Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Head spinning over which protein powder to choose (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/796195-head-spinning-over-protein-powder-choose.html)

Seeking 02-03-2013 12:48 PM

Head spinning over which protein powder to choose

Yikes! There's too many! Helppppp!!!! :p

I'm looking for an all-natural protein powder that provides all 9 amino acids that can be used in cooking and baking, such as pancakes, muffins, maybe even some breads. I don't think I'll be using it very much for shakes.

I don't want vanilla or chocolate or any other flavor, just plain good old unflavored. Also, needs to have as few ingredients on the list as possible and no GMOs.

Anyone have any suggestions?

dmburk 02-03-2013 01:15 PM

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...in-powder.html

tofucheez 02-03-2013 05:07 PM

I mix the NOW pea protein powder with Growing Naturals brown rice protein powder.

Mistizoom 02-03-2013 06:26 PM

I like Natural Factors Whey Factors. No Sugar added, no artificial sweeteners, GMO Free, BSE and rBGH free (from cows that have not been treated with growth hormones). Has all 9 essential amino acids plus some non-essential ones. Nice clean flavor, no aftertaste, mixes easily.

SkeeterN 02-04-2013 07:32 AM

I really like Designer Whey plain and simple. Netrition carries it and they also carry it in the specialty section at Kroger

Yaz 02-04-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16237888)
I like Natural Factors Whey Factors. No Sugar added, no artificial sweeteners, GMO Free, BSE and rBGH free (from cows that have not been treated with growth hormones). Has all 9 essential amino acids plus some non-essential ones. Nice clean flavor, no aftertaste, mixes easily.

Are you using the unflavoured one? I see that it's a concentrate so I'm hoping it won't have that nasty taste that the Isolate's have.

rosethorns 02-04-2013 09:39 AM

I had to taste them to see what i could handle and like.

My vitamin store had these little packages to taste of differnet brands.... $2. each. You might be able to try this.

ravenrose 02-04-2013 10:02 AM

isolates have a nasty taste? I don't think so. I use Isopure unflavored and it's great in baking.

Yaz 02-04-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16238835)
isolates have a nasty taste? I don't think so. I use Isopure unflavored and it's great in baking.

For MY taste, the isolates are nasty. I have not found 1 that I can handle. I've tried about 5 or 6 brands/flavours and I've given up. :)

I prefer baking and making shakes with concentrates. :)

Soobee 02-04-2013 12:16 PM

DH can taste whey protein in anything. He says it tastes musty and doesn't like anything I make with it. I think it tastes great. I guess YMMV. I have had to rework the Fantastic Flour MIs so he can use it too. Now I use pea protein, which he doesn't mind at all in baking.

Yaz 02-04-2013 01:00 PM

I like to use Pea protein in cakes, but I'm not having much luck using it in breads. I find that it makes things too moist.

Are you having this issue?

Soobee 02-04-2013 02:44 PM

Not so far, but I like moist quickbreads. The only other doughs I have been making recently are Maria's. I guess the psyllium offsets the pea protein.

Mistizoom 02-04-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaz (Post 16238668)
Are you using the unflavoured one? I see that it's a concentrate so I'm hoping it won't have that nasty taste that the Isolate's have.

I use the unflavored in recipes and the double chocolate flavor to drink. I just tried some of the unflavored as is (powder) and mixed with a little water. It tastes very mild to me, kind of like cooked milk, and I am very sensitive to aftertaste (did not like Jay Robb whey protein because of an aftertaste).

ETA: Just noticed Jay Robb is isolate, maybe that's why I didn't like it! Never knew there was a big difference between concentrate and isolate in flavor, but now I know what you mean.

Yaz 02-04-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16239937)
I use the unflavored in recipes and the double chocolate flavor to drink. I just tried some of the unflavored as is (powder) and mixed with a little water. It tastes very mild to me, kind of like cooked milk, and I am very sensitive to aftertaste (did not like Jay Robb whey protein because of an aftertaste).

ETA: Just noticed Jay Robb is isolate, maybe that's why I didn't like it! Never knew there was a big difference between concentrate and isolate in flavor, but now I know what you mean.

Thanks so much! I think I can get your brand locally. So I'm going to try it out. :)