AND it also greatly reduces phytic acids and other "bad stuff" (because I haven't looked it up lately and am too tired to do so at the moment!) so it DOES work for us.

I don't ever think there is a "one size fits all" answer to eating for every person. I fully believe in what Dr. A. had to say about sugars and starches, BUT this is one way that DH and I CAN "have our starch and eat it too" if you will. Those who are truly celiac or gluten-intolerant, I'm not sure if sprouting would help those problems or not, nor am I suggesting they try it.

BUT my main point was still, this forum and this BOARD welcomes ALL low and lower carb food plan followers and as such I too am happy to see all recipes. If it's not one that would work for me, I either figure out a way that it WOULD work for me, if I'm interested in it, or just pass it by. Simple as that!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Yeppers It's a great recipe

Thanks Gwen, this looks like a great treat. My wonderful Zo bread
machine sits alone on the shelf. No bread being made.

I think I may try using several flours and see if I can come up
with bread or rolls.

Everyone here has their very own burden with carbs.
Like Gwen I have type 2 diabetes and I do blood tests to see if
I can manage some starch ie., Dreamfield's pasta, or a lower carb
bread. I'm glad that we are so fortunate to have all of you wonderful
cooks. Tweak away my dears.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Those rolls look great. Thanks for sharing with us.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
I MOSTLY agree with what you said too, Gina! BUT for us, we've found that sprouting the grains really works well to keep the "sugar problems" at bay - I don't even pretend to know all the scientific reasons why except that sprouting apparently "burns" some of that sugar in the process AND it also greatly reduces phytic acids and other "bad stuff" (because I haven't looked it up lately and am too tired to do so at the moment!) so it DOES work for us.

I don't ever think there is a "one size fits all" answer to eating for every person. I fully believe in what Dr. A. had to say about sugars and starches, BUT this is one way that DH and I CAN "have our starch and eat it too" if you will. Those who are truly celiac or gluten-intolerant, I'm not sure if sprouting would help those problems or not, nor am I suggesting they try it.

BUT my main point was still, this forum and this BOARD welcomes ALL low and lower carb food plan followers and as such I too am happy to see all recipes. If it's not one that would work for me, I either figure out a way that it WOULD work for me, if I'm interested in it, or just pass it by. Simple as that!
I would like to try a sprouted bread. Do you hav a fav?
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #22
Gadget Gal

The one we purchased for years is Ezekiel. It's dense and very good. Whole Foods has it, have also seen it at Safeway - look in the frozen foods section.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Chicken Lady, you have done it again. Will try these this weekend. Thank you.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote