Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
No other ideas on what went wrong? It's definitely too dry to serve as a birthday cake. Maybe I need to keep trying other recipes?
Rose - it may have been the glass pan but I wouldn't say for certain. I always make it in either a bundt pan or two round metal cake pans. I hate to have you give up on it - it's such a great cake. Perhaps try half recipe again and use metal or silicone pans.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
If it's a Pyrex type glass pan, you always need to lower the oven temperature by 25 degrees.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
If it's a Pyrex type glass pan, you always need to lower the oven temperature by 25 degrees.
Yes, it was a pyrex-type pan.
I had to bake it quite a bit longer at the normal temp. If I lowered the temp, it would have maybe doubled the cooking time. Could that be right?
I think I'll try it again this weekend in a metal pan. I don't know what I'm going to do with all this cake though?

Any other thoughts?
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post

Any other thoughts?
Yes Did you try the zucchini cake? I think you owe it to yourself to give that one a try, since the one you did try was problematic.

HOWEVER if you want a fudgy cake, maybe you should stick with the one you are working with now. The zucchini cake has the texture of "real" cake, and that may not be what you are looking for.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Yes Did you try the zucchini cake? I think you owe it to yourself to give that one a try, since the one you did try was problematic.

HOWEVER if you want a fudgy cake, maybe you should stick with the one you are working with now. The zucchini cake has the texture of "real" cake, and that may not be what you are looking for.
Dang!! I meant to buy zucchini when I was out yesterday and forgot. This is definitely one I still want to try - just have to get the zucchini.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
oooh- I'm going to try the german one next!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
I've recently made both the almond flour fudge cake and the chocolate mayonnaise pound cake. I think I have to give the mayo cake props for being more like a standard chocolate cake recipe and showcasing the chocolate flavor better.

The almond fudge cake is, well, fudgier, but I feel like flavor takes a back seat to a certain extent (I'm getting more 'sweet' and almondy than chocolate). However, it may be one of those things that tastes better on day 2.

I followed both recipes pretty closely except that I tried some tagatose as part of the sweetener mix in the fudge cake.

Those making the almond fudge cake, be aware the batter is VERY VERY thick, thicker than even a boxed brownie mix. You could literally pat the batter into the pan with your fingers rather than pour. I worried I'd done something wrong but it came out okay.
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

OK, I made the almond fudge cake again, this time in an 8x8 metal pan. I had to bake it 15 minutes longer than the recipe specifies as the middle was still liquid. The cake has great flavor and pretty good texture except around the edges where it is quite crunchy. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I'm not going to have a change to get to the store til later in the week, but I'd definitely like to give the zucchini cake a go.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:38 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Is your oven gauge correct?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Is your oven gauge correct?
I checked if within the last few months and it was fine. I could check it again and see. I'm not having issues with anything else I'm making, though.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
my fave off plan choc cake was

angel food or yellow cake with 3 thick layers of chocolate icing in between. if u can do a low carb version of that, then u can invite me. i will bring a present, sing a song, and do the cleaning up after. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

My oven temp seems to be accurate. I don't know why my cake is taking longer to cook than specified. The recipe says to test with a toothpick which should come out clean.
I put a layer of ganache over the cake before frosting. By the next evening, the cake had softened around the edges, so maybe that's what I'll have to do to keep it from being so dry.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
angel food or yellow cake with 3 thick layers of chocolate icing in between. if u can do a low carb version of that, then u can invite me. i will bring a present, sing a song, and do the cleaning up after. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Sounds yummy! Maybe that will be my next project after figuring out the chocolate cake/chocolate frosting dilemma.
I do LOVE angel food cake with chocolate frosting. My grandma used to make the BEST and I never figured out how she did it.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
It may be too late to experiment but I just spotted a recipe for chocolate cake/cupcakes that I hadn't seen before on the web--it looks promising. Google "Satisfying Eats: The Best Chocolate Cupcakes EVER" and you'll find it.

I typically like a combination of a nut flour and coconut flour to get a nice cakey texture, and this recipe has enough fat and eggs to make it work. It is all sweetened with stevia and I wouldn't do _that_ but I've never been able to make _that_ work well.

The accompanying chocolate ganache/frosting recipe doesn't look half bad, either.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalatraza View Post
It may be too late to experiment but I just spotted a recipe for chocolate cake/cupcakes that I hadn't seen before on the web--it looks promising. Google "Satisfying Eats: The Best Chocolate Cupcakes EVER" and you'll find it.
This definitely looks worth trying! Thanks! And, you gave me another recipe blog to read!! Yay!