Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Pineapple-Coconut Ice Cream

I'm hoping I've finally goat a blend that will not get too hard in the freezer. I've been trying long enough.
This is the first ice cream made with artificial sweeteners that hasn’t gotten too hard in the freezer. I’ve experimented and been disappointed many times, adding things like more egg yolks, gums, xanthan gum and glycerine. But after they are in the freezer for a few hours, they get hard as a brick. Real sugar retards this tendency, but low-carbers don’t eat real sugar!

This time I added just the fruit, a wee bit of xanthan gum and some Triple Sec (an orange flavored liqueur used in Margaritas). But it could have been rum, bourbon, amaretto, or any alcohol you like). Alcohol is known to ****** freezing, and it would appear THAT was what I had not yet tried that renders a softer ice cream. Alcohol adds carbs, but you have to pay that price to ****** that “frozen brick” issue.

The pictured ice cream was in my chest freezer an additional 2 hours after I transferred if from my ice-cream maker to a freezer container. As you can see, it was plenty firm to scoop yet not a “brick”. And this blend has a delightful flavor! I love pineapple and coconut together!! I could barely taste the Triple Sec though, so I may use rum next time. This recipe is not suitable until the higher carb fruits rung of the Owl ladder (unless you leave out the pineapple and just make coconut ice cream. This is not suitable (as written) for Paleo-Primal diners.

INGREDIENTS:

16 oz. unsweetened coconut cream (I use Wilderness Family Naturals)
8 oz. (1 c.) heavy cream
˝ c. unsweetened coconut
˝ c. crushed pineapple, (water pack) drained
˝ tsp. pineapple extract
˝ tsp. coconut extract (I use Coconutti brand)
1 T. vanilla DaVinci sugar-free syrup (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
2 pkts. stevia (I use Sweet Leaf)
2 T. Triple Sec liqueur (or alcohol of your choice)
1/8 tsp. xanthan gum

DIRECTIONS: Place coconut, pineapple, stevia and xanthan gum in the bowl of a food processor (or use a bowl and mixer). Pulse a couple times to blend. Add all other ingredients BUT the heavy cream. Pulse a few times to mix everything well. Add the heavy cream and pulse 1-2 times. Scrape all of the ice cream mixture into a pitcher with a spout. I find that is the easiest way to pour it into my ice cream maker. Get your ice cream maker all ready, turn it on and slowly pour your ice cream mixture in the opening and freeze according to your maker’s instructions for fruited ice cream. Mine took exactly 20 minutes in my Cuisinart machine. This can either be served immediately for a soft-serve ice cream or scrape the ice cream into a lidded plastic freezer container to freeze a couple hours before scooping it up. And then ENJOY!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes about ten ˝ c. servings, each contains:

203 calories
23.9 g fat
5.99 g carbs, 1.29 g fiber, 4.7 g NET CARBS
.7 g protein
18 mg sodium
49 mg potassium
14% RDA Vitamin A, 11% manganese

I'll report back if this surprises me and gets harder in the freezer overnight. I sure HOPE not! That would make me very

Last edited by buttoni; 02-04-2013 at 03:15 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Oh yum! That looks awesome and I bet it tastes fantastic!
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Yaz. I thought it was real good, but I'm prejudiced. Next time I'm going to try this basic mix with canned pitted cherries instead of coconut and pineapple and see how that comes out.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
O My Peggy. That looks wonderful! You had me going when I saw the coconut cream. My sister will love this recipe. Thanks
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, well. It's back to the drawing board. This one got hard after 6 hours in the freezer. Man, I think low-carb ice cream is "rocket science". I give up. I guess I'm just going to have to soften all my ice cream awhile before trying to serve it and accept that it's going to be soft serve as a result. Grrrrrrrrrr.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Have you seen All Day I Dream about Food today? She says she has found the secret to scoopable ice cream--lots of xanthan and 1/4 cup of vodka.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well I could up the alcohol in mine to 1/4 c., but I hear too much xanthan gets gummy/sticky, so I'm scared to up that. I guess I could test it. I'll check out her ice cream recipes and see how much xanthan she is using. I used a formula for xanthan I found somewhere last year. Thanks Soobee.

Added note: I softened it after dinner, stirred and it tastes GREAT.

Last edited by buttoni; 02-04-2013 at 08:35 PM..
Old 02-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Oh my pineapple and coconut, 2 of my favorite words! Looks good too
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Well I could up the alcohol in mine to 1/4 c., but I hear too much xanthan gets gummy/sticky, so I'm scared to up that. I guess I could test it. I'll check out her ice cream recipes and see how much xanthan she is using. I used a formula for xanthan I found somewhere last year. Thanks Soobee.

Added note: I softened it after dinner, stirred and it tastes GREAT.
I wonder what would happen if you used gluc instead of a gum. I make a soft serve ice cream in my vitamix with protein powder, a tsp of konjac gluc, SF syrups and ice cubes. The addition of the gluc has made is very creamy with a really nice mouth feel. Prior to adding the gluc I would have to add almond milk and yogurt etc.. to get it creamy.

I know you're going for more of a harder ice cream but maybe the gluc would help?
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found Carolyn's Perfect Vanilla Ice Cream, Soobee. I just can't do condensed milk at all, but I'll try increasing the xanthan next batch and see what happens. And the gluc idea Yaz just might be worth a try also. Thanks so much for the suggestions ladies. This has been a source of frustration for me for nearly 4 years of ice cream testing. Just when I think I've finally found the answer, the stuff "rocks" up on me overnight.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I found Carolyn's Perfect Vanilla Ice Cream, Soobee. I just can't do condensed milk at all, but I'll try increasing the xanthan next batch and see what happens. And the gluc idea Yaz just might be worth a try also. Thanks so much for the suggestions ladies. This has been a source of frustration for me for nearly 4 years of ice cream testing. Just when I think I've finally found the answer, the stuff "rocks" up on me overnight.
Perfecting "scoopable" ice cream must be on the 'to-do' list of low carbers this year. Like you Peggy, I've been working on this for the past 2 years also and with each successive try, I just get more and more frustrated.

I just saw the blog that Soobee mentioned and that is going to be my next try. I have done so many different things purported to create 'scoopable' ice cream that I think I have to return to the basics. I even picked up two books from the library last week to help me understand the science involved, but I continue to be stymied.

...and I thought baking was a science...sheesh!

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I just softened my batch (about 2˝ c. left) and stirred in 3/4 tsp. xanthan and 1/4 tsp. gluc. It's super thick, gummy now, and in 1 hour, is already getting very hard around the edges. So that's either too much to use both, or that just isn't going to work for me either. Maybe using less, or just using ONE of them would have been better. Sigh. So frustrating. I've about decided I'm not going to use ANY artificial sweeteners in my ice cream and just use pureed fruit or a Tbs. honey in future. I'm beginning to think they are pure evil in ice cream.

Last edited by buttoni; 02-05-2013 at 10:37 AM..