Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Best thin waffle or pizelle iron? Or should I get a bread machine?

My house is really old and tiny; the kitchen has no oven, and many of the electrical outlets have stopped working, so we no longer have a place to plug in a microwave or convection oven. I *can* use a George Forman grill, and it has waffle irons; I borrowed a bread machine from a neighbor a while back, and it didn't trip the breakers.

I recently stopped eating wheat and that has really cut down on my LC bread/tortilla/cracker options. And I noticed (back when I was able to use my convection oven) that a lot of the LC nut flour bread/muffin/pancake recipes that sometimes don't rise enough or "hold together" due to a lack of gluten, & therefore come out too dense or uncooked in the middle, make fine waffles.

My problem is...the plates I have for the grill make really thick waffles. I'm looking for something that makes thin ones, like Eggos; I'm thinking these might be good for sandwiches and burger buns. But most of the popular models make thick Belgian waffles.

The exceptions seem to be "Five of Hearts" and pizelle makers. Anybody have any experience with these? Especially with gluten-free batters?

I'm also checking out the Breadman line of bread machines. Some of them are pretty affordable, and I just discovered tonight that many of them have settings for low-carb and gluten-free breads! I haven't found any reviews about how they perform with LC or GF recipes yet; if any of y'all have experience with this, or if you have good results using "regular" settings on your bread machine, please let me know.

TIA!

Last edited by piratejenny; 02-12-2013 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: add details
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 69yr.old 4'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
I have a pizzele iron and would be glad to try something for you. I have ground almonds and flaxmeal but that is it. I do not know anything about gluten free. So if you have a recipe put it on and if I have or could get the ingrediance I would be glad to try and let you know. I am thinking you want to know as to buy a pizzele iron or not.
susume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you!

Okay, this looks like a simple almond flour waffle recipe:
(from comfybelly)

(PS--and you could just make 1/2 or 1/4 batch if you don't want to risk wasting a lot of ingredients)

1 cup of almond flour (or other nut flour)
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
4 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 tablespoons of honey (or other sweetener)**
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)

Place the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, and blend with a whisk.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until well blended.

**I would make it without honey but the recipe might need a little more liquid if you leave it out. Maybe oil or melted butter to make sure waffles don't stick.

Last edited by piratejenny; 02-12-2013 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: PS
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Great, I too am wondering how this will work out. I need to go to work for a bit and when I get home sometime this aftenoon I will try it. Yes I thought, before reading the end, that I would use splenda as that is what I have. Good suggestion to do a bit of oil in it. I will measure so I can put on and for future reffrance if I and you want to make again. And also, I will just try half batch. I am excited to try it!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
You can still buy the old-style waffle irons that make regular, not Belgian, waffles - I got mine on eBay for $10. Amazon has them too - check for "classic" waffle iron. They have a Cuisinart round one for $39 and an Oster traditional square one for $25, and that's just a brief glance I took!

Also if you have thrift shops where you live, check there too - they often have them. Make them plug it in for you and be sure it works before you buy it though!

I have a Zojirushi breadmaker which I love - but I don't do "true" LC breads. What I do is buy whole grains, sprout them, then dehydrate, then grind in my Vitamix to a nice fine flour, and use THAT to make sprouted grains breads (like the former Ezekiel bread I used to buy) - no issues there and it turns out really nice loaves.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

LOVE THESE - Okay, so I did half a recipe - added half tsp. of oil. I have a non stick double iron which had lot`s of oil still on it from last time I made Pizzelles. Accurally I make Krumkagas on it. Anyhoo, it made 11-4" breads. I put one Tablespoon on so would have been lot`s bigger if I had put more than that on. They are more than an eighth in thick. I baked for 30 sec. and they seemed crisp, but after cooling they were like bread. I think for anyone who wants to try these they could just do on a fry pan or such, but I like the look of the waffle. I will be doing these often on my Pizzelle iron as I really do like them and they are so healthy! Thank`s so much for this.
I need to get going but I will figure out the calories, fat, carb, fiber if I get time tonite.

Last edited by susume; 02-13-2013 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: I used one Tablespoon of Splenda in place of honey.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Hope you seen my edit - I used 1 Tbs. of Splenda in place of honey.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sue, I'm so happy they came out well!
11 breads from 1/2c almond flour seems pretty economical.
Do you think you could use them to make sandwiches?
Even grilled cheese sandwiches would make me happy,
if they wouldn't hold up to a really thick cold cuts/tomato/lettuce kind of sandwich.

What brand pizzelle maker do you have?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Hi,ya I had bought a few bags of almond flour at Fleet Farm when they were on sale and it was a very good buy. Even if they weren`t on sale it will be fun to make these. When I was making them I was eating them and was hungary as no breakfast and had just got home from a little cleaning job and so got the peanut butter out and had that on 2 of them. I ate 4 and then put the rest in the icebox. I was thinking of making a grilled cheese with them but was hungary for PB. I think they would be fine for sandwiches if made a bit bigger. Or maybe that size would be fine too. Anyhoo, when I am trying to stay on plan I will make these as I really like them.
My iron is a Vitantonio Pizzelle Chef. I always need to have 2 irons on hand wheather a Pizzelle one or a Krumkaga one. The Krumkaga makes thinner cookies. I make somewhere in the neighbor of 100 dozen at christmas (Krumkaga that is). I do not think I can get a new one of either as for some reason it dosn`t seem like they are making them. I got a used one a year ago on ebay. I paid either $60 or $80 for it. They used to sell for aroung $40. I have been through many as have made lot`s each year sense I was in my 20`s.
Jees, I gotta go make a couple recipes of REAL cookies and a hotdish to bring up north tomorrow after work. That means my low carb diet just went out the window again!
Anyway I am sure glad to have this recipe. Thank`s again. Catch ya later.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I saw lots of pizzelle irons on Amazon, also krumkaga (but they spell it krumkake). I've never made either but they look really good!

I am sort of leaning towards a bread machine because my son wants to eat "healthier" and maybe it would be good if I made breads for him. He got really excited about the idea of making banana bread. At least if I make it for him, I can reduce the sugar, use coconut sugar or something instead, and try to make it with coconut or almond flour. He believes that Paleo or low-carb is the healthiest way to eat (he really liked that movie "Fat Head") but he's a vegetarian for ethical reasons. I really admire his dedication to that. But I could help him eat lower carb if I baked breads. It's so annoying to not have an oven.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
My mom gave me her old waffle iron, it's similar to this one, just not as fancy.

I found a recipe for cashew and coconut flour waffles online, that I tweaked a bit (they were originally for a belgian waffle iron) but they come out just fine in mine.

I LOVE krumkake. I used to love visiting relatives in Norway when I was a child because they would always serve them.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Oh ya, I wasn`t thinking when I spelled Krumkake. I am going to look on Amazon.
Good for your son to keep healthy. He won`t have the problems lot`s of peeps have as they age.
Yes, I would think a bread machine would probably be the way to go. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I might still look for a waffle or pizzelle iron if I can get a cheapish one.

That bread machine has settings for low-carb and gluten-free...I'm not sure how they're different, or if that's just a gimmick, but it's got me really interested!

My son and I have actually been eating raw kale this past week!!!
I never thought I'd like it, much less get him to eat it!!!
I always thought it was too tough to eat raw.
That must be pretty healthy, right?

Yaz, I was looking at that kind of waffle iron; they call it "five of hearts".
About how thick are the waffles?
I would actually love it if they came out kind of thin and could be cooked crisp enough for crackers.

CASHEW and coconut--oh man, that sounds so good! Would you mind posting the recipe here?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/170.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Sue-can you share your recipe for Krumkake? I hope it is lowcarb? do you make this on the pizelle maker-I do have one of those! I have been looking for a good lowcarb pizelle recipe or something good I could use on it! Thanks so much!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #15
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post

Yaz, I was looking at that kind of waffle iron; they call it "five of hearts".
About how thick are the waffles?
I would actually love it if they came out kind of thin and could be cooked crisp enough for crackers.

CASHEW and coconut--oh man, that sounds so good! Would you mind posting the recipe here?
Mine makes thinnish waffles. I can make them thicker or thinner depending on how thick or thin the batter is.

The original recipe is below, I tweaked mine to add pea protein powder and I used SF Maple Grove Pancake Syrup but I think I'll just use swerve from now on. I also subbed some of the eggs for egg whites and added unsweetened almond milk to stretch out the batter and make more waffles (and reduce the calories)

I also soak my cashews for an hour (drain them and then blend into puree)

These are my ingredients:

INGREDIENTS
1 Eggs
106 g Simply Egg Whites
475 g Unsweetened Almond Milk - i actually used a bit more
45 g Maple Grove Sugar Free Syrup
42 g Olivio Coconut Spread
1/5 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tsp Magic Baking Powder
21 g Organic Coconut Flour
60 g Pea Protein Powder
60 g Greek Yogurt 0% Fat
145 g Natural Raw Cashews
15 drops Liquid Stevia
1 tsp Ground Cardamom - optional but that's how my mom always made waffles.
30 g Pea Fibre - I will try it with Oat Fiber next time.

I got 11 waffles out of this and each waffle was: carbs 5.53g / dietary fiber 3.02g, 125 calories, protein 8.4g
__________________________________________________ _________

Here is the original recipe.

Grain Free Waffles; Guest Post From Against All Grain. (Gluten/Dairy/Refined Sugar Free)
by BRITTANY on JUNE 21, 2012

Ingredients

(makes 6 large Belgian waffles, will make more in a smaller iron)

3 eggs
1 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons coconut flour

Preheat your waffle iron.
Combine the eggs, cashews, milk, honey, and melted coconut oil in a blender. A high-speed blender isn’t necessary (I use a simple Waring blender), although it will make the process easier. Blend until very smooth and creamy. You may need to stop the blender and push the mixture down the sides a few times to get it all to blend really well.
Add the salt, baking soda, and coconut flour, then blend again for about a minute until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet.
If you’re iron requires oil, spread a little coconut oil on both sides. Pour the batter into the waffle iron so it just covers the bottom portion of the iron, being careful not to overfill it as these do rise quite a bit and will spill over.
Cook the waffles for about a minute, more or less depending on the heat of your waffle iron. If they release easily with a fork when you open the lid, they are probably done.
Repeat until the batter has been used up.
Eat these immediately for the best flavor and texture, but they will also reheat well in a toaster.

Enjoy!
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
Sue-can you share your recipe for Krumkake? I hope it is lowcarb? do you make this on the pizelle maker-I do have one of those! I have been looking for a good lowcarb pizelle recipe or something good I could use on it! Thanks so much!
I am not home right now, gone for the weekend, but when I get home I will put the recipe on here. It is not low carb. It is the recipe that came with the Krumkake iron. I sometimes make the my Krumkake`s on a Krumkake iron and sometimes I make them on a Pizzelle iron. The Pizzelle iron makes them a bit thicker. I do not have any low carb recipe for them.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Krumkake Cookies
2 Eggs
1 Cup sugar
Half cup butter - softend
1 cup milk
1 and half cups flour
1 tsp. cardoman
Beat eggs well, add sugar,
and butter.
Beat, add flour and
cardoman alternating
with milk. Makes