Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Green Chilie Chicken Soup (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/796683-green-chilie-chicken-soup.html)

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 02-08-2013 10:08 AM

Green Chilie Chicken Soup

This recipe came fron The Mexican Connection. Yum

Recipe on cold days or when you catch a cold.

Creamy Green Chile Chicken Soup

1 Tbs. canola oil
1/2 large onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 c. chicken stock
1 1/2 c. chicken, cooked and shredded
1 c. roasted green chile, diced
1 Tbs. flour
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 c. half and half
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4. tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about a minute, until fragrant. Add chicken stock, raise heat and bring to a boil.

When stock is boiling, remove 1/2 c. of broth and let it cool. To the boiling broth, add shredded chicken and green chile.

After reserved broth is cool, add 1 Tbs. of flour to it and whisk until well blended. Add the flour mixture back into the boiling broth and mix well. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.

In a small bowl, add the cream cheese. Gradually add the half and half, whisking constantly. This is so the mixture won't be as clumpy when you add it to the soup; if it's a little clumpy, don't worry because it will end up melting into the soup.

Add the cream cheese mixture gradually into the soup, whisking constantly. When cream cheese mixture is added, reduce the heat to a simmer.

Simmer the soup for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the soup thickens. Do not boil.

Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy!

*Serve with warm flour tortillas if possible

charit@** 02-08-2013 02:04 PM

Just made this...YUM! I added a bout a half can of green enchilada sauce to it also.

Great recipe :)

mojave 02-08-2013 02:16 PM

Sounds very good. I sometimes stir sour cream into my chicken verde and heat it up before serving. Fresh cilantro on top!

Dee

buttoni 02-08-2013 05:46 PM

Can't go wrong with those ingredients! Sounds wonderful! I love anything with green chiles. :)

Tweaker Geek 02-08-2013 08:16 PM

Julie - that sounds wonderful! I just happen to have some cooked chicken waiting for me to make something with it, this is it! I made a jalapeno cornbread a few days ago and I think some of that would be really good with this soup. I'll try to get this made tomorrow or definitely Sunday, thank you!

rosethorns 02-09-2013 06:13 AM

I love green chilis. This sounds so good.

SkeeterN 02-09-2013 06:40 AM

Can you leave the flour out? I do not even buy it.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 02-09-2013 10:34 AM

Yes, you could leave the flour out. It just makes it a little thicker. Sub Gluc. or a thickener if you want.

KCSoccer 02-24-2013 05:17 AM

We loved this soup, even DH who doesn't usually like soup. The only changes I made were to omit the flour (the soup is thick enough without it) and add 1/2 tsp. ground cumin. It tastes like Enchilada Suizas (Swiss Chicken Enchiladas) in a bowl.

Thanks for the recipe - it's a keeper!:)

lazy girl 02-24-2013 06:10 AM

source of green chilis?

Did you buy fresh peppers and roast them yourself? Or did you use canned or frozen? I want to make sure that I get this right. It looks like a keeper for sure!

Mrs S 02-24-2013 06:19 AM

Ooh, that sounds interesting. I'm going to try a vegetarian version of this (I know, blasphemy!) subbing mushrooms and mushroom stock. Thanks for sharing!

KCSoccer 02-24-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy girl (Post 16277363)
Did you buy fresh peppers and roast them yourself? Or did you use canned or frozen? I want to make sure that I get this right. It looks like a keeper for sure!

I usually have some frozen roasted Hatch green chilies on hand, but I was out. So I just used 3 cans of diced green chilies from Trader Joes. I bet the soup would be even better with fresh roasted chilies.

lazy girl 02-24-2013 08:18 AM

I'm out of my frozen peppers. Can't wait for the local Mexican stores to start roasting in the fall . We don't have a Trader Joe's, so I'll have to settle for the frozen from grocery.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 02-24-2013 09:35 AM

I use Hatch green chilies fresh and then frozen. I buy Them by the gunny sackful every Spring. I have a bad cold, so I am making this for dinner tonight. I'm glad everyone is liking this soup.

Tweaker Geek 02-24-2013 05:35 PM

Julie - I forgot to come back and tell you how much I loved this soup. Thank you for the great recipe. I didn't have peppers so I just used canned green chiles and a small can of green Mexican salsa (hot). I put in a few dashes of hot sauce as well, the soup was just delicious!

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 02-25-2013 09:40 AM

Glad you enjoyed it,Tweeker. I had it last night. I was going to serve it with cheese quesadillas, but got too lazy.

rosethorns 02-25-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE (Post 16279590)
Glad you enjoyed it,Tweeker. I had it last night. I was going to serve it with cheese quesadillas, but got too lazy.

That happens when your sick Julie. This is great soup even without the cream cheese , I use gluc to thicken.YUM!!!

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 02-25-2013 10:00 AM

Rose, I'll bet that without the cream cheese, it would not be as rich. How did you like it? Cause it really is a rich soup.