Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #271
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
slighty OT but I love pigeon peas with coconut milk and shredded coconut in Rice & Peas...haven't had that in forever...now I want some
Yes rice and peas was one of my old carb faves. Rice is the one thing I truly miss. Today I decided to make faux rice with my lupin bread. Of course the texture is nothing like rice, but the flavor profile is definitely there!
So the same soup base for making pea soup is used to make a stew (Stewed Peas) that is eaten with rice.

So today I decided to make lupin stew and "rice". I made a microwave bread and crumbled it up and poured the soup on top to give me faux stewed peas and rice. For the bread, I subbed the buttermilk that I have been using with coconut milk, added garlic powder, a tiny bit of grated ginger and 1 tsp of fresh thyme to the mix. Closest thing to rice and peas or stew peas and rice I've had in a long time.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Interesting, Tulips.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Mail ran,,,, No Lupin flour!!! BOO!!! Somehow tho, I'm not surprised!
No experimenting yet!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Re: yeast leavened breads and sugar.......yeast doesn't actually need sugar to grow and make your dough rise, it just makes the process quicker. So you can make bread without any sugar at all, but the rise will just take longer.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #275
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
My best "looking" loaf so far! :)

I haven't tasted it yet so I won't post the modifications until I know it's palatable.

I found smaller metal loaf pans and used that this time instead of the silicone. I think it helped with my wonky rise issue. I also took the spatula and made an indentation down the center of the wet loaf and this helped with the cracking as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130404_214231.jpg (26.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20130404_214605.jpg (88.6 KB, 33 views)
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

It certainly looks pretty Yaz! Hope it tastes as good as it looks. (I can see the caraway seeds, so I know I wouldn't like it, but that's because of the seeds.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Looks awesome
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

UPDATE:
OK so I made Peggy's Lupin bread (from her blog, may be slightly different from the one here) this evening. It was a flop. I used a pan which was too wide, and I don't think it even rose. If it did, it sure didn't rises much. By loaf of bread ended up about 1 1/2" high!! I knew when I poured it into the pan, that I should switch it over to another one I had, which is silicone, but not as wide, so it would have been at least a little taller. But I hoped it would rise some at least. I really don't think it did. And I remembered that Yaz said she thought her silicone pan was causing her wonky top. Well, hind site behind me, I would prefer the wonky top to what I ended up with.
That being said, it isn't bad tasting, except it is too salty. And I cut back on the salt in the recipe. BUT, I did add nutritional yeast (abt 2 TBsp). And it tends to make things kinda salty too. That is why I cut back on the salt by abt 1/2 or more.
I ended up cutting the loaf int0 1/4s (wish now I'd done it in 1/3s), and then using my meat slicer to cut that latterly into 3 or 4 slices (some I did 3 some 4 moving my slice thickness. I got about 16 slices, but they are very small slices. They'll be OK for toast with my breakfast, and I can make small "loaded" sandwiches. I have some ham left over from Easter, which I can make sandwiches with, and maybe some burgers. They won't have a lot of bread, but at least they'll have some! OH, and I also set my timer for 30 min, but then went into the other room, where I thought I could hear the timer, but NOOOOO, I didn't hear it! When I finally thought to go check it, it was PRETTY BROWN! thankful that I checked it when I did. It wasn't so burned that I can't eat it. Sure didn't smell good tho!
Still not sure why it didn't rise.
Well, after a bit, then I found my recipe, gathered my ingredients (sort of), and started making the cookies. I say sort of, cause as is typical for me, I realized I didn't have all the ingredients gathered up. So had to chase those down, and try to figure my sugar subs out (as I was making it).
Well, just as I got all the dry ingredients in the bowl, and the chocolate melted, I realized this was not the cookie (or bar) I had actually intended to make. It was the one I mentioned earlier about making, but not what i really wanted to make! I wanted to make the bars on the Netrition site! (Subing the sweetener out!) OH well, I'd already gotten way too far to turn back, so I finished them (finally). I only did 1/2 batch, cause I wanted to be sure they'd turn out OK, but I used the full amount of cocoa (twice as much as the recipe would have been). I recommend doubling the cocoa in this recipe as was said in an earlier post. My cookes were kinda small, but they turned out good. I'm pleased with them. I don't think I would have been near as pleased had I only used 1 TBsp cocoa instead of the 2. I do think maybe next time (and there probably will be sometime) I'll use 1/2 reg & 1/2 special dark cocoa. But these are good. I got 16 smallish cookies from the 1/2 batch.
THEN, I started to make my evening (very late tonight) glass of what I call my vitamin/fiber cocktail. I have several vitamins, etc which are mixed in water, rather than in pill form, and I usually use part aloe juice, part water, and mix those along with some fibers. Well, just as I got it almost all mixed up, I turned it over, and spilt it almost all out, all over my counter, and cookbook I had sitting there. (Not by any means the first time I've done this.) So there went all those vitamins, etc, and what a mess. And I'm already tired.
Now on to the next kitchen disaster!! (Tho the cookies really weren't) I had put on a pitcher of tea. I have an iced tea maker which makes a gallon. I had poured that up into my gallon tea jug. I started to the fridge with it, got almost there, and dropped it! Spilt almost the whole gallon in the floor!! That would have been bad enough in itself, but the people who built this house put carpet down in the kitchen! I've hated it since I've been here, but we just haven't pulled it up & replaced it. So there I was, nearly a gallon of tea in the carpet. Got towels as quickly as I could, but they can only soak up so much. What a mess. UGH! And it's late, and I really didn't/don't feel like doing much with it. I just have towels, etc thrown down all over it, trying to soak up what I can. Think it's about time to go to bed. Sounds like a good time to do the old saying,,,, "go to bed & cover up my head".
Nuff "sperimentin" for one day!
Nite all!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:39 AM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
You poor thing. What a mess! When I start having one disaster after another, I agree with you, it's time to get out of the kitchen.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Billie!
What an evening!

And I've had them, too... WAY too often!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #281
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmmm. How odd your bread didn't rise, Billie. I'm so sorry, as I've spent the day in the kitchen before only to have stuff fail inexplicably. So demoralizing, too. Of course a wider loaf pan would cause it not to look as high as mine. You did put both the baking soda and baking powder in it, I assume? Leaving one or the other out would have caused that to happen possibly. If you added both, I wonder if one or the other might not be getting old and need replacing? They say they can lose their leavening strength at a certain point (I'm not sure what that length of time is, however, Billie)
Old 04-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
6 months according to Cooks Illustrated.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Soobee. I was thinking it was 1 year. I'll have to remember that.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
You poor thing. What a mess! When I start having one disaster after another, I agree with you, it's time to get out of the kitchen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Billie!
What an evening!

And I've had them, too... WAY too often!
Thanks you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Hmmmm. How odd your bread didn't rise, Billie. I'm so sorry, as I've spent the day in the kitchen before only to have stuff fail inexplicably. So demoralizing, too. Of course a wider loaf pan would cause it not to look as high as mine. You did put both the baking soda and baking powder in it, I assume? Leaving one or the other out would have caused that to happen possibly. If you added both, I wonder if one or the other might not be getting old and need replacing? They say they can lose their leavening strength at a certain point (I'm not sure what that length of time is, however, Billie)
Yes, I used both Peggy, tho I wondered why the baking soda, but I did go ahead and use it. (Used them both!) And I've been using them, and they've been working fine in everything else! So,,, I don-no!

I knew I would get a shorter (height) loaf in that pan, but I did expect some rise! I really don't think it did, or not a noticeable amount anyway.
Next time I make a loaf, yours or another, I'll use the more narrow silicone pan. I won't be adding the Nutritional yeast again either, or at least a LOT less if I do! I think I mainly used too much. And it did contribute to the saltiness. And it (my loaf) is very salty!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've never used nutritional yeast before so I can't comment on that item. I'm glad to learn before trying NY that it contributes to salty taste. I'm very salt sensitive and almost always halve the salt in recipes because of that. I don't recall this bread tasting particularly salty to me. And I've just been eating it warm with butter (unsalted butter is all I buy). We ate the last few pieces with pork chops this week and it made a great cornbread sub. My loaf pan is 3" tall and my loaf mounded slightly above the top of the pan.

Pic of mine is on pg 8 post #240 for those who didn't see it.

Last edited by buttoni; 04-06-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Old 04-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

I really don't think the Nutritional Yeast had anything to do with the rise/non rise, but it did probably contribute to the saltiness. Mine is so salty I can barely eat it. I too am very salt sensitive. And I will also cut way back on the salt in recipes, sometimes even leaving it out. I almost left what little I put in this out, but decided it might need at least a little. I put in 2 TBsp of the NY, which was way too much, taste wise, and salty wise. IF I add any again, I'll probably only add maybe a 1sp, at least no more than 1 TBsp. I've added a little to my bread when making your chia bread recipes before. Then I usually cut back on the salt.
I'm stumped. Might have been the baking pwd, but I don't think so. Not having problems with it in anything else. (and tho I've heard that baking powder can get too weak, I've never heard that of soda.)
I had gotten to thinking this morning that maybe I only used 1/2 the amount of those (getting the wrong measuring spoon), but no, I had the right spoon.
I'm here by myself right now, so I'll be eating this for a while before I bake any more! I need to put part of this in the freezer.
Thanks for trying to help me figure this rise out. At any rate, with this batch what's done is done. Next loaf I make (which ever recipe) I'll make in the narrower silicone pan.
I had a little sandwich with some of this for dinner today. (just cut the meat in 1/2, and doubled it. I added some spinach & onion. Should have had cheese too, but didn't think about it. And I had a couple of pieces toasted with breakfast too. My pieces are about the size of biscotti. (Maybe just a little wider?)
My cookies are quite good. The kosher salt in them, tends to give them a sweet/salty taste. I used quite a bit of Erythritol in them, and they do have a slight cooling effect, but I like it. Sometimes I detect the cooling effect with the E, sometimes not at all. I do think I need the double cocoa powder. Don't think I would have been happy with the amount called for in the recipe. When these are gone, I think I'll make the bars that i had intended to make.
Too many recipes, too little time and carbability!!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You know, Billie, if it's not real good to eat as bread because it's so dense, what I usually do with failed bread tests is put them in the freezer to make a batch of stuffing with, along with low-carb leftover biscuits and savory muffins. It's always proven to be a great way to use it up so the ingredients aren't wasted and compliments the next baked chicken or pork chops nicely. Or sometimes I'll make it up into breadcrumbs for a variety of cooking uses.

I'm not too in to the chemist of food, but Ouizoid is! You might run this by her in a PM. I wonder if she thinks the nutritional yeast possibly could have interacted chemically with the BP and BS and "killed" the action of those leavening agents. I'm just so ignorant of nutritional yeast. I'm just totally baffled at your bread not rising at all really.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #288
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

I put Nutritional yeast in the loaves I've baked and it hasn't affected the rise in mine. But I'm only using 10 grams which if I eyeball it is less than 1 tbsp I would guess.

My last loaf turned out quite nice. I used a combo of Pea and Whey Protein which resulted in a very moist loaf. Next time I'm going to try using just whey again and see if I can make a dryer loaf.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Peggy, and Yaz!
I really didn't think it was caused by the NY either, as I have put it in breads before too, and it didn't seem to curb the rising. AND Yaz had said she used it in her loaves. (That's what gave me the idea.)
Yes, mine is pretty dense! But tho I may put some up for "stuffing", I probably won't need it till November. I just am not a stuffing person, and actually do dressing rather than stuffing, but same thoughts. And I just rarely ever use bread crumbs in anything. That would be a LONG time to keep it for dressing for Thanksgiving turkey!!! Even in a food saver bag!
So, I'll probably just eat it. It really wasn't too bad as toast for breakfast. I know it's not your liking in toast, but I thought it was pretty good. Was pretty dense as bread for my sandwich tho. But I may do that some more too.
It actually may have risen slightly, tho I didn't think it did. But it isn't as dense as it should be to not have risen any! It must have risen some! My pan was just way too wide! I kick myself, cause I knew it was, and used it anyway.
I probably did some other things which I'm not thinking of to cause the problem too.
Next loaf will be a new experiment!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
If you decide to make bread crumbs, mix with can parmesan for a great baked chicken parmesan dish. Just a thought...

This thread is very interesting.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
If you decide to make bread crumbs, mix with can parmesan for a great baked chicken parmesan dish. Just a thought...

This thread is very interesting.
I DON'T do Parmesan cheese!!
But thanks anyway Nigel!

If it were only me who lived here, it wouldn't even be in my house! But my hubby likes it as does some of the rest of the family (the rest only visit, but since hubby likes it, I keep it, and they can use it when they''re here if hey want it). If it weren't for him, they'd have to do without when they came.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Apparently Lupin are also very GOOD for you (not just super low-carb): WAIMR - 2010.08.30 WA 'Diabesity' Research Centre to Feature on Brazilian TV

But never lose sight of the allergen potential in lupin beans if you have a peanut allergy: [excerpted from MNT(Medical News Today)]

Lupin allergy
Lupins are common garden plants, which are related to legumes such as peas, lentils and beans. Many types of lupin seed are poisonous, because they contain bitter-tasting toxins. But sweet lupins don't contain these toxins and they can be eaten by humans or livestock. Sweet lupin seeds are being used more and more to replace cereal grain in many food products, for example flour and pasta.

Allergy to lupin has been recognised for some time in mainland Europe, where lupin flour is used widely in food products. This type of allergy only seems to have started emerging in the UK quite recently, which is probably because lupin is used quite rarely in food products and hasn't been used for as long as in mainland Europe. Lupin allergy can cause severe reactions, including anaphylaxis, but there have been very few confirmed reports of lupin allergy in the UK so far.

The major allergens in lupin are also found in peanut, so people who are allergic to peanuts could react to lupin. The Anaphylaxis Campaign in the UK has advised people with peanut allergy to avoid lupin. It's mainly used in flour-based products such as pastry.

Last edited by buttoni; 04-08-2013 at 06:52 AM..
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
Thanks for posting that. I really do find that lupin aids in suppressing my appetite. Another great thing I love about this product.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #294
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
I really don't think the Nutritional Yeast had anything to do with the rise/non rise, but it did probably contribute to the saltiness. Mine is so salty I can barely eat it. I too am very salt sensitive. And I will also cut way back on the salt in recipes, sometimes even leaving it out. I almost left what little I put in this out, but decided it might need at least a little. I put in 2 TBsp of the NY, which was way too much, taste wise, and salty wise. IF I add any again, I'll probably only add maybe a 1sp, at least no more than 1 TBsp. I've added a little to my bread when making your chia bread recipes before. Then I usually cut back on the salt.
I'm stumped. Might have been the baking pwd, but I don't think so. Not having problems with it in anything else. (and tho I've heard that baking powder can get too weak, I've never heard that of soda.)
I had gotten to thinking this morning that maybe I only used 1/2 the amount of those (getting the wrong measuring spoon), but no, I had the right spoon.
I'm here by myself right now, so I'll be eating this for a while before I bake any more! I need to put part of this in the freezer.
Thanks for trying to help me figure this rise out. At any rate, with this batch what's done is done. Next loaf I make (which ever recipe) I'll make in the narrower silicone pan.
I had a little sandwich with some of this for dinner today. (just cut the meat in 1/2, and doubled it. I added some spinach & onion. Should have had cheese too, but didn't think about it. And I had a couple of pieces toasted with breakfast too. My pieces are about the size of biscotti. (Maybe just a little wider?)
My cookies are quite good. The kosher salt in them, tends to give them a sweet/salty taste. I used quite a bit of Erythritol in them, and they do have a slight cooling effect, but I like it. Sometimes I detect the cooling effect with the E, sometimes not at all. I do think I need the double cocoa powder. Don't think I would have been happy with the amount called for in the recipe. When these are gone, I think I'll make the bars that i had intended to make.
Too many recipes, too little time and carbability!!

maybe you can cut it into cubes and toast with garlic oil in the oven to make salad croutons. Then you could eat it a bit at a time.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
maybe you can cut it into cubes and toast with garlic oil in the oven to make salad croutons. Then you could eat it a bit at a time.
Good idea IF I liked croûtons in my salad. I'm really not crazy about them. Thanks anyway!!

I'm about to decide to put it in the freezer tho (I may come up with something I want it for someday), and try baking another loaf soon. May try one of the other recipes that's been posted. And I WILL use a narrower pan this time!! I love this pan for making my Kevin's Carbalose #4 bread, but I'm staying away from it right now.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #296
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
"Sweet lupin seeds are being used more and more to replace cereal grain in many food products, for example flour and pasta."

PASTA??!! Anyone know whether Lupin flour needs to be mixed with wheat flour to make pasta, or can it be made just with LP? Perhaps mixed with whey or pea protein? Any thoughts?
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
"I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested but unfortunately, it uses2 obscure ingredients that most probably might not be able to find unless you have an ethnic grocery that carries Caribbean foods. I made it like a traditional Jamaican pea soup that uses salted pig tails, and scotch bonnet peppers."

I'd love to see the recipe. Might have to sub some things (scotch bonnets scare me!), but it would be great to see. Do you think a ham hock would work in place of the salted pig's tail?

Last edited by Jakelilydad; 04-13-2013 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: didn't copy original post
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #298
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelilydad View Post
"Sweet lupin seeds are being used more and more to replace cereal grain in many food products, for example flour and pasta."

PASTA??!! Anyone know whether Lupin flour needs to be mixed with wheat flour to make pasta, or can it be made just with LP? Perhaps mixed with whey or pea protein? Any thoughts?
I added lupin flour to Buttoni's dumpling recipe and made fettucineish pasta. It turned out quite nice.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #299
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jake, I would think all lupin flour would not be so good, because I think it has a slight "bean" taste. Mixing it with other flour subs ameliorates that taste, and I suspect that's why folks mix it. But hey, I haven't tried all lupin flour, so who am I to say? Just guessing there. I do know it's gonna make your end product REALLY bright yellow in color with no other "flours" to tone that color down a bit.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
I added lupin flour to Buttoni's dumpling recipe and made fettucineish pasta. It turned out quite nice.
did you post your recipe anywhere? like here? with the revised ingredients/amounts?

my local LC store will be getting some lupin flour hopefully soon so I'm dying to try to make my own pasta so if you could post what you did and how much LF you used, that would be great.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote