Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by djksin View Post
K, I know I'm not always observant but I've looked and can't find the BTF recipe, am I missing something? Cause this all looks so yummy
The original name is Fantastic Flour Mix but the name was changed to BTF Mix. The recipe is in the very first post of this thread. There's a link to the original thread in the first post as well and the recipe amounts for making larger batches also.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-recipes.html
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: djksin
Stats: 275/255/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2/10
Thank you, love netrition, going shopping today!

Last edited by djksin; 03-29-2013 at 05:39 AM..
djksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Strawberry Pie

Oh happy day! I finally made a pie crust my husband would eat! I had a fantastic pie crust recipe I've made for years so I decided to try it using the BTF mix instead of the flour. It turned out great! Prepare yourselves.. I use shortening in my pie crust. I spent an entire year long ago trying all different recipes and shortening made the best pie crust.. in my small opinion.

Here it is:

Georgene's No-Fail Pie Crust:

Cut shortening into dry ingredients in mixing bowl:

1 cup BTF mix
1 tsp. sweetener of your choice (I used Erythritol)
1/2 tsp. salt
A little less than 1/2 cup vegetable shortening

Lightly mix egg into vinegar and water:

1 teaspoon vinegar
1 small egg
1/8 cup water

Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. You may have to add a small amount more water because of the coconut flour.

I wet my board and place a piece of seran wrap on it. I lightly dusted it with BTF mix. I take a large handful of dough, press it gently into flour and then flip it over. I take another piece of seran wrap (or wax paper will work) and place it on top of the pie dough. Roll out the pie dough with a rolling pen. Take the top piece of seran wrap off, put your hand gently under seran wrap under pie dough and flip the dough over into the pie pan. This is the easiest way I have found to roll out pie dough without it sticking to your pen or board.

Bake in a 425 degree oven and started checking it at 8 minutes. It browned quickly.

Strawberry Pie Filling
2 boxes of fresh strawberries
Cut 1 of the boxes into 1/4's and put into pie shell. Smash the other box of strawberries and add to the smashed strawberries the following:

1 cup of sugar replacement (I used 1/4 c. splenda, 1/4 tsp. stevia and 1/2 . Erythritol)
1 tsp. Glucomannon
Opt: a few drops of red food color

Cook in a saucepan until it thickens.

Put 1 package of gelatin into a small amount of warm water and stir. Add to hot mixture. Pour over cut strawberries.

Let cool and thicken. Opt: top with cool whip (I'll try whipping coconut cream tomorrow).

Refrigerate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trey fire engine 030.jpg (66.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Trey fire engine 032.jpg (57.5 KB, 65 views)
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:03 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011

that looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for sharing!
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
That looks like a wonderful pie! Thank you for sharing your crust recipe and tips.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Georgene that pie looks scrumptious!! I look forward to trying your pie crust recipe, and the strawberry filling looks yummy too!!

Thank you for sharing your recipe!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Simply beautiful. Your original recipe sounds exactly like my old vinegar/egg recipe I used for years pre-LC (with regular flour). I'm definitely going to try this one with some of the palm shortening I bought. Your pic looks like a WONDERFUL low-carb rendition of an old favorite. Thanks soooo much.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

I wasn't sure if I should include this info but decided it might help someone. I didn't buy my strawberries in baskets but in a 4 pound container. So, I guessed at how much was a box. I've never had this problem before but I didn't have enough of the 'smashed' concoction to pour over the strawberries so I smashed up some more and added a little sweetener, etc. to fill in.

Hubby and I don't think that we would like the crust used for a top and bottom in a pie. It's perfect for just the bottom. So, I think what I'll do from now on is use this recipe but change it with blackberries or blueberries or even raspberries.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
Hubby and I don't think that we would like the crust used for a top and bottom in a pie. It's perfect for just the bottom. So, I think what I'll do from now on is use this recipe but change it with blackberries or blueberries or even raspberries.
I was thinking about making a berry pie with both a top and a bottom crust with this. Can you explain why you might not want to use this as a top crust?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Fresh strawberry pie - yum! It sure looks delicious!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

I thought I had replied to your question about using the pie crust for the top and bottom but now I don't see my answer. We just thought the flavor would overwhelm the strawberries. Too dry.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Grammy G--how much water do you use to dissolve the gelatin--is this knox gelatin? I was thinking jello in my mind and just reread your recipe--- I don't want to use too much! so do you think it was 2lbs of strawberries that you used then? I was wondering if you had tried the blueberry yet and if so--any suggestions or tips? Thanks for the recipe and the tips--I need all the help I can get!

Last edited by jbatchelor; 06-07-2013 at 06:06 PM..
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Regarding the gelatin.. yes it is Knox unflavored gelatin (I use it in several pie recipes to thicken like coconut pie). I don't measure it but I'm thinking maybe an 1/8 of a cup? You will be cooking the mixture and the water will evaporate. No, I haven't tried the blueberry yet. I should since I picked a bucket a week ago.:-) Two baskets of strawberries is about 2 pounds. It's really an easy pie. Just be careful because it's addicting. :-) I made my Hershey cake this week and replaced the flour with BTF mix. I liked it a lot. I froze half of it for later. I wish I didn't like sweets so much! I'd probably lose a lot faster.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Grammy-I need specific info-hope you share your Hershey cake recipe here--it sounds delish-I am a sweet eater also-it is what keeps me faithful with the woe!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Here is the chocolate cake recipe. I used the SF frosting in the store SPARINGLY.

Deep, Dark Chocolate Cake from Hershey's.

1 3/4 c. flour (BTF MIX)
2 c. sugar (I used 1/8 tsp. stevia, 1/2 cup Erythritol and 1/4 c. Splenda. taste batter and add more if it needs to be sweeter)
3/4 c. Hershey's Cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 c. coconut milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. boiling water
Add more water until batter is thin.

Combine dry ingredients in large mixer bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thing). Pour into greased and floured (I use Pam and no flour) 12" x 9" x 2" pan. bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes clean. Cool and frost.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

That cake sounds really good!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Grammy for the cake recipe! sounds delish!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Grammy G - that cake sounds wonderful, love chocolate! I don't suppose you have a pic you could share??
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Looking for a chocolate cake (GF&LC) made without cocoa for my DD who cannot eat cocoa but loves chocolate. Thanks.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda View Post
Looking for a chocolate cake (GF&LC) made without cocoa for my DD who cannot eat cocoa but loves chocolate. Thanks.

Can she eat carob?
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda View Post
Does that mean he/she (dear daughter/dear dad) can eat baking chocolate, just not cocoa?
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Thanks for you replies. Turns out it isn't the cocoa after all but some other ingredient in Wacky Cake. She has successfully eaten cocoa.
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:49 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Hi, Georgene! (I don't often get to type that! )

Thanks for this very nice recipe, and I have a question.

Is it regular cocoa or do you use (or have you tried) the Hershey's Special Dark cocoa? I would think that would return different results, but if any readers here have tried that, I'd like to know!

Thanks a bunch!

Georgene
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Just made this cake yesterday, and added chocolate icing ( a request from DH) using cocoa, butter and xylitol.
This cake was awesome with no sinks in my high altitude abyss!!
I also added about 1/8 cup cocoa butter to replace some of the boiling water......great added flavor.
I baked in a Pyrex dish and used a convection oven( all I have at my cabin), because of that I could have baked it for less time as I removed it at about 30 minutes.
I used a no name brand cocoa powder(only type available in cottage country where we are in Canada !) I also used Albumen powder for the egg white powder in the mix(again all I had available in this area, it has a bit of yeast in it, which I compromised on)
DH just loved this cake!
Ouizoid , I just love this mix!
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
so happy majomor!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Hi to the 'other' Georgene (I don't ever get to type that! *S*),
No,I have never used the Dark Hershey's cocoa. I just used the regular one. I also froze half of the cake and it did great.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Hi majomor,
I wondered what portions you used for the frosting? Was the Xylitol gritty?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Chocolate frosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G View Post
Hi majomor,
I wondered what portions you used for the frosting? Was the Xylitol gritty?
Hi,
I am very fussy about my frosting....I had a lapse in judgement and used xylitol as I was at cabin so I could not find erythritol! Yes it was a bit gritty even if I powdered in my coffee grinder.(I have better luck with the erythritol or just plain liquid sweetener adjusting the other liquids and fats).
I would recommend using a formula I always use , 1/2 the amount of sugar called for then adding the equivalent in liquid Splenda or stevia glycerite liquid of the full amount recommended(not the1/2 that I used).
Her is the chocolate one that I used and my favorite cream cheese one.

For the frosting:
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar (1 cup erythritol plus 3 cups equiv liquid Splenda or stevia glycerite)
1/2 cup coconut milk, plus more as needed
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup toasted coconut (see note above)
To toast the coconut, place about 1 cup of shredded unsweetened coconut on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet and toast in a 350°F oven, turning a few times, for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden and fragrant.

For the frosting:
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Sift the cocoa powder and powdered sugar over the butter and beat on low speed until combined. Add the coconut milk and coconut extract and beat until on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, adding more coconut milk to thin the frosting as needed.

USUAL frosting I use: does not taste like frosting to me.

2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese or 16 oz coconut cream
1/2 cup confectioner's Swerve (or erythritol, powdered)
1/2 tsp stevia glycerite (omit if using Swerve)
1/4 cup butter or coconut oil
All room temp
Sent from my iPad
Old 07-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Poppy seed cake pops

This is my favorite glaze to use on my poppyseed(most times I use Chia seeds) cake pops (I just put the muffin batter into the cake pop pan!)
I like my glazes thin.
Here it is:
½ cup powdered Swerve Sweetener or powdered erythritol
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the glaze, whisk together powdered erythritol and lemon juice until smooth. If too thin, add a bit more powdered erythritol. If too thick, at a bit more liquid.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Xylitol in frosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by majomor View Post
Hi,
I am very fussy about my frosting....I had a lapse in judgement and used xylitol as I was at cabin so I could not find erythritol! Yes it was a bit gritty even if I powdered in my coffee grinder.(I have better luck with the erythritol or just plain liquid sweetener adjusting the other liquids and fats).
I would recommend using a formula I always use , 1/2 the amount of sugar called for then adding the equivalent in liquid Splenda or stevia glycerite liquid of the full amount recommended(not the1/2 that I used).
Her is the chocolate one that I used and my favorite cream cheese one.

For the frosting:
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar (1 cup erythritol plus 3 cups equiv liquid Splenda or stevia glycerite)
1/2 cup coconut milk, plus more as needed
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup toasted coconut (see note above)
To toast the coconut, place about 1 cup of shredded unsweetened coconut on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet and toast in a 350°F oven, turning a few times, for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden and fragrant.

For the frosting:
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Sift the cocoa powder and powdered sugar over the butter and beat on low speed until combined. Add the coconut milk and coconut extract and beat until on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, adding more coconut milk to thin the frosting as needed.

USUAL frosting I use: does not taste like frosting to me.

2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese or 16 oz coconut cream
1/2 cup confectioner's Swerve (or erythritol, powdered)
1/2 tsp stevia glycerite (omit if using Swerve)
1/4 cup butter or coconut oil
All room temp
Sent from my iPad
I would not use xylitol in uncooked icing/frosting......I have gastric issues if it is not melted completely .......
I have it everyday in my coffee (mainly for my teeth)that is hot so it melts and in my cakes as it s cooked....but in icing where it is difficult to melt I get huge unmentionables gastric wise....so a cautionary note this is!