Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   A Chocoholic's Crisis, Part II (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/796756-chocoholics-crisis-part-ii.html)

Seeking 02-09-2013 10:02 AM

A Chocoholic's Crisis, Part II
 
I know, I know, I'm just full of crises. Well, I'm at a point now where I want to replace my beloved Ghirardelli 60% and 72% dark chocolate bars with completely sugar-free low-carb chocolate that still tastes decadent, as my beloved Ghirardelli bars are too high-carb for me and will knock me out of ketosis. I don't want to compromise at all on the taste or texture; yes, I want it all. Because I'm greedy. I admit it. I want a delicious chocolate that will not raise my insulin levels or knock me out of ketosis or send me to the bathroom.

I've been looking up sugar-free chocolate and it's all made with malitol and I don't want that. Looking for something with stevia and/or the E. I did find a 98% stevia-sweetened chocolate on amazon but we'll see; I might try it, but it's expensive.

Why should we chocolate lovers be forced to choose between cane sugar and harmful sugar substitutes? It's time to invent new recipes; it's time to come up with something that is completely healthy, made with all-natural ingredients that will not harm our bodies or send us to the bathroom! It's time we had it all! Chocolate lovers unite! :clap:

lisamt 02-09-2013 10:39 AM

I don't think I can link to the site, but if you do a Google search for "chocolate covered katie" it should take you to her blog. She has a recipe for 3 ingredient chocolate bars under the category "chocolates and candy" that can be made sugar free. It's just cocoa powder, coconut oil, and stevia. I use liquid sucralose with the stevia because it tastes better to me. I also cut down the cocoa powder to 1/4 cup to make it higher fat and lower in carbs.

Seeking 02-09-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisamt (Post 16249810)
I don't think I can link to the site, but if you do a Google search for "chocolate covered katie" it should take you to her blog. She has a recipe for 3 ingredient chocolate bars under the category "chocolates and candy" that can be made sugar free. It's just cocoa powder, coconut oil, and stevia. I use liquid sucralose with the stevia because it tastes better to me. I also cut down the cocoa powder to 1/4 cup to make it higher fat and lower in carbs.

Oh my gosh I was on her site when I read your post! I think I'm going to try her recipe! I'm so excited!!! And there are chocolate molds you can buy on amazon and such too! :D

lterry913 02-09-2013 11:30 AM

Why not just melt an unsweetened chocolate bar and add powdered erythritol and liquid splenda ...or you could even use the liquid splenda and liquid erythritol they sell at walmart, then let it cool in cups or a form...I would think you would get more control of sweetness and good quality chocolate this way.

rosethorns 02-09-2013 11:56 AM

Seeking you can also get 100% Ghirardelli bar melt add sweetners and pour into mold. I make this a lot.

I love Ghirardelli chocolate.

Great website Thanks.

CarolynF 02-09-2013 12:07 PM

Here is your answer..Use the sweetener of your choice and 100 percent Chocolate.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...andy-nuts.html

Soobee 02-09-2013 12:27 PM

Warning-sucralose does not sweeten chocolate well.

lterry913 02-09-2013 01:51 PM

Sucralose and erythritol work well to sweeten chocolate...I would use the liquid versions or be sure to powder your eryhtritol as it can recrystalize when cooling sometimes...it makes things crunchy if not careful.

sbwertz 02-09-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16250102)
Sucralose and erythritol work well to sweeten chocolate...I would use the liquid versions or be sure to powder your eryhtritol as it can recrystalize when cooling sometimes...it makes things crunchy if not careful.

If you add liquid to melted chocolate it will curdle.

AmelieWannabe 02-09-2013 05:30 PM

I am eating three ingredient chocolate candy right now as I type, although mine is actually 5 ingredients. I mix 1/3 cup melted coconut oil with about 1/8 cup of Hershey's cocoa, 8 drops of liquid Splenda and a drop of vanilla. Using a heart-shaped candy mold sheet I bought at Michael's for 99 cents, I drop one almond into each heart and then pour in about a teaspoon of the coconut oil/cocoa/Splenda/vanilla mix, put in the freezer to harden for about 10 minutes and, voila, chocolate candy! The candies look really cute and they taste sooooo good.

lterry913 02-09-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbwertz (Post 16250253)
If you add liquid to melted chocolate it will curdle.

I have never had this problem...I make genache , fudge , peanut butter cups by melting chocolate and adding sweetener and never have I had it curdle...I wonder if we are talking about the same thing.

Yaz 02-09-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16250471)
I have never had this problem...I make genache , fudge , peanut butter cups by melting chocolate and adding sweetener and never have I had it curdle...I wonder if we are talking about the same thing.

I've had chocolate (coconut oil & cocoa) curdle and separate when I've added splenda or SF syrup sweetened with splenda to it. It doesn't happen when I use stevia or other sweeteners.

rosethorns 02-09-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 16249992)
Here is your answer..Use the sweetener of your choice and 100 percent Chocolate.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...andy-nuts.html

My sister loves this candy but when I gave her the recipe I added Xylitol to it because thats what I sent her and liquid sucralose.

Mistizoom 02-09-2013 06:37 PM

I bought 5 bars of 100% dark Vintage Plantations chocolate. Very, very, rich but not bitter at all. I can eat 1 or 2 squares plain at a time. It is made in Ecuador, handcrafted, gluten free, made of pure cocoa mass. Expensive, but worth it to me. They also have a 90% dark. I bought it online from The Natural Health Advocates.

Very easy to find in stores is Lindt 85% and 90%. Both are very good. They also have a 99% bar but I've never seen it in stores.

ouizoid 02-09-2013 06:43 PM

I buy the 99% cacao bars from World Market and simply love them. one or two squares hit the spot. Here is a really neat video for making a chocolate mousse from only chocolate and water:

Ooops--deleted the video because I realized that the NYT site has stuff for sale. It really is a cool video: google NYT chocolate mousse video--

Mistizoom 02-09-2013 07:06 PM

Also, if you like Ghiradelli they do have an 86% bar and, as I think someone else pointed out, a 100% bar as well.

alonewithyou 02-10-2013 02:00 AM

I find that liquid splenda worked well with sweetening chocolate. I would melt a 100% cocoa bar, add some HWC and some CO, plus sweetener. It will probably be great. I love melting a 70-80% bar and adding CO to it. It melts on your tongue and ups the fat. CO is very good for you.

lterry913 02-10-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 16250495)
I buy the 99% cacao bars from World Market and simply love them. one or two squares hit the spot. Here is a really neat video for making a chocolate mousse from only chocolate and water:

Ooops--deleted the video because I realized that the NYT site has stuff for sale. It really is a cool video: google NYT chocolate mousse video--

I am so gonna try this but I would prefer to sweeten on my own instead of buying semi sweet...I wonder how this will turn out...when I get around to making it I will report back.

Seeking 02-10-2013 04:41 PM

Oh my gosh guys, such really good suggestions here. I think my chocoholic crisis is now resolved. Thanks guys; gonna try at least 3 suggestions here. :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 AM.