Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Lack of frozen cauliflower (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/796268-lack-frozen-cauliflower.html)

SkeeterN 02-04-2013 07:42 AM

Lack of frozen cauliflower

frozen cauliflower must be catching on. I cannot tell you how often I cannot find it in my Grocery store. I can find the heads but even sometimes those are gone especially during a holiday. I have to buy them a week or so ahead or they won't be there.

Charski 02-04-2013 08:26 AM

I'm not a fan of frozen anyway, it has an "off" taste and texture to it that I just don't care for.

I've never seen a shortage of fresh here - but then, they grow it about 10 miles from home! :D

catkan 02-04-2013 08:44 AM

There is only one brand of frozen cauliflower I like. All the others have that off taste to me.

ravenrose 02-04-2013 09:28 AM

here it is almost impossible to find because the stores don't carry it. I think the fresh produce is so good in California that we have a lot less frozen stuff available. there are those stupid things in expensive, carby sauces, but not real vegetables.

the frozen is better and easier for mashed cauliflower, but otherwise, the fresh is so much better.

The Chicken Lady 02-04-2013 10:04 AM

I guess it's all in what you get used to. I was raised eating fresh vegetables in the summer and frozen in the winter, but since we never grew cauliflower frozen was all we ever got and that is what tastes good to me. I'm also lazy and I like the convenience of frozen.

Barbo 02-04-2013 10:23 AM

Here in So. Cal. We rarely find ourselves without cauliflower of either fresh or
frozen. Since low carbing for years I am a bit weary of it. I know, I know you
all are going to throw me out on me arse for saying this.

Just taking a little cauli/break...

SkeeterN 02-04-2013 01:01 PM

Making mashed cauliflower I do not really notice that big of a difference (off taste wise) I like to have both on hand.

maggieanne 02-04-2013 06:38 PM

The store needs to order more.. .stop at the office and complain (nicely) They get at least 4 frozen trucks in a week, so there's no reason to be out. I worked for 31 years at Kroger and I know how it works. Good luck!

Snickygirl 02-05-2013 07:26 AM

I agree. So many times I have gone through the entire store and loaded up on all the ingredients for recipies calling for frozen cauli, and then when I get to the last isle where the frozen veggies are...they don't have any! I should remember to check there first.

I've always wondered about that, why they have every other veggie in stock but cauli. I'm tired of buying big bags of cauli / broc mix and separating out the cauli!

The Chicken Lady 02-05-2013 09:43 AM

I watch the food channel a lot and I see chefs making cauli puree all the time. They do it a lot on chopped, I think it's the new food fad.

That Girl 02-05-2013 10:47 AM

Here's a goofy question......Do you guys have trouble finding fresh Cauliflower that doesn't have a bunch of black marks all over it? I swear, around here that's all we can find...very rarely will I come home with a pure white head of it....

watcher513 02-05-2013 03:39 PM

That Girl, not a goofy question at all. Just cut them off if they're just on the surface. It happens. It's a sign of getting older or starting to spoil (long storage before we see them I'd think). "The longer the cauliflower is stored, the more likely the curds will oxidize". "Try to use within 5 days".

Perdita 02-05-2013 03:49 PM

I've also noticed this w/frozen cauli. I have better luck with Target than with my grocery chains.

(My main grocery chain is also increasingly not actually stocking/shelving whatever cut of beef is on sale that week, but that's another thread.)

watcher513 02-06-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perdita (Post 16241858)
(My main grocery chain is also increasingly not actually stocking/shelving whatever cut of beef is on sale that week, but that's another thread.)

Always ask for a raincheck!