Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
I made mine in the standard size loaf pan.
Baked it for 27 minutes at 356 degrees.

I can't wait to hear what you think.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #182
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I made mine in the standard size loaf pan.
Baked it for 27 minutes at 356 degrees.

I can't wait to hear what you think.
I couldn't wait for it to completely cool, so I had a warm slice with cheese. I added some sunflower and sesame seeds and a titch of splenda to the batter.

OMdoG! I LOVE this stuff! Next time I'll double the recipe to try and make a higher loaf though.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Tulipsandroses, could you post your biscuit final recipe and cookies? I get too confused going back and forth.

Does anyone have and errr gas problems with this flour? Coconut flour makes me clear a room.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #184
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
Tulipsandroses, could you post your biscuit final recipe and cookies? I get too confused going back and forth.

Does anyone have and errr gas problems with this flour? Coconut flour makes me clear a room.
My thought is it is a bean. Maybe some Beano with it. I have to do that with a gluten free BRM bread mix as it has bean flour. But have not had that issue with coconut flour.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I made a microwave bread this morning with half almond flour and half lupin, plus egg white powder. I used it to make a grilled cheese sandwich. It was awesome. I'd love to make a whole loaf of bread but I'm skeptical about making the chili mango bread because I just can't stand anything made with protein powder. I can always taste the protein powder.

Brenda, I don't have a final recipe for the biscuit or cookies. I was experimenting with the flour and thats what I came up with. I'll repost what I did.

For the biscuits

I had already melted 2 TBS of Butter and added an egg, 1 tsp baking powder and 4 TBS of lupin flour and was going to make a microwave muffin and then decided to try some biscuits instead. I added 1 TBS of egg white powder, 1/2 tsp of gluc, threw in some shredded cheese, (sorry didn't measure), 1 TBS buttermilk, 1 tsp garlic powder, and a dash of salt, added another TBS of Lupin flour. Then baked in the oven at 350. Sorry didn't even time it. Just took them out when they looked ready. LOL. These were not bad for an experiment. The texture was fantastic. My son loved them. They need a little tweaking because I think the ratio of the ingredients needs to be improved. The texture was on point. Very biscuit like. The taste though reminded me of garlic flavored cheezits than cheese garlic biscuits.

When I made my 2nd batch of biscuits, I used Alton Brown's southern biscuit recipe. Subbed the regular flour for lupin flour. His recipe uses buttermilk. I only made a half of his recipe and for the buttermilk, to lower the carbs I mixed 1/4 buttermilk with 1/4 cup heavy cream.

Ingredients
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup buttermilk, chilled

For the cookies

Chocolate macadamia cookies
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup lupin flour
1/2 cup chopped macadamias
1/4 cup tagatose
2 TBS SF honey
1 egg
1/2 of a SF chocolate bar chopped up
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt
1 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar then add vanilla and egg, mix well. Add dry ingredients, and mix. If preferred hold back chocolate and nuts and mix in last. I dropped by a spoon, placed 2 inches apart on baking tray and bake

I have not figured out the right time to bake these yet because the tagatose browns fast so i just keep my eyes on them.

When I made the 2nd batch of cookies, I replaced the macadamias with shredded coconut. Took out the SF Chocolate bar. Then topped it with SF Tagatose Caramel and and SF Monin Chocolate Sauce

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 03-12-2013 at 11:38 AM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #186
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
I'd love to make a whole loaf of bread but I'm skeptical about making the chili mango bread because I just can't stand anything made with protein powder. I can always taste the protein powder.
I was the same way until I started using Pea Protein Isolate and Whey Protein CONCENTRATE. I never found a Whey Isolate that I could stand the taste of, whereas the unflavoured concentrate that I buy (Progressive Organics) has no taste that I can discern in any of my baked goods.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I might make a trip to Whole Foods today and pick up some Pea Protein. Thats the only place I've seen it locally. I do love this lupin flour though Yaz, thanks for posting about it. I'm going to attempt a batter for frying with it later. Will report my results later.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Mashed "potatoes"

I got the idea from others here at LCF (not sure who). I boiled a small cauliflower, drained, added 1 oz. cream cheese, S & P, 1 T Lupin Flour. Then I used my immersion blender to whip it all up. If someone would have served this to me without telling me what it was, I would have said mashed potatoes. Texture and taste like mashed potatoes.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I got the idea from others here at LCF (not sure who). I boiled a small cauliflower, drained, added 1 oz. cream cheese, S & P, 1 T Lupin Flour. Then I used my immersion blender to whip it all up. If someone would have served this to me without telling me what it was, I would have said mashed potatoes. Texture and taste like mashed potatoes.
LAst week I attempted to make hamburger buns using mashed cauli and lupin flour. It did not work as buns, but the end result was tasty. I baked the mixture in my muffin top pan and topped with sour cream, bacon and cheese. It didn't hold up as a hamburger bun, but topped with sour cream, cheese and bacon and it was good.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Just ordered the pea protein and the Lupin flour. Can't wait to try these!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
I made a microwave bread this morning with half almond flour and half lupin, plus egg white powder. I used it to make a grilled cheese sandwich. It was awesome. I'd love to make a whole loaf of bread but I'm skeptical about making the chili mango bread because I just can't stand anything made with protein powder. I can always taste the protein powder.

Brenda, I don't have a final recipe for the biscuit or cookies. I was experimenting with the flour and thats what I came up with. I'll repost what I did.

For the biscuits

I had already melted 2 TBS of Butter and added an egg, 1 tsp baking powder and 4 TBS of lupin flour and was going to make a microwave muffin and then decided to try some biscuits instead. I added 1 TBS of egg white powder, 1/2 tsp of gluc, threw in some shredded cheese, (sorry didn't measure), 1 TBS buttermilk, 1 tsp garlic powder, and a dash of salt, added another TBS of Lupin flour. Then baked in the oven at 350. Sorry didn't even time it. Just took them out when they looked ready. LOL. These were not bad for an experiment. The texture was fantastic. My son loved them. They need a little tweaking because I think the ratio of the ingredients needs to be improved. The texture was on point. Very biscuit like. The taste though reminded me of garlic flavored cheezits than cheese garlic biscuits.

When I made my 2nd batch of biscuits, I used Alton Brown's southern biscuit recipe. Subbed the regular flour for lupin flour. His recipe uses buttermilk. I only made a half of his recipe and for the buttermilk, to lower the carbs I mixed 1/4 buttermilk with 1/4 cup heavy cream.

Ingredients
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup buttermilk, chilled

For the cookies

Chocolate macadamia cookies
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup lupin flour
1/2 cup chopped macadamias
1/4 cup tagatose
2 TBS SF honey
1 egg
1/2 of a SF chocolate bar chopped up
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt
1 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar then add vanilla and egg, mix well. Add dry ingredients, and mix. If preferred hold back chocolate and nuts and mix in last. I dropped by a spoon, placed 2 inches apart on baking tray and bake

I have not figured out the right time to bake these yet because the tagatose browns fast so i just keep my eyes on them.

When I made the 2nd batch of cookies, I replaced the macadamias with shredded coconut. Took out the SF Chocolate bar. Then topped it with SF Tagatose Caramel and and SF Monin Chocolate Sauce
The author of the blog said you didn't have to use the protein powder. You could just use more lupin flour. I would think almond flour would be a good substitute also. It wasn't a lot of protein powder in the recipe. BTW. Making one of your biscuits for breakfast this morning.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Quote:
COOL! I can't wait to try this, Redeemed!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
COOL! I can't wait to try this, Redeemed!
Me too, I guess I will have to buy some Lupin Flour.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
Ever since I started using oat flour and glucomannan for cooking, our digestive systems had to ....um....adjust to all the fiber. It's all good though. I told my family they should be thanking me for getting more fiber in their diets. I only got one "thanks".
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
Ever since I started using oat flour and glucomannan for cooking, our digestive systems had to ....um....adjust to all the fiber. It's all good though. I told my family they should be thanking me for getting more fiber in their diets. I only got one "thanks".
Are you also using oat fiber? My family really "noticed" that! LOL!

Hey - you're welcome family!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Quote:
Are you also using oat fiber? My family really "noticed" that! LOL!

Hey - you're welcome family!
Ugh! Yes, I'm using oat fiber, not oat flour.

Lol!
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, finally got some pea protein so I am about to make the chili mango bread. Wish me luck!
I made a microwave bread using the Fantastic Flour Mix but subbed 1 TBS Almond Flour & 1 TBS Lupin flour for the coconut flour and switched the Whey Protein to Pea Protein to first test my taste tolerance to the pea protein. No funky taste like I usually get from Whey Protein. I cut into 4 pieces and used it for bread for a bacon cheeseburger. Not bad. A tad bit dry. I will add more butter next time.

I will post results of the lupin bread when it is finished later.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 03-22-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am a big fan of Lupin flour but I am not a fan of the Chili mango bread. Too eggy. I thought so when I saw 6 eggs but decided to try it anyway. I have truly enjoyed my lupin/almond flour microwave breads so I might try to come up with a a recipe for a whole bread based on that.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #199
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

I can't stand eggy breads either, so when I saw the recipe I knew that I would not be using 6 whole eggs.

I find that by subbing egg whites for some or all of the whole eggs it takes away the eggy taste for me in most recipes.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I'm going to try making my BTF mix subbing lupin for the coconut flour and then making some bread
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
That sounds great Quizoid as I am finding I hate the taste of coconut flour and have been wanting to try your mix again without it to see if I have better luck. Please share your results with us!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #202
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I'm going to try making my BTF mix subbing lupin for the coconut flour and then making some bread
Oh, that will be interesting! Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

I tweaked this recipe of Barbo's. I used Tagatose for the sweeter and subbed lupin flour instead of almond flour. I poured the batter into my silicon muffin tray and microwaved for 1 l/2 minutes. I got four small muffins. I frosted them with almond milk and powdered Swerve. The texture was dense. The muffins were more bar-like than cake-like; but tasted very good. The muffins were just the right size because they were so "rich" tasting. I will be using this for a base for pumpkin and bananna muffins also.

"Oldie/Goodie Quick Shortcake Recipe
Made in empty 8 oz. Cool Whip bowl (or bowl of your choice)
2 minute Microwave on High
2 Servings

*2 tablespoons Splenda OR YOUR FAV.
*1 tablespoon butter
*2 tablespoons cream cheese
*1 Egg
*1 teaspoon baking powder
*1 teaspoon vanilla
*1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
*Pinch salt
*1/4 cup Almond Flour
Soften the butter and cream cheese
Add all other ingredients
Whisk well and microwave in *Cool Whip bowl for two minutes
As an extra special treat, as soon as this cake comes out the microwave, be generous and pour the sugar free mini choc chips on top and drizzle heavy cream over the chips and once everything cools down you will have a moist yellow cake with chocolate frosting!

*Lemon extract or almond or vanilla. Your choice.
If not using chocolate chips this is an excellent cake for
Strawberry or peach shortcake.

This recipe serves both of us. Try it with a few blueberries
or just use the mini sf choco chip as a 'frosting'"
Old 03-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougottaeat View Post
Just made Buttoni's Lupin Lemon Cookies post 87. They are wonderful!!! I added 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds.

I also made the chocolate cookies and they are wonderful as well. We love them both!
I FINALLY made buttoni's Lupin Lemon Cookies and we love them, too!!
We love lemon desserts here, but the erythritol is usually too "cooling" in our throats. I added enough EZ Sweetz to equal one cup + more for our own tastes. This was the first time I'd used the sugar-free honey. The combination of sweeteners was great and the cookie is fantastic.

Importantly for us - no "beany" taste from the Lupin flour. I made the chili mango bread recipe and the taste of the flour was very strong. I may have more taste buds than I thought! lol

The cookies were great, though.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

I had another muffin that I made this morning from Barbo's recipe (post 203) - I really think the muffins made with Lupin flour would make a great chocolate brownie. The consistency is just right for brownies.

Last edited by Redeemed; 03-24-2013 at 09:01 AM..
Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I tweaked this recipe of Barbo's. I used Tagatose for the sweeter and subbed lupin flour instead of almond flour. I poured the batter into my silicon muffin tray and microwaved for 1 l/2 minutes. I got four small muffins. I frosted them with almond milk and powdered Swerve. The texture was dense. The muffins were more bar-like than cake-like; but tasted very good. The muffins were just the right size because they were so "rich" tasting. I will be using this for a base for pumpkin and bananna muffins also.

"Oldie/Goodie Quick Shortcake Recipe
Made in empty 8 oz. Cool Whip bowl (or bowl of your choice)
2 minute Microwave on High
2 Servings

*2 tablespoons Splenda OR YOUR FAV.
*1 tablespoon butter
*2 tablespoons cream cheese
*1 Egg
*1 teaspoon baking powder
*1 teaspoon vanilla
*1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
*Pinch salt
*1/4 cup Almond Flour
Soften the butter and cream cheese
Add all other ingredients
Whisk well and microwave in *Cool Whip bowl for two minutes
As an extra special treat, as soon as this cake comes out the microwave, be generous and pour the sugar free mini choc chips on top and drizzle heavy cream over the chips and once everything cools down you will have a moist yellow cake with chocolate frosting!

*Lemon extract or almond or vanilla. Your choice.
If not using chocolate chips this is an excellent cake for
Strawberry or peach shortcake.

This recipe serves both of us. Try it with a few blueberries
or just use the mini sf choco chip as a 'frosting'"
I'm excited to try these - I have silicone muffin liners I'll use. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #207
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
I FINALLY made buttoni's Lupin Lemon Cookies and we love them, too!!
We love lemon desserts here, but the erythritol is usually too "cooling" in our throats. I added enough EZ Sweetz to equal one cup + more for our own tastes. This was the first time I'd used the sugar-free honey. The combination of sweeteners was great and the cookie is fantastic.

Importantly for us - no "beany" taste from the Lupin flour. I made the chili mango bread recipe and the taste of the flour was very strong. I may have more taste buds than I thought! lol

The cookies were great, though.
I can't do the honey as all the ones I found have malitol and that KIlLS me! Is your honey made with malitol also?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I took George Stella's blueberry scone recipe and instead of 1 cup almond flour I did half cup almond flour and half cup lupin flour. They turned out great. I am trying to sub this for half the almond flour to cut the calories and it costs less. My hubby liked them too.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I can't do the honey as all the ones I found have malitol and that KIlLS me! Is your honey made with malitol also?
It is - sorry.
And I was worried! So I only eat one cookie at a time....
But you could sub tagatose or something you tolerate better, maybe?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #210
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yougottaeat
Stats: 173/129/130
Start Date: July 1 2003
Netrition has xylitol honey. That is what I used and it worked great!
yougottaeat is offline   Reply With Quote