Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
I took George Stella's blueberry scone recipe and instead of 1 cup almond flour I did half cup almond flour and half cup lupin flour. They turned out great. I am trying to sub this for half the almond flour to cut the calories and it costs less. My hubby liked them too.
And the texture is a little more firm, don't you think?
I'm starting to be happier I bought so much of this flour if I can sub it for almond. I didn't like it "straight" in the bread, but I do like it with flavors!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Yes, it is a bit more firm. I really like it. I am excited to try this with other recipes that use all almond flour.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
I used some tweaks from Tulipsandroses to make this tweaked version of the original bread recipe from Chocolate Chili Mango's website. This was delicious and toasted nicely once baked. I just wish I could get the bread to rise more. I plan on adding some sun dried tomatoes to my next loaf along with the cheddar cheese. I'd also like to make a loaf using parmeason cheese and spinach.

Preheat oven to 350.

1 cup lupin flour
2 T almond flour
6 eggs
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup almond milk
l/2 tsp. sea salt

Last edited by Redeemed; 03-26-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I used some tweaks from Tulipsandroses to make this tweaked version of the original bread recipe from Chocolate Chili Mango's website. This was delicious and toasted nicely once baked. I just wish I could get the bread to rise more. I plan on adding some sun dried tomatoes to my next loaf along with the cheddar cheese. I'd also like to make a loaf using parmeason cheese and spinach.

Preheat ovento 350.

1 cup lupin flour
2 T almond flour
6 eggs
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup almond milk
l/2 tsp. sea salt

I have found that if I add 1/2 - 1 tsp of glucomannan to the dry ingredients, mix everything up, pour into pan and then let pan sit for 5 minutes before putting in the oven that I will get a better product. The glucomannan will hydrate in those 5 minutes and make everything poof up.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I have found that if I add 1/2 - 1 tsp of glucomannan to the dry ingredients, mix everything up, pour into pan and then let pan sit for 5 minutes before putting in the oven that I will get a better product. The glucomannan will hydrate in those 5 minutes and make everything poof up.
Good to know! Thank you. I'll try this in my next loaf. I really love this flour, and the fact that it is so low in carbs and calories. But I feel this recipe needs a little improvement. So, your suggestion just might be what I'm looking for here.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #216
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
I made another loaf last night. I tweaked it a bit too. I think I need to add more water though as the batter was much thicker than with the original and my loaf ended up cracking.

I used the original recipe but made the following changes.

used 3 eggs and the equivalent of 3 eggs of whites (next time will use all whites.)
did not use coconut flour, used 40 grams of Oat Fiber instead.
used 20 grams of hemp seeds.
used 10 grams of nutritional yeast.
4 tbsp of water.
increased baking powder to 1 tsp to try and get it to rise higher.

I found that this loaf came out moister, but that might be since I'm not sure if I baked it long enough. I forgot to turn on the timer!

I'm happy with the rise I got, but I think it would have risen more if I used more water. The batter was thicker than the original version. The taste is nice and at 47 calories a slice with almost 8 grams of protein it's a fantastic loaf for me. I like the density of the lupin flour as it really fills me up.

Going to attempt a buffalo chicken grilled cheese sandwich tonight for dinner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130325_201650.jpg (43.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20130325_201747.jpg (43.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20130325_201813.jpg (27.6 KB, 20 views)
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Good to know! Thank you. I'll try this in my next loaf. I really love this flour, and the fact that it is so low in carbs and calories. But I feel this recipe needs a little improvement. So, your suggestion just might be what I'm looking for here.
I would also increase the baking powder, 1/2 tsp is not enough. I would go to at least 1 tsp. I use about 1 tsp per cup of "flour".

Last edited by PaminKY; 03-26-2013 at 08:42 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I would also increase the baking powder, 1/2 tsp is not enough. I would go to at least 1 tsp. I use about 1 tsp per cup of "flour".
Thanks! Will try that too.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
I made another loaf last night. I tweaked it a bit too. I think I need to add more water though as the batter was much thicker than with the original and my loaf ended up cracking.

used 3 eggs and the equivalent of 3 eggs of whites (next time will use all whites.)
4 tbsp of water.

I found that this loaf came out moister, but that might be since I'm not sure if I baked it long enough. I forgot to turn on the timer!

I'm happy with the rise I got, but I think it would have risen more if I used more water. The batter was thicker than the original version. The taste is nice and at 47 calories a slice with almost 8 grams of protein it's a fantastic loaf for me. I like the density of the lupin flour as it really fills me up.

I only baked my loaf for 30 minutes. But I have a silicon bread pan that is slightly longer than my glass loaf dish. Just curious why you got such a high rise in the middle of your loaf of bread?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #220
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just curious why you got such a high rise in the middle of your loaf of bread?
I haven't a clue!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Yaz, I am so confused,, which original recipe did you use? can you do a complete recipe for me to follow?? thanks.. Your bread looks awesome..
Old 03-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #222
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yaz, I am so confused,, which original recipe did you use? can you do a complete recipe for me to follow?? thanks.. Your bread looks awesome..
Here is the link to the original recipe.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16250309

Not sure if this will work or not, but I made a note with my revised recipe on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/yasme...51380034325894
Old 03-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:

Preheat oven to 350.

1 cup lupin flour
2 T almond flour
6 eggs
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup almond milk
l/2 tsp. sea salt
I might try this version later this week. I'm afraid to get an eggy bread though. I'm wondering if I could reduced the eggs?
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post

4 tbsp of water.

Your loaf looks great. What is the purpose of the nutritional yeast?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yes, it is a bit more firm. I really like it. I am excited to try this with other recipes that use all almond flour.
Yes I love the texture and how firm it is. I just had a bacon cheeseburger with ranch dressing,jalapenos and lettuce and tomato. I made a microwave hamburger bun with half lupin/half almond flour and it held up fabulously with all those toppings including LC ketchup.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
I might try this version later this week. I'm afraid to get an eggy bread though. I'm wondering if I could reduced the eggs?
It's worth a try. I'll bet you can turn out something good with the ideas you have. This had the consistency of an English muffin. I toasted a slice on low so it wouldn't dry out. This version tastes great toasted with butter. I had a thin slice today with dill dip which was great. My loaf was very yellow, which I think is nice looking. I don't mind the color at all.

Last edited by Redeemed; 03-26-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #227
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Your loaf looks great. What is the purpose of the nutritional yeast?
For the health benefits and the taste. I was hoping it would impart a cheesy taste to the bread, next time I'll add a bit more.

FYI, even though I screwed up and used 3 eggs and "3" whites instead of all egg whites, my loaf doesn't taste "eggy" to me and I HATE eggy tasting bread.

You could add some onion powder or caraway seeds or whatever seasoning you really like to the batter to try and make that the dominant flavour.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

thanks, it worked
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

I made a cake last night using 2 cups almond flour and 1 cup Lupin flour. I was thinking this morning that without the Stevia Blend sugar, this would make a good sandwich bread. I'm not counting the carbs for the lupin flour, because the Irwin Valley Website states there is a negative 2+ net carbs per cup. Not bad considering all the nutrients and low calories.

Last edited by Redeemed; 03-27-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I made a cake last night using 2 cups almond flour and 1 cup Lupin flour. I was thinking this morning that without the Stevia Blend sugar, this would make a good sandwich bread. I'm not counting the carbs for the lupin flour, because the Irwin Valley Website states there is a negative 2+ net carbs per cup. Not bad considering all the nutrients and low calories.
I think it makes awesome bread when paired with almond flour. My most favorite use so far is bread for burgers, grilled cheese and sandwiches. I have only been making microwave breads though but I'm in love with burgers and sandwiches again because I love this as bread so much! Which is great because since I'm back in school again and I work long shifts, on my days off from work I don't want to spend lots of time in the kitchen.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm just going to HAVE to start making some breads with this flour. Can't wait.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #232
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

I'm going to make a caraway loaf tonight to have pastrami and corned beef sandwiches on.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lupin/Almond Crackers - Almost like "Wheat Thins"

These would have been perfect had I not added too much salt. They come very close to tasting like Wheat Thins to me. I tweaked a recipe for wheat thins I found on line.

1/2 cup lupin flour
1/2 cup almond flour ( I used natural almond flour since I thought the color would lend more to the appearance of wheat thins)
1/2 tsp gluc
1TBS egg white powder
2 TBS water
4 TBS unsalted butter
1/4 tsp sea salt ( I used 1/2 tsp and it was too salty so I think 1/4 tsp should be just right)
1 TBS sweetener - ( I used tagatose)
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp baking powder ( I don't think this is necessary, I was trying to get them to puff up some but I think it can be left out. I made another batch using rosermary and parmesan butter but I burnt them. UGH! I did not use baking powder in that batch)

The recipe I tweaked called for cutting the butter into the flour in a food processor, but I just mixed up by hand with a fork.
Rolled into a ball, then rolled out as thinly as I could with a rolling pin. Then used a pizza cutter to cut into squares on parchment paper.
Baked @ 325 degrees. Took about 10 mins. They were not as crispy as they should be fresh out of the oven, but I left them on the counter over night and now they are as crispy as any high carb cracker.

[IMG][/IMG]

Had this as my afternoon snack with some Tillamook Cheddar Cheese. Yummo and very satisfying snack.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 03-27-2013 at 04:24 PM..
Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Your crackers are beautiful! I'm looking forward to Buttoni's pie crust experiment she mentioned on her blog. The cake I made last night that was so good was from Healthy Indulgences Blog by Lauren. I got her permission to refer to the recipe. It was her Busy Cake (Blender Cake). The recipe called for 2 cups almond flour and 1 cup oat flour. I just subbed the Lupin Flour for the oat flour. The cake was delicious. Lauren wanted some info on the Lupin Flour. So, here's wishing she will join us with our experiments.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Your crackers are beautiful! I'm looking forward to Buttoni's pie crust experiment she mentioned on her blog. The cake I made last night that was so good was from Healthy Indulgences Blog by Lauren. I got her permission to refer to the recipe. It was her Busy Cake (Blender Cake). The recipe called for 2 cups almond flour and 1 cup oat flour. I just subbed the Lupin Flour for the oat flour. The cake was delicious. Lauren wanted some info on the Lupin Flour. So, here's wishing she will join us with our experiments.
Ohh,that cake looks marvelous! Did you use protein powder too? I might make this into cupcakes.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Tulipsandroses, which micro bread recipe are you using? I prefer to do that as I don't eat that much bread but would like to be have a grilled cheese or burger bun once in a while.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ohh,that cake looks marvelous! Did you use protein powder too? I might make this into cupcakes.
Yes. I'm not a fan of protein powder, but I did use it in this recipe. I have a sweetner called SteviaBlend that I really like that I buy off of Amazon. I didn't want to use the Tagatose for sweetner (that I have been experimenting with) because I wanted to use the SteviaBlend first to see how it worked. So, I subbed SteviaBlend for the sweetner. The cake is dense - which I am seeing more and more is a result of the lupin flour, and the flavor is great - not eggy, not almondy, but a nice flavor.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Tulipsandroses, which micro bread recipe are you using? I prefer to do that as I don't eat that much bread but would like to be have a grilled cheese or burger bun once in a while.
This is my basic bun/bread.

I TBS unsalted butter melted
2 TBS lupin Flour
2 TBS almond flour
1 TBS egg white powder
1/2 tsp gluc
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sweetener
1 large egg
2 TBS buttermilk

microwave for 2 mins

This gives me 2 servings. I cut in 4 slices

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 03-28-2013 at 07:15 AM..
Old 03-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you tulip
Old 03-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I tried a bread today, tweaking several things in Redeemed's version in post#213. Here's what I did:

½ c. lupin flour
½ c. BTF (Ouiz's flour mix)
¼ c. almond flour
1 T, flax meal (for a nuttier taste)
6 eggs
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 c. Jack cheese
3 T. water + 1 T. cream
½ tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. glucomannan powder
1 T. olive oil

Baked 30 min at 350º. AS you can see, it rose evenly, but didn't peak up as much as Redeemed's loaf. Texture was firm, which I liked, but it was kinda "spongy" as things with too much egg tend to be like. Even smells eggy. Definitely not as good as my Individual MW White Bread or MW Chia Bread for sandwiches.

I can eat this bread warm with butter, but this first loaf will likely end up as French Toast or a batch of good stuffing for my next pork chops or baked chicken. I don't like eggy smelling/tasting sandwiches, but am pleased enough with the overall texture and appearance to keep tinkering around with this flour to see if I can achieve a nice sandwich bread.

Next time I'm going to add some oat fiber to my version (this post) to try to "dry this out" a bit and give it a bit more "flour-y" (rather than eggy) taste. This is what it looks like:

Last edited by buttoni; 03-28-2013 at 07:05 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote