Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
This was really good! My kids demand it for breakfast tomorrow morning, haha.

Peanut Butter BTF Cake with Chocolate Frosting
1 large or 2 small servings

1/4 cup unsweetened BTF
2 T SF Vanilla DaVinci
6 drops vanilla stevia
6 drops EZ-Sweetz (or other sweeteners of choice to taste)
1-2 T creamy peanut butter
1 tsp PB2 (optional)

Mix in a bowl. Add water and mix until it is a thick batter. Microwave approx. 2 minutes. Immediately top with:

2-3 T sf chocolate chips

Allow to sit for 3-5 minutes then spread melted chocolate over top of cake. Eat immediately!

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Mini Tartlet Shells

Got this idea from Georgene here on LCF forums. I tweaked her version a bit, as well as Ouiz's BTF ratios. Remember the old “Fool Proof Pie Crust” recipe that was so popular in the 80′s……the one with the egg and a dab of lemon juice? Well, I just pulled out my original recipe, used Ouiz's BTF (tweaked a bit) for a great low-carb shortbread type tartlet shell. It's very tasty and passed the DH test. My final recipe is only loosely similar to the original Fool Proof Pie Crust recipe, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I’m so pleased with how these came out, because the Fool Proof recipe was always my favorite go-to pie crust before I began my low-carb journey! Today I made strawberry jam and loquat jam tartlets! The dough made 27 tartlet shells or it would make 1 large single-crust pie shell. This recipe is not suitable until Atkins Phase 2 OWL nuts and seeds rung of the carb ladder. The nutritional counts below are for the empty shells only. Be sure to add in the carbs for whatever filling(s) you use.

INGREDIENTS:

1/3 c. + 1 T. coconut flour (I use Honeyvillegrains)
1/3 c. + 1 T. oat fiber (I use Honeyvillegrains)
2½ T. egg white protein (I use NOW brand)
2½ T. plain whey protein powder (I use NOW brand)
1½ tsp. baking powder
1½ tsp. glucomannan powder (konjac powder)
¼ c. + 3 T. palm shortening (or cold butter) - (I use Tropical Traditions)
1 egg (very small)
1 tsp. lemon juice (or vinegar)
2 T. water

DIRECTIONS: Measure all dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl. Stir well. Add shortening (or butter) and stir (cut in) to blend evenly into the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Add the egg, water and 1 tsp. lemon juice. Beat them in the well and then slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the egg mixture with a fork until it is pretty well blended. It will not form a single ball of dough like a traditional flour pie crust, but it will come together in a fairly stiff, malleable dough you can handle without it sticking to your hands. If it is too dry to do this, add 1 T. more water slowly as you incorporate it; if it is too wet, a sprinkle the tiniest bit more oat fiber in and blend well. You want it to be almost as moist as regular pie dough, so you can work with it with your fingers.

At this point, preheat your oven to 350º. If using silicone pans, support with a metal pan. Spoon about 1 T. into each of 27 tartlet mold slots. Press the dough into the bottom and walls of the slots with your fingers. Fill with 1 teaspoon of your favorite pie fillings, jams, preserves, creme fillings, pecan pie filling, pumpkin pie filling, or whatever you like that will cook thoroughly in about 18 minutes. Pop pans into 350º oven for 17-18 minutes or until the crust is beginning to brown lightly and filling is done too the tough. Cool a few minutes and gently pop them out of the pans by pushing up from the bottom if using silicone, by using a knife tip if using metal mini muffin pans. This is the Wilson Silicone pan I use (I have 2):

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 27 mini tartlet shells, each contains: (unfilled)

43 calories
4.1 g fat
2.21 g carbs, 1.69 g fiber, .53 g NET CARBS
.95 g protein
18 mg sodium
12 mg potassium
< 10% RDA all macronutrients
Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Oh miss B! Those are beautiful!!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Those look superduperdelicious!!! Amazing job Peggy!!

Can't wait to try these!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I only had 1 loquat tart, but it was really good. The shortbread-type crust is really nice with this bake mix, Ouiz. Hubby's fav was the strawberry jam version. He's already asking me to try a key lime version.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Those looks so yummy! I just made SF apricot and raspberry jam! :-) I don't have a tart pan but I do have another pan that will work. This will be my next recipe to try. Thank you so much Peggy! You are a fantastic cook!
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Oh my, those look wonderful! I've been trying to figure out how to make little pies--think I'll try this with blackberry or blueberry filling!
dianafoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Peggy, those look so pretty! I have that same pan, I use it for peanut butter cups.
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Peggy.. I made these tonight and they were wonderful. I put about a tbspl or so of spelt flour in place of the coconut. I'm experimenting to see if it will raise my blood sugar numbers. It 'calms' down the coconut flavor.I used apricot SF jam in some and boysenberry SF jam in the others. I didn't have a tart pan so I used a mini muffin pan. It made less than 27 but I'm thinking it's because I made them thicker possibly. Thanks for a great recipe.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

BTF Pancakes Improved!

For each serving:
3 Tbsp. BTF mix
2 tsp oat flour
2 tsp oil
pinch baking soda
1/2 large egg
1/4 cup buttermilk
enough water to make a thin batter

Mix ingredients in the order given. Pour pancakes onto a very hot griddle. Sprinkle each with blueberries, if desired. Let cook until bubbles form on top and top looks dry. Flip and cook until centers are done. Serve with melted butter and sugar free syrup or jam.

I'm putting this recipe here because I found that the BTF mix alone made pancakes that stayed mushy in the center. The addition of a little oat flour makes all the difference!

Last edited by dianafoot; 07-11-2013 at 06:36 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Diana - those look good, love blueberry pancakes! How many from your recipe as posted - 2 pancakes? Have you figured carbs, I'll probably do it if you haven't, but feeling lazy at the moment!
Tweaker Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
Peggy.. I made these tonight and they were wonderful. I put about a tbspl or so of spelt flour in place of the coconut. I'm experimenting to see if it will raise my blood sugar numbers. It 'calms' down the coconut flavor.I used apricot SF jam in some and boysenberry SF jam in the others. I didn't have a tart pan so I used a mini muffin pan. It made less than 27 but I'm thinking it's because I made them thicker possibly. Thanks for a great recipe.
Glad you liked them, Grammy! They're so good it's been real hard not to eat more than just the one I tasted. I'm doing Ouizoid's Potato Hack right now, so I can't have anymore. But I keep thinking of new possibilities for fillings. Everyone's molds and how much dough they can get into each (and how thick they press it out will vary a bit. My pan slots can be filled ½" deep and they are 1 3/4" across. I did press mine pretty thin and I noticed they puffed up thicker during baking.

ONE ADDED NOTE: If using preserves/jams to fill, when my strawberry and blackberry ones cooked, they domed up and then fell back concave when they cooled. But I filled them nicely, so I don't really understand why they did that. Maybe moisture in the jelly bled out into the crust, but it only appeared that way on the blackberry ones I did....not the strawberry. So you might want to slightly "overfill" when using jams and see if that bakes up prettier.

Last edited by buttoni; 07-11-2013 at 06:04 PM..
Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Diana - those look good, love blueberry pancakes! How many from your recipe as posted - 2 pancakes? Have you figured carbs, I'll probably do it if you haven't, but feeling lazy at the moment!
I got three 5" pancakes from this. The angle of my camera made the fork appear to be the size of a pitchfork, but it was really the foreshortening effect of a close-up! I haven't figured carbs, but I'm sure it would be easy to figure if there's a post for the BTF and then count in 2 tsp of oat flour and the few blueberries.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
35. The Hunt for a Non-Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookie-sungoddess

Recipe:
Makes approx 20 cookies

Heat oven to 325 degrees

Ingredients:

1 cup BTF
1 cup Hi-maize 260 resistant starch
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp Baker's ammonia (can use 1/2 tsp baking soda, but it will not have the same texture)

1 1/2 sticks salted butter, softened
1 1/3 cup erythritol mixed with two tsp blackstrap molasses (equal to one cup sugar) -- next time I would use Splenda
4 drops EZ-Sweetz (equal to 8 tsp sugar)
2 whole large eggs, room temp
1 1/2 tsp LorAnn Bakery Emulsions, Princess Cake & Cookie Emulsion (can use vanilla)
3 Tbs water or sufficient to make a rather stiff cookie dough

1 large bar 85% dark chocolate chopped into chips

Mix together in a small bowl, the BTF, resistant starch, salt, and BA.
In another bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar substitute. Mix in the eggs. Add the emulsion. Mix together the wet and dry ingredients. Add water by the tablespoon until it is a rather stiff cookie dough.
Mix in the chocolate bits until uniformly distributed.

Drop dough with a small ice cream scoop onto a cookie sheet with a silpat. The silpat will keep the bottom from over-browning. Gently press down on the cookie dough balls to flatten them to help the spreading. Bake approximately 15 minutes. Leave on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack. Let completely cool.

I really liked the texture when these had completely cooled. They were crispier and light in texture. What I did not like was the cooling effect of the erythritol. I would not use that again. I can't handle xylitol or DiabetiSweet, so I will try this again with Splenda or I might try Just Like Sugar. I thought they were good and I liked the texture, and I will make them again without the erythritol.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16285356

36. Apple dessert- buttoni

I made a tasty apple dessert last night

1 c. cooked spaghetti squash
1/2 c. grated apple
1 rounded Tbsp. unsweetened currants,
about 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 T. Steviva
3 T. melted butter

stirred that all up in a 1½ qt. glass dish.

Topping

1/2 c. BTF
3/4 c. water
1 T. Steviva (since I don't put the erythritol in my mix when I make it up).

Mix and stir well, spread the batter over the "fruit" mixture and baked it for about 30 minutes in a 350º oven. The top didn't brown much (not sure why), but it got done to the touch. Then I dipped it up, flipping it upside down on the dish so the "fruit" was on top. It was quite good. Came out to around 7.85 net carbs per serving. I had another serving warmed up for breakie today with my tea. Mmmm.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16285885

37. Berry Yellow cake-CindyCRNA

Using the yellow cake recipe. I barely taste the coconut in this. I thawed and drained 2 1/2 cups of berries and tossed them with 1/4 cup of a blend of erythritol/tagatose/stevia which I also used in the cake . I put the berries in the bottom of the pan.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16287199

38. Homemade Chocolate Cake- Ginaaaaaa

I baked my cake in a 10 inch springform pan sprayed with Pillsbury Baking Spray with Flour, it took exactly 33 minutes to bake. It's done when a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs on it.

This cake is moist and chocolatey and reminds me of a Duncan Hines cake. It was sweet enough for me but feel free to add more sweetener.

Homemade Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

2 cups BTF Mix
1 3/4 cup Sugar (I used 1/2 cup plus 3/8 cup granular xylitol ground fine but not powdered, plus Splenda liquid equal to 1/2 cup plus 3/8 cup
3/4 cup Cocoa
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
4 tablespoons Butter softened

1 3/4 cups Water or as needed
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
3 large Eggs
1/2-1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract or Buttery Vanilla Emulsion

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the sides and bottom of two 9-inch baking pans or one 13×9-inch pan. Lightly flour the greased pans.

1. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. whisk to combine then sift everything together. Add butter, then use an electric mixer on medium speed to blend butter into dry ingredients. Mix until no chunks of butter are visible.

2. Blend dry cake mix with oil, eggs, extract or emulsion splenda liquid(if using)and water, (add water slowly, mixing as you go until all the dry ingredients are moistened, keep mixing and slowly add water until it looks just like cake batter) in a large bowl with an electric mixer at low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 more minutes.

3. Pour batter into pans and bake for 30 to 33 minutes for 9-inch pans, and 35 to 38 minutes for 13×9-inch pan. You can also make cupcakes with the mix. They take 19 to 22 minutes.

This is the frosting I used

Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup Butter (8 tablespoons)
2 1/2 cups of Powdered Sugar ( I used Powdered Xylitol)
1-4 tablespoons of milk or cream
1-2 tsp Vanilla Extract or Buttery Vanilla Emulsion

Leave the butter to soften at room temperature then beat together with the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk or cream and extract or emulsion until smooth and light in color. Add extra spoons of milk one at a time until the desired consistency is reached.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16287271
OK ......I just made Ginaas Chocolate cake and it was very good.....made it i a bundt type spring form pan.
Also made a cream cheeses frosting as i was lazy to whip up the powdered sugar alcochols.
Gina, I would like to try to make this cake more moist....I was thinking more butter in replacement of some water?
what do you think.
?
thanks, Jo
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:41 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
What about a touch more oil or some sour cream or greek yogurt?
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
A little extra glucomannan and liquid?
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Guys!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Jo, I think adding any type of moisture would help with the dryness. I also put my cakes in the fridge sometimes to cool and storing it keeps them moist.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Gina, good point...Jo
Old 07-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
I have found that the absolute best way to add moisture to a cakey-type baked good is to shred some zucchini or yellow squash into the batter. It kind of melts right into the cake (depending on the type of cake you are making), but even if you can see it, you can't taste it. At 10 calories a half-cup, it's negligible in terms of calories or carbs, and helps the structure of the cake as well.

For a full-sized cake (2 layer or 9 X 13), I would add 2 cups of shredded zucchini. For a MIM, I'd add about 1/4 cup. Also, for me it seems to work best if I use a food processor to shred, instead of hand-shredding, though either will work.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
I have found that the absolute best way to add moisture to a cakey-type baked good is to shred some zucchini or yellow squash into the batter. It kind of melts right into the cake (depending on the type of cake you are making), but even if you can see it, you can't taste it. At 10 calories a half-cup, it's negligible in terms of calories or carbs, and helps the structure of the cake as well.

For a full-sized cake (2 layer or 9 X 13), I would add 2 cups of shredded zucchini. For a MIM, I'd add about 1/4 cup. Also, for me it seems to work best if I use a food processor to shred, instead of hand-shredding, though either will work.
I could try that also!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Coconut flour, why must I gaze upon your tempting recipes, when you have repeatedly failed me before?

Is there a thread like this for just almond flour based recipes?
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Seeking, I know there were various discussions on leaving this or that ingredient out, whether it was allergies of taste preferences.

See post 1968 on the original Fantastic Flour Mix.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ur-mix-66.html

Last edited by watcher513; 07-15-2013 at 06:27 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Working on making beer bread and Melba toast

Will report in the morning on the beer bread.

Has anyone made aebleskeivers with this fantastic flour mix?

Would love to hear from you. I would tried but my first
attempt was a miserable failure.
Barbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bl0nd3y
Stats: 4'11 height<original weight 110lbs <current 94lbs>
WOE: Low Carb/JUDDD
Start Date: 23/08/2013
I was wondering if i could possibly request some information from you knowledgeable folks. I see their are plenty of recipes for flour mixes and blends, but im curious to know if anyone knows the properties of each - not nutritional values, but properties in baking

whey protein isolate
So far i have noted that whey protein isolates seam to create a dense sponge when baked, but is able to rise. when baked with oils it still remains soft.

Flax Meal
gives a grain like texture - havent experimented with it though....

coconut flour
coconut flour so far iv noted it soaks up excess liquid, and dries out a bit, as far as rising or crusting im unsure and would love some feedback on its rising ability, and baking uses

Almond Flour
I think i read Kevinpa stateing that almond meal flour prevents the "rise" in some of his bread rolls, so this could mean almond flour is best suited for pastries, and crunchy goods

Oat fiber ....

Pea protein Flour ...

egg white protein flour ....

pork rind flour .....

hazelnut flour ..

i figure if i investigate what each activity within the flours structure acheives, it will provide a good guide when making a baking mix for the particular item - such as dry, crumbly, crispy flours = cookies, pastries
light, sponge flours = cakes etc
bl0nd3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Plain Cake Donuts

My husband is weird in that he doesn't like flavored donuts much. He just likes plain cake donuts when he goes to a donut shop. Or Dolly Madison plain cake donuts from the grocery store. So I decided to try some of Ouiz's mix to make a Dolly Madison-type cake donut, with just a pinch of nutmeg in them and a pinch of cinnamon on top. They came out GREAT! I used Sungoddess's 2-cup BTF mix donut recipe (sorry, don't know where way back in this thread that recipe lives, but it's the post with the 3 pretty pink iced donuts picture) and tweaked a bit.
Here's a recap of my tweaked version of SG's recipe: I'm not publishing this recipe yet and don't have stats for it:

2 c. BTF mix
1/2 c. Splenda
1/2 c. erythritol
1 pkt. stevia
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
2 beaten eggs
3 T. vanilla DaVinci syrup
1/2 c. cream
1/2 c. water

I completely filled my lightly-oiled "large donut" non-stick donut pans full of batter and evened it out on top with my finger (these don't rise much). Makes exactly 12 large donuts. I had to bake mine 17 minutes because I set my oven at 350º rather than the 425º so the bottoms wouldn't get too brown. They cooked up perfectly and I sprinkled cinnamon/erythritol mix on the top of 3-4 of them.

I'm not currently eating sweets, but I had one bite and these are very tasty and have a nice cake-donut texture. Thanks again for creating your wonderful mix, Ouiz! You really need to continue pursuing marketing that with another company. Here's a pic of the inside of these tasty little gems:
Old 07-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
peggy! oh my! those look TDF!!!

I know you are right--I should--it makes such pretty stuff! I keep meaning to do some research--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I'm not sure how to post my creations with it on my website. So far, I've posted recipes there just itemizing the individual ingredients, as I don't want to refer to your mix by name until you decide what marketing for it you're going to try to do. But I don't feel right without giving you credit for the combining of those ingredients when I post recipes with the mix. I'd love you to PM me with your feelings on that.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, the nutritional info for 1 of the cake donuts above is: (would be 2.59 NC if you sub in liquid sucralose)

117 cals
8.2 g fat
13.5 g carbs
9.15 g fiber
4.45 g NET CARBS
5.6 g protein
114 mg sodium
20 mg potassium

Last edited by buttoni; 07-28-2013 at 01:09 PM..
Old 07-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

The donuts look amazing. I was wondering which protein mix you use in the mix?