Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 263/259/145
WOE: JUDDD newbie
Start Date: 8/14/14
pancake syrup?

Just wondering if anyone makes their own lc syrup for lc pancakes? So far my store's brand is the best tasting I've found but would love to know how to make my own. Also, please recommend your favorite store bought syrup
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
I have made pancake syrup from melted butter and DaVinci caramel SF syrup and it's pretty good. Walden Farms pancake syrup is the best store bought I have found.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by muncheechee View Post
Just wondering if anyone makes their own lc syrup for lc pancakes? So far my store's brand is the best tasting I've found but would love to know how to make my own. Also, please recommend your favorite store bought syrup
I like the Maple Grove syrup. Here's a recipe for home made, sorry I don't know who to give credit to.

Maple Syrup Low Carb

1 ½ c. water
1 c. Splenda
2 tsp. maple extract
½ tsp. vanilla extract
3-4 tb. butter (optional)
1/8th tsp. salt
¾ tsp. guar gum
Microwave water in a 2 cup microwave safe bowl
Place in blender
Add everything else and whirlu until smooth. Place container into
refrigerator. Heat before using.

Makes 1 ½ c. syrup with
1 gram carb per tablespoon
17 calories per tablespoon with butter
Without butter the calories are
Almost –0- .03 per tablespoon

HTH
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
if you used real maple syrup when you ate carbs, none of the fake ones are a substitute at all, really. unfortunately. they are less like real maple syrup than that fake xylitol "honey" is like real honey, to me.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I think Joseph's is the best, but it does have Maltitol in it.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
IHOP markets the sugar free pancake syrup they use in their restaurants. You can get it at Walmart (at least you can here in Kansas City, MO). I think it is very good. I am trying to get away from Splenda (sucralose) sweetened products and use stevia and erythritol instead. I'll probably try the above posted recipe substituting those and report back.

Thanks for starting the thread! Caren
CarenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
if you used real maple syrup when you ate carbs, none of the fake ones are a substitute at all, really. unfortunately. they are less like real maple syrup than that fake xylitol "honey" is like real honey, to me.
Just because the cheap maple-flavored pancake syrups on the market don't taste the same as real maple syrup, that doesn't mean that they taste bad. They're just different. I've always preferred the flavor of the fake stuff and that's since way before low carb.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Walden Farms!!! Aunt Jemima is good for a few more carbs and calories.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
To me, the Walden Farms syrup is the best product they carry.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone... I've got the ihop syrup but don't care for it's tangy taste and thin consistency.

Slbbw, thanks for the recipe! I'll try it out soon.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I didn't care for the Ihop brand either, I thought it had a tanginess too. I haven't found one that I really like yet and I've tried quite a few.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I really like Joseph's. It has malitol but its so thick that a lot goes a long way for me. I order it from Netrition but I've also found it at Whole Foods. I don't like any of the other store bought sugar free syrups. Joseph's beats them all in my opinion if you don't have a problem with malitol.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I just melt some butter to a slightly thinner than room temp. and add a drop of maple flavor in it. Tastes much better than any of the syrups to me.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
My favorite is Joseph's - it's thick and delicious. I can use about 3 tablespoons of it without a problem - but more than that and the maltitol kicks in!

I also, much to my surprise, like the Waldens Farms - I've never liked ANY of their other products so why I even BOUGHT it I don't know - but i'm glad I did.

So what I've been doing, since I have a stash of the Joseph's, is mix that half & half with the Waldens Farms - makes a good pancake syrup and helps keep me from the evils of pure maltitol-based syrups.

And I agree - no NONE of the "pancake syrups" whether SF/LC or regular, taste like REAL maple syrup. But like LindaSue - I really do like the flavors of some of the pancake syrups over real maple syrup. Everyone's tastes are different and because ONE person doesn't feel like something is identical to the real thing, does not make it a BAD product. Just a different taste.

As for the fake honey - the xylitol one was not to my liking - it was gloopy and uneven in its viscosity. The maltitol one though is VERY honey-like in taste, appearance, and viscosity - but again, beware the maltitol. As an ingredient in recipes though, I love the stuff.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I can use about 3 tablespoons of it without a problem - but more than that and the maltitol kicks in!
LOL!!! An old friend whose DH was recently diagnosed as Diabetic found some sugar free peanut butter cups at Walmart and got them for him. I told her to caution him not to eat more than one or two at a time because of the laxative effect they can have. He ate the whole bag in one sitting. They didn't leave the house for several days.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
Gadget Gal

Oh yikes, Gwen! Poor guy. Bet he doesn't make THAT mistake again any time soon!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
My grocery store carries one called "Spring Tree", and it's pretty good. Just as thick as other "pancake syrups". Sometimes I add a little vanilla to the bottle for some extra flavor. I also use it in recipes (like muffins, chocolate cups, fat bombs, etc) that call for Splenda or DaVinci syrup.

I bought some maple flavoring with the intention of making my own syrup, but haven't gotten around to it.
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
LOL!!! An old friend whose DH was recently diagnosed as Diabetic found some sugar free peanut butter cups at Walmart and got them for him. I told her to caution him not to eat more than one or two at a time because of the laxative effect they can have. He ate the whole bag in one sitting. They didn't leave the house for several days.
In the beginning of my Atkins woe (4 months ago) I quenched my sweet tooth with Russel Stover sugar free candies, which btw, are to die for. My fav: butter toffee. Recently, I decided to do an n=1 experiment to see whether these lovely treats had an impact on my blood glucose level, since they claimed to be safe for diabetics. I found out that for me, I might as well be eating a real snickers bar. My blood sugar shot to the stratisphere after eating two. I was ANGRY! Just like Jimmy Moore when he tested Dreamfields pasta and found out he might as well just eaten the real thing.

Anyway, I've since learned that it is the malitol. Not everyone is sensitive like me, but I learned that I can never just assume that a particular food is safe for me. We are all very different. Fearfully and wonderfully made.

I'm excited to try the Walden Farms syrup. If Charski gives the thumbs up, I know I'll probably love it. So far all her favs have hit the spot in our household. I.e., Chicken Lady's cornbread, Char's killer quiche, Nancyelle's thin & crispy pizza crust, an on and on and on. I wish this board would start a sticky for "char's favorites". I'd so subscribe to that!!!

Thank you all for doing all the R & D on these recipes to make the sugar free lifestyle doable and sustainable long term. I mean it when I say I LOVE YOU!!! : heart:
Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I just melt some butter to a slightly thinner than room temp. and add a drop of maple flavor in it. Tastes much better than any of the syrups to me.
That's a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Oh I did that once... in a movie theater. By the end of he movie my tummy was rumbling BAD. Almost didn't make it to a bathroom in time. It was awful!

Really appreciate all the input. Dh brought home imitation maple extract and it has sugar in it. Is there such a thing as sf maple extract?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Haha, Caren! Yes, Char is a fabulous cook. There are quite a few on this board actually.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #21
Gadget Gal

Awww, you guys!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Thanks everyone... I've got the ihop syrup but don't care for it's tangy taste and thin consistency.

Slbbw, thanks for the recipe! I'll try it out soon.
If you like thick and mild I would also recommend Walden Farms. My son prefere Smuckers sugar-free but it's much thinner.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Haha, Caren! Yes, Char is a fabulous cook. There are quite a few on this board actually.
And your first cookbook (LCAF Vol.1) is the sole reason I have been able to convert to this woe lifestyle change. The banana bread recipe became our staple breakfast food for our non egg days (as much as we love bacon & eggs you just can't eat them every day). From that cookbook I discovered this forum and the cuisine at our home improved exponentially. We are never going back to SAD. This is the first time in our lives we can eat cake, muffins, fudge, pizza, and not gain weight. Its like a MIRACLE.

So thank you too Jennifer from the bottom of our hearts.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
Gadget Gal

You're so right, Caren - without this wonderful community of sharing hearts and minds - this WOE would be SO much more difficult.

The countless hours that Jen devotes to LC and gluten-free cooking is a miracle in itself, the cookbooks add TO that miracle, and that she so selflessly shares of her vast knowledge and recipes here - well that's just the icing on the LC Cake!

EVERYONE should have her cookbooks, ALL of them! Each one is very special to me.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Quote:
You're so right, Caren - without this wonderful community of sharing hearts and minds - this WOE would be SO much more difficult.

The countless hours that Jen devotes to LC and gluten-free cooking is a miracle in itself, the cookbooks add TO that miracle, and that she so selflessly shares of her vast knowledge and recipes here - well that's just the icing on the LC Cake!

EVERYONE should have her cookbooks, ALL of them! Each one is very special to me.
Ditto Char's comments.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh yikes, Gwen! Poor guy. Bet he doesn't make THAT mistake again any time soon!
Yeah, he's one of those people who needs to learn things the hard way. This is one lesson that he won't soon forget.

Quote:
That's a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing.

Oh I did that once... in a movie theater. By the end of he movie my tummy was rumbling BAD. Almost didn't make it to a bathroom in time. It was awful!

Really appreciate all the input. Dh brought home imitation maple extract and it has sugar in it. Is there such a thing as sf maple extract?
Your welcome, I tried the different syrups but I have a problem with the slimy mouth feel of the gums they use to make the syrup thick. They just make my skin crawl.

Yeah we all go through that at first.

Quote:

You are so right!!!!