Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Help! What to do with all this peeled garlic (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/796077-help-what-do-all-peeled-garlic.html)

Mrs S 02-02-2013 02:26 PM

Help! What to do with all this peeled garlic

I bought a giant 3lb bag of peeled garlic at Costco for a fantastic price. However I'm running out of ways to use it. I'm freezing some but still have a pound I'd like to use up. So far I've made roasted garlic hummus, beef(less) burgundy, caesar dressing and pesto. Any other ideas that are low carb?

Thanks!

Perdita 02-02-2013 02:34 PM

Google "chicken with 40 cloves of garlic" (really). Pretty classic dish, you'll find lots of variations.

LastRick 02-02-2013 04:03 PM

Pickle it. Seriously.

You can google around for a recipe but basically it's going to be something like garlic, water + apple cider vinegar, cloves, peppercorns, salt, splenda, other spices into a pot; boil for a few minutes and stick in a jar in the fridge. I let it sit for a few weeks and then just eat them with a spoon.

Delicious.

dianafoot 02-02-2013 04:33 PM

Oh man, I sometimes roast 20-30 cloves in the pan with a chicken. It becomes soft and sweet and caramelized and you can spread it on bread like butter. I probably use 10 garlic cloves a day, usually crushed and sauteed for things like brussel sprouts or crushed and smeared on chicken or fish before cooking.

If you saute crushed garlic in a pan with a little olive oil until it turns golden, you can put it on a salad instead of bacon bits or croutons. It is amazing. That is, if you don't eat it all before you can get it to the salad plate.

drjlocarb 02-02-2013 05:28 PM

Spread on bread????

Surely you jest.

greybb1 02-02-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 16236184)
Spread on bread????

Surely you jest.

Nope, she's not jesting! Roasting it (I coat it in olive oil and wrap up in foil) mellows out the taste and you don't get that sharp bite that you do from raw garlic. It's pretty much the difference between raw onions and caramelized onions used in Onion Soup.

Charski 02-02-2013 07:25 PM

Oh it's AWESOMENESS roasted til soft as buttah and then spread on bread. You can't beat the sweet garlicky goodness that way!

As for the peeled cloves, I just stick the whole bag in the freezer and pull them out as needed. They last a good long while in there if you make sure to press out as much air as possible while resealing the zip top.

dianafoot 02-03-2013 04:23 AM

Getting a three pound bag of peeled garlic at a good price might just tip me over the edge into joining Costco!

Mrs S 02-03-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16236666)
Getting a three pound bag of peeled garlic at a good price might just tip me over the edge into joining Costco!

I'm finding that my costco memebership is invaluable for low carbing. The pricing on eggs, produce, cheese, HWC and bags of nuts makes it pretty much pay for itself in no time.

Mrs S 02-03-2013 08:03 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't eat bread though I loved roasted garlic spread on it dearly, especially with a little brie. I'm thinking of making a carmelized garlic and goat cheese tart with a hazelnut crust. That should use up a nice chunk of it.

greybb1 02-03-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs S (Post 16236967)
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't eat bread though I loved roasted garlic spread on it dearly, especially with a little brie. I'm thinking of making a carmelized garlic and goat cheese tart with a hazelnut crust. That should use up a nice chunk of it.

please let us know how it tastes then share the recipe. ;) it sounds wonderful. I love garlic, I love goat cheese and i love hazelnuts. :yummy:

ladeeda 02-04-2013 02:27 PM

Make Garlic Pizza...don't know a good recipe....does anyone else?

sherrymyra 02-06-2013 06:48 PM

Question on freezing the peeled garlic. When thawed what is the texture like? Can you still use it in a garlic press like fresh garlic?

flatferenghi 02-07-2013 05:07 AM

i once bought a jar of peeled garlic cloves.

at SHOPRITE, I could not use it fast enough. it turned rancid on me. I am buying much smaller quantities and unpeeled. I also use minced garlic most of the time. but sometimes I like to use the real deal as it were. Garlic cloves do a better job of keeping out the vampires than the dry sprinkle version. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

tofucheez 02-07-2013 05:49 AM

I was wondering if the prepeeles whole cloves are as pungent as fresh raw garlic. I have been tempted many times by that big bag at Costco, but was afraid the cloves might not have as much punch. What do you guys think?

flatferenghi 02-07-2013 07:36 AM

the pre-peeled were garlicky enough for me.

i would get them again, but in a smaller quantity. FF

tofucheez 02-07-2013 06:07 PM

Thanks FF--I go through loads of garlic so the quantity isnt a problem. Just didn't want it to be "tame"garlic!

BTW, may I ask what your screenname means?