Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
yeah you guys!!!!!!!

I think this stuff is much better for my OMM than regular protein powder. It lends such a nice crumb and taste--and the calories still stay nice and low.

Going to make an apple one this afternoon (I eat carbs) with caramel davinci's.
are you talking about a revised version of the original recipe? If so, can you post the full revised version, what flours you used and how much?

thanks

so many changes, that I'm having trouble keeping up with what the BTF mix really is now.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #332
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
are you talking about a revised version of the original recipe? If so, can you post the full revised version, what flours you used and how much?

thanks

so many changes, that I'm having trouble keeping up with what the BTF mix really is now.
sorry have to ask again..are you making your OMM with your BTF mix? have you subbed out one of the ingredients with the lupin flour? I'm waiting til my store gets it in but I'd love to have the updated version of BTF mix if it includes lupin flour.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
yeah you guys!!!!!!!

I think this stuff is much better for my OMM than regular protein powder. It lends such a nice crumb and taste--and the calories still stay nice and low.

Going to make an apple one this afternoon (I eat carbs) with caramel davinci's.
Quote:

thanks

sorry have to ask again..are you making your OMM with your BTF mix? have you subbed out one of the ingredients with the lupin flour? I'm waiting til my store gets it in but I'd love to have the updated version of BTF mix if it includes lupin flour.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #334
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:

thanks

I'd like to know, too. Thanks, Ouiz
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #335
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
no, not really. Before I ever made the BTF mix, I made an OMM with protein powder and Oat fiber, a little baking powder and egg and sweetener. I think I called it "superlow omm" This is like that, except with lupin flour and eggwhite powder, so maybe a bit of a crossover. No gluc tho. So:

2 Tbs oatfiber
2 Tbs lupin
1 Tbs eggwhite powder
1/2 tsp baking powder

liquid some combo of sf syrup and almond milk or whtever you like

flavourings as you desire: I did a pumpkin one a few posts back and added 2 Tbs pumpkin and some sf maple syrup and pumpki pie spice

today I did diced apple and cinnamon with davinci caramel syrup

cocoa powder with a wee bit of espresso powder and chocolate syrup

Lemon baking emulsion with lemon juice and powdered erythritol for frosting would be yum

y'all get the idea!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

But, the Lupin could totally sub for the coconut flour in the BTF mix! I've done it and it is great!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #337
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Thanks!!! I'm planning a Netrition order so I will add Lupin flour to the list.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #338
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
no, not really. Before I ever made the BTF mix, I made an OMM with protein powder and Oat fiber, a little baking powder and egg and sweetener. I think I called it "superlow omm" This is like that, except with lupin flour and eggwhite powder, so maybe a bit of a crossover. No gluc tho. So:

2 Tbs oatfiber
2 Tbs lupin
1 Tbs eggwhite powder
1/2 tsp baking powder

liquid some combo of sf syrup and almond milk or whtever you like

flavourings as you desire: I did a pumpkin one a few posts back and added 2 Tbs pumpkin and some sf maple syrup and pumpki pie spice

today I did diced apple and cinnamon with davinci caramel syrup

cocoa powder with a wee bit of espresso powder and chocolate syrup

Lemon baking emulsion with lemon juice and powdered erythritol for frosting would be yum

y'all get the idea!
do you add any type of fat to the dough?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #339
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I made the bread from the chocolate chili mango blog. My loaf is bright beautiful yellow, and I love the taste and texture. I toasted a slice and it became very dry. Much better untoasted imo. I am having pimento spread on one slice and spinache dip on the other. Here are the conversions I used:

1/8 cup=15 grams
1/4 cup=30 grams
1/3 cup=40 grams
1 cup=110 grams

ETA: I set the oven at 350 degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbbw View Post
I think your conversions are off, Redeemed.

Basically:

1 tsp = 5 grams

1 Tbsp = 15 grams

2 Tbsp = 30 grams = 1 ounce

That's really all you need.

So, since 1/4 cup is 2 ounces, then that converts to 60 grams

A cup, being 8 ounces, is 240 grams.

The actual measurement varies very slightly, but you couldn't measure 58.3 grams for 1/4 cup now, could ya?

That's how I do it in my head, but if you prefer to look at tables, this one is very helpful:

Equivalents and Measures | Exploratorium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
Is this the recipe that you girls are using? Chili Choc Mango Blog?
Thank you for the Equivalents
site. I'll do the math later.
It makes a rather small loaf. Not a lot of flour used.
My flour arrived but no time today to make anything as
I roasted a turkey

Lupin Flour Bread?

Makes 1 loaf (21cm x 10cm loaf tin)

Ingredients
315 grams egg whites (or 6 large eggs)
110 grams lupin flour (I use this one)
35 grams unflavoured whey protein isolate (I used Professional Whey NZ WPI or substitute whey concentrate, or rice protein)
15 grams coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Optional Additions:
20 grams hulled hemp seeds or substitute about two tablespoons of chia, flax, pumpkin, or sesame seeds, or whatever you like.

*If you prefer to make this bread without protein powders added, simply omit the whey protein from the recipe. Substitute an extra 35 grams of lupin flour or 12 grams of coconut flour instead.

Directions
Preheat the oven to 180℃.

Grease a loaf tin lightly with coconut oil spray (or PAM) or line the tin with silicone paper, if not using a silicon mold.

Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix or whisk together until blended and the batter is smooth. The batter will be fairly thin but the whey and coconut flour will absorb a great deal of moisture during baking.

Transfer to the prepared loaf tin and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until risen and golden and a skewer, inserted into the centre, comes out clean. Do not over bake this bread or the loaf will dry out.

Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Store, well wrapped, in a freezer bag in the fridge or freezer. It will last for up to a week, stored in the refrigerator. It will last longer if you slice it and store, wrapped, in the freezer.

Lupin Protein Bread_6076_wm_1x1

Macronutrient Profile
I have included macros for both the plain and hemp seed versions, with all macros based on the ingredients as stated.

I used egg whites for this recipe, but obviously whole eggs will work extremely well. Whole eggs would also provide a host of more micronutrients and make this bread even more golden, if that is possible!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
I made another loaf last night. I tweaked it a bit too. I think I need to add more water though as the batter was much thicker than with the original and my loaf ended up cracking.

I used the original recipe but made the following changes.

used 3 eggs and the equivalent of 3 eggs of whites (next time will use all whites.)
did not use coconut flour, used 40 grams of Oat Fiber instead.
used 20 grams of hemp seeds.
used 10 grams of nutritional yeast.
4 tbsp of water.
increased baking powder to 1 tsp to try and get it to rise higher.

I found that this loaf came out moister, but that might be since I'm not sure if I baked it long enough. I forgot to turn on the timer!

I'm happy with the rise I got, but I think it would have risen more if I used more water. The batter was thicker than the original version. The taste is nice and at 47 calories a slice with almost 8 grams of protein it's a fantastic loaf for me. I like the density of the lupin flour as it really fills me up.

Going to attempt a buffalo chicken grilled cheese sandwich tonight for dinner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
Here is the link to the original recipe.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16250309

Not sure if this will work or not, but I made a note with my revised recipe on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/yasme...51380034325894
OK I made Yaz's recipe the other day figuring out the grams to cups conversion best I could (and using my scales not the conversion tables above, as different flours (or other ingredients weigh differently, so how can you really use a table?). But I'm not sure if I used anywhere near the same equivalents as she did! Again my bread did not rise, and this time I realized I had had SOME rise last time (I made Peggy's), but this time if it rose at all, it was even less, VERY dense.
So I decided well maybe I do need new baking powder, so bought more this week. Tonight I was goin to make it again, but was worried my measurement sere way off too.
Did more research, looked at label on Lupin flour, weighed my cups, then the flour (all of which I had done before, and tho it really didn't make sense before proceded anyway). Well tonight I'm still VERY confused. The Lupin info says 1/4 cup is 30 g. When I weigh mine (after setting to take of the weight of the cup) I get 20 g & that is packing it, and maybe a little heaped!!!
I used 1 1/4 cups lupin before!! (because that is what kept coming up with for my weights) Is that too much?
I also had to try to figure the oat fiber, and the whey protein. My amounts just seem like they might not be right. .... I also kinda thought later that I didn't have enough liquid.

Here is what I used with some tweaks:
2 Tablespoons Powdered Egg Whites
1 1/4 cups Lupin Flour -- (145g)
3/4 cup Oat Fiber
1 cup Whey Protein Powder
2 tablespoons chia seeds, ground
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/8 tsp Salt -- * - just a dash
1/2 tsp Glucomannan -- - optional
2 tsp Nutritional Yeast -- - optional
1 cup Water -- + 2 tbsp (add more if needed, which it seems I will)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vinegar -- Optional (Not sure if I used a tsp vinegar??)
I do think I need more liquid.
But does anyone know if those amounts seem anywhere near correct?
Yaz, do you know how much you used in cups?

I wanted to make this today, but I'm afraid to try again till I can figure out if I have the correct amounts.

I prefer to make the/a version without the cheese in it, or I would probably try Peggy's again, with the new baking pwd, and smaller pan. (Oh, I did use a different pan for Yaz's.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #340
Major LCF Poster!

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ Anybody got any suggestions for me??? ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

I'm at a loss now!!

Odd, I can't even find the bread recipes over at the flour site now. Or the chocolate cookies either. Thankfully I've got the cookie recipe saved. I'm not a huge cookie fan (nor do I really like to bake cookies much), these are quite good, and make a good chocolate cookie crust for other desserts.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #341
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Yaz, do you know how much you used in cups?

I wanted to make this today, but I'm afraid to try again till I can figure out if I have the correct amounts.

I prefer to make the/a version without the cheese in it, or I would probably try Peggy's again, with the new baking pwd, and smaller pan. (Oh, I did use a different pan for Yaz's.
Sorry Billie, I don't use my measuring cups as they are just cheap ones from the dollar store and I prefer to get accurate measurements using a digital kitchen scale.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for your reply Yaz!
I was afraid you'd say that. But tho I have thought my scales to be pretty accurate, I seem to NOT be coming up with good porportions.
As I said before, the label on the flour sayd 1/4 cup = 30 grams, but when I measure it, I only get 20. I've even tried packing the cup (and think I've used a couple different cups) or slightly rounding it, but it never comes up to 30g. I really don't think my scales are that off, but maybe!! If so, then I guess I need new scales. UGH, those things are not cheap! Most things I've measured with them seem to come out pretty accurate tho, so I'm really confused!!!

I've been afraid to try again till I can try to come up with a better idea of the amounts. I have even bout new baking powder to try to make sure it will rise (in case that WAS the problem, which I'm beginning to think it was).
So since the bread came out pretty good other than it didn't rise, maybe I should take a go at it. But I sure hate to waste that many ingredients yet again! (They weren't actually totally wasted, as I've used the breads, they just weren't as enjoyable as they should have been.)
Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #343
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Thanks for your reply Yaz!
I was afraid you'd say that. But tho I have thought my scales to be pretty accurate, I seem to NOT be coming up with good porportions.
As I said before, the label on the flour sayd 1/4 cup = 30 grams, but when I measure it, I only get 20. I've even tried packing the cup (and think I've used a couple different cups) or slightly rounding it, but it never comes up to 30g. I really don't think my scales are that off, but maybe!! If so, then I guess I need new scales. UGH, those things are not cheap! Most things I've measured with them seem to come out pretty accurate tho, so I'm really confused!!!

I've been afraid to try again till I can try to come up with a better idea of the amounts. I have even bout new baking powder to try to make sure it will rise (in case that WAS the problem, which I'm beginning to think it was).
So since the bread came out pretty good other than it didn't rise, maybe I should take a go at it. But I sure hate to waste that many ingredients yet again! (They weren't actually totally wasted, as I've used the breads, they just weren't as enjoyable as they should have been.)

I buy the starfrit scales when they go on sale which is quite often. I have the basic model with is usually around $29.99 at Canadian Tire, but they go on sale a couple times a year for $9.99 so I always grab an extra one when they do.

What protein powder are you using? That could have an effect. I notice that in my baking, when I use whey protein is makes things rise higher and gives a drier crumb than using Pea protein. Different brands protein powder will result in different outcomes as well.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #344
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Is the pea protein you are using the Now brand or a different brand?
Thanks.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #345
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks again Yaz. I am not quite ready to invest in new scales yet. Tho if I could find some good ones for $9.99 I just might! Of course there is no Canadian Tire here. I can't remember seeing any good scales for under about the $30 around here (or even anywhere online).
If I remember correctly, I used a combo of whey proteins (both of which I've used in baking)...... One is Natural Grocers unflavored (maybe the only one I used. ... The other is Designer Whey (vanilla)... I'm thinking I may have only used the NG or maybe Biochem unflavored protein pwd.
But I really don't think in this case it was the protein pwds. I think in fact my baking pwd HAD gone bad.

But I'm still left with the problem of having any idea how much of the Lupin (or for that matter the other "flours") to use.
I have just been in measuring again, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up & buy new scales. Mine seem to have gone bad. I came up with all kinds of readings, including having a bowl of flour and it measuring NOTHING! I even changed the battery, and same thing. Soooo,,,, no use trying to weigh anything till I get new scales.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #346
Major LCF Poster!

Went shopping on Amazon this afternoon/evening, and have ordered a new set of digital scales. Sure hope they are as good as Most of the reviews said. The dimensions they stated were a bit bigger than I'd have liked, but the only place they stated the dimensions was in an area that I think usually include some packaging seems like. They may actually not be quite that big. Hope that is the case. If not,,, I'll have to deal with it!
If in deed they are a good set of scales, they will be much better than the ones I had, as they go from 1 gram (others started at 2) up to 13#s. I think my others only went up to 5.5. I'd always wished they would weigh higher, and just recently wished they weigh items that were less.
Course it will probably be about a week (or so) before I get them in. So,,,, guess I won't be baking the loaf of bread for awhile. But maybe with them, I can get more accuracy. I HOPE!!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #347
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Good luck Billie! I hope the new scales solves your problem.

My el cheapo scale starts at 1 gram.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #348
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Yaz!! Me too.
I ended up getting this one for $17 (rounded off) (free shipping). Yay! They are supposed to sell for $30 (rounded off). So that isn't too bad as long as they work well. The one common complaint for them is that they don't register very quickly. That does bother me a little, but hopefully won't really be an issue. They are American Weigh scales.
I had never even realized (or had forgotten) that the old scales only went down to 2g before, and wouldn't weigh under that. Then the other day, I was wanting to weigh something less, and of course it still said 2g.
Hopefully by the end of next week (or the first of the next), I'll have them, and can start trying this out again!!
Well, guess I need to stop thereadjacking this thread with my scales.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #349
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Billie do you use pea protein? If so, which brand?
Thanks.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #350
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Billie do you use pea protein? If so, which brand?
Thanks.
Judy, I've never used it. I started to order some when doing an order for vitamins, etc on a site just a little while back (think I said on here I was gonna order), but they were out of stock, so didn't get any. I don't even remember the brand.
Just a few minutes ago, I looked "it" up on Netrition, and found one (unflavored) that I thought I'd try, and put it in my cart, but haven't come up with an order yet. Not sure when I will.
Sorry, can't help ya! But what I'm lookin at on Netrition is: Growing Naturals Raw Yellow Pea Protein Powder, Original

Anybody use this brand. The only other 1 they have is
Naturade Pea Protein Powder, and it only comes in vanilla, so opted for the Growing Naturals one since my mail use will probably be for baking.

Hmmmmm, ,,, came back to edit, and add that they DO carry another (the NOW brand you asked about above), but when I did a search before it didn't show up! Guess because of the way I put the words in.

Now I'm interested to know if others use the NOW brand also!!

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 05-03-2013 at 09:03 AM..
Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
Figured out where to get it.

Last edited by Izzysdream; 05-03-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #352
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Hmmmm...I'm in Texas and Fooducopia shipped to me.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #353
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Peggy I'm sorry if I've already asked you this - do you use pea protein powder?
If so - which kind?

Thank you.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #354
Major LCF Poster!

Foodcopia does charge a pretty stiff shipping fee unless you buy at least $30. That's why a lot of us bought 9 - 12 bags of the Lupin. Then shipping is free. (That seems to be somewhat new (within the last month or 2).
I'm sure Netrition will be getting it back in soon.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #355
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Judy, I do not use it and am not sure I want to go that route. A little voice in my head tells me I shouldn't be eating a flour made from peas, a food I'm not supposed to be eating. But lupins are legumes, so using that argument, that's really no better. But it's the main reason I'm not doing so much experimenting with lupin flour either. I don't want to OD on peas OR beans or I'll never get to goal. It's been a very long, extremely slow journey to goal for me. Sure don't want to slow it down even more.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #356
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hear you - and thank you for that well-considered response.
I considered buying it a few months ago - I'm sure I asked then and am not able to find the response but... I am only a few pounds from goal and I think I have every low carb flour and thingamajig available.... until the next thing comes around.
I think I'll let this lie as well.

Thanks again.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #357
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I like my pea protein powder, and it is lowcarb. I use the NOW PP. It is 1 g carb and 28 g protein per scoop.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #358
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I probably will try it out one day Ouiz, as it is soooo low-carb. But I need to use up some of the 9 bags of lupin flour I bought before investing in yet another new flour sub. My hubby already feels what I currently have is "taking over" the kitchen, freezer and pantry.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #359
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ouizoid, thank you (again).
I'm sure you answered me before.
I promise to make a note of it this time when/if I decide to buy...
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #360
Major LCF Poster!

I appreciate the reply on the PP too Ouiz, as I'm considering buying some someday!! I had put the Growing Naturals Raw Yellow Pea Protein Powder, Original in my Netrition cart, as I didn't even find the NOW in my search there. I've found it now tho. I'm just not ready to make a Netrition order right now.
One of the brands I had looked at stated it had O net carbs (1 total - 1 fiber) but it was more expensive, and if you like the NOW then that is what I'm sure I'll go with. NOW seems to be a good brand. I've bought a lot of NOW products thru the years, and been happy with them. Wish they hadn't stopped producing their Calcium Caseinate pwd. Guess there just wasn't enough call for it.
I just looked & it was the that had the 0 net carbs. It is almost twice the price of the NOW!!!