Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
WOWEEEEEEE that looks so much nicer than the lupin bread I first made.

Did you notice any bean-y taste?
I have never minded eggy-tasting, so this may be my version!

Well, plus some oat fiber. How much do you think? More than 2 Tbsp?
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #242
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
No, it didn't really taste bean-y to me Judy (the flax may have drowned that out), just tasted egg-y. I'm going to start out with 2 T. oat fiber next loaf. If that doesn't help with the eggy taste, I'm going to switch to 3 eggs and 4 eggwhites in lieu of 6 whole eggs. There's got to be a way to kill that eggy taste. I think the addition of the olive oil helps with both moisture and flavor. No offense intended, but the pic of Redeemed's loaf looked dry. Mine is not dry at all, inside or on the crust surface.

Last edited by buttoni; 03-28-2013 at 08:04 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
No, it didn't really taste bean-y to me Judy (the flax may have drowned that out), just tasted egg-y. I'm going to start out with 2 T. oat fiber next loaf. If that doesn't help with the eggy taste, I'm going to switch to 3 eggs and 4 eggwhites in lieu of 6 whole eggs. There's got to be a way to kill that eggy taste. I think the addition of the olive oil helps with both moisture and flavor. No offense intended, but the pic of Redeemed's loaf looked dry. Mine is not dry at all, inside or on the crust surface.
My loaf was very very moist. And we didn't eat it quickly enough so that I began to worry it would mold. It didn't. Mine did not have an eggy flavor but certainly had a very strong bean-y flavor.

I have a giant can of powdered egg whites because of the Better Than Flour thread. What do you think of using egg white powder and 3 eggs? Gosh I bet that loaf would rise!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
That is a beautiful looking loaf Peggy!

I'm not a pro at baking at all. That's pretty much why I stick to microwave breads, but I'm thinking that lupin does not need that many eggs. I know with coconut flour you have to use a lot of eggs because it is a very dry product. I don't find lupin to be dry at all so I'm wondering if a good loaf can't be made with significantly less eggs. I don't like eggy breads either so if I make another loaf, It will have to be one that does not use a lot of eggs.

I'm loving all the experimentation you guys are doing with this flour!
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Judy, I think the egg white powder just might work. I have that, too and was thinking about using it also.

Thank you, Tulips! I suspect you're right about the eggs. I might just cut back to 3 eggs and increase the water/cream mixture if the batter is too dry to work with. Worth a try anyway.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #246
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Bean Flour Yeast Bread, wonder if we could use Lupin flour?

I just came across a recipe online for a yeast bread using garbanzo bean flour, I think I may try it with lupin flour.

I can't post a link due to the TOS but if you search "Bean Flour Yeast Bread" it's Karen Hurd's recipe.

I made another loaf today with a couple of teaspoons of caraway seeds and onion powder added. I also added 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to see if that would help it to rise higher and more evenly.

I also used just over 1/4 cup of water to make the batter thinner than my last loaf. I think this helped as it didn't rise "quite" as "weirdly" as the last one. But there was still a bit of a bulge on top. I think it's caused by steam evaporating from what I've read online. I'm not sure how to fix this, but at least the bread tastes great even if it's kind of ugly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130329_182630_resized.jpg (51.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20130329_182707_resized_1.jpg (42.2 KB, 28 views)
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
It looks awfully good to me. Wouldn't it be great if lupin flour worked with yeast?
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That does look good!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That one looks like it came out much better. Is the caraway version good? Does the lupin flour taste come through, or does it really taste like a rye bread?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That looks awesome Yaz! I go back to work tomorrow so more lupin experiments will have to wait till next week. I do want to try that garbanzo yeast bread using lupin.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #251
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That one looks like it came out much better. Is the caraway version good? Does the lupin flour taste come through, or does it really taste like a rye bread?
It came out very similar to the last loaf. The last one looked dry but was actually really moist just like this loaf. This loaf was browned a bit more and the picture was taken in better lighting.

I find that these loaves are so moist that I need to slice them and leave them on the counter to "dry" out a bit for a couple of hours before putting it into a plastic bag. It doesn't get as dry as a wheat bread would, more like a hunter rye.

With the caraway I detect absolutely NO lupin taste at all. And I used all egg whites so there was no eggy taste for me either. I wouldn't say it tastes exactly like rye bread but it's pretty close!

With this loaf I got 16 slices and the stats per dailyplate are:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lupin Oat Fiber with Caraway Seeds.JPG (24.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #252
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
That looks awesome Yaz! I go back to work tomorrow so more lupin experiments will have to wait till next week. I do want to try that garbanzo yeast bread using lupin.
So do I but I think I'll make a mini loaf first (cutting the recipe in half or even a quarter) in case it doesn't turn out. I don't want to waste all that lupin flour.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 AM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yaz, I know you are still experimenting. But could you please list the ingredients hou used on your rye loaf?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #254
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Yaz, I know you are still experimenting. But could you please list the ingredients hou used on your rye loaf?
INGREDIENTS
315 g Simply Egg Whites, beaten
110 g Lupin Flour
40 g Oat Fiber 500
35 g Progressive Organics Whey Protein Unflavoured
1 tsp Magic Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/8 tsp Salt* - just a dash
10 g Nutritional Yeast Flake - optional
20 g Hemp Hearts - optional
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Water
5 g Caraway Seeds - optional
1 tsp Onion Powder - optional
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar - optional
Old 03-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG I just finally worked up the stats on my tweaked version and for the 16 slices I got, they came out to 1.0 NC per slice! I could learn to like this bread, even though it's not my favorite taste yet. I'm still working on improving flavor. Texture sure is nice. 1 carb a slice will sway a girl to further experimentation.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
OMG I just finally worked up the stats on my tweaked version and for the 16 slices I got, they came out to 1.0 NC per slice! I could learn to like this bread, even though it's not my favorite taste yet. I'm still working on improving flavor. Texture sure is nice. 1 carb a slice will sway a girl to further experimentation.
I subscribe to your posts and I thought the very same thing - it's not my favorite taste, but it is an excellent texture and it toasts well and I agree - could still be tweaked for the better.

The calorie count and carb count make it taste a LOT better to me!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I didn't save the page for the Bean Flour Yeast Bread so I googled it and found this.

What do you guys think about trying this with Lupin Flour?

How to make no-yeast whole-grain or legume flour bread cake in two loaves

Sacramento retirees recall the recipes of no-yeast breads and cakes from the 19th century. Here's Michael Levine's mother, Anna Kutkowski Levine's favorite recipe from 1872 passed forward to three more generations on baking a no-yeast bread cake. Anna Kutkowski was born in 1854 in Bialystok and descended from an 18th century Hassidic tradition in cake and bread baking without using yeast. This recipe uses dark rye flour freshly ground from rye grains.

You can buy fresh rye grains in Sacramento in the bulk bins at Sacramento Natural Food Co-op. Also check out the bulk grain bins at Elliot's Natural Foods in Sacramento. And you can use a dry grinder, such as a Vita-Mix (dry grinder) to turn grain into flour. For those who can't have grains, garbanzo bean, lentil, sweet potato, or pea flour are some flours that also can be turned into no-yeast bread or cake. Buy packages of garbanzo bean flour at Elliot's Natural Foods.Here's how to make no-yeast whole-grain bread cake in two loaves. For those who can't eat any grains, you can substitute legume or bean flours such as garbanzo bean flour, lentil flour, sweet potato flour, or pea flour. Otherwise, use whole grain flours such as rye.

This recipe was used in the days before people had ice boxes or refrigeration on farms where fresh milk was used, such as reindeer milk or goat milk. But cow's milk can be used. It's almost as if you're using kefir to make your bread or cake rise, with the exception that flour, milk, and sugar ferments together into a starter that makes cakes and breads rise instead of eggs or yeast.

People in isolated areas of Europe still use similar recipes, as do some individuals in the USA living in rural areas. Similar recipes exist among rural Finland residents, the Amish, people living in some of the Greek islands, and anyone else who likes no-yeast bread or cake. You can use the recipe as vegan by substituting flax seed meal for eggs, using 1/4 cup of ground flax seeds for 1 egg in a recipe calling for several eggs. Or if you're not vegan, use the eggs. They do make the cake or bread taste moister and hearty.

Here's how to get started. Use a glass or wooden bowl instead of a metal bowl. Use a wooden spoon, and not a metal spoon. Let's make 19th century old-world Finnish no-yeast bread.

First you make the starter, which combines a cup of milk, a cup of whole grain flour or garbanzo bean flour or for European style dark bread use rye flour, and 1 cup of organic dark sugar.

You mix this starter and put into a bag such as a plastic bag or cloth bag. Mix by touching the bag and moving around the contents.

You let the milk ferment with the sugar and flour. This forms a type of culture similar to yeast, but not yeast, where the sugar and flour and milk all ferment together. You let it sit for 6 days. Then on the 6th day you add another cup of milk, another cup of sugar, and another cup of flour. You mix by kneading or touching the outside of the bag. A plastic bag is neat and transparent.

You let the mixture sit now until another 4 days have passed. So you have a total of 10 days this fermenting brew is sitting getting cultured on your kitchen table or counter top.

On the 10th day, you pour the smelly contents into a glass or wooden bowl. Never use metal bowls or spoons around this 'culture.' Stir with a wooden, plastic, or porcelain spoon, not a metal spoon. Then you add to this bag batter (called by Granny bog brew) another cup of milk, another cup of flour, and another cup of sugar.

Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until the new ingredients are mixed in with the old ingredients. Now you have a biodegradable brew from which you'll take out just one cup of this 'starter.'

You set aside four or five plastic baggies with sealable edges such as zipper-top bags, or glass jars. And you pour four or five one-cup starters into small glass jars that hold at least one cup of liquid, or in water-proof bags. To avoid plastic leaching out into your batter, use small glass jars with covers instead of baggies.

You can use 16 ounce jars with lids or smaller jars that hold at least 8 ounces of liquid. Back in the 19th century no body used plastic zipper bags. They used glass jars with lids.

You'll be using just one cup of the batter or one jar to bake bread. If you want to bake a cake, use another jar of this starter which takes the place of yeast in making no-yeast breads or cakes.

Start baking bread or cakes from the start on the 10th day. Your batter will be fermenting, bubbling and thickening. Do not refrigerate. You want the bacteria from the atmosphere to mix with the milk, flour, and sugar to form a fermented brew.

Now that you have the starter and 10 days have passed, it's time to bake a no-yeast bread. This recipe can use honey or sugar for the bread and spices. You can use dark flour instead of white flour and use either rye flour or garbanzo bean flour or any other whole-grain or whole legume or lentil flour or a mixture of any flours you want.

Or you can grind your own grains in a dry grinder and make the flour the same day you're going to eat it. For example, you can grind black rice, quinoa, lentils, or use other flours such as sweet potato flour or pea flour. Here are the ingredients for baking this old-world 19th century bread.

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons of creamy, organic raw honey

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 cup of your starter that you've fermented for 10 days

1 cup extra virgin olive oil or use walnut oil, rice bran oil, grape seed oil, or your favorite oil.

1 cup sugar or instead of sugar, use a pinch of stevia as sweetener or any sweetener if you don't use sugar in your bread. There's no reason to add white sugar and white flour to your no-yeast bread, so use a substitute for sugar, such as 2 tablespoons of honey or 1/8 teaspoon of stevia powder. Or you can use fresh stevia leaves, about a teaspoon of chopped leaves.

Use your favorite sweetener, or don't add any sweetener. Or use raisins or chopped, pitted dates if you want to sweeten this bread. Dried nectarines chopped up makes a great sweetener as does goji berries or any dried berries such as blueberries, cloud berries, raspberries, or whatever dried fruit you want.

You don't have to load bread with sugar or use white flour. It will only decay your teeth to have bakery goods loaded with white flour and sugar. And you don't need brown rice syrup, either. Dried fruit is better than syrups and sugars.

1 teaspoon vanilla or any other flavoring such as almond or rum. Vanilla flavoring has the best scent.

3 or 4 eggs. If you don't like the yolks, use the whites. If you're vegan, 1/4 cup of ground flax seeds substitutes for one egg in a recipe.

2 cups of flour, such as rye flour, lentil flour, garbanzo bean flour, or the flour of your choice or a mixture of freshly ground flour made from grains and legumes.

1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder

Optional: 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Leave out the salt if you are salt sensitive and have high blood pressure. You don't need lots of salt.

1/2 cup of milk. If you don't use or want more dairy, use almond milk or hazel nut milk, rice milk, soy milk, or any other milk, even goat milk. But your starter needed to use the milk.

2 teaspoons of cinnamon (powder form)

1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves (powder form)

1/4 teaspoon of ground dried ginger (powder form)

1/2 cup walnuts and almonds, chopped to sprinkle on top of the cake batter just before baking. Or 1/2 chopped pecans and cashews. Or you can choose 1/2 cup chopped shelled pistachio nuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and pumpkin seeds instead of the other nuts.

These chopped nuts or seeds will go on top of each loaf of the bread-cake just before baking. Also instead of nuts you can sprinkle cinnamon and cloves on top of each loaf, or use spices and nuts on top just before baking.

If you like spices, you can add a pinch of cumin, a pinch of cardamom, and any other fragrant spices you like. You also can add a pinch of your favorite herbs such as rosemary or sage, thyme, turmeric, curry powder, tarragon, chili powder, or oregano.

Choose the herbs you want to add, if you want herbs. It's optional to add dried, powdered herbs. It depends upon what kind of taste you want the bread to have. Usually cinnamon is enough for spices and raisins are enough for sweeteners.

Combine the spices and any sweeteners. Oil two loaf pans because this recipe makes two loaves of bread. You can dust the oiled loaf pans with a mixture of powdered cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.

Preheat your oven to 325 F. Put your starter in a glass or wooden bowl. Then add the ingredients for this bread-cake. There will be enough batter to make two loaves. This bread-cake is a bread that tastes like a cake that you serve with tea or other warm beverages.

Mix everything with your wooden spatula or spoon. Then pour the batter into two loaf pans to make two loaves. If you want to sprinkle more cinnamon and cloves on top, go ahead.

Now chop some walnuts and almonds in your dry grinder or coffee grinder and sprinkle the chopped nuts on top of each loaf of whole grain bread cake. If you want to add chopped pistachio nuts or sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds on top of the loaf instead of chopped almonds and walnuts, you can do that also. Or you can sprinkle chopped pecans and cashews on top of each loaf. Choose your nuts and seeds.

Bake for about an hour or until a fork or toothpick comes out clean from the center of the bread-cake. You can also divide the batter into two 8-inch round cake pans and bake this bread-cake as a dessert cake for around 35 minutes instead of baking as a loaf of sweet, spicy, nutty bread.

For serving with tea, bake as a bread loaf and slice. You can serve each person one or two slices of the bread-cake. In the 19th century when few people used white sugar and white flour in the old country, dried fruit was substituted for sugar and whole grain rye flour was used instead of white flour to create a dark no-yeast bread cake.

For those not eating grains, use any non-grain flour such as lentil or garbanzo bean flour, sweet potato flour, or pea flour. Or for those who enjoy rice flour, a dry grinder lets you grind black rice or brown rice into rice flour to use, or substitute any other non-gluten flour such as quinoa flour or a mixture of flour and meal. After the 10th day, use up the batter or give it to a friend to bake that day.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 04-02-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was wondering if I could try this and use Tagatose instead of sugar. Would the fermentation process work if I used a sugar sub?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow. I can't even imagine - but it is very interesting... I used to love that Amish friendship bread back in the day...
I wonder if you need SOME sugar - kind of like yeast needs a little sugar to eat.
I'm sorry I don't know.

I DO know, however, tulipsandroses that your microwave lupin bread is very very good and I thank you for posting that recipe! I get very little of the bean-y taste and none of that taste if I get enough butter on it!
Great texture - toasts beautifully...makes a small amount quickly....
All good things!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad you liked it JCM1. I like that combo. It neutralizes that bean taste nicely. I added a TBS of Oat Fiber to my bread mixture this morning. I think that neutralized the bean taste even more. And yes, it is good toasted with butter. That was my breakfast this morning.

That recipe calls for a lot of sugar so I wonder how much of that sugar would be eaten up in the fermentation if I used real sugar. I need to research this some more.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #262
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have not tried this yet, will do it tomorrow when I get some beef neck bones to make a beef broth, but I was thinking that lupin flour could be used to make a bean soup. Will post my results tmrw.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've got my lupin soup cooking. Hope the end results will be good. Will post on that later.

I was craving cake this afternoon so I made a microwave cake. OMG, was it ever good.
I had a bottle of Lor Ann's Rum Emulsion so I wanted to make a rum cake, but I've had it for a long time and its expired but thought I'd use it anyway. I used a tsp of that plus 1 tsp Mexican Vanilla. The rum flavor did not come through, but the end result was a very very good yellow cake.

I did the same thing I've been doing to make buns/breads but subbed the buttermilk for HWC
used an extra TBS of butter and omitted the salt.
+ 1 TBS Tagatose + couple drops of Liquid Sucralose
+ 1 TBS Oat Fiber

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 04-03-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG, this lupin soup is Deeelish!

I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested but unfortunately, it uses2 obscure ingredients that most probably might not be able to find unless you have an ethnic grocery that carries Caribbean foods. I made it like a traditional Jamaican pea soup that uses salted pig tails, and scotch bonnet peppers.

Jamaican pea soup is usually made with red kidney beans or pigeon peas. Coconut milk is added to the soup. I reconstituted 1 cup of lupin flour with water to use in the soup instead of the kidney beans or pigeon peas.

Although this was more of an ethnic dish, I think you could make a traditional "pea" soup with this flour with ham as the flavoring instead of pig tails. LOL.
Just another way to use up some of this lupin flour. High protein, high fiber soup. Can't beat that!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_last View Post
Great! It would be nice if they showed the nutritional information, though.
It is now on their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
Ugh! Yes, I'm using oat fiber, not oat flour.

Lol!
I hoped that was what you meant! (Cause oat flour is very carby!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I can't do the honey as all the ones I found have malitol and that KIlLS me! Is your honey made with malitol also?
As some have said, there is at least one brand of SF honey that is made with Xylitol instead of Malitol. Some Walmart's carry it. And I've seen it a few other places. And as I think someone said here, I think Netrition carries it as well.

I han not seen (or at least paid attention to) this thread. But a couple of days ago I got a blog notice from Butonni about her making bread using this new flour she had found, Lupin flour. She talked about how low carb the flour was, and posted a recipe she was trying that she was pretty pleased with (tho she was still tweaking). She peaked my interest to say the least. I found the flour and ordered 9 bags!! Hope I like it!!! (Hadn't seen it on Netrition yet, and they are out of stock on it now anyway. Guess it has been very popular!)
So then I found this thread, and have been going thru all the threads! It's taken me a couple of days, but I was waiting on my flour anyway. It is supposed to get here tomorrow!!!
Now I'm anxious for it to get here, and start experimenting! First I'll probably make the bread that Peggy/Butonni posted on her blog (but see if she has a new one posted yet). She was trying to get rid of most of the yellow color for hers, but I'm not worried about the color. I just want a good tasting low carb bread! I was quite happy with my tweaked version of Kevin's Carbalose #4 bread, but am trying to stay away from the wheat now. So, I'm hoping I like one of these bread recipes.
Gotta try some of the desserts too of course!! I'm really not a lemon fan, so the lemon cookies is out. (It's not that I don't like lemon, just not a lemon fan in baked goods, etc. I love cheesecake, but when they have lemon in them, as so many do, they are ruined to me.) Might try one of the others some day, but I'm really not much of a cookie baker either. Never have been. But maybe.
Wanna try some type of pancake recipe.
I've been reading more & more about the pea protein. The name had turned me off, but been reading that it actually has more of a neutral taste that the whey. Hmmm. That surprised me. Not sure if I can find it locally. I'll have to look. May give that a try sometime too.
Tho I like (but don't use) Rye flour itself OK, I can't stand caraway seeds. I'd a soon eat bugs. That what they remind me of, but I'm not sure but what bugs would taste better. Oh well, to each his/her own!!

I was just looking at the Lupin flour page on Netrition, and at the recipe posted there for the squares. Boy that looks good! (Would need to replace the Splenda brown sugar blend (1/2 sugar!) and use the SF honey, but other than that, I think the recipe is doable!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 04-04-2013 at 12:02 AM..
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That recipe on Netrition DOES look pretty good, Billie. Just printed it out. But I'm really avoiding desserts and treats right now, so I won't be baking for awhile.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Crazywoman,
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised that the pea protein is more neutral in baked goods than whey protein. I got mine at Whole Foods so if you have a Whole Foods in your area, you can get the Now brand there.

So far I like lupin best when mixed with almond flour. I need to use up this pea protein I got so I am thinking of making yeast breads with a mix of Jen Eloff's original bake mix and lupin flour. Not sure if that will work. Will post on that when I do it. Hopefully I get to do that later today.

I think you can turn out some pretty good baked goods when you mix almond flour with lupin. Plus the color is just right for yellow cakes. LOL. I made a microwave cake yesterday and it was very good.

I love this flour. Just finished a bowl of lupin soup for breakfast. If anyone likes split pea soup, this is perfect for that.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I made a muffin yesterday with lupin flour that was great--light and delicious

2 Tbs LF
2 Tbs oatfiber
1 Tbs eggwhite powder
1/2 tsp glucomannan
1/2 tsp baking powder
stevia to taste (I use vanilla stevia
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Liquid: almond milk and vanilla davincis--maybe 1/2 cup total? I just kind of add til it looks right

nuked for a couple of minutes in the nuker (times vary according to your micro. nuke tl the top is no longer too wet)

I topped this with a tablespoon of cream cheese mixed with a tbs of vanilla davincis.

yummy and filling. Basically the same as my BTF mix, but the lupin subs for the protein powder
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Hi Crazywoman,
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised that the pea protein is more neutral in baked goods than whey protein. I got mine at Whole Foods so if you have a Whole Foods in your area, you can get the Now brand there.
Thanks! The nearest Whole Foods is down in CO about an hour away. I RARELY ever go to it!!
I have a Natural Grocers here, but I don't think they carry pea protein. (I'll check someday.)
I am placing an order with a supplement company, and am trying a canister from there. The unflavored I wanted to try is out of stock, so I'm trying vanilla. I've often used the vanilla whey protein in recipes instead of unflavored. It should give me an idea.

Expecting my Lupin flour in the mail today!! Excited to get it, and start trying recipes. (Hopefully it will actually get here today! It's coming Priority mail, so it should be.)
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
OMG, this lupin soup is Deeelish!

I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested but unfortunately, it uses2 obscure ingredients that most probably might not be able to find unless you have an ethnic grocery that carries Caribbean foods. I made it like a traditional Jamaican pea soup that uses salted pig tails, and scotch bonnet peppers.

Jamaican pea soup is usually made with red kidney beans or pigeon peas. Coconut milk is added to the soup. I reconstituted 1 cup of lupin flour with water to use in the soup instead of the kidney beans or pigeon peas.

Although this was more of an ethnic dish, I think you could make a traditional "pea" soup with this flour with ham as the flavoring instead of pig tails. LOL.
Just another way to use up some of this lupin flour. High protein, high fiber soup. Can't beat that!
slighty OT but I love pigeon peas with coconut milk and shredded coconut in Rice & Peas...haven't had that in forever...now I want some
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote