Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I was just wondering the other day if the BTF mix might make a single-serving bread. You beat me to it! I'll have to try it.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #152
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I want to tweak it yet. I don't want to have the third slice left so I need to see if I can cut the size a bit, but I was pleasantly surprised at the texture and plain taste which reminded me of plain white bread. I might add a bit of gluc to make it a little more elastic. If I can convince my son that this is like white bread, I may have an easier way to keep him in bread and sticking to the plan. I'm still searching for a glass square dish the same size as a white bread slice. Everything counts with him. It needs to look like the size of "real" bread. Taste is really close.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
cselzler there are glass dishes (they look like darling miniature casserole dishes) right this minute at TJMaxx - 61st & Memorial on a clearance aisle near the "employees only" door! They are the right size, I think.

If you can't find them there, I'll bet Tuesday Morning has some.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #154
Junior LCF Member

Darn don't have a day off till Monday. Hope they still have some left.
Thanks I'll check it out.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Easy Cheddar Black Pepper Biscuits

I tried this recipe from the Gourmet Girl Cooks blog, replacing some of the almond flour with the FF mix (my changes noted in italics). These were very good!

Easy Cheddar Black Pepper Biscuits

2 cups blanched almond flour (or 1-1/2 c. almond flour & ½ c. FF mix)
3 tablespoons cold butter, diced
1 egg (or 1/4 cup Egg Beaters) (use 2 eggs when using FF mix), beaten
1 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 - 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free)
1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.

In a food processor, add almond flour, FF mix, salt, black pepper, baking powder; pulse to mix. Add butter and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, pulse until crumbly and all flour is slightly moistened and cheese is pulverized into the mixture. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in cream, eggs, and remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese; mix in lightly. Divide and roll dough into 10 to 12 balls (I used lg. cookie scoop – it made 15) and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet; do not flatten dough balls (this will result in a thicker biscuit). Bake at 350ºF for approximately 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown; be careful not to overcook. Remove from oven; brush tops with melted butter, if desired.
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NAT&RD
Stats: (5'4") 138/116/116
WOE: MODERATE CARBS
Start Date: 2008
Ready for big batch

How do I mix,, store big batch of flour mix. Does it seperate? Is it better to add some things like baking powder when Im ready to bake? Better in plastic bag or jar. I store most baking ingredients in the freezer, is that the best way to store this.

I'm sure someone has posted this info, but for the life of me I cant find it.
NAT&RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I mix a big batch, put it in a plastic container, and store it in the fridge. I think adding the baking powder right before baking is a great idea. It does not separate and lasts for months.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I make up a 12X recipe and keep in a Lock&Lock container that holds 1.8L or just under 8 cups (1.9 qt.). I don't put any sweetener in it until I'm making a recipe so I can make something savory if I want. I also use plain whey protein powder, not vanilla for that same reason as I can add vanilla or whatever flavor is needed.

I'm not sure if it separates but I turn it 4-5 times before using it, to make sure it's mixed up. Oat fiber seems to be heavier than the other ingredients so I want to make sure everything's mixed up.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bajuhe
BTF recipe problem

Hello everyone: Late to the party as usual. I just discovered this thread and am dying to try the flour mix. My only problem is, I am allergic to whey powder. I bought all the ingredients and they should be coming tomorrow. So am wondering if someone has an idea of what I can substitute for the whey protein powder. What exactly does Whey Protein Powder add to the mix? Could I sub maybe some egg white powder and some almond flour for it? Maybe throw in some gelatin for the extra protein? Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Barbara
bajuhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I make the mix with pea protein, as do lots of others.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chickamomminy
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins (modified)
Start Date: April 2009
I have what is probably a silly question, but I am making up a large batch of the flour mix. At some point I am going to make Barbo's FABULOUS FLOUR BROWNIES (dying for a brownie!). So, how much mix is in the brownies? It looks like it was the original one serving portion, but I'm not sure what that measures out to be? Having a great big old brain fog and don't want to have to divide it into 12 portions to get the right amount or make a separate single batch of flour for the brownies lol. Thanks!

As of today (3/29/10) I have lost 65 pounds!!! 35 more to go!
Chickamomminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:02 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, it looks like the original individual serving amounts minus the salt, bp and erythritol. If you're making up your big batch without baking powder and sweetener (so you can do savory things also), then it would be about 6 tablespoons or 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon. Then add in your sweetener, the cocoa powder, and the rest of the ingredients. I just added up the quantities to get the 6 T.

I'm sure others will chime in later today.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:59 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I was interested in the French toast recipe using an omelet maker and another bake mix.

I've been making it in my GT Xpress 101, which I wasn't using and using BTF. Works great. I think half a serving of the big batch BTF, 2 eggs, salt, vanilla, Splenda, cinnamon, pinch of baking powder, almond milk. Made a mistake and used too much BTF, and was too muffin like.

Yes, it is eggy, so is French toast! No more so that reg French toast.
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:39 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Using magnamater's idea for French Toast, I made French Toast Bites this morning with the BTF mix. I used a mini corn dog machine that I got as a gag gift last Christmas, but you could use a cake pop or similar machine.

French Toast Bites

3 lg eggs
3 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
dash salt
2 drops EZSweetz (or use other sweetener of your choice)
2 1/2 Tbsp. BTF Mix

Preheat cake pop or mini corn dog machine.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, vanilla, spices, salt, and sweetener. Mix in BTF mix until batter is smooth. Pour (or spoon) batter into individual wells and bake according to your machine's directions (mine took about 6 minutes).

I took 1 tbsp. each butter and SF pancake syrup and heated this in a custard cup until butter was melted for a great dipping sauce. It made about 18 bites - I plan to freeze what I didn't eat this morning.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wish I had received that nifty gadget as a gag gift!!! I have been looking at a corndog cooker, don't need it, tried them in the GT, too much batter for my taste, I would love corn dogs!!! Maybe I shall try the Thrift Store on my grocery run.

I did use Linda Sue's syrup recipe with my faux french toast this morning, as I had used the end of the SF pancake syrup. I can recommend the recipe, it is easy, and good.

Janie
Old 02-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
what a great idea.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ROFL!

Went to our local thrift shop, no corn dog makers, but they had another GTXpress, for 5.98. So now I have 2, I can make French toast for both DH and myself at the same time! Also calzone type pizza, I will work on that, I think I will be using BTF!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

I looked a bit closer at the machine I used this morning. It's actually labeled a "Pigs-in-a-Blanket" machine, but I've used it once for mini corn dogs.

Keep looking at the thrift stores for one - I see them all the time. I've bought two GTXpress machines and a cake pop one, too, brand new from the thrift store. They are great for cooking various LC breads.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What a great idea that is! Either cut up hot dogs/sausages or get the little ones.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Anyone making a lower cal English muffin with this?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I gotta go the the thrift stores this weekend. I would like one of those GTX press machines.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #172
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lusine
Clarification on your bread recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Recipes

1. FABULOUS FLOUR BROWNIES-Barbo

Preheat oven to 350
Prepare a 7.5" by 5" Pyrex baking dish
Makes 9 brownies

Sift into a medium bowl:
2 tbs. OAT FIBER (NOT FLOUR)
2 tbs. coconut flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbs. vanilla protein powder (I use J.Robb)
1 tbs. egg white powder
2 tbs. dark cocoa powder sf
1 tbs. sugar free cocoa mix (optional)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. glucomannan powder, I use NOW brand (Konjac Root)
*1-3 tbs. powdered (erythritol) (in coffee grinder)
AFTER SIFTING WELL AND MIXING
Liquid and fat:
In a small saucepan place:
1 tbs. butter
1 tbs. oil your choice (I had macadamia nut)
1/4 c. SF Torani or DV French vanilla flavoring
1/4 c. heavy whipping cream

Bring liquid almost to a boil.
Pour over dry ingredients and mix quickly.
Batter will puff up. Place immediately into your
prepared pan. My oven baked it to perfection in
10 minutes. Cool 3/4 of the way. Cut into 9 squares.

While brownies are baking, **grind some more erythritol
into powder. Place powder into a small pan for dredging.
Dredge each brownie into powdered 'sugar' and coat well.

I use an **old coffee bean grinder and it makes powdered sugar
in just minutes.

Options: sf chocolate chips, toasted nuts. Whatever you
can dream up.

2. Cookies-ouizoid

1/2 c of my flour mix
1.5 Tbs butter
1 egg
1/4 c half n half
1/3 cup sweetener mix
1/2 cup cranberries
1/4 cup pecan bits

mix til batter is thick like cookie dough and drop onto cookie sheet by spoonful. Bake at 350 about 12 minutes or until brown on top. Indistinguishable from high carb cookies.

3. Waffles-Callieco

The texture and mouth feel are so close to the real thing I don't think anyone would know it's not a regular high carb waffle. It had a slightly crispy crust although not as crispy as a flour waffle but close enough. My only problem was it fell apart when trying to take it out of the waffle iron.

1/2 c mix (unflavored whey in mine)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp erythritol
1 tsp inulin
1 tsp splenda
combined all these in one measuring cup

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tbl oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
mixed all these together and then added to dry.

Batter was fairly thick, very similar to regular waffle batter but not runny. I spread it out over greased waffle so it covered almost to sides. Cooked up nice and brown and tender inside. Just too delicate. Still well worth the trouble of picking up the pieces.

4. Pie crust-Callieco

This was the closest thing to a flour pie crust I've had since I started low carbing . It is really good. I added some almond flour but basically just used the mix and a regular pie crust recipe:

1/4 cup mix
2TBL almond flour
salt (to taste - I tend to like salty)
1/2 stick cold butter
3 TBL water

Mix the dry ingredients and cut the butter in until crumbly and well mixed. Add water - one tablespoon at a time and mix. The dough was wet but not sticky.

I put the dough into two 5" ceramic tart dishes and formed the crust with my fingers. Pricked with a fork and baked at 325 for about 25 min. I have an oven that never bakes the same way twice so your time might be different.

It's flaky and holds up really well. It stuck a little to the dish so I don't know if you could cut 'slices' but I made no bake cheesecakes with them and it was delicious - honestly I don't think I would have known they were low carb if I hadn't baked them myself. The coconut does seem to get stronger baking it like this though. I used Bob's Red Mill which has a pretty strong taste and smell. Still, amazing stuff.

5. Biscuits-RVcook

I can't handle the coconut flavor in a savory bread, so I'm sticking with the almond flour version. When I make it this way, it really does taste like a biscuit to me. Here is my version:

2 TBS oat fiber
2 TBS almond flour
1 TBS parmesan cheese
1 TBS egg white powder
1 TBS unflavored whey protein isolate (Biochem brand)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. gluc.
pinch salt
approx 1/2 cup low carb milk

For a serving, I would use 1/2 of this recipe mixed well in a 4" square micro dish. Nuke 1 min 30 secs in 1000 watt micro. Flip out of dish, slice into two thin slices or diagonally for two thick slices. Makes one perfect serving of 2 slices of 'bread'. OR nuke in custard cup for more of a biscuit shape. Spread with butter.

6. Southern Buttermilk Biscuits-KCSoccer

Preheat oven to 425ºF. (I baked in toaster oven, because I didn't want to heat the whole oven for 2 biscuits.)

2 Tbs Oatfiber
1 Tbs coconut flour
1 Tbs almond flour
(I omitted whey protein powder)
1 Tbs eggwhite powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt (about 1/8 tsp)
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder (I used one capsule, about 1/3 tsp. actually)

Mix all ingredients together and place bowl in refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes. You want all ingredients COLD.

1 Tbs cold unsalted butter
3 Tbs buttermilk

Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture looks like coarse cornmeal. Add buttermilk and stir until a shaggy dough forms (you may need to add more or less buttermilk, depending upon how absorbent your coconut flour is). Pat (or roll) out two biscuit shapes, about ¾ inch high and 2-3 inches in diameter. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Makes 2 biscuits.

While these didn’t rise as much as a wheat-flour based biscuit (I’m sure that’s the gluten), the texture was spot on – mouthfeel was like a real biscuit.

7. Bread-Callieco

1/4 cup Ouizoid's mix
1 TBL oat flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp equivalent sweetener (I used Tagatose-just got some)
1 egg
1 TBL oil
1/4 cup sparkling water

Mix all the dry ingredients together. Mix in the egg and oil. Add the sparkling water last, stir until well combined. Spray or grease whatever you're going to bake it in. I used the mini loaf pan and baked at 325 for 25 min or until firm to touch and browning on top.

8. Sugar Cookies-ouizoid

A Particularly Delightful Cookie!

I creamed together 2 TBS MCT oil (any oil would do no doubt) 1/4 cup erythritol (my brown sugar knock-off) and 2 Tbs sour cream with 1/4 cup of my mix. dropped rounded spoonfuls on parchment and baked at 350 for 10-12 minutes--brown and crispy on the bottom, cakey in the middle and really so like high carb snickerdoodles!! Delish!
On your bread recipe you say, add oat fiber and baking powder to the mix, doesn't the mix have that in there already or do I add additional? Thank you
Lusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #173
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lusine
Where can I find the recipe for BTF? Thank you
Lusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusine View Post
Where can I find the recipe for BTF? Thank you
Post #1 in this thread.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #175
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pinacoladas
Stats: 146/135 LC 5'5.5" female
WOE: LC + JUDDD
Start Date: ~2011 LC, June 2013 LC+JUDDD
I love this site and this thread! Very helpful when in need of a bread substitute

Last edited by pinacoladas; 03-13-2014 at 10:30 AM..
pinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #176
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cookiecrumbler1
Can I skip the coconut flour?
cookiecrumbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Cookie I make a big batch and I use 1/2 almond flour and 1/2 coconut flour.

I don't think you can skip the coconut flour, but you could try substituting it with all almond flour.
JMCM1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:22 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Needed a fast sandwich czselzer wrote:

Well I made this twice and they came out just like white bread.
I found that scooping out 2 tsps mix for Lupin flour made them moist! And no insulin rises like I get with Marias psyllium bread/loaf. It is so nice to have a fresh(I bought a whole ham with skin and baked in crock pot) ham and low carb relish sandwich with lots of butter.....I did not have to toast it! I had it for lunch at work.
I wanted to fast and skip breAkfast (I was tired of egg yolks every day with coconut oil).
This will open some new doors for breakfast.
I will try next to sub Lupin for the coconut flour.my pea protein is on order, so is my green banana flour!
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
majomor, what recipe are you using?
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
I am using this post no 150
cselzler
Junior LCF Member

Needed a fast sandwich when I came home from work. Starving and really thinking about heading to McDonalds. No bread in the house. Then I remembered the fantastic flour mix that I had mixed up (no sweetener, no baking powder) and thought maybe I could make a kind of bread for a sandwich. Took 1/3 cup mix, 1/2 t. baking powder, 1/8 t. salt, 1 egg, and about 1/3 cup heavy cream. Beat it all together and poured it into a 6 inch round corningware dish which I sprayed with pan spray. In the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes and then tipped it out to cool. As soon as it cooled I sliced it into 3 horizontal slices and had a sandwich with two of them and a third slice for tomorrows breakfast. The texture and flavor was like eating white bread! The round shape just fit the cotto salami and honey-mustard. A lettuce leaf, pickles and half an hour and my sandwich was done and I avoided the temptation of McDonalds. LOL
Great flour mix to keep on hand!
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote