Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
Bread Machine Bread-Excellent Texture!

Feel so stupid, but for the life of me, I can't find the thread where I got the original bread recipe that I modified, but wanted to post this since it turned out so great! My version is from a recipe for low carb bread machine bread. A day later, this bread was still crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, and the best thing, it did not raise my husbands blood sugar. My directions are not professional, but it turned out absolutely perfect the way I made it, and the soya is minimal. I haven't tried leaving it out, but it may not even be needed. I just happened to have it, so I thought I would use it. This recipe is for a 1 lb bread maker, but mine is a 1 1/2 to 2 lb, and it still made a nice round fully raised loaf of bread, just not a huge 2 lb. one. More like the size you would get in a restaurant for 2 people. We did not find any off taste to this bread whatsoever.

1/2 cup very hot water
2 tbs. oil of choice
1 tsp. sugar (to aid in rising)
1 tsp. salt
1 egg

1/3 cup ground flax meal
1/8 cup almond flour
1/8 cup soya powder (milder than regular soy, probably could use all almond)
1/2 cup carbalose
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
2 tsp. bread yeast
1/2 tsp guar gum

Mix the dry ingredients in bread maker. Mix hot water, sugar, salt, oil in small bowl. Add beaten egg to liquid mixture. Make well in dry ingredients and add liquids. Bake as instructed according to your breadmaker. I baked mine on the rapid setting and took it out about 10 minutes early since it was a smaller loaf and was in a larger bread maker.
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Hmmm, that does sound interesting! I'll have to give it a go in my Zoji.

Right now, we're sprouting grains, then dehydrating them, then grinding, then making bread - much less expensive than my former favorite Ezekiel bread, tastes better IMHO, and like your DH - doesn't cause my DH problems either. He's not diabetic but he is insulin-resistant and diabetes runs on both sides of his family so we're extra careful with the breads!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Char

If this bread works in your Zo...let me in on it.
My bread machine (almost new) just sits there.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I want to try this. I don't have guar gum though. Is Xanthan Gum an acceptable sub? Don't have carbalose either so will try to sub it with one my LC Foods Flours.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
Sounds good, I'm going to give it a try! Does any one know how many carbs per average slice-or whole recipe?
Thank you
vonnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
What is soya powder? Is it like protein powder? or a flour? Subs?
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Hummmm, I am going to wait on this one for others to try first. Why is because "ALL" those ingredients listed except the almond flour are strong in flavor.

Please post if anyone else tries it, I have wasted so many products lately trying things, I can't afford more.

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS726 View Post
Feel so stupid, but for the life of me, I can't find the thread where I got the original bread recipe that I modified, but wanted to post this since it turned out so great! My version is from a recipe for low carb bread machine bread. A day later, this bread was still crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, and the best thing, it did not raise my husbands blood sugar. My directions are not professional, but it turned out absolutely perfect the way I made it, and the soya is minimal. I haven't tried leaving it out, but it may not even be needed. I just happened to have it, so I thought I would use it. This recipe is for a 1 lb bread maker, but mine is a 1 1/2 to 2 lb, and it still made a nice round fully raised loaf of bread, just not a huge 2 lb. one. More like the size you would get in a restaurant for 2 people. We did not find any off taste to this bread whatsoever.

1/2 cup very hot water
2 tbs. oil of choice
1 tsp. sugar (to aid in rising)
1 tsp. salt
1 egg

1/3 cup ground flax meal
1/8 cup almond flour
1/8 cup soya powder (milder than regular soy, probably could use all almond)
1/2 cup carbalose
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
2 tsp. bread yeast
1/2 tsp guar gum

Mix the dry ingredients in bread maker. Mix hot water, sugar, salt, oil in small bowl. Add beaten egg to liquid mixture. Make well in dry ingredients and add liquids. Bake as instructed according to your breadmaker. I baked mine on the rapid setting and took it out about 10 minutes early since it was a smaller loaf and was in a larger bread maker.
is this recipe suppose to have yeast in it?
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
is this recipe suppose to have yeast in it?
Yes, it states in the recipe 2 teaspoons of bread yeast....I think you just over looked it.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What is soya powder? Is it like protein powder? or a flour? Subs?
Soya powder is a finely milled soy protein. It is used for making soy milk. Truthfully, I would suppose it could be substituted with something else, but I saw a similar recipe that called for 1/4 cup soy flour, and I am trying to cut it out of my diet, but wanted to use this up since I happened to have it on hand. That is why I made it 1/8 soya and 1/8 almond. I am thinking you could sub some coconut flour, but didn't want to make the bread sweet. Worth a try if you happen to have it on hand.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
Yes, it states in the recipe 2 teaspoons of bread yeast....I think you just over looked it.
You are correct. I thought it was suppose to be in the first section
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Made this recipe again last night for a pizza, but just made the dough in the bread machine. It did raise in the oven for the pizza, but if you are expecting a fluffy white crust like the pizza shop has, that it is not. It was more like a whole wheat crust would taste. The dough came out a little sticky in the bread machine this time, but remedied it by adding a scant tsp. of carbalose. I did everything the same, so it had to be the size of the egg.

Also, tonight, made another loaf to see how it would turn out. Someone mentioned that they thought this may taste strong, but we think it tastes similar to a whole wheat bread, and is moist, although everyone's taste is different. I guess we have done without bread for so long that it was a treat for us. I don't know if the flax contributes to that since it is basically a fat, or not. I am even wondering if I could leave out the flax. I am going to play with this recipe in the future to see if I can get more of a white type of bread. It does taste way better than the breads from Julian bakery though, IMO, and less expensive.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS726 View Post
The dough came out a little sticky in the bread machine this time, but remedied it by adding a scant tsp. of carbalose. I did everything the same, so it had to be the size of the egg.
You may find that the humidity is the problem. The bread will absorb moisture from the air as it kneads, and I always have to compensate in the amount of water in the recipe depending on the weather. In the summer here in Phoenix I have to use 2 tbsp extra water, and during monsoon when the humidity is very high, I have to reduce some recipes by up to 2 tbsp water.
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Unfortunately, we live in Ohio, and my heat has been running, along with the fireplace. We are on lockdown till spring. I have a gauge that shows humidity and it has been the same for the past several weeks. The dough was only a tad bit moister while the machine was running.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
You are correct. I thought it was suppose to be in the first section
Back when I was making bread every week I used to put my yeast in with my flour also. With this instant yeast we have today it mixes easily with the flour mixture and cuts way down on yeast accidents that can ruin a loaf of bread.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote