Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
I finally got a chance to pick up my flour yesterday.

I used it in place of the flax (1/2 tbsp) in my microwave bread/muffin recipe and it brought it up to a whole new level! They were already a nice texture for me and but now they are even better! They are even moister than before.

Since I only added 1/2 tbsp it didn't make the batter or finished product really bright yellow but it did make it slightly yellow.

I can't wait to bake a loaf and some cookies with this flour.

This isn't the best picture and I was too excited to taste test this that I ate most of my brekkie before I thought to take a picture.
Your muffin looks great! I made a microwave muffin this morning that I like better than the ones I used to make with almond flour. I used l/4 cup Lupin flour 1 egg, 2 T Tagatose, 2T SF applesauce, 1 T cinnamon, 1 T DaVinci sf Pancake Syrup l/2 t baking powder. No other flours necessary. The muffin was tan in color and a nice muffin texture. I frosted with powerded Swerve and Almond Milk.

Last edited by Redeemed; 02-27-2013 at 04:56 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Your muffin looks great! I made a microwave muffin this morning that I like better than the ones I used to make with almond flour. I used l/4 cup Lupin flour 1 egg, 2 T Tagatose, 2T SF applesauce, 1 T cinnamon, 1 T DaVinci sf Pancake Syrup l/2 t baking powder. No other flours necessary. The muffin was tan in color and a nice muffin texture. I frosted with powerded Swerve and Almond Milk.
Hi - did you microwave it in a standard-sized muffin - like a silicone muffin liner? Or in a small ramekin or similar?
Thanks.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #123
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
The shipping was stiff on that site unless you spent $30-$40 . Netrition needs to carry t!!
I think maybe they might carry it soon. When I spoke to Michael at Lopino he said they were working on having distribution out of NY (where Netrition is based) and Canada by the summer.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Just ordered 9 lbs and got free shipping!
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Hi - did you microwave it in a standard-sized muffin - like a silicone muffin liner? Or in a small ramekin or similar?
Thanks.
A Campbell's Soup Mug, sprayed with Pam, microwaved for about 1 minute and 30 seconds.

Last edited by Redeemed; 02-27-2013 at 10:15 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #126
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
Just ordered 9 lbs and got free shipping!
NICE! I ordered 9 lbs and had to pay $15.00 even though the postage was $12 and change.

I wonder if they'll always be offering free shipping now that so many people are buying from them?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know Yaz, I've been watching this thread for reviews before placing an order. Went to put my order in this morning and there was an option for free shipping. It does not say on their site if its a limited promotion or if its only if you order a certain amount.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #128
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
I don't know Yaz, I've been watching this thread for reviews before placing an order. Went to put my order in this morning and there was an option for free shipping. It does not say on their site if its a limited promotion or if its only if you order a certain amount.
I think over $30 order is free shipping and the 9 pounds is over $30. Does this stuff keep well?
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #129
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Cindy, I freeze most all of my flours, etc in tightly sealed bags.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mine was 9lbs. - free shipping.
I'll probably at least refrigerate my flour.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
I think maybe they might carry it soon. When I spoke to Michael at Lopino he said they were working on having distribution out of NY (where Netrition is based) and Canada by the summer.
did it sound like they were going to have a Canadian distributor? That would be fantastic- not having to pay exchange rates. I hope that's what they meant.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #132
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
did it sound like they were going to have a Canadian distributor? That would be fantastic- not having to pay exchange rates. I hope that's what they meant.
He said they were hoping to have one in Canada. I gave him the contact information for the people I get my Pea Protein and Pea Fibre from in Oakville, Ontario (N2Ingredients) to see if they might be interested in distributing in Canada.

FYI, if you use a Sears Mastercard they don't charge the 2.5% FX fee that all other credit cards charge. And with the Canadian Dollar being over par or close to it it's not that cost prohibitive to order US products any more. Though DUTY and Shipping to Canada can be pricey.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Anyone made any bread with his new Lupin Flour yet? I read from Barb, I think that it's supposed to taste a bit like cornbread. I'm hoping!!
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm afraid to answer, but I'm answering.

I made the bread this morning. It is not neutral-tasting. It definitely has its own flavor. The texture is VERY bread-like. I used the recipe from the chili mango(?) website and I'll be happy to post it here if it hasn't been posted already.

I ate it warm from the oven and the flavor was, to me, very much like baby garbanzo beans - very strong.
This evening, after sitting in plastic wrap, it's not quite so strong, but it definitely still has a flavor.

My DH ate two slices with his chili and said he loved it - did not mention any extra or unexpected flavor.

I used a slice to eat peanut butter before I dashed out the door - very filling! And if you have another flavor, the bread doesn't compete too badly.

Sorry I'm not glowing. This really has its own flavor.
I need to make Peggy's lemon cookies because did I tell you all I have 9 pounds of lupin flour?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I want to try the ChilliMango bread recipe adding some of my Fresh Corn flavoring or some processed baby corn (or a little of both). But I just can't eat baked goods that often, so I'm trying to spread out my experimenting there.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I want to try the ChilliMango bread recipe adding some of my Fresh Corn flavoring or some processed baby corn (or a little of both). But I just can't eat baked goods that often, so I'm trying to spread out my experimenting there.
I will do that, too - I have some baby corn.
Where do we get Fresh Corn flavoring?

I am VERY interested in making your lemon cookies next, though.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I ordered from Fooducopia.
Was Fooducopia the one with free shipping if you buy so much?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #138
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Yes. 9 pounds did it but also it was over $30 so you could get less if you ordered other stuff.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #139
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Where do we get Fresh Corn flavoring?
I bought mine from Superior Products, but their site seems to have died and you have to Google Select Flavors to get it now. I just love their Fresh Corn and their Coconutti flavorings. Not sure if they were bought out or sold the business or why the site changes. But that's the right stuff (I recognize the bottles) on the Select Flavors website.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I bought mine from Superior Products, but their site seems to have died and you have to Google Select Flavors to get it now. I just love their Fresh Corn and their Coconutti flavorings. Not sure if they were bought out or sold the business or why the site changes. But that's the right stuff (I recognize the bottles) on the Select Flavors website.
Thanks so much!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #141
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Yes it is. I ordered 12 more pounds and shipping was free.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I wonder how this would be in crackers instead of Flaxseed? I usually add a bit of garbanzo bean flour, as it gives a real cracker taste, but this might do the same with fewer carbs...
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sure hoping you'll try it..... and post the results and recipe....
Old 03-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Thanks everyone.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #145
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelilydad View Post
I wonder how this would be in crackers instead of Flaxseed? I usually add a bit of garbanzo bean flour, as it gives a real cracker taste, but this might do the same with fewer carbs...
I think it would probably work. I used to make a mock socca in a frying pan with garbanzo bean flour. I just tried making one tonight with the lupin flour. It took longer but it did crisp up REALLY nice!

I basically just mixed 1/4 cup of flour with some seasonings and water and made a very runny batter. I poured it into a non stick pan with some coconut oil. I fried it until it was dry and I could flip it over then cooked the other side for about 5 minutes. I did burn it a little so next time I'll cook it on a slightly lower heat and watch it. BUT it is really nice and crispy!

And NO beany taste at all.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Socca?

Hi Yaz,

I don't know what Socca is, so won't know what seasonings
to use? Can you help? Sounds like a tortilla.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #147
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Hi Yaz,

I don't know what Socca is, so won't know what seasonings
to use? Can you help? Sounds like a tortilla.
Socca is a chickpea flatbread typically made in a cast iron pan in the oven but you can make it in a frying pan on the stovetop.

If you google it there are a bunch of recipes. I omit the olive oil IN the batter and use a bit of garlic powder and adobo seasoning in my batter. You can put whatever seasoning you like in it. I did find that it was more delicate with the lupin flour than with garbanzo bean flour.

Most socca recipes say to let the batter sit for a while to thicken up, I've never done this but I think I'll try it the next time I make it with the lupin flour.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Socca is a chickpea flatbread typically made in a cast iron pan in the oven but you can make it in a frying pan on the stovetop.

If you google it there are a bunch of recipes. I omit the olive oil IN the batter and use a bit of garlic powder and adobo seasoning in my batter. You can put whatever seasoning you like in it. I did find that it was more delicate with the lupin flour than with garbanzo bean flour.

Most socca recipes say to let the batter sit for a while to thicken up, I've never done this but I think I'll try it the next time I make it with the lupin flour.
Well this has gotten so interesting!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #149
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Netrition needs to carry it!!
Netrition placed an order today. Lupin flour is expected to be in stock within a couple weeks. Thanks for the suggestion!
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Got my lupin flour today. Didn't have much time to experiment since I get home from work @ 8 pm.
1st attempt was to use it as a replacement for protein powder in the Better than Flour mix since I don't like protein powder. I tried to make a microwave muffin. No go. It was inedible.

2nd attempt - Chocolate Macadamia Cookies. Let me just say, I have never made cookies before in my life. Using the recipe below as my guide, I tried to make a small batch of cookies. Since this was a test run, I only used 1/2 cup lupin flour + 1/2 cup almond flour and 1/4 cup tagatose + 2 TBS SF Honey Syrup. I chopped up half of a sugar free chocolate bar for my chocolate chips. Added 1/2 cup chopped macadamias.
These were good. Thanks Buttoni for the Honey tip. I'll try to make these again on my day off without using the Tagatose. Even though I lowered the temp to 325, they were still browning faster than I would have liked so I had to take them out quicker than I planned, thus some of them had more of a cake like texture and not a cookie texture. In any event, I thought they were really good. Needed more chocolate and more sweetener but not bad at all. I did not detect an after taste. Will have cookies and tea for breakfast in the morning while I'm sitting at the nurse's station. LOL. I did not use the oatmeal that the recipe called for. For those that use oatmeal, I bet you could make some really nice oatmeal cookies with this flour.

3rd attempt. My package came with a recipe for Indian Roti. A mix of Whole Wheat Flour and Lupin Flour. This was a disaster for me. I subbed the whole wheat flour for some flour I had from LC Foods Corp. I could not get the dough right. It was hard to get flat and kept coming off in crumbles. The few pieces I managed to get in the pan, ended up being crispy, not soft and pliable like roti at all. Which brings me to say, that this would probably make nice crackers. Will try that too on my day off.

I got this recipe off of the Irwin Valley Lupin Flour site.
Ingredients

1 cup Lupin Flour
½ cup butter
½ cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla
1 egg
½ tsp bi-carb soda
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 ¼ cups oatmeal blitzed in whizz to a fine powder
8 oz choc chips or cooking chocolate
chopped¾ cup nuts chopped

Cream butter and sugar then add vanilla and egg, mix well. Add dry ingredients, and mix. If preferred hold back chocolate and nuts and mix in last. Roll into walnut size balls, place 2 inches apart on baking tray and bake at 180°C for 10 minutes.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 03-02-2013 at 08:20 PM..