Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Saving Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/796811-saving-recipes.html)

MSS726 02-10-2013 09:53 AM

Saving Recipes
 
How do you all save your recipes? I am collecting a multitude of them on my computer in folders, and in my favorites bar. It is still taking quite a while to find them. Is there an easier way? Maybe a flash drive?

PaminKY 02-10-2013 10:06 AM

I cut and paste them into a word document plus I pull any tips that other posters have tried that I feel I would like. After the document gets to be quite a few pages I print them out and have a file box in my kitchen that I file them in and when I get ready to try something I just pull it out of the folder, granted I do have to thumb through a bunch sometimes.

The recipes I use a lot I keep in a binder on a small shelf on my kitchen counter. They are the ones that are stained and covered with my notes but they are ones I use the most. I also have a notebook that I write down my own experiments and when I finally get them the way I like them I type them into a recipe software on the computer called Accu-chef and then print it out and put in the binder.

Chocolate Rose 02-10-2013 10:28 AM

I use MasterCook. I have a BIG cookbook within MC that I save all the lc recipes I think I may want to try at some point. And, I have separate cookbooks within MC that I copy recipes into for various lc blog recipes. I want to be sure to give the recipe author credit for their recipes, so this works well for me. I also have another cookbook within MC that I copy and past all the recipes that I have actually tried into. I just call it "Low Carb T&T". That way, I can easily find a recipe that I want to make again.

emel 02-10-2013 10:55 AM

Similar to Pam's way.

I have a word document for recipes I want to try.
After I try them, if I like them, I cut and paste them to another word document of saved recipes, along with notes about tweaks and nutrition info.

If I don't like them after I try them, I cut them from the "to try" folder, or keep them there with a note to try them again with a few more tweaks.

ravenrose 02-10-2013 11:44 AM

Evernote. it's THE way to store everything you want to be able to access online. Brilliant and free.

EasyPeas 02-10-2013 01:56 PM

I also use Evernote, not just for recipes, but to store everything. Evernote synchronizes among my laptop, Ipad, and Iphone, so I can find anything anywhere. It has a great search function that enables me to find recipes or anything else very quickly. There's also a small app called "Evernote Web Clipper" that installs onto my browser tool bar; whenever I find a something online that I want to keep such as a recipe, I click on that, and it saves that web page right into my Evernote. I can also scan documents (e.g., receipts, business cards, recipes, etc.) directly into Evernote. You can email items from Evernote, which comes in handy. My DIL wanted a couple of my recipes, and I simply emailed her the recipe from within Evernote. I really like Evernote; but the main thing is that you find what works for you :)

sligh 02-10-2013 03:21 PM

Just downloaded Evernote and can't wait to start using it! Thanks for the tip.

gharkness 02-10-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16251348)
Evernote. it's THE way to store everything you want to be able to access online. Brilliant and free.

Bah, you beat me to it :-)

Evernote's the bomb!

Ocean 02-10-2013 04:27 PM

I print them out directly from the site if the site is printer friendly. If the site isn't printer friendly, I copy and paste it to a word document first and then print it out. I then put the printed recipes in page protectors and put them in my recipe binder. This way, I can follow the recipes in the kitchen when I am cooking and since the pages are in page protectors, they just wipe clean if I make a mess.

kalatraza 02-10-2013 05:24 PM

3rding Evernote! I asked for and received the pro upgrade for xmas, and now I can access my recipe collection on my iphone and my kindle. . . in the grocery store. Love that. But the free version is fantastic and I've been using that version for years. :)

dianafoot 02-10-2013 05:33 PM

guess this is a little old-fashioned, but I copy and paste them into a word document along with the url where I found it, and any tips and tweaks others have suggested. I add my own notes to the bottom of the recipe, and most of the time, I format and rewrite the recipe to make it easy for me to follow.

No longer do I print out the recipes, though, just use them on my laptop right on the kitchen counter--much easier than printing and trying to use as paper copies!

I have lots of folders and sub-folders (e.g., desserts>cakes>pudding cakes, layer cakes, mini cakes, etc.) so that I can find things easily and quickly. I also star * recipes in each category that I have tried and really liked, so I can go right to the particular recipe that I like best, rather than have to look at all things labeled "biscuit", for example, to remember which one I liked.

I back it all up on a flash drive and on a spare hard drive. Need to get up to speed using the cloud, now, for storing and backing up things!

sligh 02-11-2013 07:12 AM

Being able to access a recipe while in the grocery store would be awesome. Love learning about things like this.

kalatraza 02-11-2013 03:35 PM

I have to say being able to access recipes in the grocery store does add time to my shopping -- but saves money. (Since I've been laid off, though, that works out okay for me.) What I do these days is head immediately to meats/poultry and see what's really marked down and then plan meals from there. Of course a lot of what I make is the tried and true stuff that I know what to buy for--but it's fun to try new things and just have to search for "chicken breasts" on the evernote app on my phone.

I would NOT recommend this method of shopping and meal planning with a spouse nor on a day when the store is crowded. No, no, definitely not. Trust me on this one.

There are other ways to get your recipe collection available on your phone in addition to evernote. If you are a word document user, you could get a free account on dropbox or box, put the app on your home pc and your phone, and save your recipe file there. . . then it's always accessible to you. Search might be slow this way depending on how fast your internet connection is, but, it would work!

Charski 02-11-2013 03:54 PM

I copy and paste into a Notepad document and save as a .txt file, then just transfer them to my Kindle. I have folders set up on the Kindle for various recipes.

I usually have the Kindle with me, so can access it when shopping, and when I want to use a recipe, I just take the Kindle to the kitchen, set the font size up so it's easily read, and put the Kindle into my upright holder (which is actually a freestanding plate holder, bought at the craft store for under $5) and off I go!

Yaz 02-11-2013 04:30 PM

I've been using Pinterest, but I think I'll copy and paste each individual recipe onto word documents in case the blog entries ever get deleted.

Angeloco 02-11-2013 07:52 PM

Love Evernote. It's great. As someone else said, I can acces my recipes in the grocery store on my iPad or iPhone. Hardly ever print anything out anymore. Plus, my sister wanted to start low carbing and wanted some of my recipes. Easy peasy gave Evernote her email address and she can now access all of my 300 plus recipes. That was so much easier than printing them out.

kalatraza 02-11-2013 09:13 PM

Charski, I love the plate holder idea! All of the kindle stands seem so expensive. . . never even thought of looking for something that isn't made specifically for that purpose. I'll have to clip one of those 40% off coupons and head to the craft store this weekend and see what'll work. Thank you! (I've been doing the crane my neck over the flat-on-the-counter-because-it-slipped-off-the-towel-I-had-it-propped-up-on-AGAIN method.)

lazy girl 02-11-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gharkness (Post 16251776)
Bah, you beat me to it :-)

Evernote's the bomb!

ditto!

MSS726 02-11-2013 09:18 PM

Thanks, everyone. Wow, lots of great tips! I went with Evernote, since I can use with with my phone. Now, if I can just figure out how to use it.

tyler43836 02-11-2013 09:20 PM

Just downloaded evernote. AWESOME! Thanks for the tip!

alonewithyou 02-12-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16251348)
Evernote. it's THE way to store everything you want to be able to access online. Brilliant and free.

What she said :)

Plus, I printed them all out for easier access in the kitchen. I also have Evernote on my iphone, it's brilliant :)

gharkness 02-12-2013 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalatraza (Post 16253490)
I would NOT recommend this method of shopping and meal planning with a spouse nor on a day when the store is crowded. No, no, definitely not. Trust me on this one.

Haha! That's funny. Hubby and I both have Evernote, and he likes to feel useful - AND he likes food as much as I do, so keeping him away from the grocery store ain't happening (he wants to be sure he gets his 2-cents worth in). Soooo, I let him do all the searching and finding of recipes, and other computer stuff while we are in the store. Makes him feel useful and keeps him outta my hair! :hyst: He is the Keeper of the List.

Shimmer 02-13-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 16251827)
I copy and paste it to a word document first and then print it out. I then put the printed recipes in page protectors and put them in my recipe binder. This way, I can follow the recipes in the kitchen when I am cooking and since the pages are in page protectors, they just wipe clean if I make a mess.


My printed pages aren't in page protectors--the ones with lots of drips and stains are the ones I know we like the best!!:laugh:

Charski 02-13-2013 09:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalatraza (Post 16254081)
Charski, I love the plate holder idea! All of the kindle stands seem so expensive. . . never even thought of looking for something that isn't made specifically for that purpose. I'll have to clip one of those 40% off coupons and head to the craft store this weekend and see what'll work. Thank you! (I've been doing the crane my neck over the flat-on-the-counter-because-it-slipped-off-the-towel-I-had-it-propped-up-on-AGAIN method.)

The first one is the one I like best - the second one was available too but it's not quite as steady as the first type. Also browse Amazon for "plate stand" and they have a few different ones there as well. They're all pretty inexpensive! :)

kalatraza 02-13-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16257102)
The first one is the one I like best - the second one was available too but it's not quite as steady as the first type. Also browse Amazon for "plate stand" and they have a few different ones there as well. They're all pretty inexpensive! :)

Ah, thank you! You probably saved, oh, 35 Joann's shoppers from giving me odd looks in the store this weekend as my kindle tried on different plate holders. Their loss, obviously. :)

kalatraza 02-13-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gharkness (Post 16254219)
Haha! That's funny. Hubby and I both have Evernote, and he likes to feel useful - AND he likes food as much as I do, so keeping him away from the grocery store ain't happening (he wants to be sure he gets his 2-cents worth in). Soooo, I let him do all the searching and finding of recipes, and other computer stuff while we are in the store. Makes him feel useful and keeps him outta my hair! :hyst: He is the Keeper of the List.

I wonder if it's too late for me to retrain my hubby? Okay, not sure I want to because I get to do most of the cooking and he does most of the clean-up. Not sure how that happened but I have no complaints. :)

Keeper of the List is brilliant. If I had kids/spouse that wanted to participate more/too much, I'd be all over it.

gharkness 02-14-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalatraza (Post 16257628)
and he does most of the clean-up.

I have come to the conclusion that men are good for only one thing. Either they keep the list or they clean up.....definitely not both. At least my hubby thinks cleaning up is for....someone else. He doesn't care who, as long as he is far away when that process is happening.:hyst:

kalatraza 02-14-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gharkness (Post 16258446)
I have come to the conclusion that men are good for only one thing. Either they keep the list or they clean up.....definitely not both. At least my hubby thinks cleaning up is for....someone else. He doesn't care who, as long as he is far away when that process is happening.:hyst:

Hadn't thought about it that way, but I think you're absolutely right. Well, there's that third category of folks that don't do either one. (My dad can't even operate the toaster . . . seriously.)

:D Don't take this the wrong way, but I really hope that your husband and my husband never get together and discuss this particular issue. Because I would not like my husband to get the idea that the cleaning up is someone else's problem. (And, after 13 years, he has gotten so darn good at it. He can clean that darn kitchen faster and better than I can! It's actually kind of embarrassing.)

sligh 02-17-2013 10:24 AM

Finally have most of my recipes loaded into Evernote and I am thrilled and amazed. Can't wait to think of a recipe while in the grocery and not have to return to the store for an ingredient I forgot. Thanks to all who mentioned using this. It's simple and brilliant.

Yaz 02-17-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sligh (Post 16263902)
Finally have most of my recipes loaded into Evernote and I am thrilled and amazed. Can't wait to think of a recipe while in the grocery and not have to return to the store for an ingredient I forgot. Thanks to all who mentioned using this. It's simple and brilliant.

Since you've finished yours would you like to add all of mine for me! :))


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 AM.