Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Fresh baked bread flavored extract

Has anyone tried this in any bread mixes...sounds interesting...I love the healthified sub bread but I wonder if this would give it more flavor?

I would like to get that dough flavor in my bread. If you have an extract or method you use could you share it with me?
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
sounds yum to me! i've never tried anything from this company and was wondering how their products were. they're a bit pricey, but would be worth it if they are quality.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Well I emailed them so If I hear back I will post info...If any one has used anything similar please let me know.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Has anyone tried this in any bread mixes...sounds interesting...I love the healthified sub bread but I wonder if this would give it more flavor?

I would like to get that dough flavor in my bread. If you have an extract or method you use could you share it with me?
Yes, I have it. Waste of money. Doesn't smell ANYthing like bread....none of that gorgeous yeast odor we want to smell.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much for getting back to me...you saved me a good amount of money...now just need to find a way to get some flavor into my bread...any ideas?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
Thanks so much for getting back to me...you saved me a good amount of money...now just need to find a way to get some flavor into my bread...any ideas?
Wish I did have some ideas! I miss that yeasty flavor too! Yes, that extract was way too expensive to have been such a dud. (Glad I could help!)
Old 02-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen has a couple of recipes for bread and she uses nutritional yeast flakes (NOT brewer's yeast). Whole Foods has it in the bulk bin area if you want to try just a little bit at first.

Last edited by watcher513; 02-10-2013 at 03:41 AM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
In one of the low-carb cookbooks I have it says that if you miss the yeasty flavor to add a packet of instant or active yeast (2 1/4 tsps) to a recipe. It says to dissolve it in 2 tbs warm water (95 degress) and add the mixture to the wet ingredients.

It won't cause the mix to rise but will add flavor.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, I have it and it's AWFUL. in case you couldn't read that because it was too small, it's AWFUL.

doesn't smell or taste anything like bread in any form, nor yeast, and isn't even pleasant.

I don't really like any of the flavors I got from this company. If you are looking at the same one I was, i got NF tomato, corn, pannetone, and raisin in addition to fresh baked bread. none really do the trick, though corn is the best of the lot.

Last edited by ravenrose; 02-10-2013 at 11:53 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Haha ...I get t he message and thanks for the warning...maybe I will try the above suggestion about adding real yeast dissolved for flavor...The healthified sub bread recipe is as close to bread as I think I am going to get...I just need to tweak the flavor a bit...it's a lil salty tasting, so this loaf I added no salt...will see what it tastes like and if it affected the chemistry of the bread...looks good so far, but it is still cooling.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I have tried the real yeast trick and it didn't do much for me, but it won't hurt....your results may be better than mine (at least it isn't expensive like that crap ravenrose and I bought).

Now, here's a suggestion: yeast is just a bunch of little bitty dried plants. They come to life when you rehydrate **and feed** them and you know what they eat - sugar. So if you go to the trouble of adding yeast to your recipe, you need to add a little bit of sugar, plus give the recipe a bit of waiting time in a warm but not too hot environment, to give it time to grow. I guarantee you that if you don't take that step, you'll never know you even added yeast to your "bread."

In other words, treat it like you would a real bread recipe, but maybe not for as long, and that might encourage your yeast to act and smell "real."
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
I have tried the real yeast trick and it didn't do much for me, but it won't hurt....your results may be better than mine (at least it isn't expensive like that crap ravenrose and I bought).

Now, here's a suggestion: yeast is just a bunch of little bitty dried plants. They come to life when you rehydrate **and feed** them and you know what they eat - sugar. So if you go to the trouble of adding yeast to your recipe, you need to add a little bit of sugar, plus give the recipe a bit of waiting time in a warm but not too hot environment, to give it time to grow. I guarantee you that if you don't take that step, you'll never know you even added yeast to your "bread."

In other words, treat it like you would a real bread recipe, but maybe not for as long, and that might encourage your yeast to act and smell "real."
I believe that's exactly right! At any rate, this is the way "raised" waffles are made. The yeast has nothing to do with the final rise for the waffles (which comes from baking powder or soda, just as it does with any other waffle); the yeast rise that occurs in the middle of that recipe--only to be beaten back down again just before adding the baking powder and cooking--is just for flavor.

Last edited by CreekWatcher; 02-12-2013 at 09:09 PM..
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I used some yeast in a pizza dough recipe that I made using ouizoids flour mix and I could taste the yeast. I put the yeast in warm water and let it sit for 10 minutes until it was all bubbly and creamy and then stirred in the flour and other ingredients. I did use a tsp of sugar in with the yeast and water, which doesn't really add many carbs to a large pizza. I let the dough rest for about 5 minutes then rolled it out. The recipe I used was for a quick and easy pizza crust that I low carbed.

I haven't tried it in the healthified bread yet though.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Ginny's Low Carb Kitchen has a couple of recipes for bread and she uses nutritional yeast flakes (NOT brewer's yeast). Whole Foods has it in the bulk bin area if you want to try just a little bit at first.
Ha! I came in here to make that exact suggestion!

Last night I made veggie burgers for my son, and I always put lots of nutritional yeast in my mix (along with sunflower seeds, parsley, zucchini, onions, & TVP). My house smelled *so* much like baking bread that I spent hours shopping online for a bread machine!!!!

(My kitchen doesn't have an oven, and I recently stopped eating wheat, so I'm dying to make my own breads!)

It's good stuff & very nutritious! B-vitamins, protein, low-carb.
Kinda has a cheesy-buttery flavor.
We put it on popcorn & salads, in soups & smoothies.

A couple days ago, my kitty got a hold of the empty canister:
(it's similar to brewer's yeast, which my cats also love)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yeastie.jpg (15.4 KB, 5 views)
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote