Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!
 
gharkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,683
Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Low-Carbing Among Friends, Volume 3 - what have you tried?

So just a few days ago I received my Volume 3 of Low-Carbing Among Friends in the mail, and as with the other two, it didn't disappoint! I was happy to see that right off the bat, the first section features Kent Altena, one of my favorite peeps! Not only was Kent on our latest low carb cruise, he was recently in the Dallas area and hubby and I got to enjoy having dinner with him then, too.

Almost all of Kent's recipes are induction friendly, but he doesn't leave it up to you to decide - he clearly states which phase of Atkins each recipe is suitable for.

One of my favorite recipes is really just a mix - his Low-Carb Dry Rib Rub. It's good on and in everything! OK, maybe it wouldn't work so well in banana cream pudding, but for meats - it's da bomb!

So, what recipes have you tried from Low-Carbing Among Friends, Volume 3?

Last edited by gharkness; 02-15-2013 at 12:15 PM..
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Barbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern Ca. San Juan Capistrano
Posts: 4,008
Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
I tried

Beer Batter Bread.

It was ok. It just wasn't bread , it was more like a cake in
texture. It did not taste yeasty, the batter did but not the
bread. Perhaps tweaking would help.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Tweaker Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,130
Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I made the parmesan crusted pork chops - they were good.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 732
Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I finally had a chance to skim through my book today. For dinner tonight, I made the Langostino Cream Soup. Years ago, I cooked with langostino quite a bit. I was able to get them from my local grocery store. But, then, they stopped carrying langostino and when I asked about it, I was told that they couldn't get any of a quality that they wanted. A few weeks ago, my Costco had some frozen langostino and I picked up a bag. My favorite thing to make pre-lc was Langostino Stuffed Twice-Baked Potatoes which were awesome. I figured I would find something to make that was lc and just put the langostino in the freezer. So, I was really happy to see this recipe.
I followed it pretty much exactly except instead of getting two pans dirty, I cooked the bacon in the same pan that I cooked the soup in. I used the bacon grease and a bit of butter instead of all butter for the onions. Oh, I also subbed bone broth for the water. This soup was very good. Dh also loved it.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Thanks so much for starting this thread, Georgene. It's fun to read about what people have tried. Of course, I've tried ALL my recipes. Judy Barnes Baker's Sloppy Joe Stuffed Red Peppers are great! Kyndra's Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip, Loaded Garlic Baked Fauxtato and Pepper Jack Denver Egg Muffins are awesome. I made Carolyn's Cauliflower Au Gratin, p. 210 - loved that and will make it again. Also, sesame Roasted Broccoli, p. 211, but I roast mine a bit longer. I'm really wanting to try Carolyn's scone recipes. The chocolate Ginger Scones, p. 222 sound soo good. She has some great baking and dessert recipes as always. Kent Altena's Awesome Broccoli Casserole, p. 46. I like Vanessa's Mexican Cauli-Rice, p. 261 modeled after a recipe that her grandmother used to make.

Barbo, Carolyn and her family love that "bread". I think it's a matter of preference. Cakey bread is something I actually like.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Chocolate Rose - THANK you so much for your comment. That was interesting to read. It's always great to get hubby's approval.

Tweaker, Hmm, Parmesan custed pork chops - that sounds easy and tasty. I did something similar with fish recently. Need to type up the recipe.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 02-17-2013 at 02:20 PM..
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
I finally had a chance to skim through my book today. For dinner tonight, I made the Langostino Cream Soup. Years ago, I cooked with langostino quite a bit. I was able to get them from my local grocery store. But, then, they stopped carrying langostino and when I asked about it, I was told that they couldn't get any of a quality that they wanted. A few weeks ago, my Costco had some frozen langostino and I picked up a bag. My favorite thing to make pre-lc was Langostino Stuffed Twice-Baked Potatoes which were awesome. I figured I would find something to make that was lc and just put the langostino in the freezer. So, I was really happy to see this recipe.
I followed it pretty much exactly except instead of getting two pans dirty, I cooked the bacon in the same pan that I cooked the soup in. I used the bacon grease and a bit of butter instead of all butter for the onions. Oh, I also subbed bone broth for the water. This soup was very good. Dh also loved it.
I've never heard of Langostino. I have NO idea what it even is!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 732
Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
I've never heard of Langostino. I have NO idea what it even is!
They are in the lobster family I think. They are small shrimp-size, lobster-tasting crustaceans. They are very good if you can get good quality. The ones I bought from Costco were a bit on the mushy side, but the soup still tasted great.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Tweaker Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,130
Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Today I made the Mushroom Spinach Torta (Carolyn Ketchum recipe) on page 209. I made it exact to the recipe with one addition - I added freshly grated nutmeg. I tried a little slice with dinner and it is very good. It was just room temp warm when I ate, I think I would like it a little hotter next time. I put a dollop of sour cream on top also.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
catkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,904
Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
We really like the "Big Mac" Pie. My DH told me to give it 4 stars in my recipe box. He saves 5 stars for something really exceptional. We also really like the Barbecue Bake. Honey Mustard Chicken was pretty good too.
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Jennifer Eloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tropics
Posts: 3,127
Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Tweaker, that sounds good!

Catkan, those sound like Kent Altena's recipes. His recipes are very much oriented for stricter low-carbing like Induction and OWL.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
catkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,904
Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Tweaker, that sounds good!

Catkan, those sound like Kent Altena's recipes. His recipes are very much oriented for stricter low-carbing like Induction and OWL.
They are his. There is so much good flavor in the two casseroles!
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
crazywoman-n-wy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,474
Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
They are in the lobster family I think. They are small shrimp-size, lobster-tasting crustaceans. They are very good if you can get good quality. The ones I bought from Costco were a bit on the mushy side, but the soup still tasted great.
Thanks Chocolate Rose!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:05 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.