Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
dee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dee
Stats: (HW196)188/181.4/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Nov 26.13 (formerly HHCG 2 rounds)
Kevinpa's bread recipes??

Has anyone made any of Kevinpa's bread recipes? I am curious but before I order all the ingredients, I wanted some input on the flavor. They all look delicious!! Do they taste anything like bread at all or do you have to ignore the texture?
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
That's a really tough question to answer because everyone's tastes (hahahaha) are so different here.

Personally, I like KevinPa's bread recipes because they're relatively easy to throw into the bread machine (I have an older machine that has a "rapid bake" setting that seems to work fairly well for his recipes) and usually turn out okay.

The specialty ingredients are a downside, because I literally don't use WPI 5000 or 8000 for anything but the bread recipes. The rest I use in other things, so it makes more sense to have them in the pantry. I read a few threads down that the formulation for one of the WPI's has changed, so you may want to hold tight until someone gets the conversion figured out--bread is so tempermental.

Texture-wise, I think these recipes are as close as you're going to get with this low of carbs. Nut flours are the other way to go and they just don't deliver the kind of crumb you can get with the WPI's.

Taste-wise, well, my non-LC hubby would tell you these aren't bread. Actually, even food. Me, I'd say they're pretty darn good. Like most LC breads, they're better toasted than plain. And better the day after they're made than the day they're made.

So that's a loooong way of saying, if you're interested, give it a shot. It's really the only way to know if you'll like it or not. But, if it's just a bread substitute you're after, there are many other options that require somewhat more common ingredients, at least ingredients that you could use in other things even if you didn't like the bread sub recipe you chose to try. The trade-offs are tough.

I hope this helps!
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dlk35
WOE: Atkins
I have made Kevinps's rolls.I was really impressed with how they turned out.Then i tried to eat one.They had the elasticity of rubber.I was really disappointed.I'm sure the loaf recipes are the same (i'm not slaming kevinpa but i was led to believe by someone on here that they were really good.....yea right).To each their own i guess
dlk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Please try to understand that we did not have very much close to bread when we started. So eveybody was trying to get to something that was bread.

The pickins were pretty slim. So when Kevin came in some of us didn't have any bread type for 10to 20 years.And we really thought they were the goldmine of bread.

I still think they are good if you can eat wheat. I can't but it took me many years to come to that. We all expect bread to be what we remember. That will not happen.

We all crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. You do that all the time in low carb. Keep hanging in there. Now try and find the ingredients that you need. That is not an eay task.

The Fanastic Flour mix that OUIZOID came up with is great in my opinion. But you still have to know how to work with it. It's the closest I've come to a high carb crumb in 20 years.

May we all live our life as long as we want!

Last edited by rosethorns; 02-08-2013 at 07:13 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
I make his pita bread recipe. I use it for rolls and pizza crust, I think it tastes great ........ Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
That's a really tough question to answer because everyone's tastes (hahahaha) are so different here.

Personally, I like KevinPa's bread recipes because they're relatively easy to throw into the bread machine (I have an older machine that has a "rapid bake" setting that seems to work fairly well for his recipes) and usually turn out okay.

The specialty ingredients are a downside, because I literally don't use WPI 5000 or 8000 for anything but the bread recipes. The rest I use in other things, so it makes more sense to have them in the pantry. I read a few threads down that the formulation for one of the WPI's has changed, so you may want to hold tight until someone gets the conversion figured out--bread is so tempermental.

Texture-wise, I think these recipes are as close as you're going to get with this low of carbs. Nut flours are the other way to go and they just don't deliver the kind of crumb you can get with the WPI's.

Taste-wise, well, my non-LC hubby would tell you these aren't bread. Actually, even food. Me, I'd say they're pretty darn good. Like most LC breads, they're better toasted than plain. And better the day after they're made than the day they're made.

So that's a loooong way of saying, if you're interested, give it a shot. It's really the only way to know if you'll like it or not. But, if it's just a bread substitute you're after, there are many other options that require somewhat more common ingredients, at least ingredients that you could use in other things even if you didn't like the bread sub recipe you chose to try. The trade-offs are tough.

I hope this helps!
DITTO! Well said.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbbw
Stats: 234/199/150
WOE: Low Carb <30
Start Date: 1977,2000,Apr,2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
DITTO! Well said.
Adding my ditto In my mind I associate those recipes with hope, wins, losses and determination. drjlo, crazywoman, many others were my models of said determination. If kevinpa were still with us, he'd still be concocting amazing stuff and we'd still be following right behind. Now we're using almond flour, coconut flour, oat fiber, lupin flour, glucomannan, psyllium husks, in addition to all those non gluten-free products. Seriously, my pantry looks like a chemistry lab. I LOVE the spirit of experimentation on this forum.

Just remember to share your results with us!

Last edited by slbbw; 02-08-2013 at 08:49 AM..
slbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
I make his carbquik white bread plus two variations that I developed for "wheat" bread made with ground pecans to give it the nutty flavor of whole wheat, and pumpernickel every week. They have become a staple in our diet.
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
dee
Senior LCF Member

Thanks all! I'm so ready for anything remotely bread like...I'm willing to give it a try. It so so much easier to pack a sandwich for work than a bunch of little snacks. I guess I am just a sandwich girl at heart .
Old 02-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
Thanks all! I'm so ready for anything remotely bread like...I'm willing to give it a try. It so so much easier to pack a sandwich for work than a bunch of little snacks. I guess I am just a sandwich girl at heart .
Here is my updated version of his white bread recipe. Some of his original ingredients are no longer available, and the wpi 5000 formula has changed so this is a modern version of his recipe. I make it almost every week

Kevin’s Basic Carbquik White Bread

This my variation on a recipe developed by Kevinpa . The ingredients are basically the same. The amounts are different for some and there have been some substitutions for ingredients in his original recipe that are no longer available. It makes the best low carb white bread I have ever eaten. It has been adapted for a bread maker, but you can make it by hand or in a stand mixer with a dough hook. It makes a great pizza crust, too.

Note: Because these breads have no preservatives, be sure to keep them in the refrigerator.

½ tsp. salt
¼ cup wheat protein isolate 8000
2 cups Carbquik
½ cup wheat protein isolate 5000
2 tbsp Resistant Wheat Starch 75
½ tsp Thick it Up AND ½ tsp glucomannan powder OR 1 tbsp thick it up.
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp sugar (to feed the yeast)
1 tbsp yeast
Artificial sweetener equal to 2 tbsp sugar (or more to taste)

1 cup warm water
¼ cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
1 tbsp. Oil

Set the bread maker to the rapid rise (single rise) setting, and manual mode, (or use a stand mixer with dough hook.)

Combine all the dry ingredient in the pan of the breadmaker. then put the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix the wet ingredients well and warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Turn on the breadmaker and let the dry ingredients mix for a few seconds, then pour in the wet ingredients. (If using a stand mixer, mix for 10 minutes with the dough hook.)
If the dough is too stiff, and breaks into more than one ball, add a little more water. If it is too soft and won’t form a ball, add a little more WPI 5000.
When the manual cycle completes, form the dough and put it in a greased bread pan and set in a warm place to rise. Don’t let it over-rise. It takes only 20-30 minutes.

When dough doubles in size, bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until golden brown. (Put it in the oven when the dough is just above the top of the pan, because it will continue to rise in the oven.)

NOTE: Don’t let this bread rise twice or it will ruin it. Form it into a loaf as soon as it is finished kneading, and let it rise and bake it. My breadmaker has a “turbo mode” that has only one rise cycle. I can bake this bread start to finish in the breadmaker using the turbo mode but I like the shape of the loaves better when baked in a pan.

Makes 16 half inch slices at 1.5g carb per slice

(I actually slice this thinner with my electric slicer, getting between 20 and 22 slices per loaf. Put the bread in the refrigerator overnight before slicing with an electric slicer or electric knife to make it firmer and easier to slice.)

For Rolls: When the manual cycle completes, remove it from the breadmaker and form it into rolls. It will make 8 hamburger rolls or 16 dinner rolls. For the hamburger rolls, cut into eights and form each piece into a ball flatten the ball out to a "patty" about 4 inches across and half an inch high. Place rolls on a baking sheet and put in a warm place to rise for about 20 to 30 minutes. When they have risen, bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

For dinner rolls, cut into 16 pieces, form each into a ball and place side by side in an 9x13 inch greased baking pan. Raise and bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.

You can make it in a breadmaker if your breadmaker has a turbo (single raise) cycle. My old DAK has a turbo cycle and it works just fine in it. If you raise it twice you'll have a brick
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
dee
Senior LCF Member

Yum! That sounds delicious. I looked for the ingredients locally...I was able to get the thick it up and carbquik but not the 5000 and 8000 and wheat starch at my store. I'll have to get them online. Can't wait to try this.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ozcook
Ingredient query

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Here is my updated version of his white bread recipe. Some of his original ingredients are no longer available, and the wpi 5000 formula has changed so this is a modern version of his recipe. I make it almost every week
sbwertz, can you tell me what sort of yeast you use? Instant, rapid rise or something else?

Tks
Ozcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
Yum! That sounds delicious. I looked for the ingredients locally...I was able to get the thick it up and carbquik but not the 5000 and 8000 and wheat starch at my store. I'll have to get them online. Can't wait to try this.

Wow, I've never seen Carbquik locally and always have to get it from Netrition.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Can it be made by hand? I don't have a bread maker.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote