Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TurtleDove
Best Streudal/Streusal/ETC

I'm trying to make an excellent oaty/brown sugary/crunchy topping to make Peach or Pear crisps...Apple Blossoms, etc.

I don't mind if it's a bit higher in carbs, although I'm looking for as low as possible, definitely very low sugar, as the peaches/pears/apples will be adding sugar/carbs.

Here's what I have for kitchen ingredients, and here's what I'm thinking about buying to make this (note, I have no idea what I'm doing, and the kitchen ingredients I have don't necessarily pertain to this recipe but I'm going to list them just in case because again...I have no idea what I'm doing).

-Rolled Oats
-Steel Cut Oats
-Cinnamon
-Splenda
-Oat Fiber
-Carbquik
-Sensato Granola
-Dixie Diner Granola
-Promise Buttery Spread
-Butter
-Walden Farms/Da Vinci SF Syrups

I'm considering buying LC Foods Brown Sugar replacement: LC Foods Sweet Brown Sweetener

I'm also considering buying either almond flour, or Bob's Low Carb Baking Mix or some other type of non-wheat/high carb flour to make this with.

Any ideas to perfect this would be really appreciated!
TurtleDove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
This is one we really like - you could use this topping for your fruit. I've also made this with chayote squash instead of zucchini, but either one is really good!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post14906438
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I use nut flour or very finely chopped nuts (pecans are my favorite), lots of cinnamon and butter.

Cinnamon on its own is rather sweet, especially if you use Ceylon cinnamon.

I've been using coconut sugar in small amounts lately, and it adds a really nice brown sugar flavor. It doesn't melt very easily, so it stays crunchy and even just a little bit gives you that feeling that you're really eating sugar!

It doesn't seem to raise blood sugar very much for most people. I mix it with erythritol.
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
This recipe dates back to my Carbquick days, but it was a VERY good crumble topping for baked fruit that achieved the desired "crunchiness" for crisps.

Crumble Topping
September 14, 2010

Another one of my oat fiber experiments. This is one of my older recipes, as I don't eat anything with flour anymore (no Carbquick). This recipe came out very nice. I used 4 Gala apples for this recipe. So I baked an apple crisp for him this morning! I made a filling as I usually do: peeled and sliced 4 apples into a bowl and tossed with a few tablespoons of water, a sprinkle of xanthan gum for thickening, 1/4 c. Splenda, and a little cinnamon and nutmeg. Then I poured it into a non-stick pan and dotted with 2T. butter. Next I made the following crumb topping and crumbled exactly HALF the crumble mixture on the crisp. I zipped the other half up in a baggie and will be freezing it to bake another crisp. Will keep up to 1 month in the freezer. I can honestly tell you that the addition of oat fiber totally disguised the CarbQuick taste we all know and dislike to one degree or another. A distinct taste of traditional white flour crust comes through on this!! I think I’m going to enjoy experimenting with oat fiber! This is not Induction friendly due to the apples, CarbQuick and oat fiber. To make this MUCH lower carb, you could grate peeled jicama and substitute for half, or even all the apples in this, but cooking time will increase if you do. This recipe is not suitable for Induction.

INGREDIENTS:

1½ c. CarbQuick baking mix
½ c. (45 g) oat fiber
2 T. cold butter
pinch salt
1/4-1/2 c. water, added slowly
1-2 T. granular erythritol (optional if you want a sweeter topping)
½ tsp. cinnamon (optional)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Into a medium bowl, measure out bake mix, oat fiber and salt. Stir. Using a fork, cut in the cold butter until crumbly and well incorporated into dry ingredients. Slowly add 1/4 c. water and work in with fork. Add more water by tablespoons, stirring after each addition until mixture begins to hold together into pea-sized clumps. When all appears to be mixed well, spoon out half the mixture into a ziploc bag and freeze for future use. Using fingers, crumble the remaining topping onto your fruit crisp filling mixture. Bake at 350º for about 30 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is browned nicely. Serve hot or cold.

NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR TOPPING ONLY: Makes enough for TWO pans full of apple crisps. I find a batch of crisp makes 4 servings (so this topping will accommodate 8 total servings).

Entire recipe for 2 pans full contains: 374 calories, 47g fat, 75.7g carbs, 67.7g fiber, 8 NET CARBS, 24g protein

Half recipe for 1 panful contains: 182 cal, 12.5 g fiber , 38 g carbs , 34 g fiber, 4 NET CARBS, 12 g protein

1 Serving (1/4 panful) contains: 45.5 cal, 3.1 g fiber, 9.5 g carbs, 8.5 g fiber, 1 NET CARB, 3 g protein

FOR THE CURIOUS: 1 Serving with apple filling described above: 219 calories, 18g fat, 39.4 g carbs, 20.3 g fiber, 19.1 g NET CARBS, 6.4 g protein (yes, really high carb, so even you OWL folks might want to pass on the apple version and use jicama, chayote squash or berries in your crisp! LOL)
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote