Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 03:28 AM   #451
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Where is the Samoa cookie recipe ?
I think I too will try some cornbread and replace half the almond flour.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #452
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Yaz, I use a 9 x 9 silicone baking pan.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #453
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
This is the cornbread recipe I use. I've been wanting to use ground up baby corn in place of the cornmeal and I've bought the corn but just haven't gotten around to try it, you may not need as much buttermilk then either. The glucomannan really helps this hold together like regular cornbread. I also don't like sweet cornbread so you can add sweetener if you like it that way.

Lupin Corn Bread

1 cup lupin flour
½ cup pork rind flour
¼ cup cornmeal (Bob’s Red Mill, Medium Grind)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ tsp glucomannan powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (or more if buttermilk is thick or mix to dry)

2 tbs oil (I use bacon grease)

Preheat oven to 425°.

Mix the dry ingredients together. Add eggs, and buttermilk and mix well, if too thick or too dry add more buttermilk as needed. Allow to stand for 5 minutes to give the glucomannan time to hydrate.

Put an 8” cast iron skillet on burner on medium heat and put the 2 tbs. oil or grease in the skillet. You want the skillet and oil to get hot but watch it and don’t let it start smoking.

After mixture has set for 5 minutes and skillet is hot take the hot skillet and swirl the grease around it to coat the sides and then pour most of the hot grease into mix but leave a thin layer in the bottom of the skillet. Mix the melted grease into the mix carefully and then pour mixture into skillet. It will be thick but try to spread it even.

Place it in the oven and bake at 425° until golden brown.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:32 AM   #454
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Thanks Pam.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #455
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Thanks, Pam! Looks good. I have used ground up baby corn and it works really well with Lupin flour. This looks like a nice variation for sure.

Last edited by Redeemed; 11-16-2013 at 08:21 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #456
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
bumping this up for Mrs. Binkums.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #457
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Subbing, now I have to read through all of the posts ARGH
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #458
Major LCF Poster!

Pizza Crust

I made pizza using a tweaked version of the "Fathead Pizza Crust". I subbed Lupin flour for the almond flour and added olive oil. I thought the crust had a great taste and texture. The crust was thin and held up to the toppings I used. Here's the recipe I used:

1 cup mozzarella cheese
2 T cream cheese
l/4 cup Lupin Flour
1 egg
1 T Olive Oil
2 T Pizza Magic
1 tsp salt.

Nuke mozzarella cheese and cream cheese until soft. Add the rest of the ingredients and form a dough. With wet hands, form a pizza crust from the dough on parchment paper that has been placed over a pizza pan. Make pierced rows in the dough with a fork. In a preheated 400 degree oven, bake crust 8 minutes. Check to see if there are any bubbles. Use fork to pierce any bubbles. Turn crust over and bake 8 more minutes. Take crust out and add toppings. Bake until the cheese on your toppings are done.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Redeemed - that Fat Head crust may also be my favorite crust that is sometimes called Holy Grail pizza crust?

I just looked at my recipe for the Holy Grail crust and it uses 3/4 cup of almond flour.
Is the 1/4 cup of lupin flour the replacement for that much almond flour?

Regardless - your description of the finished pizza crust sounds perfect perfect for us.
Thank you!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #460
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Will have to try out that pizza crust. I use LC Corp's pizza flour and love it but always looking for new ways to add some lupin to my recipes.

I made some cupcakes this morning using lupin flour and tweaking the BTF mix and I have to say they were phenominal!

I can't really give a recipe since I tend to just mix stuff up until it tastes right to me. LOL!I'm hoping I can recreate this because they came out exceptionally well. My mom is visiting and she does not low carb and has tasted my low carb concoctions before and agreed that this was the best thing I've ever made low carb - as far as baked goods.

I got 9 cupcakes with this mix

Here's what I used.
4 TBS almond flour
4 TBS lupin flour
2 TBS Oat Fiber
2 TBS Egg White Powder
1 tsp gluc
2 tsp baking powder (probably only need 1 but I originally intended to make something else that's why I added 2 to the mix but I'm thinking 1 would be enough)
4 TBS butter
1/4 cup HWC
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
As far as sweeteners - I can't say how much I used. I used a mix of stuff and just added it to the bowl and kept tasting till I thought it was sweet enough. I'm going to try this again tomorrow and measure out the sweetener as I add because this is a keeper for me.
Didn't time it either, just kept watching and took them out of the oven when the toothpick came up clean.
I made a chocolate cream icing to go on top and boy were these good!.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 02-16-2014 at 01:06 PM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #461
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Redeemed - that Fat Head crust may also be my favorite crust that is sometimes called Holy Grail pizza crust?

I just looked at my recipe for the Holy Grail crust and it uses 3/4 cup of almond flour.
Is the 1/4 cup of lupin flour the replacement for that much almond flour?

Regardless - your description of the finished pizza crust sounds perfect perfect for us.
Thank you!
Yes. It's the Holy Grail crust. I made it from memory and thought it was l/4 cup almond flour. The crust was really good - may be better with 3/4 cup! I added the Pizza Magic and thought it was a good addition. I think the flavor of Lupin flour complemented the topping.

Last edited by Redeemed; 02-16-2014 at 01:31 PM..
Old 02-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #462
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
Will have to try out that pizza crust. I use LC Corp's pizza flour and love it but always looking for new ways to add some lupin to my recipes.

I made some cupcakes this morning using lupin flour and tweaking the BTF mix and I have to say they were phenominal!

I can't really give a recipe since I tend to just mix stuff up until it tastes right to me. LOL!I'm hoping I can recreate this because they came out exceptionally well. My mom is visiting and she does not low carb and has tasted my low carb concoctions before and agreed that this was the best thing I've ever made low carb - as far as baked goods.

Here's what I used.

4 TBS almond flour
4 TBS lupin flour
2 TBS Oat Fiber
2 TBS Egg White Powder
1 tsp gluc
2 tsp baking powder (probably only need 1 but I originally intended to make something else that's why I added 2 to the mix but I'm thinking 1 would be enough)
4 TBS butter
1/4 cup HWC
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
As far as sweeteners - I can't say how much I used. I used a mix of stuff and just added it to the bowl and kept tasting till I thought it was sweet enough. I'm going to try this again tomorrow and measure out the sweetener as I add because this is a keeper for me.
Didn't time it either, just kept watching and took them out of the oven when the toothpick came up clean.
Those look good! I think I'll make them in the morning, so I can have something during my coffee break at work (night shift). I have some marscapone; and saw an interesting recipe for frosting using marscapone, whipping cream (whipped) ,vanilla and xylitol from a post on FB from Atkins. I may add pumpkin spice to the frosting. I have all the ingredients for the cupcakes and frosting -good deal!

Last edited by Redeemed; 02-16-2014 at 01:44 PM..
Old 02-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Here's what I used.
4 TBS almond flour
4 TBS lupin flour
2 TBS Oat Fiber
2 TBS Egg White Powder
1 tsp gluc
4 TBS butter
1/4 cup HWC
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
I am excited to have a mixture of the lupin and better than flour mixture.
I might wait until you have how much sweetener and how long you baked.
Oh who am I kidding?
I'll wait.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #464
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Yes. It's the Holy Grail crust. I made it from memory and thought it was l/4 cup almond flour. The crust was really good - may be better with 3/4 cup! I added the Pizza Magic and thought it was a good addition. I think the flavor of Lupin flour complemented the topping.
Well lupin flour is certainly a lot more drying than almond flour.
That holy grail/fat head crust is just about perfect for me.
If i can use lupin instead of all that almond flour, that would be wonderful.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #465
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well lupin flour is certainly a lot more drying than almond flour.
That holy grail/fat head crust is just about perfect for me.
If i can use lupin instead of all that almond flour, that would be wonderful.
I made the pizza about a week ago with the almond flour; today I used the lupin flour. Both were very good, but I really liked the pizza with the lupin crust better even though I only used l/4 cup. I think the olive oil helped with the dryness. In fact, I was thinking while I was eating the lupin pizza that the dough would make a good cracker recipe.

Last edited by Redeemed; 02-16-2014 at 06:36 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #466
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Here's what I used.
4 TBS almond flour
4 TBS lupin flour
2 TBS Oat Fiber
2 TBS Egg White Powder
1 tsp gluc
4 TBS butter
1/4 cup HWC
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
I just made this recipe - and it was delicious! One of the best LC cake recipes I have tried. I used the 2 tsp of baking powder. I also added l/2 tsp sea salt. I usually don't like my cakes too sweet, but found I needed to use 3T erythritol and 3T xylitol. I used my 8 l/2 x 9 l/2 buttered baking dish, and made a snack cake. I made a cream cheese/marscapone frosting with fresh lemon juice and Swerve sweetner. Baked in a 350 degree oven for l/2 hour. I think my oven may be hotter than some, so you may need to bake longer, but might want to check after 20 minutes to be sure.

Last edited by Redeemed; 02-19-2014 at 08:48 AM..
Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #467
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad the cake turned out well for you Redeemed! I have not attempted another batch yet. Plan to do that tomorrow as well as try out that pizza. I wanted to make the pizza today but had so much running around to do and got home late. I'm home tomorrow so after the gym, I plan on cooking up some good stuff. I'm gonna make my low carb version of nutella so that's gonna be my icing for next batch of cupcakes.

So do you suggest 3/4 cup of lupin or 1/4 cup for the pizza?
Thanks.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #468
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm glad the cake turned out well for you Redeemed! I have not attempted another batch yet. Plan to do that tomorrow as well as try out that pizza. I wanted to make the pizza today but had so much running around to do and got home late. I'm home tomorrow so after the gym, I plan on cooking up some good stuff. I'm gonna make my low carb version of nutella so that's gonna be my icing for next batch of cupcakes.

So do you suggest 3/4 cup of lupin or 1/4 cup for the pizza?
Thanks.
I went with l/2 cup lupin and l/4 cup vital wheat gluten. The vital wheat gluten did not add anything to the flavor or texture, so I would skip that and use just l/2 lupin.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #469
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Anyone think its possible to make an empanada type crust with lupin?

I always have trouble with lupin when I try to do a rolled out dough application. It always crumbles or tears when I try to fold it over. Any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I finally made the pizza! I like! It kinda reminded me of pizza hot pockets. Can't wait for my son to get home and try it. That used to be one of his favorite junk food items before he started eating better. I might try cutting it up and making it into little pockets and try filling the pockets the next time I try this. I'm wondering if I can back down on the cheese in the dough to 3/4 cup. Can't believe I 'm saying this because I LOVE cheese! but I thought it was a tad too cheesy. But I would definitely make this again even though LC Corp's pizza is still my fave. I might try adding a little of that pizza flour to this next time and see how it turns out.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 02-20-2014 at 11:39 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #471
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Redeemed, I forgot to add that I think your 6TBS of sweetener is right on the money for the cupcake/cake mixture. I did 6 TBS of granular sweetener - mix of Tagatose,Xylitol,Sucralose and then added 1tsp liquid sucralose and it was way too sweet.
I made the Mascarpone frosting you posted but I won't bother frosting them because they are just too sweet so can't put more sweet on top. I'll just have them with strong coffee to dilute that sweetness. I also think I underestimated how much liquid I used the first time I made these. This time I got 6 cupcakes so I think I must have used more liquid the first time. I know I used the same amount of dry ingredients though but I must have added more cream than 1/4 cup the first time. This time the batter was thicker than I remember it being so I added 1 TBS of oil and a splash of HWC to thin it out. They still came out great though. Just a bit too sweet. Texture wise I think they were still perfect. I want to try to turn this batter into a carrot cake for my next experiment. I think I might try it tomorrow and ice it with the frosting I made today.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 02-20-2014 at 11:41 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #472
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
Where is the Samoa cookie recipe ?
I think I too will try some cornbread and replace half the almond flour.
Sorry, I missed this post

See post 162 on this pageLupin Flour?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #473
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Redeemed, I forgot to add that I think your 6TBS of sweetener is right on the money for the cupcake/cake mixture. I did 6 TBS of granular sweetener - mix of Tagatose,Xylitol,Sucralose and then added 1tsp liquid sucralose and it was way too sweet.
I made the Mascarpone frosting you posted but I won't bother frosting them because they are just too sweet so can't put more sweet on top. I'll just have them with strong coffee to dilute that sweetness. I also think I underestimated how much liquid I used the first time I made these. This time I got 6 cupcakes so I think I must have used more liquid the first time. I know I used the same amount of dry ingredients though but I must have added more cream than 1/4 cup the first time. This time the batter was thicker than I remember it being so I added 1 TBS of oil and a splash of HWC to thin it out. They still came out great though. Just a bit too sweet. Texture wise I think they were still perfect. I want to try to turn this batter into a carrot cake for my next experiment. I think I might try it tomorrow and ice it with the frosting I made today.
I forgot to add that I used powdered Swerve for the frosting. And, I got 12 pieces of cake from the recipe. My husband really liked the cake. I was going to have a piece when I woke up today, but the cake is gone! It's such an easy recipe - and so low in calories that I felt I could indulge with that rich frosting. I will be making another cake tonight.

I don't like using so much cheese for pizza either. Also, did you use mozzarella cheese? Cheddar would be overpowering. I might try one of the Great Low Carb Bread Co. bagels as a base for individual pizzas. They make great tuna cheese burgers, so I'll give them a try. Fewer calories that way.

Last edited by Redeemed; 02-20-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Old 02-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #474
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I plan to make the pizza crust sometime soon but am interested whether you all would use the 1/4 cup or would use more.

And thank you both for figuring out the amount of sweetening for that cake/cupcakes.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #475
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I plan to make the pizza crust sometime soon but am interested whether you all would use the 1/4 cup or would use more.

And thank you both for figuring out the amount of sweetening for that cake/cupcakes.
Hi Judy! When I do make this again, I will probably use l/2 cup Lupin and l/4 almond flour. For the cheese, I'll be trying light cream cheese and and light mozzarella (if I can find it), just to cut calories.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #476
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK thank you.

When I finally try it I'll report back!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #477
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
OK thank you.

When I finally try it I'll report back!
Yes. Let us know how you like the cake recipe also. Thanking Ouizoid for the original bake mix recipe and Tulipsandroses for her tweaking!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Has anyone made a chocolate cake using lupin? I'm beginning to wonder if cocoa powder just does not go well with lupin. I remember trying the chocolate mayo pound cake with lupin and hated it, and the chocolate mayo pound cake happens to be one of my favorite low carb cake recipes.

I have good quality cocoa powder so not sure what the deal is. I got an off taste, kinda bitter. Hard to describe but it wasn't like it needed more sweetener, just a weird bitter taste.

I basically used the recipe I posted for my cupcakes and added 3 TBS Cocoa and subbed the HWC for buttermilk. The cake was super moist and texture was on point for nice moist chocolate cupcakes, but the taste was yucky!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #479
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Chocolate Wafer Cookies

Quote:
Has anyone made a chocolate cake using lupin? I'm beginning to wonder if cocoa powder just does not go well with lupin. I remember trying the chocolate mayo pound cake with lupin and hated it, and the chocolate mayo pound cake happens to be one of my favorite low carb cake recipes.

I have good quality cocoa powder so not sure what the deal is. I got an off taste, kinda bitter. Hard to describe but it wasn't like it needed more sweetener, just a weird bitter taste.

I basically used the recipe I posted for my cupcakes and added 3 TBS Cocoa and subbed the HWC for buttermilk. The cake was super moist and texture was on point for nice moist chocolate cupcakes, but the taste was yucky!
I haven't tried making a cake yet, that's next on my list of things to try. I did make chocolate wafer cookies yesterday (and today) with Lupin flour and Cocoa. I don't find them bitter at all, I used a mix of Swerve (confectioners) and Splenda.

I had wanted to roll out the dough and use a pizza cutter to make tiny squares but I think I used too much lupin flour and the dough was tearing apart. So I made small flat round cookies instead.

I rolled the other half of my dough into a log and put it in the fridge. I was going to try and add some olive oil to it today and see if it would be more workable, but when I took it out of the fridge it was VERY hard and I was able to slice it into thin slices with a knife.

They taste very similar to oreo's!
Yaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Would you please post the chocolate wafer recipe?
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote