Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Can I use vegetable powders in baking?

I know that people use vegetable powder in smoothies and food bars but what about using a veggie powder as a flour? Does this work?
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
such as? what is vegetable powder? most flour ingredients are made with plant materials so are in some sense "vegetable," but that doesn't seem to be what you mean.

there are a lot of good low carb flour ingredients you can find out about reading the threads here. if you DID have a powdered vegetable, I suspect it would not work at all well and have a lot more carbs too. I suggest eating your vegetables normally.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Interesting question. I have a sample size of carrot powder and pumpkin powder (both from spice sage) living in my cabinet and haven't a clue what to do with either. . . .
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
It may work - a lot of things that need a little thickening call for pureeing some of the cooked veggies and adding back to the soup, stew, potroast, etc.

Would be an interesting experiment for sure! Let us know if you try it!

I dehydrate a lot of summer veggies like zucchini and yellow squash and kale. I bet I could powder those down in my Vitamix and use them as a thickener for soup...hmmmmm..........
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I use powdered tomato that I dried, also dry cauliflower for soups. I haven't thought of others.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

So nobody knows yet whether vegetable powders may be used in baking?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I have a feeling that vegetable powders would be very strong tasting and wouldnt make very good bread and esp would be too strong to make sweet treats.

The main uses I have seen for dehydrated vegetables or powders have been in small quantities to flavor savory things - such as soups or salad dressings.

Also, dehydrated veggies have a lot of carbs - when you take out all the water, and shrink them down and then grind them up. So it may not really have much benefit over using other flour substitutes. For eg, 1 oz of dehydrated green beans has 20g carbs... thats about the same for 1 oz of flour. Now granted, there is more vitamins in there.

Why dont you try using the vegetable powders and let us know what works for you?
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I have a feeling that vegetable powders would be very strong tasting and wouldnt make very good bread and esp would be too strong to make sweet treats.

The main uses I have seen for dehydrated vegetables or powders have been in small quantities to flavor savory things - such as soups or salad dressings.

Also, dehydrated veggies have a lot of carbs - when you take out all the water, and shrink them down and then grind them up. So it may not really have much benefit over using other flour substitutes. For eg, 1 oz of dehydrated green beans has 20g carbs... thats about the same for 1 oz of flour. Now granted, there is more vitamins in there.

Why dont you try using the vegetable powders and let us know what works for you?
Ah ok. You make some very good points. I hadn't thought about the high carbs for vegetable powders. Thanks for your input; I suppose that kills it. Almond flour would still be the best for low-carb baking.