Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Yes, I too am very appreciative of the may great cooks sharing their recipes & knowledge here!!

Peggy, the meat in the picture with the stuffing, appears to have been "breaded/coated" & fried. What did you use to coat it?
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Billie, I never coat them. I keep telling you guys I'm a lazy cook. It was pork loin, just pounded and seared in 1 tsp. bacon grease. I love the taste of the caramelizing on the surface and usually brown my chops quite a bit.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #393
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
So if your not all the fond of peanuts this flour wouldn't be something you would like all that much correct?
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I suppose one might look at it that way. I'm finding in small enough amounts, that taste isn't overpowering. But if you really detest the taste of peanuts, canellini beans and other legumes, even a faint taste of lupin might be offensive. I find it kind of a mild "musty" back taste, kinda like the mustiness I taste in purple beets (which I detest BTW). But despite that, I'm willing to put up with that slight musty back taste to be able to lower the carb counts on baked goods with small amounts of lupin flour. Hope that answered your question.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #395
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Well, I suppose one might look at it that way. I'm finding in small enough amounts, that taste isn't overpowering. But if you really detest the taste of peanuts, canellini beans and other legumes, even a faint taste of lupin might be offensive. I find it kind of a mild "musty" back taste, kinda like the mustiness I taste in purple beets (which I detest BTW). But despite that, I'm willing to put up with that slight musty back taste to be able to lower the carb counts on baked goods with small amounts of lupin flour. Hope that answered your question.

Excellent description of the flavor of the lupin flour.
It tastes nothing like peanuts, if that's what worries you.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #396
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Billie, I never coat them. I keep telling you guys I'm a lazy cook. It was pork loin, just pounded and seared in 1 tsp. bacon grease. I love the taste of the caramelizing on the surface and usually brown my chops quite a bit.
I've been busy the last few days, and haven't been on here, so I missed seeing your reply until now.
I'm a VERY lazy cook!!! hehe
I thought they looked like they were coated. Tho I have coated several different meats that I fry, I rarely ever coat pork either. I'm not very good at cooking it. I usually end up overcooking it trying to get that sear!
I'm not a huge stuffing fan. I used to do it every Thanksgiving & Christmas to go with the turkey (dressing not stuffing, I don't stuff my bird), but that is about the only time I usually fixed it. (Well, and sometimes at Easter, if I happened to do a turkey then.) But again, as I said, Im' a very lazy cook, and I think it was as much the trouble as anything. Before I started doing low carb, I made a corn bread/biscuit dressing. So I baked a pan of biscuits (sometimes just put the dough solid in the pan, and didn't make "biscuits" per se), and a pan of corn bread. Then I'd crumble both to make the dressing. (finally started doing that in my blender or food processor) It's not at all that I don't like dressing (well, I don't like most people's, as it's usually too spicy for me), but just don't like it well enough to make it for other meals. I rarely even try to low carb it anymore for my holiday meals.
Anyway thanks for letting me know that the meat was not coated, but rather seared well.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TxHomeGirl
WOE: Lower Carb
Subbing. This is a very interesting thread!
TxHomeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #398
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beth2013
Stats: 165/133/125
Start Date: January 1, 2013
I wanted to order some to have in my 'low-carb cooking arsenal', but Netrition has been out for weeks and weeks. I'm despairing that it'll ever be available again. I'll keep checking, though. Or, I might sign up to be notified if they ever get it in again.
Beth2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #399
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Lupin flour has been on backorder. Netrition expects to have it in stock by June 21.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #400
Senior LCF Member

Yay! Thank you, Kathy! Marking my calendar!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
my local LC store was supposed to have it stocked on May 15 but they are on backorder from their supplier...I will just have to wait i guess Boo!
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #402
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
Start Date: October 2009
Deb34 - You have a local LC store? *jealous* My local health food store only has "healthy" high carb stuff.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #403
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Lupin flour has been on backorder. Netrition expects to have it in stock by June 21.

lol, you're going to be inundated I think.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #404
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Marking mine too!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #405
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Good to know. Thanks..
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #406
Major LCF Poster!

OK, I'm reporting back in about my Lupin bread experiments. I've actually made 3 more loaves of bread since I posted. The 1st of those was slightly better than my first experiments (which I reported on here). It still wasn't really what I was looking for tho.
The next was better yet, and I had meant to post on it, and say it was getting better, but never got here. I've been busy, and also just didn't feel like trying to figure out what to type up. That's fine, cause my last loaf was the best yet.
This time I took 2 tsp brown sugar & 2 tsp instant yeast, and added 1/4 cup warm water. Set it aside in a warm place to "Proof". Wasn't sure how this experiment was gonna turn out adding yeast, but decided to give it a go.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lupin Bread - Yaz's Billie tweaks = yeast bread

Recipe By :Yaz (LCF) adapted by Billie
Serving Size : 21 thin slices
Categories : bread

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 TBsp Powdered Egg Whites
3/4 cup Lupin Flour
3/8 cup Coconut flour - Aloha Nu
3/4 cup Oat Fiber
1/4 cup Whey Protein Powder
1/2 cup Whey Protein Pwd, Instant NG
1/4 Cup Pea protein
2 TBsp chia seeds, ground
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/8 tsp Salt -- * - just a dash
1/2 tsp Glucomannan -- - optional
2 teaspoons Nutritional Yeast -- - optional
1 cup Water -- + 2 tbsp (add more if needed) (I used 1 1/4 cup = too much for the yeast bread)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vinegar -- Optional
2 teaspoons instant yeast -- + 2 tsp brown sugar = dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350°F

Grease a loaf tin lightly with coconut oil spray (or PAM) or line the tin with silicone paper, if not using a silicon mold.Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix or whisk together until blended and the batter is smooth. The batter will be fairly thin but the whey and oat fiber will absorb a great deal of moisture during baking.

45 to 50 minutes until risen and golden and a skewer, inserted into the centre, comes out clean. Do not over bake this bread or the loaf will dry out.

Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Store, well wrapped, in a freezer bag in the fridge or freezer. It will last for up to a week, stored in the refrigerator. It will last longer if you slice it and store, wrapped, in the freezer.

Description:
"Original recipe by Yaz (LCF), Billie's tweaks - adding yeast"
Source:
"https://www.facebook.com/notes/yasmeen-gjelsvik/lupin-flour-oat-fibre-protein-bread/10151380034325894"
Yield:
"21 thin slices"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 47 Calories; 2g Fat (17.6% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 28mg Cholesterol; 137mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : I did not put the 2 tsp brown sugar in the recipe to be counted in the nutritional info, as the yeast eats it. I dissolved the yeast & b sugar in the 1/4c warm water, then set in a warm place to "work". I added it along with the wet ingredients.
I let the batter sit in the loaf pan covered lightly for 45min to 1 hour. It had risen about double.

I think I added too much water to the batter/dough for a yeast bread. Think If I'd still been trying the other loaf without the added yeast, the batter would have been about right, but not for a yeast bread. Since it did rise while setting before putting in the oven, I think the yeast is working in it, and less water would have possibly yielded more rise while baking. As it was, it fell slightly (only slightly). Again tho, I think this was due to the dough being too wet. It was still more of a light batter than a dough. Next time I make it (which may be quite a while), I'll use less water, and try for a thicker dough.
But the texture was good, and the flavor was much better. I baked it this time in my wider pan. So this loaf was much wider, but wasn't very high (even tho it rose almost double). It's fine for toast, which is what I'm mainly using it for. Would make a very short sandwich (but all the loaves I've baked so far would be very small sandwiches). This is about like a half sandwich.

I'm still having a hard time concentrating on what to write. So hope this made sense.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #407
Senior LCF Member

Sounds great, crazywoman-n-wy, but what is the Instant NG in the whey protein powder?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #408
Major LCF Poster!

I'm sorry. The instant NG is Natural Grocers instant Whey Protein Powder. You can sub out almost any Whey Protein Powder I think. It can all be the same, instead of 2 different kinds. That's just what I am using this time. And the other Whey Protein pwd I used this time was Designer Whey brand. But I think it will be another one similar next time. Think I used the last of the DW brand I had, and am actually using a brand I had found at Sam's Club, and now they don't seem to be carrying it anymore. BUMMER! It was a good protein pwd, and a great price as far as protein pwds go. Wouldn't you know it! I will say tho, that the EAS brand doesn't seem to do well in a lot of recipes. Not sure how it would do in any of these breads. (Might be OK..??? It's not good for the candies.)
I'm anxious to see how this does if I (or anyone) doesn't get it too wet like I'm sure part of my problem was. I was very impressed with the initial rise tho!

Aloha Nu happens to be the coconut flour I have right now. I think someone said it is no longer being produced. But I actually think that some of the other brands might be better anyway.

The chia seeds could be left out, or replaced with hep hearts, or the other things listed in the previous recipes.

Most of the directions to the recipe were copied from the other recipes. I think I forgot to mention that the batter/dough (too much like a batter actually with this loaf) rose about double in the initial rise before baking. As I said, it did not rise any more, and sank slightly. But the texture was still better than what I had gotten before.

If anyone else gives it a try (remember try less water with the yeast), please let us know how yours turns out.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #409
Senior LCF Member

I see - thanks! I think I'll try this sometime this week. Thanks so much for the recipe and notes!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #410
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm, the lupino flour is no longer available at netrition? I did a search and it won't even come up!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #411
Senior LCF Member

It's still there.

Lopino Lupin Flour

I think it will be back in stock on 6/26 or thereabouts. (Read that here).
Old 06-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #412
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
no, not really. Before I ever made the BTF mix, I made an OMM with protein powder and Oat fiber, a little baking powder and egg and sweetener. I think I called it "superlow omm" This is like that, except with lupin flour and eggwhite powder, so maybe a bit of a crossover. No gluc tho. So:

2 Tbs oatfiber
2 Tbs lupin
1 Tbs eggwhite powder
1/2 tsp baking powder

liquid some combo of sf syrup and almond milk or whtever you like

flavourings as you desire: I did a pumpkin one a few posts back and added 2 Tbs pumpkin and some sf maple syrup and pumpki pie spice

today I did diced apple and cinnamon with davinci caramel syrup

cocoa powder with a wee bit of espresso powder and chocolate syrup

Lemon baking emulsion with lemon juice and powdered erythritol for frosting would be yum

y'all get the idea!
Where do you get the lemon baking emulsion?
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #413
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth2013 View Post
It's still there.

Lopino Lupin Flour

I think it will be back in stock on 6/26 or thereabouts. (Read that here).

The other night when I looked it didn't come up, which I thought was weird. It was always there before.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #414
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

To those using a smaller loaf pan, what size? (in inches please, lol).
Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeeda View Post
Where do you get the lemon baking emulsion?
I assume it is the LorAnn lemon baking emulsion. I don't have that flavor, but I do have butter vanilla. I got mine from Chef's Catalog online because I have free 2-day shipping through shoprunner from them.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 06-29-2013 at 06:14 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #416
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
sorry--i never saw this. Yes, LorAnn. Ross stores in California sell them.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #417
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Allergic Reaction?

Long story. Let me state categorically I have absolutely NO PEANUT ALLERGY. Been eating them all my life. But I think I may possibly have a sensitivity to lupin flour. It may be sheer coincidence, but the evidence I have is pretty convincing.

I baked my first recipe with lupin flour Feb 20th (I can document that because of my website). No reaction, so I thought I was OK with it. Sometime around the beginning of March, I developed a large brown to red skin patch the size of a quarter on my lower front torso. Then a week later a larger one on my right hip. Then several other smaller ones in just a couple days, and a few on my lower back even. In a few more days I had several more on my upper thighs.

I decided I needed to let a dermatologist to evaluate and I saw him on March 19th, about 1 month from the first lupin flour ingestion. He asked if I was using any new household or personal products or eating any new foods. I mentioned the lupin flour was a recent baking addition, but despite that information, he diagnosed the red patches, with a 90% certainty, as something called Purpura "lichen aureus", a very rare skin disorder with unknown etiology and no cure. In most patients, it responds well to and lightens with the application of steroid cream topically. Over the next couple months, many, many more red patches showed up, and would slowly and only stubbornly lighten up with the cream treatment, always with 4-5 new patches appearing just when the old ones would go away. Mind you, I made 3-4 new lupin flour recipes during this 2 months as well, which in retrospect, I suspect caused the "new appearances". Didn't make any connection with the lupin flour, as the skin disorder typically causes repeat, random occurrences, according to literature on it.

But I haven't baked any lupin recipes since the end of May. The patches began to not only finally become lighter and lighter (something they had been pretty resistant to) but NO NEW ONES SHOWED UP!!! As of today, I only have 1 red patch left, and no new ones in a 2-week period (pretty phenomenal really).

Coincidentally and concurrently, I started a Potato Hack for 10 days on June 17th. SlowSure on the Potato Hack thread thought perhaps that severe an elimination diet might have eliminated some food intolerance I might have been unaware of before. But then I started checking the dates of my lupin baking and realized I had just ceased baking with it in May and that just coincidentally coincided with my Potato Hack experiment.

I now think it was the lupin flour all along and that my doc has misdiagnosed this totally. If I continue to see no further eruptions of red patches, I'm going to assume this was most certainly an allergic/immune system reaction to the lupin flour. Needless to say, I will NOT be doing further experimenting with lupin flour. I'm going to have to let you other folks work with this one from here on.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
The important thing is that you found the cause of your outbreak. But I will miss your inventive mind as I wade through my pounds of lupin.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #419
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
The important thing is that you found the cause of your outbreak. But I will miss your inventive mind as I wade through my pounds of lupin.
Well said.
Ditto.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Long story. Let me state categorically I have absolutely NO PEANUT ALLERGY. Been eating them all my life. But I think I may possibly have a sensitivity to lupin flour. It may be sheer coincidence, but the evidence I have is pretty convincing.

I baked my first recipe with lupin flour Feb 20th (I can document that because of my website). No reaction, so I thought I was OK with it. Sometime around the beginning of March, I developed a large brown to red skin patch the size of a quarter on my lower front torso. Then a week later a larger one on my right hip. Then several other smaller ones in just a couple days, and a few on my lower back even. In a few more days I had several more on my upper thighs.

I decided I needed to let a dermatologist to evaluate and I saw him on March 19th, about 1 month from the first lupin flour ingestion. He asked if I was using any new household or personal products or eating any new foods. I mentioned the lupin flour was a recent baking addition, but despite that information, he diagnosed the red patches, with a 90% certainty, as something called Purpura "lichen aureus", a very rare skin disorder with unknown etiology and no cure. In most patients, it responds well to and lightens with the application of steroid cream topically. Over the next couple months, many, many more red patches showed up, and would slowly and only stubbornly lighten up with the cream treatment, always with 4-5 new patches appearing just when the old ones would go away. Mind you, I made 3-4 new lupin flour recipes during this 2 months as well, which in retrospect, I suspect caused the "new appearances". Didn't make any connection with the lupin flour, as the skin disorder typically causes repeat, random occurrences, according to literature on it.

But I haven't baked any lupin recipes since the end of May. The patches began to not only finally become lighter and lighter (something they had been pretty resistant to) but NO NEW ONES SHOWED UP!!! As of today, I only have 1 red patch left, and no new ones in a 2-week period (pretty phenomenal really).

Coincidentally and concurrently, I started a Potato Hack for 10 days on June 17th. SlowSure on the Potato Hack thread thought perhaps that severe an elimination diet might have eliminated some food intolerance I might have been unaware of before. But then I started checking the dates of my lupin baking and realized I had just ceased baking with it in May and that just coincidentally coincided with my Potato Hack experiment.

I now think it was the lupin flour all along and that my doc has misdiagnosed this totally. If I continue to see no further eruptions of red patches, I'm going to assume this was most certainly an allergic/immune system reaction to the lupin flour. Needless to say, I will NOT be doing further experimenting with lupin flour. I'm going to have to let you other folks work with this one from here on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I'm so sorry you seem to have a problem with the Lupin And I too will miss your experiments.

What, may I ask is a PotaoHack?