Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Hi Barb, I hope you're feeling better soon!!

I did try a yeast dough using this flour mix. It's a quick and easy pizza crust that doesn't have a rise time. I could taste the yeast in the pizza but it doesn't have the same texture as it would using regular flour. I was happy with how it turned out though.

Here it is if you would like to do some experimenting when you're feeling better.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16251867
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Hi Barb, I hope you're feeling better soon!!

I did try a yeast dough using this flour mix. It's a quick and easy pizza crust that doesn't have a rise time. I could taste the yeast in the pizza but it doesn't have the same texture as it would using regular flour. I was happy with how it turned out though.

Here it is if you would like to do some experimenting when you're feeling better.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16251867
Gina, was it crunchy?
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Hey guys, I was hoping that we could keep the recipe discussions in the original thread and just post recipes in the sticky thread, that way we can find recipes easily.

If a recipe or tip gets posted in the original thread I will copy it onto the sticky thread.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-20-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Hey guys, I was hoping that we could keep the recipe discussions in the original thread and just post recipes in the sticky thread, that way we can find recipes easily.

If a recipe or tip gets posted in the original thread I will copy it onto the sticky thread.
oop, sorry
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
oop, sorry
I'm sorry, I was going to tell you about the pizza crust. It came out crispy, not crunchy but I don't think I've ever had a low carb crust come out crunchy unless it had some type of wheat flour in it. For some reason low carb bread and pizza doesn't get crunchy.

I liked the yeast taste and the bottom did get crisp.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Recipe Ideas and suggestions

Deb34: What about water chestnut flour to add crispiness to breading/cookies or piecrust?
Now I'm wondering if a little water chestnut flour could be added to a little of the mix to add that crispiness to breaded things. It might also be a good addition for crisping up the cookie recipes?

The nutrition info I found online for water chestnut flour says it has 5 gm carbs per 1/4 cup with 1 gm fibre so that = 4 gm per 1/4 cup.

If you mix 1/8 cup water chestnut flour into your FFM breading, you'd only be adding 2 gm of carbs.

Google: GourmetSleuth Water chestnut starch for the info. It seems to agree with the tracker on the nutrition info.

Since this stuff is slightly course, I would whizz it in my coffee grinder to make the powder finer before adding to a recipe.

Quote:
Also referred to as water chestnut powder, or water chestnut flour the product is extracted from water chestnut (Eleocharis dulcis). The resulting flour (starch) is a slightly coarse looking, greyish color used as a thickener which also adds a sheen to the liquid. It is also used as a coating for frying and it adds a crispy texture. Chestnut flour does not blend in water as easily as corn starch. **This is not the same as "chestnut flour" made from tree chestnuts.
Water Chestnut Flour (Starch) Nutrition Information:
Per 1/4 cup (32g)
Calories: 34
Fat: 0
Cholesterol: 0
Carbohydrate: 5g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Sugars: 2g
Protein: 1g
when I get some, I'll give it a try....

Soobee: I made the BTF mix with whey protein. I loved it, but DH did not. We tried to figure out which ingredient was bothering him. It turned out to be the whey protein. My next BTF mix was made with pea protein. DH loved it. Pea protein is cheap and good for lactose intolerant folks. Maybe it would be a good choice for your final product, Ouizoid.

Perdita: I made a 'large' batch of the page one recipe, using all coconut flour. I've struggled with this quite a bit, as I haven't used coconut flour much and was just completely unprepared for how dry it is. (You read and read about it and think you understand, and then watch a small muffin basically consume an entire tablespoon of melted butter with not much change in texture.) ANYWAY, I didn't want to waste the stuff, so I tried genaw's "basic almond flour muffin" recipe, with the following adjustments:

1) Replaced one oz of the six ounces of almond flour called for with the Fantastic Flour mix.

2) Added an additional tablespoon of oil

(I also add a lot of cinnamon.)

Baked as directed--I've used this recipe before and love it, but it's a fairly typical almond flour muffin--dense and 'heavy'. However, I think adding the 1oz of flour mix acted the same way the "fake cakeability' recipes do--it transformed it from 'dense almond flour muffin' into a light, moist cakey muffin. Definitely a success.

Deb34: cross posting to my Close to Campbells Tomato Soup recipe...I have my soup with biscuits made with BetterThanFlour mix. This satisfies a lifelong love of tomato soup and biscuits, post #345, one of my all time favourite lunch combos.

Close to Campbells Tomato Soup

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16268023

CarenL: I tried Buttoni's pancake recipe using the mix (post #686). It made 3 pancakes that really tasted good. I'd say the only difference between these and regular wheat flour pancakes is they are more "tender" which is to say they have a slightly different mouthfeel. I found the amount of liquid just a tad too much making my batter a bit to runny, so next time I make them I will cut back, ever so slightly on that. Otherwise they were the best lc pancakes I've tasted so far.

Brendajm: I made yummy biscuits for dinner tonight by taking'1/4 cup of the mix and adding 2 tbsp almond flour and 1 tbsp butter and water and almond milk. I added the almond milk and water first till i got a thickness batter then cut in the butter. It made two nice biscuits for me and my hubby. I micro,d about 2.5 minutes. I had the batter split between 2 small pyrex dishes, then put in toaster oven and crisped up. They were very good.

Whoknew: I have been making Barbo's First Draft Cornbread (Barbo's First Draft Corn Bread LC) and using 1/2 cup of Jen's Bake mix instead of Carbquik. Last night, I subbed out the bake mix with Better Than Flour - - lighter, corn taste came through better! Barbo's cornbread is just even more awesome!! (Shout out to Barbo -- hope you heal quickly!!!)

This morning, I made Chicken Lady's Almond Flour Fudge Cake and subbed out 2/3 cup of the almond flour for the Better Than Flour -- just curious! The BTF seemed to make it lighter. I did add 1/4 c 1/2 and 1/2 and 1/4 c HWC to get the batter to a consistency of not quite brownie batter. Turned out alright for donuts and mini-cakes. (sorry, no camera-no pics) dianne

Tweaker Geek: I made a buttermilk biscuit for breakfast this morning, I just used a 1/3 cup flour mix (made with almond flour and unflavored protein powder), a pinch of salt, 1/8 tsp. extra baking powder, 1 Tbsp. cold butter and 2-4 Tbs. buttermilk. Shaped into 2 biscuits and baked on a small baking pan in toaster oven. I got 2 lovely biscuits out of this, ate one for breakfast just warm out of the oven with butter; I think the other will be a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit tomorrow.

I am so happy to have a quick way to make just a biscuit or two; I love them but don't always want to make a full recipe. They are best right out of the oven IMO. I used to use Bakewell Cream in my biscuits, they came out very tall and fluffy, this is the closest I've come with a low carb one. I am one happy camper!!

Ginaaaaaa: I made Callieco's bread the other day so I could make French toast with it and it got rave reviews from my DD who is 21 and picky and my teenage son. I loved it also!!

Here's her recipe!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16192745

CarenL: I tried chicken lady's cornbread (which we totally love) subbing 1 cup of the almond flour with 1 cup of weezies btf mix. Used 25 drops of stevia and 1-1/2 tbs swerve. Added an egg because of the coconut flour in ouzoids mix. Used coconut oil for the oil. Soaked the ground cornmeal in 1 cup of boiling water for about 1 hour then processed in Cuisinart. Added 2 tbs powdered milk and 2 tbs hwc as that is in the low carb milk in the original recipe. I haz an anxiety because I did not dissolve the swerve in the liquid ingredients and hope it doesn’t crystalize and ruin everything. Fingers crossed!

Yay! I finally got the loft that I haven't been able to achieve with almond flour and baking powder alone!

It's a tad dry - maybe 450 degree oven is too much. Next time ill throw in another egg? In the meantime, I'll have to smother it in butter!!! oh darn!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16272044
Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

30. Homemade Yellow Cake- Ginaaaaaa

2 Cups BTF Mix
1 1/2 Cups Sugar ( I used 3/4 Cup xylitol and liquid Splenda to equal 3/4 Cup
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Non-Fat Dry Milk ( I used Whole Milk Powder, but you can use non-fat or just replace water in recipe with your favorite milk substitute)
2 Cups Water
2-3 teaspoons Vanilla ( I used Buttery Vanilla Emullsion
1/2 Cup Butter softened
3 Large Eggs

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and non-fat dry milk.

Add water, vanilla, butter, and eggs. Combine with an electric mixer then beat two more minutes. Pour into a greased and floured cake pan. Bake at 350-degrees, using these baking times (watch carefully as your oven may vary–test for doneness using a toothpick):

8″ or 9″ cake rounds — 20-25 minutes 13 x 9 pan — 35-40 minutes cupcakes — 12-15 minutes tube/bundt pan — 45-50 minutes Don’t overbake! You’ll dry out your cake.

This is hands down the BEST low carb cake ever!! It actually tastes like REAL cake. My kids thought I made a high carb cake, they were looking at me like I was nuts wolfing down regular cake lol They were saying they couldn't believe it was low carb. I can't wait to take it to a family get together and stun everyone! It's moist, not dry at all. I'm just amazed how good it is.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16273406
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 02-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

31. Diana’s BTF Biscuits- dianafoot

This is similar to several biscuit recipes that I have read on this thread, but with the addition of a little grated cheese (I used Mexican Blend). I've tweaked the recipe until it is the best lc biscuit I have ever tasted, and believe me, living here in the South, I am a biscuit fanatic!

Diana’s BTF Biscuits
• ¼ cup original Better Than Flour mix, using unsweetened whey protein and no erythritol in the mix
• ¼ tsp baking soda
• ¼ tsp extra baking powder
• ¼ tsp salt
• 2 tsp cold butter, chopped into tiny pieces
• ¼ cup buttermilk, or as needed
• 1 tbsp. grated cheddar cheese

Mix all dry ingredients well. Mix in the chopped butter pieces and chop up a little more until it is well incorporated into the flour. Stir in the cheese. Drizzle in the buttermilk until the dough comes together. If needed, I add a little very cold water until as the dough soaks up the liquid, until a soft dough is formed.

Spoon the dough into a small baking dish (I used a round, cylindrical dish about 4” in diameter, sprayed with cooking spray). Microwave or until just barely not gooshy on the top. My microwave takes about 2 ½ minutes to get to this point, but I think my little microwave is pretty low wattage. Do not overdo—your biscuit should not be firm and dry on the top, just not soft enough for your finger to sink right in when you push on it.

Turn out onto a cooling rack—the biscuit will be slightly damp. Let cool and dry for a few minutes. Slice horizontally into 2 or three pieces, brush with melted butter and toast under the broiler until golden and a little crispy on top.

I usually get 3 slices out of this and most of the time I have one slice with an egg and some bacon or sausage. It is very filling.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16273690
Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

32. Meyer Lemon Snowballs-sungoddess

I get together with a group of woman for tea/coffee. One of the women was recently diagnosed with diabetes and she desperately wanted to have a sugarfree cookie with a strong lemon taste to go with her tea. She loves those lemon and lime cooler cookies. This does not replicate the coolers, but the lemon glaze on them satisfied her need for the lemony flavor she craved. They are similar to Russian Tea Cakes, only with lemon.

These taste better if they are allowed to thoroughly cool and even better after the textures and flavors meld overnight.

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
Sugar substitute to equal 2/3 cup sugar (I used 16 drops EZ- Sweet)
2 Tbs chia gel (see below)
2 tsp grated meyer lemon zest- avoid white pith
2 Tbs meyer lemon juice
1 cup BetterThan Flour (BTF)
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 c almond flour (the fine grind type)

Instructions
In a bowl, cream butter, sugar substitute, and chia gel until well blended. Mix in lemon juice and zest. Combine BTF and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Mix in almond flour. Mixture should be moist and crumbly but hold together when pinched.

Using a scant Tbs of dough, roll into balls. Place on Silpat baking sheet. (If using ungreased cookie sheet , watch that the bottom doesn’t burn). Bake at 325 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned and firm to the touch.
Remove immediately to wire racks; cool for 5 minutes, then glaze.
Yield: about 20

Glaze
1 cup powdered Erythritol
4 Tbs lemon juice

Mix together until smooth. Roll baked and cooled cookie balls in glaze and let dry on wire rack.

Basic Chia Gel
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
1 cup of water
Method:
In a bowl, add the seeds to the water and whisk them in with a fork or whisk.
After a few minutes you will need to whisk the gel again to make sure seeds don’t clump together in the bottom of your bowl. Leave to stand for 10 to 15 minutes. This enables the seeds to absorb the liquid.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16275214
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

More Better Than Flour pics

Here's another collage!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-23-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Your collages are so pretty, Gina. The recipes people are coming up with are simply amazing. So many creative cooks around here!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor

OK, I made this today for Brunch and it was excellent. It was so fluffy!!
I am not too familiar with southern Biscuits, but those sure did taste like real bisquik biscuits.
I toasted them then sliced in half and buttered the insides...soooo good.
The mouth feel was excellent!]
Thanks Gina, and I used the cheddar, which was Goats aged cheddar as DH only agrees with goats milk and cheese!
I did not have real buttermilk so I made my own with lime juice in the bottle and whole goats milk.
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: adiasmc1
Stats: 5'1" - 193/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Gina, you rock for putting this all together for everyone. Thanks so much for all your work!
adiasmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Thank guys!!!

33. Chocolate Chip Cookies- whoknew

Chocolate Chip Cookies

In one bowl, whisk together:
1 cup almond flour
1 cup Better Than Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

In separate bowl, cream together
1 cup Butter (softened or partially melted)
1 cup granular Erythritol
3/8 tsp NuStevia powder (equal to 1/2 cup sugar)
1 1/2 tsps black strap molasses
1 egg.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well. This actually looks and feels like cookie dough.

Add in what you want to use as chips. I use about 1/2 cup of chips (100 gms by weight).

NOTES: I use a cookie dough scoop equal to 1 tablespoon. I also line a pan with aluminum foil and spray with Pam. I can lift the foil out and set aside to let cookies cool and refoil the pan and continue baking. I also used a Silpat sheet on a pan. The aluminum foil browns the bottoms of the cookies more than the Silpat.

Drop cookies onto cookie sheet and press down with fingers. Cookie is about 3/8" to 1/2" thick. These bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.

These could be made thinner, but I think they would bake quicker, burn easily...I will find out next time!

I got about 40 cookies.
For the brands of ingredients I used, NET carb count is 31.3. (I do not count sugar alcohols and fiber). The 31.3 carbs does NOT include the chips. I use what I can get at the time and it's easier to just add in the new chips' carb count. I also think this can be a good cookie base for me to use with different add-ins like a few raisins per cookie, chopped cranberries, etc.

The cookies turned out to be a dull crisp, not a snappy crisp. They don't fall apart into grains in your mouth; they hold up well to dunking in coffee!! My non-lc hubby said they were a pretty good choc chip cookie, tasted like the real thing. (my opinion: they are good, satisfy the need, but they are NOT a toll house cookie!!!!)

Pic is CarenL's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-24-2013 at 07:57 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

34. Upside Down Peach Cake- Callieco

When I made the peach upside down cake I used Gina's recipe for the cake. I didn't have milk powder so I subbed cream and water and low carb milk along with about 2 tbl coconut flavored splenda syrup.

Cake

Homemade Yellow Cake

2 Cups BTF Mix
1/2 Cup Non-Fat Dry Milk ( I used Whole Milk Powder, but you can use non-fat or just replace water in recipe with your favorite milk substitute)
2 Cups Water
1/2 Cup Butter softened
3 Large Eggs

Add water, vanilla, butter, and eggs. Combine with an electric mixer then beat two more minutes. Pour into a greased and floured cake pan. Bake at 350-degrees, using these baking times (watch carefully as your oven may vary–test for doneness using a toothpick):

8″ or 9″ cake rounds — 20-25 minutes 13 x 9 pan — 35-40 minutes cupcakes — 12-15 minutes tube/bundt pan — 45-50 minutes Don’t overbake! You’ll dry out your cake.

The topping:
Melt 2 tbl butter and put it in the bottom of a cake pan. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup sweetener over the butter. I used a combo of 1/4 cup swerve mixed with 1/2 tsp molasses and 1 tbl Just Like Sugar Brown and about 2 Tbl of Tagatose. Layer peaches over the bottom - I used a can of no sugar canned peaches - and sprinkle with pecans.

I forgot: pour the cake over the topping and
Bake per cake instructions. Let it cool for about 10 minutes. Turn it onto a plate.

You could actually use any combo of fruit/berries/nuts for this. It's so simple. I'm having a piece right now and it tastes so good. The cake still has the texture of pound cake but it seems as though baked goods made with this mix taste even better next day - like the flavors and ingredients have time to settle and meld. You know how pound cake gets that little almost crunchy sugary edge...well I got that with this cake

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 02-25-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

OK Gina,
I made the biscuits again, but I was out of the BTF mix, so I tried another mix from one of the other various low carb mixes TWICE!!!...did not work great.......sooooo this BTF mix is awesome!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Peach cake

I have been making a Peach cake all summer which I tweaked from Food 52.
I am going to have to try this mix with it...The only difference is that I assemble my cake in an opposite direction/method.
I usually put my batter in the bottom then I push down my peaches onto it....as many peaches I can get into that baby!
I also add cocoa butter to replace half the butter melted to get my chocolate fix, as I can't have the cocoa liqueur in dark chocolate as it gives me arthritis symptoms!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fluffyg-ma
Stats: 267/245/130
WOE: atkins induction
Start Date: 9/5/2011
saving my spot
fluffyg-ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Recipes

35. The Hunt for a Non-Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookie-sungoddess

Recipe:
Makes approx 20 cookies

Heat oven to 325 degrees

Ingredients:

1 cup BTF
1 cup Hi-maize 260 resistant starch
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp Baker's ammonia (can use 1/2 tsp baking soda, but it will not have the same texture)

1 1/2 sticks salted butter, softened
1 1/3 cup erythritol mixed with two tsp blackstrap molasses (equal to one cup sugar) -- next time I would use Splenda
4 drops EZ-Sweetz (equal to 8 tsp sugar)
2 whole large eggs, room temp
1 1/2 tsp LorAnn Bakery Emulsions, Princess Cake & Cookie Emulsion (can use vanilla)
3 Tbs water or sufficient to make a rather stiff cookie dough

1 large bar 85% dark chocolate chopped into chips

Mix together in a small bowl, the BTF, resistant starch, salt, and BA.
In another bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar substitute. Mix in the eggs. Add the emulsion. Mix together the wet and dry ingredients. Add water by the tablespoon until it is a rather stiff cookie dough.
Mix in the chocolate bits until uniformly distributed.

Drop dough with a small ice cream scoop onto a cookie sheet with a silpat. The silpat will keep the bottom from over-browning. Gently press down on the cookie dough balls to flatten them to help the spreading. Bake approximately 15 minutes. Leave on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack. Let completely cool.

I really liked the texture when these had completely cooled. They were crispier and light in texture. What I did not like was the cooling effect of the erythritol. I would not use that again. I can't handle xylitol or DiabetiSweet, so I will try this again with Splenda or I might try Just Like Sugar. I thought they were good and I liked the texture, and I will make them again without the erythritol.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16285356

36. Apple dessert- buttoni

I made a tasty apple dessert last night

1 c. cooked spaghetti squash
1/2 c. grated apple
1 rounded Tbsp. unsweetened currants,
about 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 T. Steviva
3 T. melted butter

stirred that all up in a 1½ qt. glass dish.

Topping

1/2 c. BTF
3/4 c. water
1 T. Steviva (since I don't put the erythritol in my mix when I make it up).

Mix and stir well, spread the batter over the "fruit" mixture and baked it for about 30 minutes in a 350º oven. The top didn't brown much (not sure why), but it got done to the touch. Then I dipped it up, flipping it upside down on the dish so the "fruit" was on top. It was quite good. Came out to around 7.85 net carbs per serving. I had another serving warmed up for breakie today with my tea. Mmmm.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16285885

37. Berry Yellow cake-CindyCRNA

Using the yellow cake recipe. I barely taste the coconut in this. I thawed and drained 2 1/2 cups of berries and tossed them with 1/4 cup of a blend of erythritol/tagatose/stevia which I also used in the cake . I put the berries in the bottom of the pan.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16287199

38. Homemade Chocolate Cake- Ginaaaaaa

I baked my cake in a 10 inch springform pan sprayed with Pillsbury Baking Spray with Flour, it took exactly 33 minutes to bake. It's done when a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs on it.

This cake is moist and chocolatey and reminds me of a Duncan Hines cake. It was sweet enough for me but feel free to add more sweetener.

Homemade Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

2 cups BTF Mix
1 3/4 cup Sugar (I used 1/2 cup plus 3/8 cup granular xylitol ground fine but not powdered, plus Splenda liquid equal to 1/2 cup plus 3/8 cup
3/4 cup Cocoa
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
4 tablespoons Butter softened

1 3/4 cups Water or as needed
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
3 large Eggs
1/2-1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract or Buttery Vanilla Emulsion

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the sides and bottom of two 9-inch baking pans or one 13×9-inch pan. Lightly flour the greased pans.

1. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. whisk to combine then sift everything together. Add butter, then use an electric mixer on medium speed to blend butter into dry ingredients. Mix until no chunks of butter are visible.

2. Blend dry cake mix with oil, eggs, extract or emulsion splenda liquid(if using)and water, (add water slowly, mixing as you go until all the dry ingredients are moistened, keep mixing and slowly add water until it looks just like cake batter) in a large bowl with an electric mixer at low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 more minutes.

3. Pour batter into pans and bake for 30 to 33 minutes for 9-inch pans, and 35 to 38 minutes for 13×9-inch pan. You can also make cupcakes with the mix. They take 19 to 22 minutes.

This is the frosting I used

Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup Butter (8 tablespoons)
2 1/2 cups of Powdered Sugar ( I used Powdered Xylitol)
1-4 tablespoons of milk or cream
1-2 tsp Vanilla Extract or Buttery Vanilla Emulsion

Leave the butter to soften at room temperature then beat together with the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk or cream and extract or emulsion until smooth and light in color. Add extra spoons of milk one at a time until the desired consistency is reached.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16287271
Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

39. BTF Cinnamon/Apple Muffins- Tweaker Geek

I need to tell you how this recipe comes about. Night before last, I made a pork roast for dinner and I like apple with pork so I took two granny smith apples, cored them and sliced in thick slices. I melted some erythritol in a frying pan, added cinnamon and nutmeg, combined all together. Then I added the apple rings and cooked till tender and to coat with the spice mix.

Forward to yesterday - I had apple rings left over. I used the leftover pork to make a pork almondine recipe that I like and didn't know what I'd do with the apples. So BTF to the rescue for Cinnamon Apple Muffins. Here's my recipe:

BTF Cinnamon/Apple Muffins:

1/2 cup BTF
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup DaVinci cinnamon syrup
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Erythritol, melted
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Spiced apple rings

Mix BTF and baking powder. Add melted butter and beat in egg, add the syrup and water. Mix well.

Melt erythritol and add cinnamon and nutmeg, stir to combine. Pour half of this mixture into the batter and stir well.
hafl fill 4 silicone muffin cups, pour remaining spice mixture over muffins then top with remaining batter.

Bake at 350 for 15 mins. or till toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely. At this point you can leave them as is or cut in half, put a dollop of cream cheese icing, top with a spiced apple ring, put top on and frost with the remaining icing.

Spiced Apple Rings:

Core 2 granny smith apples. Cut into thick slices (4-5 per apple). Melt erythritol, add cinnamon and nutmeg, stir to combine. Add the apple rings and cook till apple is tender but not mushy. Let cool.

Cream Cheese Icing:

2 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered erythritol
4 drops EZ-Sweetz
1 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix to make a spreadable icing. The ingredients in the icing can be adjusted to your personal taste.

I ate one of these for breakfast and I thought it was wonderful!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16290814

Old 03-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Nutritional Information

Buttoni: nutritional information

Nutritional Info on the Flour Mix
I ran the numbers on the basic mix using a tracker loading with NOW unflavored whey protein (not vanilla), NOW eggwhite protein, and Let'sDoOrganic coconut flour and this is what I get for the entire basic mix recipe in Post #1. Bear in mind her little recipe makes about 1/3 c. and many of you are making multiple recipes of the mix and then measuring out only 1/4 c. of the mix for a muffin, so what you're getting is about 1T. (1/5)less mix and therefore 1/5 less on each of these numbers. Then you have to add the carbs for whatever you put in/on the recipe for flavorings, like fruit, nuts, coconut, syrups. (NOTE: be sure you deduct the 17 g. fiber shown to the left of the pie chart, reducing it to 3.9 NC for the entire recipe of mix as written by Ouizoid in Post #1, no tweaks)

I did the numbers for 1/4 c. of the mix as written in post #1 . Since 1/3 c.=5T. (amt. the recipe makes) and 1/4 c.=4T. (amt. most of us are using in our recipes), that is 4/5 of the original recipe. So taking 4/5 (.8) of each ingredient's macronutrient value in my chart above, this is what I come up with.

1/4 c. Ouiz's Flour Mix = 75 calories, 2.56 g fat, 13.6 g fiber, 16.8 g carbs, 3.2 NC, 6.4 g protein

Hope this helps folks using just 1/4 c. mix per recipe. Don't forget to add in whatever flavorings you're adding.

Don't forget to subtract the fiber from the carbs in the chart below!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

nutritional info

Hi Gina,
in the chart where it says Egg white "protein Powder'
I thought it was Egg white powder as stated in the recipe?
Then add Whey Protein Powder.
I an confused as to 2 kinds of Protein Powder ?
thanks,
Joanne
Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majomor View Post
Hi Gina,
in the chart where it says Egg white "protein Powder'
I thought it was Egg white powder as stated in the recipe?
Then add Whey Protein Powder.
I an confused as to 2 kinds of Protein Powder ?
thanks,
Joanne
Egg white protein powder is the same thing as egg white powder, there's only egg whites in the ingredients. It's not the same thing as whey protein.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Ginaaaas yellow cake

Quote:
30. Homemade Yellow Cake- Ginaaaaaa

2 Cups BTF Mix
2 Cups Water
1/2 Cup Butter softened
3 Large Eggs

This is hands down the BEST low carb cake ever!! It actually tastes like REAL cake. My kids thought I made a high carb cake, they were looking at me like I was nuts wolfing down regular cake lol They were saying they couldn't believe it was low carb. I can't wait to take it to a family get together and stun everyone! It's moist, not dry at all. I'm just amazed how good it is.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16273406
Ok I made this cake at high altitude with zero humidity in canada and it was to die for!!!!
Thanks Gina
This is the first time I have made a cake in my corundum of weather without having that forever sink/drop in the middle , yoooohoooo!!!!

Last edited by majomor; 03-06-2013 at 09:53 PM..
Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Majomor, I'm glad my cake came out good for you!

40. Peanut Butter Cookies-rosethorns

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 c. BTF mix
1/2c. blanched almond flour
1/2 c. corn resistant starch ( or Hi-Maize )
1/2 butter or coconut oil softened
1 1/2 c. sweetner ( your choice )
2 eggs
1/2 c. peanut butter
salt
1 tsp vanilla (I used 2 T. peanut butter davincis syrup)
3/4 c. almond milk or CC or cream + water

combine in a large bowl all the dry ingredients and set aside, Cream butter , sweetener , peanut butter , and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add
eggs and milk combine well. Add wet to the dry in 3 sections untill well combined.

Bake at 375 for 12 to 15 mins. Enjoy !!!!

Yes the corn resistant starch is critical so not to have a cakey cookie.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16301400
Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: catnmouse
Stats: 249/239/175
WOE: Atkins sort of : )
Start Date: October 25,2011, restart march 2013
Gina your yellow cake mix was divine! I used fried apples(chayote on the bottom) added cream and water, and salted caramel divinci's , my co-workers couldn't believe they weren't apples, or that the cake was LC. I will be using different combinations, I'm so excited! I had to bake for 30 min. Need to make alot more flour mix up.

Last edited by catnmouse; 03-13-2013 at 11:03 AM..
catnmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad you liked my cake catnmouse! Yours sounds very yummy!!

41. Onion Ring Batter-Ginaaaaaa

I decided to try making onion rings with the BTF mix using my old onion ring batter and they came out really good!! They were light and crispy. It makes a LOT of batter so you may want to cut the recipe in half unless you're making them for a big crowd. I only used 2 small-medium onions and still had PLENTY of batter leftover. You could leave out the onion powder to save on carbs. I may try using less corn meal next time too. I didn't time them, I just cooked until golden brown.

Onion Ring Batter

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups BTF 19.2 net carbs
3 tablespoons Cornmeal 21g carbs
3 tablespoons Onion Powder ( I used 2 tablespoons) 15g net carbs
2 teaspoons Salt
1 1/2 cups Milk ( I used calorie countdown) 6g carbs
1 Egg
1 cup Water or more as needed

Directions:
Blend all ingredients well. Coat onion rings in BTF then dip into the batter. Fry a few at a time allowing room so they don't stick together. I just used a pan on the stove top heated on medium high heat. I needed to add more water to the batter because it thickened up.

61.2 carbs for the batter, does not include the onions.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16320060
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 03-18-2013 at 06:15 PM..
Old 03-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

42. Crepes-Ginaaaaaa

These were really good!! I filled some with cut up cooked chicken and broccoli, then spooned on alfredo sauce, rolled the crepes up and sprinkled cheddar on top.

I sweetened the left over batter and added vanilla to make sweet Crepes and spread with sweetened cream cheese then spooned strawberry sauce over it and topped with whipped cream.

I cooked the Crepes on my pancake maker because I wanted to make more than one at a time.

Crepes

Ingredients
1 cup BTF
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter melted

Directions
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, water, salt and butter. Slowly sift in the flour a little at a time while whisking until all the flour is mixed in and the batter is smooth. Add more water as needed, it should be a runny batter.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Stack crepes with paper towels in between.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: djksin
Stats: 275/255/155
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2/10
K, I know I'm not always observant but I've looked and can't find the BTF recipe, am I missing something? Cause this all looks so yummy
djksin is offline   Reply With Quote