Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   How do i make thick Mayonnaise? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/796797-how-do-i-make-thick-mayonnaise.html)

Sting 02-10-2013 04:49 AM

How do i make thick Mayonnaise?
 
Tried making mayonnaise a few times now each time it ends up watery like no thickness at all 3 egg yolks in a blender mix 20-30 seconds add Olive oil in "very slowly" even when i just added tspn at a time still no thickness.

Tried whole egg not just egg yolk add oil again slowly same thing watery no thickness just wondering what am i doing wrong?

Dottie 02-10-2013 04:54 AM

You need acid (vinegar or lemon juice) and a little salt as well.

Dottie 02-10-2013 05:01 AM

Also, don't blend the yolk so long. You can actually start to cook it by the heat of the blender that way. A few seconds is all it takes.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ayonnaise.html

Sting 02-10-2013 05:38 AM

OK i didn't add vinegar nor salt i just blended the egg yolks and than added the oil would the vinegar and salt have made that much of a difference?

The blender does heat up as you said very quickly Dottie maybe I'm using the wrong blender blades or should it not make a difference?

Sting 02-10-2013 05:40 AM

I just followed this he seemed to get the mayo thick without adding the salt and vinegar at the start hmmm


Dottie 02-10-2013 07:09 AM

Absolutely, the acid helps the chemical reaction to emulsify the mayo and keep it stable. For 1 cup of oil, add about 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice.
The blades get hot pretty fast, so really just 5 seconds is all it takes.
I also forgot: add a squirt of mustard, maybe 1/2-1 teaspoon. That also helps the chemical reaction. Dijon is fine, so is dry mustard powder(but only about 1/4 teaspoon), but anything with horseradish in it tends to make it break in my experience.
If you want it spicy, add horseradish or siracha sauce once it's thick:)

Sting 02-10-2013 05:43 PM

OK thanks Dottie

GME 02-10-2013 06:02 PM

Every time I see a mayo thread I have to put in my pitch for a stick blender.

Everything in the cylindrical container, blender on the b and slowly pull up. That is it. Presto blended in about 20 seconds and no dribbling.

lazy girl 02-11-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GME (Post 16252032)
Every time I see a mayo thread I have to put in my pitch for a stick blender.

Everything in the cylindrical container, blender on the b and slowly pull up. That is it. Presto blended in about 20 seconds and no dribbling.

Yesterday, I made mayo with bacon grease, lemon juice and the yolk. The consistency was perfect, but I just used my whisk. Next time, I'm tryin ghe submersible blender. Thanks for the idea.

Charski 02-11-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy girl (Post 16253682)
Yesterday, I made mayo with bacon grease, lemon juice and the yolk. The consistency was perfect, but I just used my whisk. Next time, I'm tryin ghe submersible blender. Thanks for the idea.

See if you can find some rice bran oil. It's pretty much flavorless so doesn't add any unwanted flavors to the mayo.

Walnut oil might be a bit strong and I didn't have great success with coconut oil because it hardens at refrig temps and I didn't care for the texture of the mayo that way - but experimenting is part of the fun til you find what you like! :)

lazy girl 02-11-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16253698)
See if you can find some rice bran oil. It's pretty much flavorless so doesn't add any unwanted flavors to the mayo.

Walnut oil might be a bit strong and I didn't have great success with coconut oil because it hardens at refrig temps and I didn't care for the texture of the mayo that way - but experimenting is part of the fun til you find what you like! :)

I will certainly look for the rice bran oil. Thanks for the tip!

tobelowcarber 02-11-2013 11:59 PM

Another important thing is- all ingredients have to be at room temp for the mayo to thicken.

Mimosa23 02-12-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 16254180)
Another important thing is- all ingredients have to be at room temp for the mayo to thicken.

When I use my stick blender to make mayo it's of no consequence what temperature the ingredients are. I use eggs and mustard straight from the fridge, and oil at room temp. Works anyway.

tobelowcarber 02-12-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16254454)
When I use my stick blender to make mayo it's of no consequence what temperature the ingredients are. I use eggs and mustard straight from the fridge, and oil at room temp. Works anyway.

Interesting, last time I used cold ingredients and the mayo did not come out. I also used stick blender.

lazy girl 02-12-2013 12:16 PM

When you say stick blender, are you using the whisk attachment?

tobelowcarber 02-12-2013 12:20 PM

I am talking about immersion blender.

Mimosa23 02-12-2013 11:37 PM

Me too, the one with the blade attachment, not the whisk...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:43 AM.