Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Kroger's low carb milk (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/796544-krogers-low-carb-milk.html)

DixieMoon 02-06-2013 12:46 PM

Kroger's low carb milk

Just FYI, I saw that Kroger is selling their brand of CarbMaster low carb milk. I did not buy. Wow! It is more expensive than Hood Calorie Countdown low carb milk!!!!

PaminKY 02-06-2013 12:50 PM

I saw it last weekend but I still bought the Hood, carb amounts were the same but I think the Kroger might have been lower-calorie.

DixieMoon 02-06-2013 12:53 PM

Well I thought since their CarbMaster yogurt is less expensive than the other yogurts, that the milk might be less also.

tulipsandroses 02-06-2013 01:06 PM

I bought it out of curiosity. Would not buy it again. But then again, I'm not a fan of the Hood milk either. Both are just too watered down for my liking. By the way, the closest thing I've tasted to real milk is LC Foods milk mix.

Barbo 02-06-2013 01:41 PM

LC Milk Mix

It tasted good but I couldn't cook with it.
No custards or anything. I get Hood 2 % and if you want
it a bit richer add a little cream/sugar sub. Comes out just like
any 2% milk without the milk sugar. Our Kroger's is called
Ralph's in So. Cal. I wasn't crazy about their CarbMaster yogurt
products. Thanks for the head's up.

tulipsandroses 02-06-2013 02:05 PM

Hi Barbo, I mostly use the LC milk mix for cold applications. Cereal and drinks. I like to mix in some hazelnut butter and a bit of sweetener. Or mix in Monin Irish Cream Syrup and other things for a mudslide. I also use the powder by itself for bread and cinnamon rolls.
I think the Kroger brand low carb milk is similar to the Hood milk so for those that like Hood, they will probably like the Kroger brand as well. I still have almost a full carton left of the Kroger milk. I will try adding HWC to it and see if its more palatable to me. Once its gone though, I won't be buying it again.

DixieMoon 02-06-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulipsandroses (Post 16243793)
I bought it out of curiosity. Would not buy it again. But then again, I'm not a fan of the Hood milk either. Both are just too watered down for my liking. By the way, the closest thing I've tasted to real milk is LC Foods milk mix.

Just wondering, how much of the powder do you use to mix with heavy cream and water? Didn't know there was such a thing!!!

Thanks!

tulipsandroses 02-06-2013 02:42 PM

For the milk mix, I add 3-4 TBS of the milk mix to 8 oz cold water and 2-3 TBS HWC. A drop of EZ sweets and a pinch of salt. You can play with the amount of mix and HWC to suit your liking. I'm a sucker for things rich and creamy ( hence the reason I love this WOE lol) But you can use less to make skim milk. I haven't tried to cook with it so Barbo may be right. I only use the mix for cold things.

DixieMoon 02-06-2013 03:32 PM

Thanks TulipsandRoses!

Guess that bag of powder would last a good while!

tulipsandroses 02-06-2013 03:55 PM

Ok so I did as Barbo suggested, added some HWC and sweetener to the Kroger milk and added a dash of salt and that did the trick! Thanks Barbo. Its a lot more milk like to me now. I guess I will buy it again, just need to add the tweaks.

LindaSue 02-07-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16243878)
I wasn't crazy about their CarbMaster yogurt
products. Thanks for the head's up.

Barbo, have you tried them lately? I used to hate them because they tasted very watery and chalky and only came in about 4-5 ordinary flavors. They've upped the fat content and added tons of new flavors and now they're much better. It comes in these flavors:

Banana Cream Pie
Blackberry
Blackberry Pomegranate
Black Forest Cake
Caramel Spice Cake
Carrot Cake
Cherry
Cinnamon Roll
Key Lime
Peach
Raspberry
Raspberry Yumberry
Spiced Pear
Strawberry Banana
Strawberry Colada
Strawberry Pomegranate
Strawberry
Tropical Fruit
Vanilla Chai
Vanilla
White Chocolate Raspberry

The one flavor that I wish they had is blueberry. They've got half a dozen strawberry and raspberry variations but not one blueberry.

flatferenghi 02-07-2013 08:29 AM

although i am no expert in the baking dept....

when it comes to adding any sort of milk, use cream and add water to get the proper consistency your recipe calls for, and keeps the carb count from rising. If this was already mentioned-you have my apologies. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

PaminKY 02-07-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 16245291)
Barbo, have you tried them lately? I used to hate them because they tasted very watery and chalky and only came in about 4-5 ordinary flavors. They've upped the fat content and added tons of new flavors and now they're much better. It comes in these flavors:

Banana Cream Pie
Blackberry
Blackberry Pomegranate
Black Forest Cake
Caramel Spice Cake
Carrot Cake
Cherry
Cinnamon Roll
Key Lime
Peach
Raspberry
Raspberry Yumberry
Spiced Pear
Strawberry Banana
Strawberry Colada
Strawberry Pomegranate
Strawberry
Tropical Fruit
Vanilla Chai
Vanilla
White Chocolate Raspberry

The one flavor that I wish they had is blueberry. They've got half a dozen strawberry and raspberry variations but not one blueberry.

Those look good and I haven't tried the Carbmaster lately so I might have to try again.

The one flavor that they used to have in their lite yogurt that they discontinued and I still this this day mourn the loss of is the Kiwi Passionfruit. I loved that stuff. My husband's cousin works at the Kroger dairy in our hometown and when I asked him why it was discontinued he said because of low sales and I told him the only reason they were low is because they didn't make enough of it. So many times I would go to buy it and the shelf would be bare so when I did find it I would buy all they had.

LindaSue 02-07-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaminKY (Post 16245326)
Those look good and I haven't tried the Carbmaster lately so I might have to try again.

The one flavor that they used to have in their lite yogurt that they discontinued and I still this this day mourn the loss of is the Kiwi Passionfruit. I loved that stuff. My husband's cousin works at the Kroger dairy in our hometown and when I asked him why it was discontinued he said because of low sales and I told him the only reason they were low is because they didn't make enough of it. So many times I would go to buy it and the shelf would be bare so when I did find it I would buy all they had.

I had the same experience. I remember that was one of my favorite flavors too. It might have sold better if they'd actually ever had it in stock. It was always sold out.

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 02-08-2013 11:12 AM

Can't get Hood here, so I bought some of this. I will definately add Barbo's suggestions. Thanks Barbo

nessyrae 02-10-2013 07:50 AM

I LOVE the carbmaster yogurt and so glad they have so many flavor options!

I am disappointed to hear that people aren't liking the carbmaster milk though. I had planned on buying it this week (since Hood isn't avail to me anymore). I have $1 off coupon for the carbmaster milk.

Elgar 06-21-2013 06:13 AM

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd add my 2 cents since I just tried the Carbmaster milk. I am disappointed that it is fat-free, which is why it tastes so insipid and watery. But it is real milk without much added, whereas the Hood milk has more added stuff. I do think the Carbmaster milk is too sweet, but since I tend to use it in other things, I can tolerate that quirk. I just wish they made a 2% version. My store has it at $2.99 with the card which is lower than Hoods, but not by much. I've come up with a pleasing version by adding 1 oz. of half and half to 7 oz. of Carbmaster milk. I don't like the scum that HWC leaves on coffee, so half and half is a better choice for me.
All in all I give it an 8 out of 10. AND and am so grateful that a grocery chain produces low carb/ sugar free products.

Oh, and the LC Foods milk powder someone mentioned? Talk about expensive! Over $12.00 for 2-1/2 quarts? If it were in liquid form, that would make a carton the size of Carbmaster $9.00! And it is also fat-free.

LindaSue 06-21-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elgar (Post 16480382)

Oh, and the LC Foods milk powder someone mentioned? Talk about expensive! Over $12.00 for 2-1/2 quarts? If it were in liquid form, that would make a carton the size of Carbmaster $9.00! And it is also fat-free.

It's only fat free as a dry powder. Once you make it into "milk", there are 13 grams of fat per serving. It actually has more fat per serving than whole milk. I agree though that it's outrageously expensive.

Elgar 06-21-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 16480738)
It's only fat free as a dry powder. Once you make it into "milk", there are 13 grams of fat per serving. It actually has more fat per serving than whole milk. I agree though that it's outrageously expensive.

OK, you've got me there. How does adding water to a powder increase the fat? To do that, you'd need to add HWC or something similar. And it doesn't make sense to me to buy a LC milk powder if you are going to have to doctor it up anyway. At least not at that price.

The Kroger's Carbmaster is looking better and better to me as all it takes is a splash of half and half to make it more like 2% or better milk. And it does taste better than the Hoods.

LindaSue 06-22-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elgar (Post 16481472)
OK, you've got me there. How does adding water to a powder increase the fat? To do that, you'd need to add HWC or something similar. And it doesn't make sense to me to buy a LC milk powder if you are going to have to doctor it up anyway. At least not at that price.

The Kroger's Carbmaster is looking better and better to me as all it takes is a splash of half and half to make it more like 2% or better milk. And it does taste better than the Hoods.

You're supposed to add heavy cream to the LC Foods milk mix. For one serving you mix 1 cup cold water, some of the mix and 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of heavy cream. It does taste like milk but having to add cream makes it VERY expensive.

tulipsandroses 07-02-2013 12:35 PM

Yes you have to add HWC to the LC foods milk mix. And yes, it is pricy as most of their products are. I do like it though and once mixed I think it is the best tasting LC milk on the market. I don't cook with it but I have heard that it does not work well for cooking but I do like it for milk shakes.