Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Inulin?

I have a container of Now Brand Inulin in my cabinet and I can't (for the life of me) remember why I bought it... Although I'm certain it was for a specific recipe, I have no clue what it was.

So...does anyone use inulin and if so, how do you use it and how much do you use?

RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I got it because of information that it's good for diabetes, but I have since come to think that's NOT true and it actually has more carbs in it than the label implies. This is like a sugar alcohol, where they SAY it doesn't get processed like sugar, but for many of us that's not true. It's used as a sweetener in a lot of those low carb bars that can be so problematic.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I got it because of information that it's good for diabetes, but I have since come to think that's NOT true and it actually has more carbs in it than the label implies. This is like a sugar alcohol, where they SAY it doesn't get processed like sugar, but for many of us that's not true. It's used as a sweetener in a lot of those low carb bars that can be so problematic.
Thanks for the reply. I really just can't remember what I purchased it for, but I'm thinking it probably had to do with combining it in a sweetener. I'm concerned that although I don't react to sugar alcohols in a negative way, if this is anything like poly-dextrose, then I'm definitely in trouble...that stuff sends me scurrying to the bathroom in pronto fashion!

Oh well...if I can't figure it out, I may have to experiment...ughh...!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
RVcook -- I, too, have an unopened container of inulin in my cabinet and have no clue what purpose it came to my kitchen to serve. LOL. Hoping you can figure it out. I may have bought it to play with blending it with tagatose. . . always trying to get that cup for cup sugar perfect sugar replacement. But I doubt I would have been that brave to be the first one.

Sorry this isn't such a helpful post. But I didn't want your inulin to feel lonely.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
RVcook -- I, too, have an unopened container of inulin in my cabinet and have no clue what purpose it came to my kitchen to serve. LOL. Hoping you can figure it out. I may have bought it to play with blending it with tagatose. . . always trying to get that cup for cup sugar perfect sugar replacement. But I doubt I would have been that brave to be the first one.

Sorry this isn't such a helpful post. But I didn't want your inulin to feel lonely.
...Oh yes, my inulin is definitely lonely since I just can't figure out what I bought it for....

At one time, I was thinking that I wanted to replace Diabetisweet, one of the ingredients in my Shuga~Blend because of the Ace-K that it contains. I don't know why I just didn't buy isomalt and heighten the sweetness with Stevia, so I'm at a loss.

Regardless; even though I'm not that crazy about experimenting, I think I'm going to be forced to in this case. I've dumped so many 'specialty' low carb ingredients, I just don't want to do that with a perfectly fresh bottle. I guess I'll just have to figure it out on my own.

Thanks for your reply

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Callieco
Start Date: 020110
I bought Inulin because I read that if you mix it 50/50 with Erythritol it will eliminate the minty, cooling effect- which it does. The problem was I used it in cookies made with Ouizoid's mix - which makes great cookie texture with erythritol on it's own - but the inulin made them so soft and mushy that I didn't like them. I haven't tried using it for anything else since I found Swerve. Might work better for a cake or something that has a soft texture.
Callieco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callieco View Post
I bought Inulin because I read that if you mix it 50/50 with Erythritol it will eliminate the minty, cooling effect- which it does. The problem was I used it in cookies made with Ouizoid's mix - which makes great cookie texture with erythritol on it's own - but the inulin made them so soft and mushy that I didn't like them. I haven't tried using it for anything else since I found Swerve. Might work better for a cake or something that has a soft texture.
I also read that...I think it has something to do with the amount of fiber. There is inulin in my Wisdom brand Stevia and I suspect that it is probably of a ratio of 90:10.

From your post, it would seem that using the inulin blend in cookies is similar to using honey instead of regular sugar. The honey just makes them soft and the inulin appears to do the same thing. Well, at least you tried it and now I know that attempting to do anything more than 50% probably won't work.

Thanks for your explanation. It really helped me to understand its properties.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
You may also want to use for chocolate desserts. Chocoperfection is sweetened with inulin I believe.
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I need this info.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
For ME, inulin = polydextrose. Even a small amount causes my husband and cats to leave the room where I am located.

Even trying to ease into it with very small amounts didn't seem to help!

YMMV of course, just a friendly warning if you're not used to it!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Charski you answered a lot of questions . I thought it was something else.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
Gadget Gal

It's a fiber, Essy, like polyD - and my guts just cannot tolerate either of those!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
Stats: 151/145/140
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
It's a fiber, Essy, like polyD - and my guts just cannot tolerate either of those!
Oh, I so wish I would have known this before purchasing the polyD for a few recipes in which I saw it as an ingredient (and I swore I would remember which ones ). I cannot tolerate anything that has inulin (chickory root fiber) in the ingredients, and they are putting it in everything nowaways, including packaged breads and cereals, and all supposed "healthy" packaged items. I feel so much better eating natural low carb foods. I should have done more research before making a wasted purchase.
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
Gadget Gal

Mari, you might tolerate the polyD fine - I just can't, nor inulin. As far as I KNOW there isn't any inulin IN the polyD, but I haven't checked it lately.

Start with a very small amount though!

I started with Aunt Ruth's pecan cake, I think it was called, which had I think 2 cups of polyD in it - and was baked in a big cast iron skillet and was DELICIOUS and ooey-gooey - but oh MAN was I sorry a short while later, as were all other breathing creatures within 20 feet of me!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Charski. She's right I use it in cookies and baking but only a 1/4 c. or less . I won't be using inulin.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: THELOU
Start Date: November 1998
I think Kevin had experimented with inulin. He's the only one I remember talking about it. It maybe that they explained what it was.
THELOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
Stats: 151/145/140
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Mari, you might tolerate the polyD fine - I just can't, nor inulin. As far as I KNOW there isn't any inulin IN the polyD, but I haven't checked it lately.

Start with a very small amount though!

I started with Aunt Ruth's pecan cake, I think it was called, which had I think 2 cups of polyD in it - and was baked in a big cast iron skillet and was DELICIOUS and ooey-gooey - but oh MAN was I sorry a short while later, as were all other breathing creatures within 20 feet of me!
Ohhh, that's a lot! I will be careful and start with a small amount. I did the same thing with brown sugar Diabetisweet, which is isomalt. A small amount in a recipe is fine, but for some reason, the recipe I used called for quite a bit, and I did pay for it!
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/127.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
For ME, inulin = polydextrose. Even a small amount causes my husband and cats to leave the room where I am located.

shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote