Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassySauce
Stats: 205/192/135
WOE: General LC
Start Date: Restart 10/13
Post your recipes for LC 'candy' please!

Hello! I read in another thread about other LCers making their own 'candy', and a couple people posted great recipes but was wondering what good stuff others might have. Thanks!
SassySauce is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jannybunny
Stats: 175/110/115 restart 187/146/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/4/2008 restarted for the last time 1/3/2013
In the "recipe room" of this forum, there is a whole list of candies with recipes
Jannybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks. Will give a look-see!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I'm not one for making anything that's too much work. This one is a favorite and easy-peasy: melt coconunt oil, add unsweetened cocoa powder (the best quality you can afford), add SF sweetener of choice, add vanilla or PB, or other no-sugar flavorings, if desired. Mix all and taste for sweetness/chocolatey-ness. Place a sheet of non-stick foil onto a plate or baking sheet w/the edges crimped up as "sides." Pour the mixture onto the foil, spread evenly, and stick in the freezer. You'll have your chocolate "bark" in just a few minutes. When frozen very hard, break into chunks and store in zip lock bags. I usu. make a couple of batches, one w/just cocoa/vanilla flavor, and one w/PB added. I tried some recently with some of the Boston Cream Pie flavor Capella drops added in, and that was pretty tasty. One note: if you do use granulated sweetener, your candy may be a bit crunchy, but it doesn't bother me. I suppose if you were inclined, you could re-heat the ingredients to let the sweetener melt in. As far as carbs are concerned, you can determine that by how much of each ingredient you use. I think I started my first batch w/ 1/3 cup or so of melted coconut oil and went from there. It does help when you get a strong craving for chocolate/candy or something else sweet. I think some LC recipe sites call this Coconut Bark.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Toasted Coconut Candy

I got this idea from a coconut oil recipe posted on the Atkins Community forums a couple years ago (before joining here). This candy is a delicious way to boost your intake of healthy coconut oil and coconut "painlessly". It is not, however, suitable for Induction, due to the coconut and nuts. This reminds me of those rich butter mints, only cherry-coconut-almond flavored! Mmmmm they sure are GOOD! It's also good with a bit of almond extract and/or some chopped pecans pleasant change of pace. My fav is just the coconut though.

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. softened cream cheese
¼ c. (1 oz). dessicated, unsweetened coconut, UNTOASTED
¼ c. (1 oz.) dessicated, unsweetened coconut, TOASTED
½ c. coconut oil
1 oz. roasted almonds, ground coarsely
1 tsp. almond extract
3 T. coconut flour
¼ c. powdered erythritol sweetener
½ tsp. Fiberfit or other liquid sweetener to taste
Tiny pinch of salt

DIRECTIONS: Toast ¼ cup coconut on a pan in a 400º oven for 5-6 minutes or until just golden. Remove and cool. Line an 8×11 pan with waxed paper large enough to hang over the side a bit, so you’ll have something to grab onto when this is set. I speak from experience when I caution you to watch that coconut closely in the oven lest it burn. I’ve burned several batches in my time getting distracted in the kitchen. So I have learned to not start my recipes until the coconut has been safely removed from the oven.

In a mixing bowl, whip the soft cream cheese with a rubber spatula. Add both the toasted and untoasted coconut, as well as the chopped almonds. Stir well. Next add the salt, coconut flour, erythritol, Fiberfit and almond extract. Add the coconut oil last. Beat the candy well to make your best attempt to incorporate the oil into the candy. When it is as blended as best you can get it, scrape it out onto the wax-paper lined pan. Using your spatula or hands, spread the candy out as evenly as possible. Some of the oil will rise to the top. That’s OK, as it freezes and can’t really be seen on the finished candy. Place pan on a level shelf/surface in your freezer 4-5 minutes. Remove and cut into 48 pieces (6×8). Return to the freezer for 30 minutes. Remove and remove/separate pieces by lifting the waxed paper up and bending them apart. This will melt/soften quickly, so do not leave it out of the freezer ahead of consuming. Just take out what you are eating immediately.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 48 pieces that are about 1¼” square. Each piece contains:

51.4 calories
5.11 g fat
1.06 g carbs, .6 g fiber, .46 NET CARBS
.72 g protein
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Peanutty Coconut Candy

Another flavor combo I've always loved in candy is coconut and peanuts. This candy is REALLY good (addictive for me, personally) and so easy! I usually only do it at Christmas because I like this TOO much!

PEANUTTY COCONUT CANDY

These are very tasty and thanks to the protein, are quite filling! I haven’t had this candy in many years and wanted something sweet today. Got to wondering if I could come up with a recipe that is ANA acceptable, but not until OWL phase. And I’ve come close. This recipe tastes very similar, though texture is very different from the original crunchy Butterfinger-like candy. They used to sell this hard toasted coconut candy by-the-pound in old-fashioned candy stores many moons ago. Kind of like the old Zagnut candy bars, if anyone is old enough to remember those. It was always my favorite candy and I would ask Mom and Dad to buy me some when we went to Sears (giving my age away, but that was way back when Sears sold candy by the pound in all their stores).

This is not Induction friendly but you OWL folks can sure enjoy it! I plan on adding this to my holiday candy platter!

INGREDIENTS:

½ c. vanilla whey protein
½ tsp. cinnamon
2 T. granular Splenda
½ c. unsweetened coconut
¼ c. chopped walnuts or pecans
4 T. melted butter
¼ c. natural peanut butter (I use Laura Scudders)
2 T. heavy cream
1 T. sugar free maple syrup

DIRECTIONS: Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Melt butter and peanut butter in microwave and add to dry ingredients. Add cream and syrup last. Stir well to blend, mashing as you go to press it into a dough. Place cupcake papers into muffin pan and scoop 2T. into each paper. Press firmly in bottom with fingers to form nice patties. Cover tightly in lidded storage container or in ziploc bag and store in refrigerator. These can be frozen, too.

I imagine these could be made with other flavors of whey protein, for variety, but naturally the flavor will not be the wonderful peanut/coconut/maple combo that are so good together. Have fun experimenting!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 10 servings, each containing:

167 calories
7.0 g fat
3.29 g carbs
1.4 g fiber
7.1 g protein
1.89 g NET CARBS
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Not sure if you're looking for "serve to company candy" or "eat outta the fridge candy," LOL. That said, I second the motion for Peggy's coconut candy above. As long as you're a coconut fan, it's super yummy and addictive.

Other current favorites here:

"Salted Brown Butter Cheesecake Refrigerator Candy Stuff" from DJ Foodie's site -- a little more fuss than usual for me, but soooo worth it if you dig brown butter

"Truffle Cups" from Linda Sue's site (genaw) -- I add a little powdered low carb milk to stablize the chocolate a little longer when it's out of the refrigerator, but this does add carbs

"Crunchy No-Bake Snack Bars" from Lauren (Healthy Indulgences) -- These are soooo rich, I definitely put them in the candy category. I make the base in small silicone molds, pop them out, and put a generous dab of the ganache on top of each piece. You could also go the bar route and slice into small squares, but, well, I never make it to the small part. *blush*

I believe all of these have been posted on this site at some point as well. Sorry, I tend to save the recipes with the link to their original sites because that's where updates and such are more likely to get posted.

Happy candy-making! Let us know what your favorites are!
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
This is killer good -

Peanut Butter Fudge - LowCarbFriends Recipes

and here is a thread devoted to it and its many iterations:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ge-recipe.html

These two for truffles are good too:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-truffles.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-truffles.html
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

So happy with you all's suggestions! (And I know others appreciate them as well!)

The lack of 'sweets' was a stumbling block for me last LC go-around so I want to put some healthy LC options in place to help along. Thanks so much again. (and keep 'em coming!)

And I DOOOO Love, love, love coconut.......
Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Great suggestions. Thanks. Now to decide which one to make for Super Bowl party.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote